Notices

Class of June 2013 Pt 5

Old 07-07-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Can I still join the June group? I didn't realize there was one, LOL. My sobriety date is June 20. Still doing great! Today got a little tedious because I mostly did housework, laundry, etc, getting ready for Monday. I feel a little restless. Going to have a ginger ale and read some on my Kindle before dinner. Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you all had a great weekend!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:09 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Alexa

D
Old 07-07-2013, 05:13 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thank you!!! Coming here each and every day for the past few weeks has been ESSENTIAL to my staying sober!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:21 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hi Alexa, great job staying sober! Welcome, I'm fairly new to the site my sobriety date is 6/27. The support here has been crucial for me.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaytiP View Post
I am all over an SR world tour, although New England probably is not the most exciting place to see in the US, I think most people would choose NYC or California!
Lol. You're probably right, but I've always liked the idea of doing a colors tour. Every fall I drool over pictures of NE aflame. We have deciduous trees by me, but we don't get the same gorgeous fall extravaganza that you guys get.

I'm not a frequent June poster, but I did want to drop in and say hi. I lost track of days, but I think I'm a little over a month now.

I'm still a mess by almost all metrics, but I will say, I'm noticing with some relaxation and comfort how normal the idea of being a lifelong non-drinker seems. Picturing an entirely alcohol-free future used to make me uncomfortable...I wanted to caveat everything with possible exceptions (e.g., toasts at a wedding, a possible trial run at moderate drinking in a couple years, etc.). Now when I picture a life as a permanent nondrinker, my subconscious gives me a shrug. "Eh," it responds, "fine." Then it glares at me and, growling a little, continues, "but mess with my cheese or my Netflix and I will mess you up." My subconscious can get a little hostile. But that shrug means a lot to me. I'd like to hug it for that shrug. I'll deal with the cheese thing later.

Hi and welcome to Alexa and anybody else I missed by coming to this board too rarely!
Old 07-07-2013, 07:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by ippochick View Post
where are you, husky? here in the uk we've had days of temperatures in the low 80s and we're complaining it's too hot! when it cools down again we'll complain it's too cold, most likely while standing politely in a queue. got to love us brits!!
Right in the middle of Baltimore, so it gets pretty hot. I grew up in northern Michigan, and miss the snow and cold. Anything above 80 is too hot. You can always put on more clothes when it's cold, but when it's hot, about all you can do is go about naked, and after that, well, not much more!

Oddly, the ocean is about a three+ hour drive; you can't swim in the bay, because it's too polluted. So we look closer to the water than we are. If you fall into the Baltimore harbour, you get rushed to the hospital for decontamination.

Though the city has a very historical character, and a lot of charm, in a gritty way. I like it much better than DC; more down to earth, not as snobby, and more friendly.

@Allie: Nice to see you,and at over a month! It's fun to lose track of the days.

I'm also a huge cheese fan, from the artisan to *gasp* bar cheese. Yes, that stuff you get in a crock, that is perfect on Melba toast! I crave it, sometimes.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Hang in there, Ali!

Husky, try calling that AA number again. Maybe the grouch you talked to was just filling in for someone. Maybe you'd get somebody more pleasant this time.

Husky and seems like everybody else on here, how fortunate it is that you all live near beaches! I haven't been to the beach in nine years! Hopefully next year.
Good idea, I was planning to on Monday. If I get the same person/tone, I'm going to tell them I find them rude, point blank, and that they shouldn't have a web page up stating what they do, if they're going to act like that. It could be tragic for a person in a crisis to call, and get that treatment. I'm happy I didn't call on day one.

But more than anything, I'm not going to push things, and let it drop.

So I don't find a group.

I'm still sober, maybe a bit lonely due to my work schedule and my partner's not matching too well, but I can still work on sobriety without a group.

If anything, I'm leaning towards starting a group that would mirror a website like this: A weekly meet where people of all approaches can gather and talk, without having to adhere to any one program. I think that would help a whole lot of people.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HuskyPup View Post
If you fall into the Baltimore harbour, you get rushed to the hospital for decontamination.

I'm also a huge cheese fan, from the artisan to *gasp* bar cheese. Yes, that stuff you get in a crock, that is perfect on Melba toast! I crave it, sometimes.
Lol re decontamination protocol. I thought they were working on this whole clean-up-Chesapeake push. Did that die when the recession tanked state budgets?

There is such a thing as bad cheese (rubber cheddar, I'm looking at YOU!), but it's the rare rind that doesn't have something to recommend it. Even the velveta/roti crockpot special has its own artery-stopping beauty. I'm currently enjoying some raw milk cheddars and hoping that all the brouhaha about raw cheese hazards is overblown.

Hope you have better luck with your next call Monday!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

28th day sober on Monday!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

welcome alexa, wizard, and anyone i missed!

day 22 here. a busy week this week - psychiatrist appt this afternoon, alcohol team on weds, and therapy on friday...

have a great, sober day everyone. i am still amazed that i'm on day 22, and, like others have said, a lot of it is down to the incredible support here.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Whoohoo!! Day 5 and beginning the week without hangover or regret. Stay strong people and check-in often.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Mornng all.

Day 11 starts here and it's another blistering warm sunny day. Booooo. I want clouds and rain!

Hope everyone got through the night ok.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Day 11 JR...you're kicking ass!! Great job and hope you get some rain soon. It's gonna be hot and sunny all week here. Makes the running a little tougher but will hopefully melt some of this beer fat from my gut. Decided I'm going to try and slim down to my 'fighting weight' so people will note me for looking better, in addition to looking sober. That should help the ego!
Old 07-08-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I'm the opposite wth the weight, I'm trying to gain it again. I'm far too skinny due to not eating when drinking or sick. Stomach has shrunk tho so the appetite is non-existent.

Somehow don't think I'm going to get my rain wish, it's 22c here already. On top of not being used to this heat it makes me think of beer and being out enjoying myself.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

sunshine? in ireland? what sorcery is this?!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Yeah it's rare alright. But this week or two now will be our summer before our 11 month winter begins!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:04 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

It nearly rained here earlier... what?! Sunshine out again now though.

Well...morning. Not. Have had an odd one this morning. DD been awake during the night and then very tearful this morning so have just been chilling with her... I think it's because it's her first afternoon at big school bless her. She's gone off fine, very excited once there - as always the anticipation worse than the event!

2 hours to myself. Hmmm housework or read in the garden?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

read in the garden.

i remember my DD starting school, and how tiny she was. she's a strapping, stroppy year 8 now!
Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Yep I chose reading too Lol I have a strapping, stroppy 15 year old, it's a bit weird being back at the primary school... and so it all starts again!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

just had my appointment with my psychiatrist. he's increasing my quetiapine to 400mg daily to help with sleep and to stabilise my mood.

i have to have a liver function blood test next week. in january my ALT was at 38, just above the upper limit. between then and my quit date 3 weeks ago, my consumption was increasing exponentially. i'm a little worried, but it will be good to know how my poor, battered liver is doing now...