Notices

Class of April 2013 Part 5

Old 06-17-2013, 02:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dr dee you don't want to add OBGYN to your title after moderator?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
Yes, it makes sense. I was drinking when my mom died and it took me about a year to get to where I could work in sobriety. I felt stuck in grief up until this April. She died in April 2010. If I Could have stayed sober since summer 2011 when I joined SR I think I could have processed the grief sooner...

So just keep in mind when we are active in the addiction it slows all sorts of growth. And you need to be able to grieve sober and feel the feelings. You can do it

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
I had a similar experience dealing with grief and alcohol, although it wasn't death related. Was drinking through a really rough relationship with an alcoholic (the abusive type that you REALLY shouldn't be in a relationship with). I really loved the guy, but I made myself leave because he threatened my life and I felt so alone and wretched for so long. And when it ended, I just started drowning myself in alcohol, cigarettes, weed, etc. Retrospectively, that kept me from healing. It also messed with my thoughts and made it SO hard to process what happened. I was so hurt, confused, etc. for so long. And now that I've had some time to process it all sober... it's all so much easier.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by triathlynne View Post
It sounds stupid but I don't know if I could handle grief councelling!! I have been through PTSD councelling and I hated it. Urgh. I felt much, much worse afterwards. I need to figure out a better way to cope. I thought I had it down but obviously not. I was PMSing too, much worse than normal. Trying to decipher a connection here.
I found drum lessons to be way more therapeutic than a counselor. When I leave the counselor's office, I just feel depressed and am thinking about my issues. When I leave my drum lessons, I feel better than I did before going. What I am trying to say is maybe you could find a way to express the emotions without having to go to counseling.

PMS sucks. The first time it hit after I quit drinking was the WORST!! And I kind of didn't even realize what was going on until after it was over because I hadn't gone through that sober anytime that I could remember.... I literally cried and stayed in bed for the majority of a week. And posted on SR, of course. Of course it's one of those things that I was really used to using alcohol to drown out. (They say alcohol makes PMS worse and to avoid it during that time of month, but I think that is for people that drink much differently than I do... I mean DID.)
Old 06-17-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

10 weeks no alcohol!!!

And the morning of Day 3 no weed.

Last night was rough, and I kind of expect today to have some rough patches...

BUT I woke up this morning and I could hear it raining gently on the roof. I peeked out the window while still lying in bed.... and there was a rainbow stretching over the mountain and the sky was half cloudy, half sunny and looked gorgeous with the way the light is after the sun has just risen. I went outside and took a picture and a few minutes later, it was gone. I feel like it was there just so I'd wake up to it. (Yeah, sometimes, I think maybe I have a problem with thinking the world revolves around me, lol.)
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 weeks, DG! You're cruising right along! If you can quit alcohol and cigarettes then you can do it with weed

Just have to comment on the PMS topic (sorry guys). I never really had bad PMS, until just recently, and I am not only emotional, but am downright moody and miserable to be around. My poor hubby didn't know what happened to me until I finally spelled it out for him.

Sorry your are struggling, triathlynne. I think everyone is right here - alcohol just numbs us and being sober makes you deal with things, which is much healthier in the long run.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 & 3, DG!! That's awesome

The PMS and first day of cycle are past me now... wow, did I ever get moody this time around. Accused my husband of some things that I regret. He knows it's my PMS and now he's scared of my periods sober!! I don't blame him. This is nuts. I've got to get a grip.

Today my good friend brought over more vitamins. He's also a drinker and he's been researching how to heal from alcoholism and detox with nutrition and vitamins... I actually have inspired him I think. I think he's considered finally quitting himself!! That would be wonderful. Anyway, he has brought me vitamins over the past two days... today he dropped off more aminos, panthothenic acid (B5), GABA, and N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (or NAC), and some Bragg's raw apple cider vinegar. Eager to test the GABA. It's supposed to help with withdrawals and has a mild sedative or relaxing effect. When you drink, you decrease GABA levels, and so when you quit, the drop suddenly... resulting in the withdrawal and increase in cravings, and so on. Here's a link that explains the basics: GABA for the Treatment of Alcoholism | eHow

Triathlynne... hope you do consider a bereavement group. If not just regular individual counseling.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi class,

Just wanted to pop in and say that I am still sober, 51 days. Last couple of weeks have been tough, as I started taking an SSRI medication for my anxiety and compulsive behaviour (dermatillomania), but it is beginning to stabilise.

I have been seeing a very good psychiatrist for 4 weeks and next week I begin Cognitive Behavioural Therapy at a unit for anxiety and compulsive disorders. It will also involve habit reversal training, mindfulness meditation and group therapy. Have had these problems for 18 years, so am relieved to finally deal with it properly, in a stable environment, being back home again.

I will keep checking in, but feel I need to focus on the therapy now and also need some time off Internet. Have started reading a very nice collection of short stories called "Dear Life" by Alice Munro and am borrowing a lot of films at the library, last film I watched was "The Visitor", which was beautiful.

I am thinking of all of you, wishing you are doing well and are finding some peace and harmony.

Warm hugs,
S
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats on 51 days Sobreia... you're doing really well!

It's day 71 no alcohol and day 4 no weed for me. Gonna keep keepin' on.

Hope everybody is doing well.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sobreia, that is great!! The meditation, group, and habit reversal sound like an excellent plan And Alice Munro is a very good writer! Enjoy the stories. Congrats on day 51!
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Woo hoo, DG I see you've added the quit marijuana date to your signature... WTG!! Knew you would do it
Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Hi everybody, I'm back!

I had a fun vacation, made a lot of new friends, learned who was responsible for the rash of mysterious fires downtown a few years ago...

I think my favorite thing was watching the news every day, and every time they showed a mugshot we'd say "hey, there's George! George, look, you're on TV!"

I've got to jump back into work now, but I'll post more later!

Glad to be back!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Glad to have you back, Goat. Missed you!! I was just thinking this morning that it seemed like it was about time for your vacation to be over.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi guys, welcome back Goat! Ok, I have not been good about any of this. I fell deeper into depression. Stopping Prozac when you quit drinking because you feel too high, is always a terrible idea. I'm back on it now and it has acted quickly. Some side effects but nothing too bad. I think I may be able to start on the apartment and thinking about the future again after 3 weeks of sleeping and sweating. Despite everything I am still learning. I have a long way to go though.

I really would like to have my full faculties back. I watched Russel Brand destroy the anchors on Morning Joe and thought, "I used to be that guy."
Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good to see you checking in here again, Johnny!

I have a LONG way to go, too, so don't feel like you're alone in that.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Goat & Johnny, glad you're back!
Old 06-19-2013, 12:18 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey guys.
I've just re-read a message from a friend, and what they wrote makes a ton of sense.
I am recommitting myself to posting more.

I've never really left, have continued reading in an effort to keep up--but being silent doesn't really help anyone.

I'm sober still. Busy, and sober--which is nice. I've mired in a bit of "meh" attitude lately--about nearly everything. Not just sobriety. I'm holding out for the Magical Explosion of Awesome that is 90 days. That's what is keeping me ticking at the moment.

Of course I know there is no Magical Explosion, but I keep waiting for it. I'm eating decently, vitamins, exercise, blah blah blah. But--I still feel like I have pretty decent mood swings, my wife is about to drive me nuts, and Blue Dog seems to have ratcheted up his craziness, just for me.

It's all probably not as bad as I think it is--but it feels a lot more sharp. Everything has a sharpness to it that isn't entirely comfortable.

All in all--things are maintaining. Not great. Not shite. But maintaining. I'm not drinking, and I'm greatly thankful for that. I really don't even have any desire. My friend said they think I went from "just get through today" to "I know I can get through today" and it's true. I know I can.

I just need to recommit and get more involved with sobriety. I don't want to say it's easy, because we all know it isn't...but when I figured out the part that really works: "just don't drink" It really is easy.

It's all the other stuff that makes that particular piece hard.

Be Well, Bandicoots.
I am glad to see all of you--and a shoutout to Goat! Good on ya. New friends is always nice.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by ScoutBall View Post
I am glad to see all of you--and a shoutout to Goat! Good on ya. New friends is always nice.
Well, that was a bit tongue-in-cheek

Not sure jail friends are the kind of folks I wanna spend a whole lotta time with now that I'm out, but having friends in jail did make the time go a little faster. And we did laugh a lot, so that was nice.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I was winkin' at ya Goat, I did catch the tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Goat Johnny and Scout

& congrats Sobreia, Jennie and DG

D
Old 06-19-2013, 03:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Just got back from the orthodontist. Gonna have some sore teeth/gums soon! They tightened the braces pretty darn good this time.

Ortho is an hour drive away. Got lost in the city after I left. I used to live in that city 6 years ago. Felt like an idiot driving around in circles, missing the exit ramps and all... hadn't eaten all day. Ugh. Was able to stay calm through it all, amazingly. Being sober and taking all these vitamins is really changing my head!! Love it.

I feel like I've made some major improvements by not being so reactive, staying calm, and working my way through a situation that would ordinarily have knocked me on my arse and made me want a drink.