Notices

Class of March 2013 Part 13

Old 05-13-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Hello Marchers!

I've discovered that age really doesn't matter- life stays always interesting. Some good, some not so good. But even the seemingly not so good ones can have their good aspects. I don't consider surgery to be a "good" thing but it has forced me to take a much-needed pause and rest and relax. My kitty is ecstatic to have me home almost all of the time and I've been doing more reflecting than I usually have time for. Next week I'll hit 30 days totally sober and I'm so tickled about that! I don't plan to celebrate until I hit 60 days, however.

Aww, Toots, it can be deliciously fun teasing you a bit ;-). You are so great about supporting the rest of us! I hope you are doing well yourself.

MeSoSo, I so hope you get that job! I'll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed. As far as sometimes not posting here as much, I've seen that happen on my original thread, too. I think it may be that as we go through different stages, we have different needs. I have seen people who post multiple times a day on multiple threads who gradually (or suddenly) decrease frequency as their journey progresses. Some never post much but do read (and succeed) and the rest fall into the whole spectrum in between. My feeling is that we need to honor our own feelings on this as in many aspects of our journeys.

It is time-consuming to post frequently but this journey is so critically important that we do whatever it takes. Several times I have taken a different path - sometimes that choice bombed, other times it worked beautifully. I don't think I'm very different from anyone else!

Enough reflection for today! It's time for me to be at least a tiny bit productive

Lots of love and hugs,
Sass
Old 05-13-2013, 09:05 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Babs, so sorry to hear you couldn't post! Happy that you managed to stay sober.

S
Old 05-13-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Don't confuse early recovery for sobriety or recovery joygirl
Early recovery is rough - but none of us would stick with it longterm, if this was a good as it gets

it will get better - have patience - and lean on the support you have here

D
again Dee you are the best. You always make a person feel good.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saskia View Post
MeSoSo, I so hope you get that job! I'll be thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed. As far as sometimes not posting here as much, I've seen that happen on my original thread, too. I think it may be that as we go through different stages, we have different needs. I have seen people who post multiple times a day on multiple threads who gradually (or suddenly) decrease frequency as their journey progresses. Some never post much but do read (and succeed) and the rest fall into the whole spectrum in between. My feeling is that we need to honor our own feelings on this as in many aspects of our journeys.
Sassy, you are the BEST!

I do think I need to push myself to post more, if only because I feel that the interaction with the rest of you makes me feel more connected and accountable to you, which in turn can help me fight the drinking urges when they do come.

Hope you're feeling stronger every day!
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Thanks, MeSoSo! Yes, I see progress every day :-). And to know that I won't have those awful 8+ hour sieges of pain is such a relief!

If you think it would help you to post more, then by all means it sounds like a good idea. I very much enjoy being connected. It helps to keep me accountable to myself. I have no idea where I'll be in 3 months or longer. One day at-a-time :-)

S
Old 05-13-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Babs! How frustrating for you! If I couldn't check out all my threads, I'd go daft! Congratulations on 10 weeks, you offer such good support on the under 30 day thread.

Sass, you be as sassy as you like sweetie, I know it means you are feeling better! I love that you are seeing the positives in and around you, and you offer up great wisdom

Mesoso, on this journey, we come together and start out along the same path, some stick together, some climb different routes that occasionally intersect. Others climb routes which take them further away, others head back down the mountain til they feel stronger. A long as we are available to offer strength and support, or remember to call out if we are feeling in need of a helping hand, then who is to say which way is best or right. Good luck with the job. Lt us know if you get an interview. I once got a job because the one I applied for was filled, but the employer spoke to a friend weeks later, when she said she was looking for someone!

Things are getting busier here, with my daughter and grandson, plus doing my training. I also need to make some personal time to make the most of some short term counselling. I will be checking in daily, and reading often, but maybe not posting as much. That said, I can't help but give my 2 penn'orth if I see someone in need!!
I'm doing ok, I stopped drinking on 13th March and today is 13th May so 2 full months. In 2 weeks time I will equal my last attempt a couple of years ago, to me that will be a big step forward.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 sober months, Toots! WTG!

And wise thoughts to MeSooSo!

Hugs,
Sass
Old 05-13-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're back Babs

D
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Good morning troops, good to see you all. Stay strong, stay sober.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Hi all! Congrats on 2 months, Toots!

Things are going well with my recovery. For the first time in my life I feel like a non-drinker. I have fully accepted that I can't drink and I've been working daily on altering my perspective and outlook on myself and my life. I've been reading books on recovery non-stop and I'm ready to slow down with that so I've just downloaded a ton of fiction books to start getting lost in.

We have a busy summer coming up -- we close on our new house at the end of the month and then we have quite a bit of work to do before we move in. We're hoping to be in some time in June but it might not be until July. Then we move! Life is moving at a rapid pace!

Shoes, you're mom is lovely - thank you so much for sharing that photo of her with us.

North, the polar mommy & baby gave me the warm fuzzies. Mother's day was nice here - swimming and a cook out with my parents.

My brother is much older than I am and he has 4 amazing kids. My 20 year old niece is following in my footsteps in a major way and I know there isn't a darn thing I can do about it. Breaks my heart. Her brother called me to tell me what she's been up to on their vacation and he really could have been talking about me when I was her age. I'm heading over to meet up with them in a few days -- I'll try to have a talk with her but I know from experience there's nothing I can say to stop her - she'll have to find out for herself.

Hope everyone is having a great night, morning, day, etc!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

Although I know from my experience nothing anyone said would have made a difference until I was ready, I kinda wish people had bailled me up more in the early days....

I may not have listened but I would have known other people saw a problem, and kept the conversation in my head.

D
Old 05-13-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Congrats, Toots, on 2 months!

I just want to say congratulations on 2 months clean! It seems like you have so much more clean and sober time then 2 months, in the way you are so generous of spirit in supporting the Marchers on this and our manic Marchers threads!
I can't imagine what an amazing sober life you have ahead of you if you keep fighting this good fight.
You are truly special, and such a treasure to us Marchers 2013.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR keeps eating my posts today - congrats Toots!

D
Old 05-13-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Huge congrats Toots on two months!

Just a quick check-in - I hope everyone is doing well. I haven't been feeling very well (bad cold + morning sickness) so haven't been on for a few days. Going to try to catch up on posts today....

I've been thinking of all of you guys a lot, though. Lots of love to the Marchers :o)
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better soon bepresent

D
Old 05-14-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Hey Duff, I'm still in the middle of the Allan Carr book, I do want to finish it, but keep getting distracted by my fiction! It sounds like you have an awful lot going on over the summer, we have moved a lot during the last 12 years, so I do not envy you the stress, organisation and hard work involved. I preferred to do it myself rather than endure the huffing and sulking from hubby!! Be sure to find time for yourself to keep centred. There will be times of stress and anxiety ahead, so watch out for that AV trying to find a way in.
And enjoy your new home!
As for your niece, if she were mine I would try to talk to her. I would also write her from the heart. I also think, if she were mine, I would steer her here, to see informally, how alcohol affects the lives of people her age. You are right that you can't make her change, but perhaps, you can make her think. And if and when she is ready to reach out, she will know there is some one close to hand who cares. Good luck.

1day, thank you for your lovely words, I think my wisdom on alcohol comes partly from knowing for a long time I had a problem and partly from trying and failing to help an alcoholic husband.x

BP hope you feel better soon
Dee hope you're feeling much better now.

To all, many thanks for the congratulations !!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:09 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
sober date 4th march 2013

Good Morning Marchers

Well done indeed the Toots Lady, two months is awesome, your a genuine superstar
Have sort of given up counting but have just worked out that I have now achieved 72 days, the longest period in my life since I was 12.
As I write that I dont know whether or not I should
be proud or sad....I mean 12 years old, I have a Granddaughter older than that, thats scarey.
Anyway peeps have a wonderful day and huge thanks for all your postings, love you all.

Mick x
Old 05-14-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Just catching up with all the posts.
Glad the op went well Sass
Hope you feel better soon Bepresent
Sorry Mothers day was hard for you Shoes.
Glad your feeling better Dee
Duffster isnt it great to feel like a non-drinker, enjoy your books, I sometimes feel that we all get too absorbed with the not drinking thing and forget that life is still happening around us
Northlander thanks as always for your entertaining posts and pics.
Buddink keep racking up the days my friend.
Mesoso your doing great, sending you positive vibes for that job....you too Geek
Idayatatime stay well
Joygirl life does get better and better.
Marcher13 and Toots, thank you for caring, means a lot.

Love from a very chilly Kent

Mick x
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Good morning, Marchers!

Duffster, so happy you are feeling positive about recovery! I know how much of a struggle it can be. I've found that most of my time over the past year has been spent trying to get and stay sober. However, I feel that if that's what it takes, there is no more important thing to focus on at this time. At the appropriate time I expect that my need to spend this much time will decrease naturally so I'm not pushing it.

1day, your posts are insightful and positive! Happy you are with us!

BP, sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. From the 4th through 8th months of my pregnancy I felt the healthiest I think I've ever felt. Everyone told me I just glowed :-). Get better soon!

Toots, your thoughts about the source of your wisdom about alcohol are, IMO, right on. Previous struggles, whether our own or someone near us, have an effect. For me it was much harder to completely quit this time but I think I finally figured out and dealt with all of the reasons. However, my experience is different (not easier) in some respects from those really quitting for the first time. Now that I'm feeling solid, I'm aware of the need to avoid overconfidence but have the inside feeling and attitude of being very grounded. I'm working my recovery by solidifying my attitudes and thinking no matter how good I feel. You are such a solid teammate to have!

Mick, congrats on 72 days! We are who we are because of what we've been through, not in spite of it. Looking back at the time/opportunities we missed will happen for most of us but I think it's healthier to focus on the Now. I've been told twice that I have at most 5 years to live. The first time was 15 years ago (one of the times I quit, and I completely recovered from my serious heart condition) and the second time was 3 1/2 years ago (my liver) and I wasn't drinking then. It's never too late to stop drinking. And I hope you will celebrate instead of feeling embarrassed. We all know how difficult this journey is. (((hug)))

I hope all of my fellow Marchers have a good day!

Lots of love and hugs,
Sass
Old 05-14-2013, 03:17 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Thank you Sass, you are a diamond as always

Truth is I am not really embarrassed at all, its just when I think of how young I was when I started makes me realise how easily this addiction can take hold and how insidious everything was.
I honestly dont waste my time with regrets, doesnt achieve anything, just makes you sad and bitter inside, no in my mind better to focus on the here and now, cos thats real and something that you can input fully.

Love and ((((((Hugs))))) to you too Sass

Mick x