Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 8

Old 05-11-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pianowoman View Post
I am new to this forum, and new to recovery. My sobriety date is this year, January 3. Does this Class of January mean people who became sober in January?
Piano,
Yes, that's what it means. Welcome and congrats on your 4 months of sobriety. You will find some great, caring folks here. They have helped me tremendously. Our moderator, Dee74, is a wise, empathetic man who offers sage advice. Glad you are here!
W
Old 05-11-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Welcome to the class, Pianowoman!
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome pianowoman - and thanks for the kind words woodhead

Happy Mothers day for Sunday to all the Mothers

D
Old 05-11-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

to the class of January Pianowoman.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Last night, I had a glimpse into my future and it wasn't pretty.

A woman in her late 60s is an extra like me in a musical production I've mentioned in a few posts. She consistently shows up for rehearsals -- and now performances -- with wine on her breath. Her eyes are bloodshot, she slurs her words (tries to disguise this with a sometimes-there / sometimes-not British accent) and she often has problems remembering from which side of the stage she should enter & what to do once she's actually on the stage.

Last night was really bad. During downtime she was sitting in the mixed-gender green room without her costume jacket, wearing just the accompanying low cut, loose fitting tank top that goes under it, but without a bra. (The tank is definitely not something I would wear without the jacket unless sitting in one of the women's dressing rooms, and under no circumstances would I wear it without a bra!)

Green rooms are noisy places: people chat, watch videos on their laptops / phones and play cards. She was trying to watch the live stream of the production on the monitor and was muttering under her breath that people should quiet down. The mutterings became louder and soon she was ranting and gesturing, and then said -- to no one in particular -- that she would have gone home had she known people were going to be so loud. This was the saddest part. You cannot wander out of a performance hall in full costume and "go home" in the middle of a production.

I don't want to jump to conclusions : this woman may have a medical condition, the symptoms of which mirror signs of being drunk, but in the spirit of "it takes one to know one," I think I just got a glimpse into my future if I were to continue to drink. It was painfully un-pretty.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:25 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi class,

Just checking base with everyone. I am taking my first real vacation in years!!! Part of recovery is being kind to oneself and I need a break from all the hustle and bustle.
My BFF who lives in another State invited me to spend next week (my birthday week) at her place. I was a little nervous about it because she is probably the only person with whom I got drunk with in the past few years and had always had a great time drinking with her too.
She is a normie and was surprised when I told her I was an alcoholic and back in recovery (she had no clue about my behind closed doors drinking). Well I was worried about the trigger, people drinking around me does not bother me as long as it is not "stupid" alcoholic drinking but I have only fond memories of girl times and relaxing with her and some beer or wine.
I told her that I thanked her for the invite but I was worried about being tempted and there was no way I could expect anyone to change whatever they do because of me.
You know what she told me? That she drank only occasionally anyway and that she would never chose having a beer over spending time with me!!
That s confirmation that she is a normie. I just wish I could say the same that I have never chosen drinking over spending time with friends...
Old 05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am taking my first real vacation in years!!!
Good for you Carlotta. Have fun!
W
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Welcome to the January class, pianowoman! I echo woodhead - this is a wonderful group with a truly inspiring moderator, Dee.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Hey y'all,
Four months for me today
W
Old 05-13-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Welcome to this great thread, Planowoman. Congrats on 4 months, Wood. Hello to all the other Januarians.

This past weekend we went camping on a barrier island. My sons and I had a great time (caught and ate fish, saw a decent sized gator in the creek next to our campsite). Sleep can be difficult when tenting on a beach because of a few S's......salt, sand, sunburn. But, for the first time there's a new S for me.....Sober.

Hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 4 months Woodhead!!!

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post

This past weekend we went camping on a barrier island. My sons and I had a great time (caught and ate fish, saw a decent sized gator in the creek next to our campsite). Sleep can be difficult when tenting on a beach because of a few S's......salt, sand, sunburn. But, for the first time there's a new S for me.....Sober.
This is what I love about this thread, we have each others back and we also get "see" each others reclaim our lives and do cool stuff in sobriety.
Just talked to my friend and I am really excited to be going to visit her.
She told me that she had looked it up (I was going to) and that her church host an AA group and that she got me the schedule. It is so nice to have one person in my life who knows and is supportive. I always think of my alcoholism as my dirty little secret and having one close friend who is a "normie", knows about it and is supportive is awesome!!! I am glad I told her the truth and my concerns about being triggered.

Have a great sober day everyone.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

I couldn't agree more about this thread, Carlotta. That's also a very cool story about your friend which says a lot about you. "Every friend in your life is your mirror".
Old 05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Mr. Woodhead. I really like your saying "Bad things happen when I drink". It is so true for me and almost immediate. And something I should never forget. I always like reading that.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post
Mr. Woodhead. I really like your saying "Bad things happen when I drink". It is so true for me and almost immediate. And something I should never forget. I always like reading that.
Thanks Jbird,
The saying is true: I can look back on my 55 years, and almost anything negative that happened in my life can be tied to alcohol. BTW, Mr. Woodhead is my Dad, I'm just plain woodhead.
Best,
W
Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Congrats wood!
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go woodhead

D
Old 05-13-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Hey y'all,
Four months for me today
W
Congratulations, Mr. Woodhead!

... that made me chuckle. I'll never forget the first time I was "ma'am-ed" in Florida. I felt a hundred years old ...

The only "old man" smiley I could find has a bit of religion attached to him ...

But seriously, a great accomplishment. Congratulations. Well done!
Old 05-13-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I just wish I could say the same that I have never chosen drinking over spending time with friends...
ouch ... this hits home. I'm ashamed to think how many times I've turned down a nice evening out with friends / acquaintances just so that I could sit at home and drink instead.

I'm definitely trying to rectify that & be a bit more social. My husband and I -- while certainly not unfriendly -- are solitary, bookish people and definitely not your dance-on-the-tables, dinner-party-for-20 kind of people. 2 guests over for a BBQ is about it ...

In any event, enjoy your birthday vacation, Carlotta! It sounds lovely.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Congrats Woodhead!! 4 months is awesome!!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Hey y'all,
Four months for me today
W
Fantastic. Good for you, woodhead!