Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 8

Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Hello Januarians! Dropping in to say hello and hoping all of you are well. About a month ago during a warm snap, I also had a tantrum with myself about not being able to have "fun" and enjoy a glass of wine on one of the many patios that spring up all over the city the instant the temperature rises above 15 degrees (59 for my south-of-the-border friends).

However, during this warm spell, I did go out for dinner with a friend -- who ordered a glass of wine before we'd even been properly seated -- and I actually quite enjoyed chatting and catching up & the sunny weather with my 1/2 cran 1/2 club soda.

All these years I've been missing the point : summer patios are about fresh air and sunshine and good company, not the accompanying glass primitivo ... obvious? ... obviously not. Another small insight on the road to feeling better!

Happy day all!

Last edited by LizG; 05-09-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 05-09-2013, 06:44 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Hi All,
Saturday my boss has his annual crawfish boil, which is a blast, and I love crawfish. In the past I've always shown up at the event well lubricated, and have made the lovable ass out of myself by hugging too many women, telling lurid jokes, etc. This behavior always resulted in several days of chest tightening anxiety over what lines I may have crossed and who I may have offended. Thankfully, this year will be different: I won't have to ride home with an unhappy stone faced wife, and I won't have to lay low or say on Monday morning "about Saturday night............" Becoming anxiety free has been the main impetus of my fight for sobriety, that, and there are things in my life I want to do before I check out that my old pal Natty Light would not allow. Speaking of that, today I start a distance ed class that will force me to write daily on my novel. If I do the work, the class will result in a first draft by Labor Day (first Monday in September for those living in the more exotic climes). It's something I've been wanting to do for over 20 years, but Natty was always in the way. Anyway, I figure I've got several good years of writing ahead of me as long as I keep Natty kicked to the curb.

What is your main reason for the internal war against alcohol? Because it is a daily campaign against a brutal and cunning enemy.

Best,
W
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class,

I just wanted to pop my head in and give everyone a big hug. I am doing good and am still sober. Not much on my home front except that I am currently working on my fourth step using the big book and that once it s finished (hopefully soon, when it comes to unpleasant things I tend to procrastinate) I found a catholic priest to hear my fifth step (am still keeping my eyes open for a sponsor and taking my time).
Wishing everyone a good and sober day.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Liz and woodhead, these are inspiring stories. Somehow, I seem to forget at times just how bad my drinking was. But, yes, relaxing times are about other things than grog and being guilt free about over indulging - one of sobriety's gifts! Will your story be at all autobiographical, woodhead?
Old 05-09-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reeny View Post
Will your story be at all autobiographical, woodhead?
Yes indeed - part of me is in the hero, the other part is in the bad guy. I'm having fun developing the characters.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

My AV has been rearing its ugly head today. I woke up in a weird mood and my thinking just got a bit out there. I'm not sure why this happens. I feel as though I'm going through a kind of mental lapse. It's not a relapse because there's no alcohol but it feels sickly. Ugh. For the most my thinking feels pretty healthy. I hate these times when I feel like I'm a bit off. Unsettling. I am 111 days sober. Patience and acceptance is what I'm working on today.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post
Patience and acceptance is what I'm working on today.
Hang tough. You've got a lot of good sober time invested, about the same as me. I know I'd regret falling down now. We are with you.
Best,
W
Old 05-10-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JBird100 View Post

I am 111 days sober. Patience and acceptance is what I'm working on today.
Congratulations on 111 days, JBird!
Old 05-10-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

130 days for me in just under 2 hours. The hard time of this week seems to be lifting.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

130 days for me in just under 2 hours. The hard time of this week seems to be lifting.
Way to go Reeny!
W
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Good on ya, Reeny!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Congrats, JBird! Well done.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:50 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations Jbird and Reeny you guys ROCK!!!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Hey everyone. Just a quick hello from me. It's been a really rough week for me, but I am still sober - 113 days I think now. Congrats on some milestones Jbird and Reeny!! I know some people can't even make it through one day, so I am very grateful to be stacking up some good days. Every now and then I am just struck by a feeling of gratitude and relief that I never, ever have to drink again.
Happy Sober Friday all!

-Alison
Old 05-10-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Hi class,

Congrats jbird and Reeny!
Glad to see you hanging in there Alison.

Going to be a tough weekend and week for me. Hubby is leaving town for a week or more, and my boys can't come down for Mother's Day because of my work schedule. Hubby has been keeping pretty close to me since he came back in January. His trips have only been a couple overnighters. It has been really helpful to have him around so much since he's the reason I got sober to begin with. It's going to be lonely here without him and in the past that has been my downfall. Mother's Day is usually good with my boys, but without them it'll just add to the loneliness. My mom passed away 15 years ago when she was 42, so the rest of the family doesn't really talk about Mother's Day much less celebrate it. Hopefully I'll have lots of time to keep up with you guys for support. Thank goodness for this site and all of you! Off to work tonight, another thing I am truly thankful for.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:30 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Thanks for your support, everyone! Really appreciate it!

Siesta, hang in there. We're here for you and I'm sending you my love and hugs from across the oceans for Mother's Day.

Have a happy weekend, everyone. I'm off to the gym for some endorphins.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

130 days sober and 401 posts to this forum. Dee and SR friends, you're saving my life!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Hi just checking in to say hello. Things have gotten better. Goodnight.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad to hear it Lunetta - sleep well

D
Old 05-11-2013, 07:16 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Class of January?

I am new to this forum, and new to recovery. My sobriety date is this year, January 3. Does this Class of January mean people who became sober in January?