Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 8

Old 06-04-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I was prescribed Buspar (buspirone). Upon researching further, I found that it was sometimes given to alcoholics to help with the cravings. What a coincidence! And it does really help and it's not addictive like other stuff. And oh, yoga and daily meditation is a huge help, changed my life!

Carlotta you have every right in the world to be "lazy". I gave myself some slacks about eating to much dark chocolate earlier. With all the sugar I've stopped consuming, I think a few extra squares of chocolate will not do much harm.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:22 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

wow this is an amazing link, thank you Dee.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dorothyparker View Post
...... It was just being in a seedy pub at lunch, it triggered intense urges to drink. Unrelated to anything I felt, just the shoddy environment...it cause some cravings. Weird. Nice places don't trigger anything.
DP - I'm by no means making light of an intense craving for alcohol but that comment made me laugh out loud. Glad you fought away the impulse to drink.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

ha ha. no don't worry. just that seedy bar called to mind some drunken visions, which somehow triggered cravings, like a reverse romantic setting.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:52 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Good for you, Carlotta and dp!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

DP and Carlotta, I'm so sorry you both had anxiety attacks. Reading how you coped with them without alcohol was inspiring. You both should feel really proud of that!

I suffer from major anxiety, too. It started around '89. Using prescription drugs (Valium, Xanax) and alcohol landed me finally in detox last year. It took that long for me to realize that benzos and booze did not do a thing but make it worse. I know, I was really dense and clueless.

Getting through anxiety over life's issues while clean and sober is one of our biggest challenges. I am so grateful to the members of SR as another support.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

A book recommendation for those who "enjoy" alcoholic memoirs; I devour them and feel a little less alone. Canadian Lauren B. Davis' "The Empty Room" was just released and if I hadn't had to go to work today, I would have read it in one sitting. It's billed as fiction, but the dedication reads : "For R.E.D. -- if it weren't for you, this wouldn't be fiction," & in her Acknowledgments she states "Thanks to Nancy F., and all the other people who walk the sober road with me. One day at a time." Enough said.

A happy, sober day to all.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Good morning class, I want to thank you for your support.. Today is gorgeous and I am back to normal. I hope that you are ok too Dorothy.
Dee this is a GREAT site. Thanks a bunch.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Morning class. DP and Carlotta, hope you're doing better. Thanks for the recommendation Liz. I love reading memoirs and alcoholic ones are the ones I relate most to so I'll check it out. Augusten Burroughs will always be my favorite though.
Five months for me today! My old friends have accepted my iced teas and diet sodas as the new norm. I've accepted it also. Sometimes I still think it would be nice to join in on the drinking, but then I realize how good I feel now and all the good things I have in my life now and that it is all attributed to being sober. Things like a healthy marriage, being employed, having a drivers license, a great relationship with my boys, no hangovers, a newfound love for cycling, and most of all a confidence and pride in myself that I haven't felt in a long time, if not ever. I'm holding onto all these things tightly and drinking is not only not worth giving these things up but it is the complete opposite of what I want for my life.
SR and all of you have been a huge part of the last five months being successful. Thank you, even if I don't always post, it always helps just to log on and read.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 5 months Siesta. What I love about being in the back of the class (Jan 20) is that you guys and gals give me something to look forward too.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 months, Siesta! Hope a summer of good rides are in store for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Hi Guys!

Carlotta, i'm glad to see your feeling better! I also have panic attacks and anxiety which started when I quit drinking. (or maybe now i'm sober i noticed them??) My doc put me on the kalnopins (sp?). I take them on a 'as need' basis and I break it in half (the whole pill makes me wayy too tired) I haven't taken them much, but the couple times i have, they helped. I'm at least not bugged-eyed, clentching my heart and ripping out of public places anymore...hee hee... i think i made my condition a little more noticable than anticipated.

Last week I went to the doctor for a check up after my confession of being an alcoholic five months ago. Things are looking great, and I dropped 12 pounds. happy-happy joy-joy! I can not believe how awesome i feel. Everyday I honestly discover something new (or old) about myself that I lost while drinking. It could be anywhere from a feeling to an idea to just a sense of contentment. Little by little I am finding my 'old' self (or REAL self I should say), the one who is beyond compassionate and patient. (I had lost every ounce of my patience in the last 20+ years of drinking), funny and a very dovoted mother, friend and wife. This is all so new and overwhelmingly (sp?) awesome and down right amazing it sorta freaks me out of all the possiblities that are really out there. I feel like I just realized the saying 'you can do anything you set your mind to' is like an ephiphany. holy crapamolie.

My spelling is horrible. That's also an ephiphany. I love you guys and now that summa is here i may need to check in a little more than I did in the spring.

Have a great day and thanks for letting me babble
Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Siesta Congratulations ! Liz, can we buy the book you mention on Amazon kindle do you think?

I'm better now thank you, I have no idea where that vicious craving came from and somehow, when this site is quiet (usually during the week-ends), I tend to grow anxious so yesterday, I really was grateful to find Carlotta's post and everyone chiming in. Thank you SR for being there. (first time I'm using a non traditional smiley...)
Old 06-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hey all,
Carlotta, thanks for the invite but I got sober in December of 2012. Does that matter?
Old 06-07-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Siesta!

I'm just back from a bar where I actually went to the counter and bought a round of drinks for the group, coffee for me. Didn't even think of having a drink! Feels good!

Happy weekend, everyone!
Old 06-07-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

we have a Dec'12 thread too, but it's entirely up to you and where you feel most at home TD

D
Old 06-07-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Ouch Reeny, you're brave. I thought I could do it but even an empty bottle of wine my friends left after cocktails at my place gave me cravings so until a year as passed, I will not temps myself with buying alcohol for people.

I've been rather depressed lately. Facebook is so hard at times, I see my friends being nominated for prizes I was also in the running for (but didn't get a nomination) and it makes me a bit sad. When I'm in a low spot and I read on FB all the wonderful things my friends are doing, it makes things worse so I turn off social media and I stop being voyeuristic. I like Facebook for news of all kinds but not when people self-promote shamelessly...All I need is self-respect I guess. and L...e.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:38 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Siesta, congratulations on 5 months! Liz, thanks for the book recommendation, I ordered it on KIndle. Dorothy, FB and social media are breeding grounds for those shallow, shameless self-promoters. How many of those people have taken steps to save their lives in the last 5 months? I beat myself up every day about how far I fell and have to remind myself what is really important- regaining my health, my life (drs. said I was literally dying in Dec.), and my relationships with my family and those few trusted friends.

Be proud of your recovery. It is probably the most significant accomplishment of your life. (I am preaching to myself here, too.) Hang in there, DP!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:48 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

DP, 'not sure about e-books; I'm an old f*rt and only read paper books …

If anone else is a poetry person (by association, in this instance), I've just re-read Caitlin Thomas' "Double Drink Story. My Life with Dylan Thomas." It was published ca. 15 years ago and -- somewhat confusingly -- is not especially informative about her life with Dylan Thomas, but she does offer some brutal flashes of insight which make this slightly disjointed book entirely worthwhile.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:30 PM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Hello January Teammates - hope everyone is doing well. I'll soon be on a couple of long camping trips and trying to pick some good books. I've finished the works of Faulkner, Dickens, Hemingway, and most of the other classics. "Light in August", "David Copperfield", "Shogun", "Lonesome Dove"....these are some of my favorite reads. Last camping trip was "Unbroken". Great story. I'm thinking of "Treasure Island" since the first trip is on the coast. This seems a very literary group so I thought to ask for suggestions.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!