Notices

Class of January 2013 Part 8

Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hey everyone.. .not much time for posting lately as work is crazy and my school semester has started up again. But wanted to say hello and congrats to all those who are celebrating milestones... great to see! I'm at 126 days myself and going strong!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:08 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Congrats, Alison! That's awesome.

Wood, all this talk about a 'boil has me ready to head out with a cast net and crab pots!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
Congrats, Alison! That's awesome.

Wood, all this talk about a 'boil has me ready to head out with a cast net and crab pots!
Go for it. My boss had a crawfish boil a couple of weeks ago that was fantastic.

.image.jpg
Old 05-23-2013, 01:11 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Sorry the pic is upside down. Maybe the folks in the Southern Hemisphere will get it right side up, lol.
W
Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Go for it. My boss had a crawfish boil a couple of weeks ago that was fantastic.
ha! I count 20 people in that pic! That's what, 400+ fish per person? I also count beverages in bottles and am impressed you attended. That couldn't have been easy. My first big social event (= more than 2 people and/or not family) is on Saturday. I'm driving, so I have a built-in excuse should anyone care to ask why I'm not drinking ... I'm guessing no one will care but me. :-)
Old 05-23-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LizG View Post
ha! I count 20 people in that pic! That's what, 400+ fish per person? I also count beverages in bottles and am impressed you attended. That couldn't have been easy. My first big social event (= more than 2 people and/or not family) is on Saturday. I'm driving, so I have a built-in excuse should anyone care to ask why I'm not drinking ... I'm guessing no one will care but me. :-)
Liz,
There were 300 lbs of crawfish for about 80 souls. It was a test for me, but I didn't succumb to the beer that was flowing. It was my first sober crawfish boil at his place - he's had one every year for the past 10. It was also the best one ever as I remember it all, and was anxiety free and not hungover the next morning. Good luck on Saturday - you will be fine and will enjoy the event without alcohol.
Best,
W
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

nope still upside down woodhead

D
Old 05-24-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Hi class,

Well I went from not drinking to taking 1-2 painkillers a day. Trying to get back on track but its sure hard, and I'm afraid if I start drinking again ill never get back to where I was starting to go which was sober and happy. The miscarriage and a big change this week affecting my employment have turned my life upside down. I wish I had the strength not to fall back into bad habits, but I did, and I'm disappointed in myself. I'm okay though and am going to really try to get back with it. I haven't totally lost it yet.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:31 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Siesta View Post
Morning class. Heading out for some much needed exercise today. Tomorrow starts my big work weekend for Memorial Day so I won't have time to do much or think about Memorial Day BBQs. Thankfully, Monday is my longest shift 9:30am-8pm so I won't even have the opportunity to attend any parties. Anyone else have any Memorial Day plans? I will miss the good BBQ food...
Sorry - what's Memorial Day? Like our ANZAC Day down under?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:33 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by woodhead View Post
Sorry the pic is upside down. Maybe the folks in the Southern Hemisphere will get it right side up, lol.
W
Yep, works here -LOL. Makes me so hungry this pic!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:35 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

The main thing is to get up again as quick as you can Lunetta - the longer you 'stay out' the harder it gets to stop I think

D
Old 05-24-2013, 03:37 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lunetta View Post
Hi class,

Well I went from not drinking to taking 1-2 painkillers a day.

Hang in there, Lunetta. Painkillers were one of my vices before when I have up drinking. It was a drinking/codeine merry-go-round.

You've had a really tough time lately but stay strong. Painkillers can be evil.

Thinking of you tonight.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Stay strong Lunetta. Our addictions can get out of control very quickly, like a ball rolling down a hill. Don't let the painkillers get their hooks into you. I'm not sure if this is something your doctor prescribed - if so, take them as directed and maybe talk to your doc about non-narcotic options? No situation will be made better by drinking or using, and you can deal with anything life throws your way, with a sober mind. You can do it. We are all with you and know that nothing can take you down. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. You are strong!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hi Lunetta I am with the others, stay strong and get right back on the saddle. You know you have an addictive personality and you know the pitfalls of pain meds and you recognized you messed up
Sending you a big hug of encouragement **{hugs}}

you CAN do it!

Ps: Memorial day is when the military are commemorated in this country.
PPS: I am absolutely jealous. I LOVE crawfish
Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

OK, the reason I was away is because - in spite of having resubscribed to this thread, the last notification I had was on May 16!!! So I thought no one was posting...I missed such great conversations. Also, I wasn't missing because I went back to drinking, although, I had 1000 occasions where I wanted to, no I'm still absolutely sober. 143 days. I guess that I'm following Reeny and Carlotta.

Tonight Friday, after an awful job interview where being bullied by the person hiring made me feel super incompetent, I felt very sorry for myself. I didn't feel like drinking but thought that without the booze, my failures are so much more apparent. And I felt hopeless. Coming here has made my evening. Thank you.

Lunetta, it's good you're not drinking. I hope the painkillers will go soon and I send you good thoughts to go over your difficulties.

DP
PS: I guess that I'll just check in every other day because somehow I can't rely on notifications alone.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

we've been having problems with notifications lately - not sure if it's from our end or the email providers.

The surest way to keep in touch is to physically check in, I think DP

sorry for your bad day but I hope the weekend will be better
D
Old 05-24-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Please do let the bad interview get to you, Dorothy. The interviewer didn't know what they were doing if he/she used those tactics. You'd probably not be happy working in their group either. Blessing in disguise?

And congrats on 143 days!
Old 05-25-2013, 01:19 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hi dp. Good to have you back.

I agree - everything seems so much more powerful without the escape of alcohol. I had a really bad day on Thursday where I just white knuckled it. Every argument in my head was pro having a drink. That's passed again now, thankfully.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Thank you for the encouragement L2H...the thing is she wanted some of the interviewees to go further and present a game show pitch on Tuesday (I work in TV) and instead of telling her right there that I was dropping out, I felt like a bullied child and said I would do it. I should probably just call her and say this job is not for me and just option my concept instead. Argh. She even told me she was anxious to hear this guy's pitch who seemed so enthusiastic to pitch. Can you believe it? I wonder if I shouldn't report her to HR but this world is small and everyone knows each other in this business so I should create a stir.

I've never encountered this situation before. Very weird.

I'M about to go to a brunch where I know wine will be served. My editor's wife is very pushy and always says: you'll just quit again tomorrow. She drives me crazy. I've explained many times now and she just doesn't get it and says this in front of the guests. Anyone has a remark that I could tell her?
Wow, this will be my week of bullies!!
Old 05-25-2013, 06:23 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

ha ha ha. I just reread my post and noticed I wrote: I should create a stir, instead of I shouldn't...