Notices

Class of February 2013 part 3

Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
There's a longer thread elsewhere for this, but I don't want to sift through it all. However, I am curious about my classmate's chosen SR names. Why did you choose yours?
My first big solo trip was to New Zealand. I was 23, a major relationship had just ended and I was gutted the way you can only be when breaking up with your first love, and I didn't know what on earth to do but go as far as possible away and spend some time with myself. So I got a work holiday visa, bought a plane ticket with some money I had saved, and showed up there with zero plan. I spent six months there, working in random menial jobs like picking apples and cleaning hostels and washing dishes, etc... and I spent a lot of time hiking and camping and exploring by myself. And every time I got depressed, or felt lonely, or was up in a freaking apple tree wanting to die because I was so tired, a fantail (see left) would show up and make me laugh. They're really funny mischievous birds and I loved them to pieces. My little silly reminders to keep my head up and get through the hard stuff because it was worth it.

So yeah! Quitting is similar... it's lonely, it's hard, but it's something I know I need to do for me, to move on to the next phase of my life. So the name is a way to remind myself that there's always a light side.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:32 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

Rosie- glad to see you again. My only advice is buy a nice bottle of sparkling juice or something for your evening tonight? And if you aren't yet able to be fully open about why you have made this choice, tell your husband you have been drinking a bit too much recently and want to switch it up. My husband was very aware of my problem- and my hiding it- and asked me many times to get help. So being honest about the binge and blackout period that brought me here was a huge relief for not just me, but him and our relationship. Ask yourself, does he really not know?

Iaana- hunker down, this weekend will probably be tough. By Monday, the your body and brain will be easing into this new sober reality You are right to get ready for all the excuses you know your AV will put to you. It looks like you are putting a nice plan in action to refute any of its suggestions. You can do this!
Old 03-01-2013, 10:41 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

My name? I hate usernames and passwords and all the sites that require different protocols or have one you would normally use taken….

So sitting on my sofa in my day 1 mental scattered fog, I tried to come up with something that 1- I could remember and 2- would be easy to type over and over.

Bunny came to me. My youngest son has a stuffed bunny doll that is his favorite toy. Actually he has a bunny and a bear and they are his children and they are husband and wife- yes he's six In his little world, his bunny is me. Only his bunny is still seen through the eyes of an innocent child. He is not yet aware mommy was blind drunk or passed out, just "sick" or "tired". Neither he nor his older brothers should ever again see me that way. Only as happy and loving and there for him as his bunny. The 44 is "For" my "Four" men. 1 husband and 3 sons.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by Pamel View Post
Anyway fantail, you have to stick around; we have the same day count.

Happy day 16, Pamel!

Happy Friday, everyone.

This is a good day for me because I slept at night and woke up in the morning for the first time since quitting!! Hallelujah, I'm a vampire no more (touch wood).

I'm going to try a Life Ring meeting tonight... recognizing that even though I don't feel like I need F2F right now, at some point my enthusiasm is going to fade, and I'll be better off at that point if I've already established some accountability that's here in town.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Starbaby928 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree with that. I know for a fact that alcohol has been a way for me not to deal for a long time. The wave of emotion right now is unpredictable & can be overwhelming.

BUT- I'm riding it. And I'm determined not to be here again. In the beginning stages of recovery I mean. Y'all are stuck with me on SR... lolz.

Night!
SB
Happy to be stuck with you star!
Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by justme2013 View Post
Very proud of myself tonight, my friends. First outing tonight surrounded by drinkers. I was quite happy with my cranberry seltzers. My dinner companions polished off cocktails and bottles of wine. The waiter accidentally poured me a glass, which someone else gladly took on. Two weeks ago I would have outpaced them all, and they drank a lot. But I know I would have continued on into oblivion once I got home, by myself. Feels so good to be home now, with a cup of tea. And I'll feel great in the morning!
This forum provides exactly the kind of support I need, even though I mostly read. Thanks to you all! Have a good night.
Hi Just me. You're very brave, i'm not sure i could be so strong just yet
Old 03-01-2013, 11:15 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Thanks for the love.

My name's story: I just adopted a kitten from a shelter over Xmas that the rescue had named Rosie. She's so my baby right now. Seems silly but I realize at some point I want to have children that don't have to grow up with alcoholism as I did. Used Rosie as a reminder that I'm in this for my future...

I've spent a lot of timing wondering how anyone could go nine months while pregnant without drinking. Ha, if that seems impossible, I've clearly got to figure this out now.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by noubledegative View Post
Figured it's about time i got me an avatar!

Welcome to the newbies! :-) great to have more aboard.

Day 11 Sober for me (after 1 slip up after 14 days earlier in feb)

& day 6 of this nasty flu

Wish i'd get over it already! Sick of being home :/

Been out once & it was for my meet & great at my new job, figured i better not cancel on them twice...so i just went on Wed, was OK, went well i think, but couldn't wait to get home...and get back to bed.

But hey! I'd rather feel like this, then hungover.

Sorry not alot of interesting stuff to report!

hang in there
nd
Hi nouble, yuk last thing you need is the flu! well done for getting to the meet & greet on wednesday!

Hangovers are history
Old 03-01-2013, 11:27 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
Hello everyone!

Don't think my fingers have anything left to give today LOL ~ but I made it through my first cleaning job. And I'm grumpy and tired and hungry....not a great combination for any of us. The good thing, is thanks to all of you, I'm not lonely.....I want to respond to so many of you, but just for today I'm going to give you all my love and say thank you so much for all of yours....

Day 25. So grateful to be sober. Food and a video or three....but I must admit, it scares me a little to see the angry Venus re-emerge, thought maybe she was gone. Mostly I am angry with myself; I made such a gigantic mess of my life. And I did that by ignoring this disease, pretending I didn't have it, when I knew full well that I did. Cunning, baffling, powerful.....yes indeedy!

Nowhere to go but forward, hoping that it really is true that one day I will not regret my past, nor wish to shut the door on it. But whatever happens, I will move forward with all of you, and we will find some serenity together.

Love Venus xx

PS. I did a great job today, my client was really pleased....
that's lovely! and 'indeedy' made me laugh! haha
Up, onward and forward we go>>>>>> to serenity
Old 03-01-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melissa6381 View Post
Of course you did! Awesome!!!!

I just came home from work all bent out of shape. We were super busy at the restaurant and I had to try and smooth over a coworkers mistakes for her because I am especially good at handling angry customers (but it takes a lot out of me!) I've been working in the food industry for 13 years now and always had my drink to soothe my frazzled nerves... honestly sometimes i wonder if sober me is cut out for this anymore. but no drinks tonight, tonight I have black bean burgers, cream soda and all of you xoxoxoxo. Feeling better just sitting here escaping into our little SR world. Love you all <3
Black bean burger????! must be an American thing?! i love that most of you are American, would loooooooove to be American or even go there! 'friends' was my favorite programme ha
New you new job maybe? which is less stressfull
Old 03-01-2013, 11:34 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Bizooky,day 4 for me and its Saturday morning here.Went to work yesterday,first time since I quit,had to be honest with both my bosses and I have to say they were both very supportive.My regional manager hasn't had a drink for 14 years so he was really great.He knows the score.Went to my 3rd AA meeting last night,the lady who runs it is fantastic she has been sober 30 years and has seen it all,so very passionate about helping people like me.At the end of my working day that little punk turned up on my shoulder again telling me i really should have a reward for a good days work,and hey,it was Friday.Anyway had to deaf him out,my family was waiting for me at home and didn't want to let them down,was a bit fidgety all night but made it.Here's to another day.Thanks guys and girl, stay strong.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:44 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Just a quick check in then i'll carry on reading all the posts from yesterday, like to read as many as i can!
It's Friday night here in the UK it's 19.39 pm. Hope you're all staying strong. Sending lots of love.
Had a very strange night last night. A guy from AA that told me he loved me (even though i've only known him a couple of weeks and exchanged a few texts (no kisses or haven't spent any time with him outside of AA apart from a brew at tesco one day) then last night he threatened to kill himself because i don't love him!! really scared me, won't be doing the meetings for a while now incase he's there. I understand he must have issues but i'm new and don't think it's fair to put all that on me.
Anyway, feeling better each day-sat with some sweets and a cup of tea what more could an alcoholic ask for
Old 03-01-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by NewLifeForMeeee View Post
Just a quick check in then i'll carry on reading all the posts from yesterday, like to read as many as i can!
It's Friday night here in the UK it's 19.39 pm. Hope you're all staying strong. Sending lots of love.
Had a very strange night last night. A guy from AA that told me he loved me (even though i've only known him a couple of weeks and exchanged a few texts (no kisses or haven't spent any time with him outside of AA apart from a brew at tesco one day) then last night he threatened to kill himself because i don't love him!! really scared me, won't be doing the meetings for a while now incase he's there. I understand he must have issues but i'm new and don't think it's fair to put all that on me.
Anyway, feeling better each day-sat with some sweets and a cup of tea what more could an alcoholic ask for
Have you contacted the leader of your meeting about this? They should probably be aware that he's unstable and frightening new members! Maybe they can help him. I think your instinct is right to stay away, though.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Sober birthday 2/7/13

Hey New Life,

I don't know anything about AA meetings, but it seems like there should be a group leader you should tell about this? Not like getting him in trouble, but it sounds like he really needs help. Plus his problem is hindering your attempts to have the group help you. Maybe he has even done this to other members in the past?

Just spitballing here~
Old 03-01-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 3. Just had a moment where under normal circumstances I would have crumbled and drank like a fish. Spoken to by a 'friend' in a way that I could never speak to anyone. I dont need friends like that. Slowly calming down with a cup of tea, turned off all social networking etc, not letting things get to me for once.

I read on here somewhere yesterday that people treat you the way you let them treat you. I certainly won't let this person make me feel worthless this time and give in to my shame. New Mr Beagle here.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

MrBeagle, you remind me that I learned (what for me is) a pretty cool workable solution regarding boundaries - creating them and upholding them without much ado. I will start a thread about it before the night is over.

As for me, I wanted a screen name that I did not have on another site, and that did not require numbers. A cross fox is just a regular North American fox but with different (not ruddy) coloring, and a white pouf on the tip of its tail. It is unusual to see one.

Did you know? Based on numerous encounters, it seems that fox have no natural fear of humans - they must be taught to avoid people, otherwise they will approach us. For example, if you travel to an area uninhabited by humans, a fox may approach and follow you, even climb into your backpack looking for food, because it had not been taught to fear / avoid people.

I'm seeing a lot of animals featured in forum photos and in screen names here.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Way to go Mrbeagle,you don't need that rubbish in your life.Your a good man,thats all you need to know.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
Hey Goose -
I do the same thing... if I'm understanding you correctly. I decided to quite (half heartedly - cut back) around July of last year. After a nasty binge Christmas Eve... where I don't even remember setting up "Santa" with my wife and feeling like garbage Christmas Day... I decided enough. Tired, so tired of the cycle. But, I don't think I was fully committed. I always wondered when I would be able to have that good micro brew I so loved. I wouldn't just have one or two - ever, though. It would be 6. Then 8. Then a shot. Then a glass of wine... then the hangover... followed by a micro brew in the a.m. to get me steady...

So tired of the cycle.

This past weekend I decided to fully commit. I'll never be able to drink normally. Not now, not 30 years from now. I, like you have seen the awesomeness of 12 - 14 days (14 being the longest stretch) and the hell from day one - 5 or 6 (for me). I know what the first day will be like and how hard it will be to not pick up that first drink. Not because I'm not fully committed but because my body craves the poison because the poison has made it feel so terrible. I know I won't sleep day one and day two will be a tired, anxiety driven, am I dying, sad hell. I won't sleep day two. Day three I'll be short of breath but slightly better - other than exhausted. I'll function a little better on day three but will still have anxiety and disappointment. Day 3 I might sleep. And then it improves until after 7 days I'm usually somewhat back to normal.... running 5 miles/day again, eating clean and healthy...

and this time... that will be my new cycle forever. God help me to remember what I was doing never, ever worked... and help me to never go back to the hell of day one. It sure isn't worth it.
It's great to hear about the day by day detox that you go through paddler. Felt like i was almost going through it too as i read it!
and what a great way to remember the shear HELL we have to put ourselves through to get sober, yuk NEVER want to go through it again. The paranoia, anxiety, dehydration, shakes, pins & needles, and where everything falls down around me, untidy flat, dirty clothes. YUK YUK YUK
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

For many years I was DJMarksman,running my mobile DJ setup.Of course didn't help my drinking,some gigs I was more p#@%&d than a lot of the punters at the gig by the end of the night.Retired from that now.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
March will be my first full sober month since I was 20 or 21. That's over 10 years...

Let's rally and do it together and congratulations on 26 days!!! Truly an accomplishment. You deserve 31 for that!
Paddler you're doing really well. First full month coming up ....but bare in mind the 'just for today' quote. Well done