View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
There's a longer thread elsewhere for this, but I don't want to sift through it all. However, I am curious about my classmate's chosen SR names. Why did you choose yours?
My first big solo trip was to New Zealand. I was 23, a major relationship had just ended and I was gutted the way you can only be when breaking up with your first love, and I didn't know what on earth to do but go as far as possible away and spend some time with myself. So I got a work holiday visa, bought a plane ticket with some money I had saved, and showed up there with zero plan. I spent six months there, working in random menial jobs like picking apples and cleaning hostels and washing dishes, etc... and I spent a lot of time hiking and camping and exploring by myself. And every time I got depressed, or felt lonely, or was up in a freaking apple tree wanting to die because I was so tired, a fantail (see left) would show up and make me laugh. They're really funny mischievous birds and I loved them to pieces. My little silly reminders to keep my head up and get through the hard stuff because it was worth it.

So yeah! Quitting is similar... it's lonely, it's hard, but it's something I know I need to do for me, to move on to the next phase of my life. So the name is a way to remind myself that there's always a light side.