Notices

Class of February 2013 part 3

Old 03-03-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 481 (permalink)  

Sistahsober, I love it!!!!

Don't worry about going to a meeting alone. Will people notice you are new? Of course. But you choose if you want to engage or be like a fly on the wall. Nobody will mind if you say nothing, and folks will totally welcome you if you choose to introduce yourself. If its a meeting that does introductions and you don't want to say your name, just say "pass" when your turn comes. No biggie. You will almost certainly get something out of the meeting no matter what. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 482 (permalink)  

Wow so many posts, I will have to read through them all before bed!

Day 5 here, today has gone so fast. Got quite a lot of work done and had a well earned relax this evening. Gonna watch the Nascar and have a cuppa. Family all sat drinking again but not me. Am I tempted? yes. But I must remember how I felt just less than a week ago. Nothing is worth that feeling, not even 5 seconds of the highest high in the world, never mind a few hours of self loathing and virtually no effect.

On a more positive note I had a bloody lovely sleep last night and had the best roast dinner just now. I Think my stomach may be about to burst!

Keep going all, i'll be sure to read through all of your updates later on and post some more. Love you all, take care
Old 03-03-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 483 (permalink)  

firstweek, fantail, Estone, Precious Kitty, Liza, ShapeUp, Goose1, venuscat, Marksman, Starbaby928, Fitness1234, laana, 1stStepUp, Nonsensical, Noubledegitive, MrBeagle, Bunny44, NewLifeForMeee, and ICanDoThis2013, Bizooky, Dee, Odelle, justme2013, NewLifeForMeeee, Paddler, CrossFox, ub3, Melissa6381, Rosie199, Lavender520, MSweeney, TigerLili, JCMalta, Pamel, Tick, Easyrider, markinsf, wehav2day, soberjanedoe, Liza, bigaquagirl, Mainza, Sistahsober aka AnxiousAlchy
Old 03-03-2013, 12:29 PM
  # 484 (permalink)  
ub3

OUch Isolating alone with my disease not a nice place to be ...trust me ...Im aching on so many levels right now... Funny thing i have some money clearing in my account at midnight at part of me want to go get high and waisted...
Old 03-03-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 485 (permalink)  

Sorry I don't have time to read everyone's updates. I just wanted to check on on Day 16 before I go to work. I'm highly anxious and spent a lot of time praying this morning while I got ready, asking my higher power to be with me to help me get through it. Having a meeting with my boss at midday and I'm going to lay it out on the table about the workload I'm dealing with and the amount of pressure it's causing.

I went to a freind's house last night and I knew she always has wine. I don't think I would have turned down a drink had she offered, but turns out the bottle she had to hand was no good so we just had a cup of tea.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  # 486 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ub3 View Post
OUch Isolating alone with my disease not a nice place to be ...trust me ...Im aching on so many levels right now... Funny thing i have some money clearing in my account at midnight at part of me want to go get high and waisted...
Oh I hear you. Stay strong. Nothing good will come of it. Stay here and post with us (or those of us who don't have to go to work now like me )
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 487 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TigerLili View Post

I went to a freind's house last night and I knew she always has wine. I don't think I would have turned down a drink had she offered, but turns out the bottle she had to hand was no good so we just had a cup of tea.
Tiger the universe is telling you something with the corked wine. You almost slipped and something saved you. How do you feel about that?
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 488 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
I am sad to say that I am on day 1 again. Going through a really tough breakup and new city, soon new job and am just really tense and stressed. I felt so good the last few days but after speaking to my ex yesterday I succumbed and had wine and cigarettes....
My AV has been speaking to me all day, making me miserable and pitiful and scared of the future...but I didn't drink or smoke today and I am looking forward to waking up to a new day tomorrow....drinking did not help the situation i am in, so sad that I gave in but am trying not to punish myself but look forward

Glad to see you are all here, will read all your posts more tomorrow

Good sober night xxx
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 489 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you're back laana.
Tomorrow is another day - you can look at what to do differently then

D
Old 03-03-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 490 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laana View Post
Hey everyone,
I am sad to say that I am on day 1 again. Going through a really tough breakup and new city, soon new job and am just really tense and stressed. I felt so good the last few days but after speaking to my ex yesterday I succumbed and had wine and cigarettes....
My AV has been speaking to me all day, making me miserable and pitiful and scared of the future...but I didn't drink or smoke today and I am looking forward to waking up to a new day tomorrow....drinking did not help the situation i am in, so sad that I gave in but am trying not to punish myself but look forward

Good sober night xxx
Hi Iaana. I'm new to the group and just waking to day 7, so I wont pretend to understand what you're going through.

Don't beat yourself up over this. It sounds like youve been hit simultaneously with three of the top ten stressors. You sound so strong to have been able to stay away from a drink today despite the events of yesterday.

When I smoked I used to joke that giving up was easy, I've done it loads of times! Eventually it stuck and that was in 1989. I'm now tackling the booze - again! Many attempts in my own strength, all failed, but now feeling strong especially with help such as you guys.

Don't be sad to be on day 1, be proud of yourself for sticking with it despite the challenges you are facing.

"It's not how many times you get knocked down; it's how many times you get back up.”

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing that you're on day 2!
Old 03-03-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 491 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,

Good sober night xxx
Hey Laaana- sending you positive thoughts. I tried to get sober alone in January... I'm in a very similar spot as you. Drinking caused me to give away my relationship... I just moved back to Houston less than a year ago to start a new job.

Meetings have been a godsend to me. I'm actually going to 2 meetings today. I encourage you to go too.

I have moments where I feel lonely, uninspired or a little lost... But I know I have a meeting everyday & SR where I can reach out for support without fear of judgement.

Hang in there!

SB
Old 03-03-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 492 (permalink)  

Hi UB3.

It can be so isolating. People don't understand unless thy've been there. However you do have a bunch of people here who get it.

I'm just waking up (in Australia) and will be home all day, so happy to keep in touch.

Hang in there. Find something to do. Take a shower, clean the house, find a good book, call a friend.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:23 PM
  # 493 (permalink)  

Thank you guys, it means so much your words.

I find it so hard not to beat myself up. I think part of my problem is some need to be perfect, not to fail and i put enormous pressure on myself and its that same pressure that makes me succumb over and again. I am in a hard situation now that's true, but its not just circumstances its also my own fault and only I can get to a better place.

I am also scared of doing this alone, Starbaby I will see if i can get the courage to attend a meeting here, i find it really hard to ask for help.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 494 (permalink)  

I feel you, me too am fighting this mainly alone now, and SR support.
You have been so amazing though and come so far, life is always up and down, I find Sundays to be hard when you are alone....try to watch a good film, make a nice tea, reach out here on SR or to someone you know.....we are here for you.
Stay strong
Old 03-03-2013, 02:35 PM
  # 495 (permalink)  

I find it so hard not to beat myself up. I think part of my problem is some need to be perfect, not to fail and i put enormous pressure on myself and its that same pressure that makes me succumb over and again. I am in a hard situation now that's true, but its not just circumstances its also my own fault and only I can get to a better place.

I am also scared of doing this alone, Starbaby I will see if i can get the courage to attend a meeting here, i find it really hard to ask for help.
Oh Laana- me too!! I'm a "fixer" so the idea that I would reach out for help is sort of foreign to me.

But- here's a few things I've gleaned from my short time going to meetings that may help you:

1) AA is an organization where you give back. Asking for help from an "old timer" or someone willing to sponsor allows those people to continue to engage in an aspect of active recovery. They want to help.

2) The most impactful meeting (thus far) for me occurred when I broke down on my way to the meeting & actually said "I need help" as I was driving to the meeting. I met someone in that meeting with very similar history to mine... What she said and the reading resonated with me big time. I honestly believe this is because I opened my heart and let down my guard to truly listen that night.

3) This is strictly my view- I can't do this alone. I wouldn't be able to do this on my own even if I had all the support in the world from my partner, friends & family. I've heard countless people this week echo that sentiment.

I was petrified the first time I walked in... And now, it gets easier every time. In fact, immediately preceding that first meeting, I sat in my car & posted to SR. The support from all the lovely people that responded got my butt in that chair and for that I'm grateful.

Hang in there! Don't be so tough on yourself. PM me or others if you need to... You're not alone even if you're lonely. I tell myself that every day.

Blessings,
SB
Old 03-03-2013, 03:04 PM
  # 496 (permalink)  

Laana, I found it so hard to walk into a room of AA the first time but you will meet the most amazing people there, and you will be among people who understand. Go early, introduce yourself (it will look like everyone knows everyone-not true, but how are they going to know that you are new if you don't say something). It is such a resource!!!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 497 (permalink)  

H.A.L.T (hungry, angry, lonely, tired)
Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM
  # 498 (permalink)  
Administrator

new part is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-4-a.html

D