Notices

One Year & Under Club Part 11

Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tanja View Post
Changing your thinking and doing things differently is imperative to living a better life. Simple concepts, but not so easy to do!
I needed to hear that again. How is it that familiar can be comfortable and painful? It makes sense to me that I won't change much until it's really uncomfortable to not change. But I sometimes feel trapped in the middle, balancing change/stay in a bad way, so it's stuck. I lowered my expectations to as close to zero as I can with my ex, but moving on = letting go = WAHHH!!!! It's so annoying, I don't want to pout or be bitter. But it does sting that she is ahead of me on the moving on part. And I'm competitive.

Lately, I have griped to myself that I don't have time for (blah blah blah). Well, looks like I found some time, filled with approximately enough motivation to complain. I don't think I'll sit here long, but it feels good to moan. Well, it can.

...Just had a nice chat with my sponsor, so I got to dump on him too! I was reading this article:

When I let go of who I am, I become what I might be. ~Lau Tzu

and am encouraged by this quote from it: "When everything falls apart, it’s an opportunity to look within and ascertain how you want to put it back together." God, I hope so.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Busy busy day over here. Just hoppin in before bed. Surgery went well. She will spend the night and I will go pick her up tomorrow afternoon. Poor thing will be sore I'm sure but I have pain meds for her.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:34 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad all went well BF

D
Old 02-06-2013, 02:07 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

09.40 Wed

Good morning all my Undies

It's the middle of the week again and I'm sat here again in work. After me saying only yesterday that I was sleeping better, guess what? I was still awake at 02.15 this morning, but refused point blank to let myself get up. Feeling okay right now but no doubt I'll be flagging this afternoon.
The weather has warmed up slightly, it's 5.0c this morning and still fees very cold to me! It was very, very windy during the night but thank goodness it seems to have calmed down now.

Hi Bloss, yes always baby steps all the way but those steps add up to a mile before you know it. I think we eat more anyway when it's cold, or is that just my excuse? The main thing is that we concentrate on staying sober, the rest can follow later.
Hailstones are a wonder of nature, amazing really, at least they weren't big ones the other night so didn't cause any damage.
Re the eating, I used to think if I hardly eat and just drink I won't put weight on!!! Sheer madness, my diet was terrible. I'd rather be carrying a bit of weight than go back there again. I am making a big effort to eat well now but losing weight is going to be a slow process with me. Having thryroid problems doesn't help.

Duane, that is excellent news, just proves how much we are damaging ourselves by drinking, it also proves how quickly we start to mend once we stop. You must be relieved. Keep it up, you'll soon be as fit as a fiddle.

TTBABP, it would be rude not accept a slice or two of pizza if an old colleague brought it in specially. You could have had a piece for me!

You're doing fantastic Matthew, keep it up. Most headaches are caused by dehydration, or so I've been told. Make sure you are getting plenty of water and other non-alcoholic fluids inside you. It's very early days, so be kind to yourself. Baby steps remember.

See you all later, stay safe and sober Undies

Just for today, I will not belittle myself; Goodness knows, there are plenty of others To do that for me. Just for today, I will remember that in belittling myself, I belittle the One who made me
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday everyone. New day.

OK I'm gonna try to pull this out of the doldrums. That reminds me of one of my favorite books as a kid, The Phantom Tollbooth, where Milo magically (and accidentally) "jumps to conclusions" and "lands in the doldrums" (two places in The Kingdom of Wisdom).

BF I don't know if I have the stomach for the video, but if I have an opportunity to also gross out the guys I work with, I'll play it in the office I share with 3 others. Glad it went well!

Grace the snow has been persistent here, too. Lightest snow in years, then February comes and here it is. I don't know why I have been unmoved to play in it, but part of me is refusing to have fun... drama, angst. Familiar poisons.

I have been slacking on exercise also. I can't say I don't have time today; no evening appointments. What was working is packing a gym bag and bringing it to work; if I have to stop at home I have a tendency to stay there.

Hi Midnight, bloss, TTBABP, wwg, Caledonia, duane, benice, tanja, dickensen and everyone; have a good day!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Happy Wednesday to you too. I like that this thread gets a lot of activity. There is much wisdom over here! Sober1ck, you have a great writing style...do you write for work?

Grace, good luck with your afternoon sleepies. Glad to hear it's warming up a bit!

TTBABP, for exercise I am using the eliptical that is in my basement. And as much as I would like to have back my 20 year old shape, I am realistic. Starting slowly and keeping my goals simple...

Hello and good day to all other Undies!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Wednesday 2.30pm

Hi Undies
Thouroughly enjoyed a quick half hour unwinding and reading all your posts.
Still mad busy at the moment, just not enough hours in the day.

Hi Benice Glad you like it here Lovely to have you on board.

Catch you all later
Have a happy healthy day folks.
x
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Good Morning Undies,

Duane - I had a feeling your blood tests would come back well. It's amazing how well the liver can heal itself with abstinence. The fact that other health issues have gotten better is wonderful Just one more very good reason to stay sober!

Sobe1c - I think you are doing amazing in sobriety! Letting go and moving on is not easy and your tackling it in early sobriety. Pat yourself on the back! Thank you so much for the article

Boozefree - I am so glad to hear that the surgery went well for your dog. I know how hard it can be to restrain an active dog that has had surgery.

Grace - I can relate so well to the weight gain. I wasn't happy at all when I went to the doctor and they weighed me. But, even though I exercise every day - devouring large quantities of sweets caught up with me! I agree to take it as a very slow process and I would rather have the extra weight rather than still be drinking.

I had a vivid drinking dream last night. I dreamt that I had blown over 6 months of sobriety. The good news is that there was nothing pleasant in the dream. My dream included the horrible hangovers and disappointment over drinking. So, while the dream wasn't pleasant it reinforced my fdesire to never drink again.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Hi again

Sober1ck, you're doing well, the pain will get easier, time heals and all that. For now concentrate and focus on staying sober, the rest will fall into place. Keep yourself busy and get back into that exercise if it works for you. Get involved in some new interests.

B.F, I hope you doggie isn't too traumatised by the op and makes a rapid recovery poor thing. I bet once she's up and about she'll feel like she's been given a new lease of life.

Ha ha, Benice I won't be getting any afternoon siesta, I'm working 8-7, so no chance. To be honest I can't sleep during the day anyway, well not when I'm sober and I don't plan drinking again so just wishful thinking.
I'm glad you are enjoying this thread, it really is a caring one and we discuss all sort of things, not just drinking.

Tanja, those drinking dreams are awful, but like you I use them as a tool, a reminder that I don't forget about the deep hole I was in and I don't want to go back to, so I suppose some good does come out of them.

Have a good afteroon Undies.

Nicky, there are never enough hours in the day for me so I know where you're coming from. Try and get some time out for you and don't grind yourself down. How is your Mum doing now?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Hello Undies!

Tanja, I have had those dreams too. How disappointed I feel during them. Only strengthens my resolve on why I don't drink though.
BF, I think my neighbors dog had the same surgery. It took a while for him to come back, but seems to be 100% now.
Grace, I am an insomniac so I know all about trouble sleeping. Sometimes I am up playing guitar till 12:30a and have to get up at 5:30, but just can't get myself to sleep. I have had some relief w/ Melatonin, but sometimes I think it is myself not wanting to sleep because I feel I still have things I want to accomplish before going to bed. Exercise has also helped to tire me out. Anyone else here run? I started running 3 or 4 years ago. Not far, just 3 miles. Really has been fantastic for weight control and also balances me a bit.
I recommend the couch to 5 k if anyone is interested.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

16.00 and hitting that brick wall now.

Hi again, I've just hit the 3 o clock slump an hour late, I've gone sooooooo tired. I'm going to have to go and splash some cold water on my face, I think.
Duane, quite a few of here are insomniacs, I feel really tired, go to bed and three hours later I'm still wide awake, it's hard going when its a work day though as I'm up early too. Saying that I'm up early when it's not a work day!
Exercise is good and I'm into walking, which is better than nothing, it just clears my head somehow.

Anyway, see you laters
Old 02-06-2013, 10:26 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Wow must be something in the air causing drinking dreams. One of my December classmates just had a vivd drinking dream. Thus far I have not had one and it sounds like I do not want to.

Not much time to post so be well undies.

Grace its about 1:30pm where I am now and I'll be hitting that wall too in a couple hours
Old 02-06-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Sleep well folks!

Life can so much more difficult due to lack of sleep.

x
Old 02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Afternoon Undies,

Dreary, foggy day here, in the valley. I've got the lights on to keep the house a bit more "cheerful" at least in my mind.

I was out walking Blossom yesterday at the little park and had a sudden "urge"/thought to throw in the towel. Little voice whispered, it won't hurt you, why not? I just kept walking back toward home and realized I was a bit tired and hungry. I ate some food and lay down for a bit, read over some of my old journal entries back in the summer of 2011. This was a time I was still drinking periodically and very sad, unhappy. I dozed off for just a few minutes and the urge had passed. Then I made sure to tell a trusted person about what happened. It is always frustrating to deal with an urge. But, today I can go about my day, free of a hangover, still with my sobriety intact. So, all is well. Other than being tired and hungry, nothing out of the ordinary was happening at the time of the urge. That's how it is with me, I usually deal with major issues and remain sober, then when life settles down, I falter.

This time around: I am trying to be honest with myself and a select few people. Maintaining a routine of SR, journals and keeping my side of the street "clean" is helping. I Just needed to write it down, so I remember, a thought/urge does not have to be acted on.

Nicky: Hope you had a good day, try to get enough rest. I seem to have a hard time when I am tired and hungry. Oh that's right HALT!

TTBABP: Drinking dreams are so unpleasant, I am always so glad to wake up and realize I didn't pick up. Have a great afternoon.

Grace: Sorry you hit the wall, maybe the cool water will help. Try some deep breathing to, it will give the brain oxygen. Wishing you better sleep tonight.

Duane: I would like to run, but I never get too far. I am sure it helps rev up the metabolism, so one could eat a little more.

Tanja: Good idea to make a positive from the drinking dream, reinforce how terrible it is to drink alcohol, hangovers and all the possible awful outcomes of
relapse.

Benice: Good reminder for us to be "realistic" with our goals.

Sober1ck: Thanks for the link to the article. I will also try to pull myself out of the doldrums.

BF: Glad the surgery for doggie went well, hope recovery is not too painful. Take care.

M.B., WWG, duane, dickensen and everyone else
Have a nice Wednesday
Bloss
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Felt terrible today, headache and anxiety. But stayed sober.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Sorry you are not feeling well WWG. Good for your staying sober though. I hope you feel better soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:50 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I have so many reasons to be sober, and I owe it to myself. I hope my body will or can repair it self. I'm glad I made this decision at 34, because there is no way I would have made it to 50.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear your news Duane

I think most of us are amazed at how much our bodies recuperate and how lucky we are

hope you feel better soon WWG - I'd be very surprised if it's drink-related

D
Old 02-06-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Would you.....If I might ask...name a few of those reasons..just for those trying to get there.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by exauhsted View Post
Would you.....If I might ask...name a few of those reasons..just for those trying to get there.
The best reasons that I have to be sober are my wife and 3 year old daughter.