Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 4

Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  

Nice realization there RV....and good job on 50!

Way to pull through Samwhich. Sometimes we just have to get through "one of those days"!...

Way to go MidnightBlue...

I actually believe, our bodies and minds are very kind to us - we have been abusing them for years, and they recover just in a couple of months. We should be thankful!

You know, we take things for granted, but the above statementt is a great point MidnightBlue!...

See all soon....."Have a great sober Thanksgiving Everyone!"
Old 11-20-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Day 42 here. Learning this time out my struggle with alcohol is a symptom of something much deeper and therefore I work on my life now, not just my sobriety. Cleaning up my way of thinking and my actions has in turn made sobriety much easier for me this time. I think too many of us focus so much on staying sober we forget to work on the root of our struggles.

Anyway, stay strong everyone!
Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself...I'm on day 52. Its getting easier to resist...went to a gathering tonight and was unexpectedly confronted with alcohol. Really wanted to join in, and I can drink moderately....but its easier to just not drink period. Alot of work buying that one small bottle of wine almost daily.

Jim, Jim, so sorry to hear of your mom. That 's tough, and I can understand your anger.
Just keep posting and remember to be there for her.

Night, night.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Heidi

D
Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  

@ Midnight, my brother lived over there for about 4 years teaching English. He was getting married, so I flew out to visit him for a month and be his best man.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Wishing my class a sober Thanksgiving weekend if you celebrate it.

1 month and 3 weeks for me. I will have 2 months sober on December 1st. Went to supermarket and bought 2 bottles of red wine for tomorrow night's festivities at my home. They are safely put away and I have no mental cravings of any kind. I am grateful for that. I bought enough wine for the 4 guests and my husband to have a glass or two each. Anything beyond that will have to be consumed at the guests' home after my dinner party. No one is getting drunk on my dime this Thankgiving. I figure if you need/want more than 2 glasses with dinner perhaps you have a slight drinking problem.

I am at my therapist's office now waiting for my turn. As you know therapy is a tool I just added to my recovery toolbox and I am learning how to use it.

Happy to see us make it!
Old 11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  
Administrator

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it

D
Old 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Like many of you, this is a time of elevated anxiety, having to be around others in close quarters while they drink and we feel alienated. Just try to remember, they are human and full of flaws just like us, in fact they are us. Whatever you need to do to get yourself in balance with them and enjoy the love around that table is important. Giving thanks for having them in your lives and thanks for your sobriety is so important tomorrow. Try to let the anger and anxiety drop away for one day and just be there for them as they are for you. Good luck everyone and enjoy your day of sobriety and wear it like a badge of honor (just don't be a d*ck about it).
Old 11-22-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Octsober mates!

Just popped in to check how everyone is doing. I'm on Day 39, more or less Ok.

I wish a Great Sober Thanksgiving to all!

Have a great day.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hello October buddies! Just popping in! I finally made it to Peru and it's so good! I'm actually awake in the daytime and not too sick from the night before to go out and experience daylight. Furthermore, when I look back at the footage from previous vacations, the videos are shaky (from my quivering hands) and I look exhausted, even in the daylight. This time around I'm experiencing so much more, my videos and photographs are awesome, and because I'm not blowing hundreds of coin on wine and liquor, I've got so much more to spend on souvenirs for my family and friends for Christmas! I'm somewhere between days 25 and 30. I think my 30th day will be my last full day in Peru before going back home to the States, if I count correctly. I never thought I could do it.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:49 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Happy day after Thanksgiving. I hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday. My sobriety was truly tested the past few days. I stayed strong and sober. I went on a long bicycle ride after Thanksgiving dinner, usually I'd be working on a good drunk. It felt good.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

I was at a dinner party with my family and some family friends. I never realized how little people drank. Maybe a glass or 2 of wine over 4-5 hours. I'd be trying to figure out how to sneak more and more in, but likely failing in the process. I must have looked like such an alcoholic back then. I had a good time though, got to spend some quality time with my parents and shoot some pool. Good dinner and dessert.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

after the last few posts I feel like a real loser to say that I'm back on Day 1. Had a nice thanksgiving with friends and family but drank some champagne. Feeling really dumb.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up alcofribas. Continue where you left off and don't let that slip up discourage you.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Octsobermates.

I had a terrible day. Just want it to be over. Funny though, I felt like I wanted to be drunk, but did not want to drink. Day 40. I suppose it when all the "fun" starts.

Germanos - congrats on making it through Thanksgiving dinner. Glad to hear you had a good sober time.

Alcofribas - at least you just had some champaigne, not a lot. So, just get back on horse and move on.

My best wishes to all.

Have a great sober weekend.
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations to everyone surging forward

sorry for all those struggling or having bad days - tomorrow can only be better, right?

D
Old 11-23-2012, 03:50 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

I agree with Germanos that most people drink very little. One person at my dinner party had 2 drinks and the rest one or half of one. Maybe the wine I bought was not very good lol. I bought some I would drink myself had I been drinking... All went well, no cravings, no wishing I could drink. I was ok with everything and everybody. A trully emotionally sober evening.

Great to hear most of you stayed sober yesterday.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. One thing that sobriety has taught me is that a slip up is a slip up. When I was drinking a slip up was the start of a complete downward spiral.

I feel crappy today, fragile. Like my sobriety is so pathetic. Sorry to be a downer.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nothing pathetic about getting back to where you want to be, alcofribas

D
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee, I always appreciate your posts.

Today is just one of those days...everything seems so thin, brittle. I love being sober. And I hate being a drunk. I guess right now I feel like I'm somewhere in the middle of that, emotionally.