Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 4

Old 12-08-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 261 (permalink)  

Hello class,

Not counting days either buy feeling grateful they are piling up. I shared on another thread that I had thoughts of drinking after waking up from a medical procedure where they used Propofol IV to knock me out. I got on my phone while in the recovery room and posted here and on another forum I belong to for strength. The cravings lasted a few minutes and by the time I was ready to leave the surgical center there were totally gone. I hung on for dear life as I do not ever want to start this sobriety process from scratch again. That would be the worst thing that could happen to me if I survive the relapse. Unfortunately when I drink I MUST drive.

Today I went to dinner with family and the person who sat in front of me ordered a beer and her glass was right next to my plate all night long and there was not a single desire or thought or urge to consume alcohol. Talk about real freedom. It is possible.

Wishing everyone a sober Saturday night.

Natalie
Old 12-09-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 262 (permalink)  

So much gets accomplished on the week end these days, as well as work; family ski, chores done, clean garage and finished with a Sunday night with Pizza and a movie.
"limitless possibilities", how appropriate to describe most days.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 263 (permalink)  

Wow, guess I'm falling down on the job! This might be the first post I've made in the Class of Oct thread! Well, still sober...must be somewhere around nine weeks?

Tonight I did buy some wine...But don't worry! It was only to cook with. I did feel a little guilty/ashamed, and I was sure to tell the cashier I was only cooking with it (not that she would care!). Just to be safe I bought one of those little glasses with foil on the top. It's seriously just one self contained glass of wine, you rip off the foil then throw the cup away. If I didn't mention it I'm a chef and I cook with booze and wine all day and it doesn't really tempt me (partly because I don't cook with anything you'd want to drink).

At any rate, got some oven baked steak in the dutch oven right now. Should be done in a couple hours. Just enough time for a movie before dinner!
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 264 (permalink)  

Hello All,....I still like counting....It allows me to relish in my triumph....It's such a great reminder....

70 days...

Even bought the wife some wine without her asking. She was very nice and said "we don't have to have this in the house".....but, no desire here. I feel like I've totally snapped out of it.....but I know my body would snap right back into it....

My wife is a middle school teacher and went to a seminar (for school) at an addiction couseling center. Now, she finally gets it. This coincidently helped her understand where I'm at with alchohol.

Finally!!!

People, especially relatives or spouses really don't understand this and I feel sometimes they look at us like hypochondriacs.....well, it's real!!

Take care All....and let's keep it going!
Old 12-10-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 265 (permalink)  

Hello all,

NT, I still count the days also --to each his own --and one day that too may pass.

Cleaned out the garage today and found 6 more empty Vodka bottles in an old box and some empty beer cases in a storage locker--damn!

I also found about 8 bucks I had stashed in my toolbox to buy Vodka in an emergency and thought about it for a few moments and then it passed.

What a day---
Old 12-10-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 266 (permalink)  

Awesome NT 70 days, is great but more so than that, the feeling of having 'snapped out of it'.

I'm so happy you are making it man.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go NT

D
Old 12-10-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 268 (permalink)  

Hey, guys. I was originally part of the October group, but slipped at the end of October after nearly 4 weeks. I have since joined the December group and am back on day 2 after slipping again 1 week in. It is awesome to see those of you that have made it to the 50-60+ days mark, and good to see others still fighting. I am more determined than ever to stay sober this time around, and will be checking back with my original group from time to time for inspiration. Congratulation on your progress everyone!!
Old 12-11-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 269 (permalink)  

Thanks Jimjim, Dee, Surf4Life, Flounder and everyone...Those comments mean the world to me!!

Flounder, I cleaned out the garage this weekend also...So did Gladiolus. That's interesting!!. I just found vodka caps though...

Great to hear from you Jimjim and Surf4Life. I miss the ole' Crowd.

Jimjim, How have you been man?....
Old 12-11-2012, 11:37 AM
  # 270 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Octsobermates)

I'm doing ok today, had a crappy yesterday, but it's passed and over). Day 58.

Neverthought - congrats on 70 days!! 6 Great job)

MythOfSisyphus - thank you again for kind words and philosophy you shared with me yesterday) And I'm impressed - it should be quite a temptation to work all day with all this booze around and stay away from it. I have no idea how I'd cope with it. Way to go!

Redviper - glad to hear that sobriety is getting easier for you)

JimJim - so glad to hear from you! We are still here when you need us.

4Surf4Life - sorry that you slipped, but it's great you are back on track and determined to be sober. Hold on, it's worth it.

And my best wishes to all.

Have a great day)
Old 12-12-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 271 (permalink)  

Thanks MB.....way to go on 58.

Glad you made it though a rotten day.....that is strength showing right there!

Have a great week everyone!
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 272 (permalink)  

Checking in to see how everyone's doing and to report that I continue on this wonderful and sometimes challenging path of sobriety. This is the first time ever since 2005 when I had my first run at sobriety that I know deep within me that I can't ever drink again. I had never considered this option before, even during my long six years of sobriety I always held out hope that I could regain control over alcohol and become a normal drinker. This time something has shifted. I just know that consuming alcohol is something I will never ever do and taking that choice off the table *for ever make me feel free as heck.

Presently reading Radical Acceptance by Tara Brach. Highly recommend this wonderful book to those struggling with regret or guilt.

Natalie*
Old 12-12-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 273 (permalink)  

Hello everyone. Day 72 and I've been fighting a gnarly cold. But I'm sober and I don't have to worry about taking cold medicine while drinking. I don't have many cravings anymore. Life is getting brighter.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 274 (permalink)  
Administrator

hope you feel better soon RV

D
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 275 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Hi, Octsobermates.

I'm hitting 60 days today)

Redviper - get well soon and congrats on no more cravings.

Natalie - thanks for advice about the book.

My best wishes to all.

Have a good day)
Old 12-12-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 276 (permalink)  

10-25-12 50 days today glad to be a part of y'all.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:00 PM
  # 277 (permalink)  

I threw away all the booze in the house when I decided to quit, and I haven't run across any secret stashes. But there's one thing I haven't been able to throw away- my wine glasses! I don't have anything as nice as a Riedel or anything, mostly just mid-level stemless. While I don't plan to use them for wine anymore I'm enough of a pack rat that it doesn't seem to make sense to just toss 'em! It's not like they won't hold soda or juice!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 278 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
But there's one thing I haven't been able to throw away- my wine glasses!
MythOfSisyphus - it's funny. Once when I got enough of my wine consumption, I was such angry at myself that broke all my wine glasses to stop my drinking. Didn't work - I bought new ones)))) Now, I use wine glasses for juice, water - doesn't trigger me).
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM
  # 279 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Cwbugycody - welcome to our Octsober thread!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:43 PM
  # 280 (permalink)  

I have enough wine glasses for a small army. Everything from funny novelty to pricey Riedels. I just don't know why I hang on to them. Guests use them so they do get used. Ahh the reminders of how sophisticated people get wasted and call it wine tasting.