Notices

Class Of October 2012 Part 4

Old 11-23-2012, 08:45 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

I got pressured to drink from my wine club friends. I am so annoyed and mad at them for it. I can't be around them, I skipped dinner and went home. Even at 54 days I am having a hard time saying no. I feel so depressed now. Trying to keep the faith.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Ugh... still sober. I'm in Cusco, Peru now and having a great time. The nightlife here is amazing but of course, that's because of alcohol. I spent about 8 hours sightseeing and such outside earlier today in the main center, but it got dark and the nightclubs and bars opened. I was invited to go dancing at the disco, so I went in, but immediately I saw a sign advertising 2 for 1 specials and I couldn't take it. I had to leave. I lasted all of 30 seconds. I have had zero cravings for alcohol until I put myself in that environment, but I'm glad I left and went back to my apartment. It kind of sucks but I'm glad I have so many other fun daytime activities.

I'm also glad I'm on this trip alone. I think it would be extremely different so early in recovery to deal with drinking travel buddies. :/
Old 11-23-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, I found it too hard to be around drinkers so early in my recovery...especially if the occasion was expressly about drinking...

later on, when I developed my sobriety muscles, sure...I could go anywhere if I liked...but before that all I felt was out of place, tense, resentful...and scared.

D
Old 11-24-2012, 12:35 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Hi Today is my first day to become sober. I tried before but i kelpt getting craving. I am working how to contol the craving.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the thread Pamy

I think support really helps with tough times.

If you think you'd feel more comfortable with others at the same point of recovery we also have a Class of November thread for all those quitting this month:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-16.html

D
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hey Classi, Cuzco is beautiful. I love the architecture in the Plaza de Armas. Will you get to see Machu Picchu?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Just found this "Class of October" thread. I'm glad I did.
It seems like there is a before and after picture of myself in my head. The before picture is fading away and I only picture it when I feel like having a drink. I now have sight of the after picture. I can't really see it clearly yet but I like the feel of it. What a change 32days can make.
Grateful to be able to read your thoughts, it helps alot to be able to relate.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome Gladiolus

D
Old 11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

The holidays are a difficult time to be newly sober. I had to step away and ride my bike down to the river. I'm taking a break and sitting by the river and typing on here. I am starting to think I need alone time like this to reflect on my progress. I'm feeling like I need a new set of friends too. Friends want me to meet them for dinner at a pub tonight, it feels like more of a challenge than fun. One step at a time I guess.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Redviper, I find going to the gym, running, yoga, something intense like that, cleaning a corner, finishing a task that's been left behind because you were too busy drinking helps bring your mind back in a good place. It reminds you that your sober potential is so much greater than the drinking potential
I also noticed that the FEW times I was out with friends who were drinking, that:
1- once you say no to the first drink and have a soda instead it's easy after that... And
2- Most people don't drink that much! Of course the odd person drinks more than the rest and looking at them helps me not want to be them but I'm realizing that I drank more than most by far. Weird that I'm just noticing that now.
3- I say good night early,blame it on the babysitter and I'm so glad to be going home sober! I imagine it will get easier and we will stop thinking and over analyzing as much???
How anxious are most of you feeling? It comes on pretty strong sometimes and it takes work to get through it. I'm hoping that it will get less intense sooner than later.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
Administrator

Anxiety's a common factor I think?

It does settle down for most of us - but of course seeing your Dr can help if it's getting too much.

D
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,
not being able to have a drink when feeling anxious is taking my brain a while to adjust to. It helps to take action and remember to breathe. I use exercise, yoga and just started playing piano... (not well so far )to relieve stress and anxiety. I hope that I can learn to control it without meds. I'm striving to keep a clear mind free of drugs. I'm glag to hear that it does settle down with time for most of us.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:45 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Thanks Gladiolus. Yes most people can have a few and that's it. I never could, I was that guy that drank too much. As far as anxiety, I was overloaded with it the first 30 days. It did pass. The body needs time to heal. I found all the wine I drank affected my blood sugar too. I couldn't have a soda without it causing me to feel bad. That too is gone. Time and sobriety are the greatest gifts we can give ourselves.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

I am really craving that time and sobriety. I've been feeling incredibly depressed after drinking on the holiday. I feel like I can't get over this slump. Blargh
Old 11-25-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we can sometimes get really caught up on day counts.

The real achievement is not drinking and building a new sober life.

You're doing that right now alcofribas - and in that sense you're no different or better off to me or anyone else here, regardless of how many days we've done this before

Today's the day you need to focus that energy on, not yesterday or last week

D
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. I struggle a lot getting caught up in regrets and shame. But I don't need to do that, do I? It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that I need to shake. Glad I can come here and hear some good words to help me out with this.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no real point, no.

We can't change a second of whats gone before - and sometimes staying in the past, stewing, can actually drive us back towards the bottle....

whats done is done.

Make what you do today/tomorrow/this week/this year a kind of living amends to yourself, perhaps?

D
Old 11-25-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Hey class! Happy thanksgiving! Onward ho! 55 days today, which means 8 full weeks tomorrow! Yay! Been really rough the last few days. The beast is trying to set a drink again date and I just keep praying about it. Love natural sleep sooooo much these days. Best wishes everyone! Ill check in again in a few days.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Administrator

stay focused FT - keep moving forward

D
Old 11-26-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Hi healthy-
Mine was 10/27/12 so we're really close! Welcome!
That is also my day!