Notices

Class of June 2012 Part 2

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mm222 View Post
More than anything I want to be a good mother to my kids and today was one of those days where I constantly felt like I was being tested and not handling things as well as I ought to.

BUT-I didn't drink, and wasn't even really tempted to (RELIEF for that). As hard as today was I know that would only have made things 100x worse. Feels like a very different mind set from my last couple of attempts at this. Hopefully something's finally clicked.
Wow, I could have written that! I feel the exact same way. I think all parents are hard on themselves and all parents get very stressed and challenged by their kids. Hang in there, it can be tough but like you said, drinking just makes it so much worse!

Tara
Old 06-26-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Also, I wanted to say welcome to the new members.
I am on day 16 and for me, the support and understanding I get here has been extremely helpful. I never thought I'd make it this long, but then again, I knew in my heart I could never drink again.
Good luck on your journey and please share your experiences with us - it helps!

Tara
Old 06-26-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Finishing up day 7 today. Managed to lock myself out of my office. Everyone else gone and my purse, car keys, cell phone, everything locked up tight. Soooo...ironically the closest place I could walk to where there would possibly be a phone was a liquor store! I was fine...probably due to the fact that I didn't have my purse, therefore my money. I guess I am in what has been previously referred to here as "brain fog"...

Welcome 62412forever, rebirthday & OutwardBound! This is a really great group!

Sober4myboys...how awesome is your hubby? Wait...how awesome are YOU????

mm...tomorrow is another day. Why is it that being a mom comes with a significant dose of mother-guilt. Hang in there and good for you staying away from the drink.

duane...dang, dude! Being home alone and left to my own devices...well, that is scarey for me to even think about on my 7th sober day. Hat's off to you!

tara...can't wait to be where you are right now!

Wishing you all a peaceful slumber and a wonderful, SOBER tomorrow!!

((hugs))
Old 06-26-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Congrats to everyone on their sobriety!
My one year of sobriety was a few days ago and has it ever flown by. One day at a time you can do it!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Day 18 just starting for me,gonna go walk the dog,come back have breakfast,take kids to school,do stay and play with them,come back eat second breakfast,walk dog again and then go smash myself in the gym....Very busy morning for me,just how i like it.....Let the fun begin....Hope my classmates have a great day....Steve...
Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Morning all...

so it's day 5 and at the moment I feel really groggy. I've been up for half an hour but just can't shift this bleurgh feeling. More tea I think.

I am now in a place I haven't seen for over 2 years and tbh I'm struggling. The 'voice' was going crazy from last night onwards - mainly things like Hurray! You've proved you can get to day 5 - you've got this figured, you can do it again and more so don't worry if you have a drink...

I had a VERY close call. My MOT is overdue so last night I ordered my shopping online to be delivered for this afternoon. I added 2 bottles of Chardonnay in a complete almost stubborn moment. I want it therefore I shall have it. Checked out, paid, the lot. Luckily with Tesco you have a few hours to amend your order. I actually got out of bed to come down and cancel those 2 items which I am so pleased about however I just know today is going to be a struggle.

Wish I was feeling more positive this morning. Sorry guys!

I'll post again later when I am fully awake. With a
Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you cancelled that too MTN

D
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Yep I just thought how stupid having it delivered to your door. Wreck everything in the easiest laziest way out possible. For what? Nothing positive that's for sure. I'm well aware that there are several shops just round the corner but that means planning to walk round and at least gives me a battle on my hands and in my head that I can win. I CAN win. I WILL win.

Right, kettle back on, cuppas all round everybody
Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Good job, MTN! This WILL pass, and we can live without it...I mean, really live! Have a great day. I'm just headed to bed on this side of the pond!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Thank and night night O2binsd

Right... this is me starting today again...

I'm all tea'd up, awake and thinking clearly in a what was I thinking?! manner.

After I posting and having a think I realised it is one week today since I joined SR!!!

What a week it has been! Ok so blip on Friday but I can now say in the last week I have only had 1 bottle of wine. That's 9 units. Whereas previously I could easily average 100 units and if I was on the downward vodka cycle of drinking when I woke to feel normal it could be 150 a week.

That to me is amazing and I could not have done it without the support of all you lovely people on here :ghug3

So today I am not thinking day 5 and all the feelings that brings with it... I am thinking it's just another day, and today I will not drink, I will not destroy all my hard work and I will not go back to that dark dark place.

I'm going to keep on thinking this and get that little bit stronger every day.

Tonight before I go to bed sober I will be back to list all the positive things I have done today

Thank you everybody, I do feel quite humbled!
Old 06-27-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

MyTimeNow, amending that order shows the strength of your true and healthy self over the alcoholic one. Great work!

My wife and I used to belong to this wine club. They would deliver a case of assorted bottles every month. That was the only alcohol I ever had delivered (not that I didn't consider finding a place in Chicago that delivered during certain moments of alcoholic crisis...). But when it arrived it was like Christmas to this drunk. Needless to say that subscription ended. The case of not-so-cheap wines never lasted very long around me either.

Glad everyone is going strong still! Have a fantastic sober day. Relax and take it easy
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
clinging to success

Good morning all! Not a great nights sleep for me, but no hangover!!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Way to go on your moment of 'clarity' mytimenow! That is never easy, be proud, and I know you can make it through today.

OB
Old 06-27-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Had a very early breakfast w/ my pastor this morning. So great to be able to tell him I hadn't been drinking and I was actually telling him the truth. My pastor was the first person I went to about my addiction 2 1/2 years ago when he became our new pastor. He is a good pastor, but I have learned that he is really limited on how much he can help me since he has not suffered through the same addiction. Being on this site has really helped me to identify the voice that is my addiction and be aware of how the voice is trying to trick me into drinking again. I appreciate everyone sharing the highs and lows of their addiction. It really helps me deal with my own addiction. Be strong today classmates.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
MyTimeNow, amending that order shows the strength of your true and healthy self over the alcoholic one. Great work!

My wife and I used to belong to this wine club. They would deliver a case of assorted bottles every month. That was the only alcohol I ever had delivered (not that I didn't consider finding a place in Chicago that delivered during certain moments of alcoholic crisis...). But when it arrived it was like Christmas to this drunk. Needless to say that subscription ended. The case of not-so-cheap wines never lasted very long around me either.

Glad everyone is going strong still! Have a fantastic sober day. Relax and take it easy
Haha! I can see how that would be like Christmas! I actually looked at one once - Amazon often gave out vouchers for Virgin Wine - £40 off if you spent £90 or something silly on a case. I was seriously thinking about going for it and surely it's quite acceptable and a bit posh to be a member of a wine club, verging on being a connoisseur Luckily my bank balance couldn't have handled it.

Well my shopping arrived a few minutes ago. Nobody is more pleased than me that I cancelled the wine, although what I have ordered who knows?! I'm rubbish at online shopping I'll buy anything that says offer on it and nothing we actually need. The car is booked in for it's MOT tomorrow morning, so fingers crossed that it passes the first place I'll be going is to the supermarket! Useless!

Have a great day yourself oinobares
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OutwardBound View Post
Good morning all! Not a great nights sleep for me, but no hangover!!

Hope everyone has a great day.

Way to go on your moment of 'clarity' mytimenow! That is never easy, be proud, and I know you can make it through today.

OB
Thank you OB and good morning to you! No hangover is definitely worth it, well done you! Hope you have a fantastic day

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
Had a very early breakfast w/ my pastor this morning. So great to be able to tell him I hadn't been drinking and I was actually telling him the truth. My pastor was the first person I went to about my addiction 2 1/2 years ago when he became our new pastor. He is a good pastor, but I have learned that he is really limited on how much he can help me since he has not suffered through the same addiction. Being on this site has really helped me to identify the voice that is my addiction and be aware of how the voice is trying to trick me into drinking again. I appreciate everyone sharing the highs and lows of their addiction. It really helps me deal with my own addiction. Be strong today classmates.
That's great duane, I bet he is really proud of you! Hope you continue to have a great day
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Yes indeed I fancied myself a connoisseur. But then I was plowing through those bottles like nobody's business. My wife kept asking what had happened to that fine Pinot Noir, etc. My response: "uhhh, I guess I drank it?" Even master sommeliers wind up alcoholic, and I believe Jancis Robinson (the wine guru) has an article online somewhere about the that hazard of the oinological trade.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Duane, you ROCK! I'm so glad you're doing great on your solo mission. Interesting about your pastor -- he sounds like a good resource for moral support anyway, if not specifically the addiction part.

MTN and oino -- fortunately I live in a state where it's illegal to have wine shipped in like that, or I surely would have kept the UPS guy busy. The awful irony is those clubs are supposed to allow you to taste many different wines, enjoy the complex bouquet, HA! Taste! Like I drank for taste. :P

Have a super day everyone~ and thanks for being here.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by o2binsd View Post
Finishing up day 7 today. Managed to lock myself out of my office. Everyone else gone and my purse, car keys, cell phone, everything locked up tight. Soooo...ironically the closest place I could walk to where there would possibly be a phone was a liquor store! I was fine...probably due to the fact that I didn't have my purse, therefore my money. I guess I am in what has been previously referred to here as "brain fog"...

Welcome 62412forever, rebirthday & OutwardBound! This is a really great group!

Sober4myboys...how awesome is your hubby? Wait...how awesome are YOU????

mm...tomorrow is another day. Why is it that being a mom comes with a significant dose of mother-guilt. Hang in there and good for you staying away from the drink.

duane...dang, dude! Being home alone and left to my own devices...well, that is scarey for me to even think about on my 7th sober day. Hat's off to you!

tara...can't wait to be where you are right now!

Wishing you all a peaceful slumber and a wonderful, SOBER tomorrow!!

((hugs))
Thank you! He has not drank in 3 days and did pretty well in my opinion. Last night he made a comment about NEVER EVER drinking again, as in he was questioning it. I just flat told him, no I will NEVER EVER drink again, no matter what. He said that I shocked him by suddenly quitting and thinks I must have done something terrible to just stop lol. I assured him that I didn't, its just time to grow up and be a mom!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

As to all you mom's feeling mom guilt.... I do it ALL the time! They have been major testing me lately as well, but I handle it better sober and feel better about things being sober. Weird thing, they know there is a difference in mom too.

Another sober day here, so happy about it and looking forward to a million more. Congrats to all the milestones! -The 8 o'clock meeting and visiting with people! -The returned wine! -And all the sober days! Yay for everyone!
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I was just retrieving my 8-year-old daughter from her morning camp session, and on the way back I mentioned I have a friend from my meeting coming over to talk (sponsor), and that she could go watch a little TV and have a snack. She said to me, is "he from those meetings that help you not drink anymore."

You know I lived in denial so long about the fact that my kids recognized my drinking as a problem, it is still really strange and depressing to hear her say that, since it just cements further a truth I haven't wanted to face for ages. I felt compelled to say, "you know a lot of people go to those meetings," since my tendency is to view my self as some sort of solitary, screwed up monstrosity. Like I had to defend myself--but she was probably just happy about it.