Notices

Class of June 2012 Part 2

Old 06-25-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Alrighty.... another work day gone. I'm off to see my family and have another sober evening. I hope you all have one as well, best of luck and just remember you don't drink anymore! lol. I know that may not work for all of you, but it's amazing what we can convince ourselves.

Talk to you all tomorrow!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

So glad you guys are all continuing to bravely walk the path. Checking in here, reading your posts, adding my bit, going to meetings--these are the key ingredients in my sobriety now. I've been on an emotional roller coaster for the past few days, and still getting besieged by drinking thoughts. Went to a meeting tonight all out of sorts, uneasy, anxious. Came home much better. Potential sponsor coming to my house this week, and on the way home from picking up my 8 year old from camp, I mentioned that I have this meeting and she might have to occupy herself for about an hour or so, watching TV etc. She said, "is he from one of your meetings, is he coming to talk to you about your drinking?" I was pretty floored. They know I am going to meetings but I haven't talked to them about AA. Just goes to show they know a lot more about what is going on than we grown-ups like to believe.

Day 17 coming to a close. Another day sober, for which I am grateful.

Peace all! Stay strong!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Originally Posted by oinobares View Post
So glad you guys are all continuing to bravely walk the path. Checking in here, reading your posts, adding my bit, going to meetings--these are the key ingredients in my sobriety now. I've been on an emotional roller coaster for the past few days, and still getting besieged by drinking thoughts. Went to a meeting tonight all out of sorts, uneasy, anxious. Came home much better. Potential sponsor coming to my house this week, and on the way home from picking up my 8 year old from camp, I mentioned that I have this meeting and she might have to occupy herself for about an hour or so, watching TV etc. She said, "is he from one of your meetings, is he coming to talk to you about your drinking?" I was pretty floored. They know I am going to meetings but I haven't talked to them about AA. Just goes to show they know a lot more about what is going on than we grown-ups like to believe.

Day 17 coming to a close. Another day sober, for which I am grateful.

Peace all! Stay strong!
Your Daughter will be proud of you someday for going to those meetings.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Well, I'm a bit late checking in today but, YAY! It's day six for me! Funny thing...I thought I was actually pretty much over withdrawal by day 3. I was feeling purty dang good on day 4 but yesterday? Day 5? OY!!! I had really bad stomach cramps during which I would break out in a total sweat...worse than on day 1! I'm fine today, but really felt crappy yesterday. I guess my poor bod' is still fightin' the good fight. I'll tell you what, though. Today no craving because of yesterday being such a good reminder of the fact that I'm an alcoholic.

It's so wonderful to come here and see how you all are doing! Welcome to all who've just joined. I know you'll find this place to be full of friendlies!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I've been so busy rushing around doctors (minor ailments) and then working that I have just realised that I probably didn't think about alcohol in the last day and a half, other than coming to post here. My angry/disappointment at the medical care I'm getting is forefront in my mind at present. This bodes well I think.

Anyway on day 17 and feeling great today but been invited to a BBQ this weekend. Don't think I've ever been to one and not drank since I was about 12. In fact just writing about the BBQ just now has altered my mindset a little and pushed a slight craving forward. Bummer.

Bit of a split personality post there.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by o2binsd View Post
Well, I'm a bit late checking in today but, YAY! It's day six for me! Funny thing...I thought I was actually pretty much over withdrawal by day 3. I was feeling purty dang good on day 4 but yesterday? Day 5? OY!!! I had really bad stomach cramps during which I would break out in a total sweat...worse than on day 1! I'm fine today, but really felt crappy yesterday. I guess my poor bod' is still fightin' the good fight. I'll tell you what, though. Today no craving because of yesterday being such a good reminder of the fact that I'm an alcoholic.

It's so wonderful to come here and see how you all are doing! Welcome to all who've just joined. I know you'll find this place to be full of friendlies!
Yep, day 5 just about killed me after a fairly easy (in comparison) first few days, with the stomach cramps and unbelievable pain! Glad you're feeling better. Keep it up!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I tried posting last friday but it didn't take and using my crap phone for internet's not always fun, so gave up for a while. I've been sober since June 4th (yay!!) and have been very sick (which I'd previously posted elsewhere - had pneumonia, found out around day 8 when I went to the e.r. very dehydrated, had been through some hallucinations, shaking, fevers, etc., etc., but no real coughing or anything). Doing better, and went out all day last friday to face the world, not-so-ill and sober. It was exhausting. lol.

Maybe being so sick has helped me not want to drink. All they gave me (other than 3 ivs) in hospital was antibiotics. I haven't had much of an appetite since I quit, but I can afford to lose weight so I'm considering it a plus. Trying to eat more "good" foods, organics, etc. I'd advise anyone feeling bad to see a dr, even if you don't have insurance or money. I hear you! I went to the county e.r. and what a sh*t-show, 16 hrs to see a dr. Still, I'm grateful.

I've been writing down my experiences, good ol' paper and pen, so I can look back when I get an urge. I've had a few cravings, but so far nothing I didn't get past. It's hot today and I was thinking how nice a cold Foster's would be, or my fave wine on ice. Nope. Not nice, so gave up that idea. Reading all the pain and illness I've faced this month helps me to not want to go down that road again. Ever.

Plus, last friday morning I got a phone call near 2:30 a.m. from my youngest (early 20s) who needed a ride because her idiot boyfriend was arrested for DUI and car was being towed. I was so glad no one was hurt, but angry for loads of reasons: first, that she decided to ride along with him anyway - she was quite drunk. God, how many times did I risk my life riding in a car driven by a drunk? I'm thankful I (and others) came out of those occasions unhurt. I'd never get in a car again with someone who'd been drinking. I'm also angry with him for endangering her life, his life, their other passengers' lives, and the lives of innocent people on the road. I'm so grateful that cop pulled him over. My roommate and I went and picked up her and friends. He won't learn, I can bet you. I'm so fed up with that jerk, I can't even go there right now. Of course, I wish she'd dump the creep.

So I think it's been over 3 weeks now. I'm glad I decided to stop drinking. Alcohol isn't out of the house, though, as my roommate's an alcoholic. I'm not tempted by that. Usually I am turned-off by the whole idea as I now (soberly) watch him. He's fed up with me because I stopped drinking, saying how "mean" I've become. Yeah, maybe so. Try being as freakin' sick as I've been and be Miss Sunshine. Ok, ok, I'll work on the bad attitude. I do find, though, my anxiety is sometimes off the charts. I live in a big city and due to a job lay-off (not alcohol related) had to sell my car. I get around on public transportation or walking. I've been too sick to get out much lately. I found when I tried a good, long walk on Saturday that I was fairly paranoid. Whatever haze I seemed to permanently be in from my almost nightly drinking served me well enough to get through the craziness of dealing with walking around the city. I'm not in such a state now and fully realize the scummy situation I live near/in/around. Bleh. I'm depressed. This will pass, and I won't give up. Feeling better physically hasn't yet led to feeling better emotionally. I know it takes time. Plus, I've been very alone through all this. No "significant other" to share with, no family or friends who truly knew what a problem I had so I haven't shared.

Planning on getting to meetings again. Haven't felt up to walking a few miles again, like I did that first week before I became so ill. But I'll do it.

Anyway, good to read about so many doing so well. I know one of these days I will wake up feeling sunny and bright. I'm looking forward to that! Thanks for all the great posts. They really do help.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Morning all

So day 4 it is. I'm still feeling positive. Todays plans are a get together at the park with my friend and our LOs. Then DD is off to nursery. I'm hoping this afternoon to get out and do a couple of hours walking (ok maybe an hour!) I'm starting to feel the need to do something more active.

I've just been catching up on all the posts. Day 5 and stomach cramps... I think I'm hitting that a day early. Won't give too much detail but things are feeling a little awry in that department. I'll finish there - it's breakfast time!

Hope you are feeling a lot better soon fairenough, over 3 weeks is amazing, you will feel it once you are completely recovered from your illness

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
@ MyTimeNow--what are shreddies and cheese toasties?

Cheese toasties sound kinda yummy :-)
Shreddies are breakfast cereal samwitch, they'd be quite healthy too low sugar, lots of fibre but of course I added heaps of my own sugar and full fat milk! Oh well, I enjoyed them!

A cheese toastie? Well it's a toasted cheese samwitch (see what I did there? Sandwich? Haha *GROAN*)

I think everybody in the 80's over here had a toastie maker, I like to call them a poor mans panini... I did a quick google and found this link. Yes mine looked just like this with the ketchup too, it's all in the presentation!

Milkoo's Site!!! -- A site dedicated to nothing...at all...not a sausage

Just time for one more cup of tea for me then I better get this show on the road.

Have a great day everybody
Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Day 17 for me,already on my 2nd breakfast of the day...Yep thats right my hunger is still out of control....Off to my AA meet in half an hour and then gonna smash myself in the gym straight after....Hope everyone else is ok,will check back in later......
Old 06-26-2012, 03:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Good Morning all! Woke up to day 17. Didn't sleep well last night. Hopefully tonight will be better. Good day to everyone. Keep smiling!

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

good morning day 3
Old 06-26-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Good morning.... you all ready for my story of last night? (Another sober day :0)).

I get home from work and start blanching some vegtables from the garden. Husband walks up and says, I just want you to know I'm very proud of you. (Good start right).

Evening goes by and kids are in bed, we are outside talking, he says something to the effect of "we can make margarita's", so I ask him if there is a mouse in his pocket. He looks at me really weird and I told him that my NOT drinking is NOT temporary, this is a decision I made and a decision I will make every day. ( SO, I FINALLY TOLD HIM!). Anyway he asked me why and a bunch of other questions and said, "ok, well, then I will do it with you, I think we are past this stage in our lives anyway, was feeling like a pig". So anyway... I'm excited and I hope he sticks to it with me. I always bought the beer anyway so he would have to spend money to drink and he doesn't like to spend money lol.

Yay!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sober4myboys, that is great that he is giving you that support!

My wife still drinks a glass or two of wine on an evening, but keeps it very discreet. She is the normalest of normal drinkers.

day 18 here and still feeling like the only thing that is keeping me focussed is meeting after meeting and SR. My work is languishing. Overall a heavy aimlessness. Need to exercise and haven't had the motivation to do that.

Another sober day for which I am grateful though. Understanding this one day at a time thing more and more, since the delusional voice keeps whispering in my ear "someday...someday..."

Best to you and the entire June class!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Oin... with the excercise.... I find that I literally have to "schedule" it or I will find something else to do. Maybe do a schedule? Lunch hour? Before the kids go to camp? After dinner or meeting?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Originally Posted by sober4myboys View Post
Good morning.... you all ready for my story of last night? (Another sober day :0)).

I get home from work and start blanching some vegtables from the garden. Husband walks up and says, I just want you to know I'm very proud of you. (Good start right).

Evening goes by and kids are in bed, we are outside talking, he says something to the effect of "we can make margarita's", so I ask him if there is a mouse in his pocket. He looks at me really weird and I told him that my NOT drinking is NOT temporary, this is a decision I made and a decision I will make every day. ( SO, I FINALLY TOLD HIM!). Anyway he asked me why and a bunch of other questions and said, "ok, well, then I will do it with you, I think we are past this stage in our lives anyway, was feeling like a pig". So anyway... I'm excited and I hope he sticks to it with me. I always bought the beer anyway so he would have to spend money to drink and he doesn't like to spend money lol.

Yay!
Excellent news!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Today is day 24 for me. Everything has been going well. I feel like i'm getting less break outs on my face since i've quit drinking! Maybe it's just me. Walked 3.2 miles with my boyfriend out on the Canal last night. It was lovely. Have a great day everyone!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Excellent news sober4 ! Great that you have each other for support

Oinobares - have you taken any extra vitamins since you quit? I swear the B Vitamins and multivitamins have made a difference in my energy levels.

That said I'm feeling really antsy today. I guess because day 4 is pretty much new territory for me... I need to pick DD up from nursery and will just take enough cash for some sweeties for her. I've had a really nice day too, up early for some me time, a trip to the park with a friend and the kids and a productive afternoon in the house. I think my reward voice is trying to make itself heard.

DD home, dinner and straight to bed I think!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone here for being in this class with me. I love reading about your victories as well as the struggles. We should all be proud of what we're doing.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

MyTimeNow,

yes i am pretty diligent with vitamins, even when I was drinking, to minimize various deficiencies and withdrawal. B complex, magnesium, milk thistle. Fish oil. I also take the psyllium fiber (not for GI issues, but for overall health,blood stuff). I don't feel too fatigued, just listless. Like I am waiting for something to happen. I gather the lack of concentration is pretty normal in these early days.

Thanks!!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Three quarters through Day 17 and still rockin on...Went to a lunchtime AA meet and felt really good about being there...I have eaten like a pig again and will also be stuffing my face when i take my son to his karate lesson in an hours time.....Hope my fellow classmates are also rockin on...Take care all...Steve...