Notices

One Year and Over Club- Part 6

Old 08-02-2012, 07:24 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Thanks for the beautiful picture LB

Well, awfulness happened tonight. I ordered an Arnold Palmer while out to dinner with my sister. We were in the bar section so we could watch Olympics. I got my drink and it tasted Awful. I asked my sister to taste and she said she thought they had used artificial lemonade. So I tried again and it tasted awful and a little alcoholic. So I asked the bartender what it was and she said an Arnold Palmer....the alcoholic version !! Instead of lemonade they used lemon vodka.

I have been drinking Arnold Palmers forever and this was the first time I'd ever heard of it being alcoholic...ugh. And I've had it at this place before. I'm so pissed, I'm thinking of complaining to the manager. It doesn't effect my sobriety but what if I was someone who was still struggling...and that pushed them over the edge? What if I was Muslim? I don't like getting someone in trouble...what do you guys think?

It was so foul. I never drank vodka when I did drink. Blech
Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

Apparently what you got there's a 'John Daly'.

An Arnold Palmer is non alcoholic.
Personally I think you have a right to complain, T.

D
Old 08-02-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

what do you guys think?
I think it's pretty awesome how your primary reaction is disgust. Spoken like a true non-drinker.

As a fellow consumer of Arnold Palmers, I'm kind of shocked there is an alcoholic version. For some reason I think of it as my go-to drink when I'm at a bar or restaurant where others are getting beer, wine, and cocktails. Come to think of it, I don't recall anyone ever asking me if I meant one with or without booze, either.

If you want to bust 'em, you could post it on yelp. It would actually be a public service, far as I'm concerned, and it will certainly get the management's attention. If you don't specify when it happened, they would never know which staff person made the mistake.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Ah, didn't see Dee's explanation. (Thanks Dee!)

I say a Yelp posting is definitely in order. Power to the people!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  
Re-Member

You ordered an Arnold Palmer. You got an alcoholic drink. If the barkeep can't handle a simple order, I think he or she got themself in trouble without any help from you. Silence is assent.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Hey, just realized that the actual John Daly is in recovery.

This drink gets more offensive by the minute...
Old 08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  
instant

LF I think a polite note to the manager is OK, it's an important issue
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Evening Overs or morning as it is 2am.

I am sorry you guys but I personally would be livid if that happened to me and I would feel an obligation to do something about it. God forbid it happens again and this time someone goes on a bender over it. I would go w/my gut and I find when I am asking someone if I should do something chances are I should.

Time for me to go hit the hay. Have a great day all and oh btw love the hippie with the peace sign R&A

I just re-read that wow I was going on a poet journey :rotfxko
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 AM
  # 409 (permalink)  

LF I would definately be saying something...... I find that unacceptable, and frankly could be dangerous.....imagine getting breathalised....."but officer I was only drinking alcohol free drinks I swear!". Hmmmmmmmm Very dangerous for many reasons.

My pet peeve today is people who play games, especially in the workplace. The boss is away, and yet still he is creating problems via one team member. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I will not be dragged through this shyte.....I shall breathe deeply and try to rise above it. I can not control others actions after all.

If you have kids, here is a great and telling question to ask them...."What does Mummy/daddy like to do?".........kids never lie! Weeman's response was " Working on the computer, going to Cafe Berne and playing with me". Yep, all pretty much true. LOL although it is not work on the computer! heehee

Give it a go.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 410 (permalink)  

LF your motives were in check, so i wouldn't get nerved up, though i little mention might be the order.

the newb, IMO, well if it sent them over the edge, more work would be call for
Old 08-03-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Morning/evening overs!

Ewww-ick, LF. Sorry that happened.

Going bike riding this morning with a friend. I bought a bike two months ago and I'm still working out the kinks of how the gears work.

Friday friday friday!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

When I went to that bar a couple of weeks ago on a date, I ordered an Arnold Palmer (as it's my new alcohol...I'm so addicted to them seriously). The guy comes back and says "You wanted that alcoholic, of course, right?"
That's the 2nd time in the last 4 months I've had that happen. I think as Arnold Palmers become more popular, so will the drinking variant.
That being said, I most definitely would say something. With how jacked up our court system is here, let's say that did push someone over the edge. With a good attourney, I could see them being taken to court for serving them an alcoholic non-alcoholic drink, etc. along with all the after effects.
Also - what happens if you were underage?!??!

I'd say something to the manager. I would only post on yelp if it happened again - which I'm guessing you may not be inclined to go back.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Eh, I can't see a server being responsible for pushing someone over the hypothetical edge, legally or morally. I believe I alone am responsible for the choices I make.

If someone hands me an alcoholic drink, that's on them. What happens after that is entirely on me. Human beings make mistakes. One of my responsibilities is to accept that fact of life, and take appropriate measures to protect myself.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I didn't say I agreed with my line of reasoning R&A. Really - who'd have thought some woman would have got $1m for spilling the hot coffee she ordered on herself? Honestly. Just what some twisted person/lawyer could say.

I forgot to mention! I'm going out on a second date tonight . Going to another live music venue of a different flavor this time. Outdoor classical venue

He found it/heard about it and said he was going, etc. Why, oh why, couldn't I have met this guy sooner? LOL. Sigh.
Anyways - I am looking forward to it! For the company but especially the event!!! It sounds great and all those organizations are top notch, but together?! Wow!!

Tomorrow is apartment cleaning with my mother. The movers came last night and were like "uhh...you may want to clean up and throw stuff away you're not taking."
No crap, sherlock. My apartment is in complete disarray at the moment getting things clean. As a result I haven't done basic cleaning (dishes etc) in a while. Some things are getting done while others are getting neglected.

Cleaning is one of my character defects. I am well aware of that. I blamed it on my drinking for years. No. I'm just an effing slob. There. I said it out loud. I set out to make myself better, make lists of things that need to be done every week...hah. A month later, the vacuum still hasn't been ran, etc. I don't know why I'm so bad about it - conceptually I KNOW it needs to be done. But...even if it just means sitting and staring at a wall I end up doing that instead. I really don't know how to improve it either other than just doing it - which never works!

Anyways - ya. There's my random rant of the day at myself. OH. One other thing. I have a good friend who is coming over in March to see me from across the pond. It will be our first visit together with both of us sober. I've been looking forward to it for ages! Then he sends out a massive private message to me and a few dozen of his friends saying he's "met some woman (he's 41 - she's 20. T-w-e-n-t-y - a child) and that when I come to the US she is flying up to meet me and I'm proposing to her!"
1. Never once was I asked about having some stranger in my house. How...incredibly rude. Really?! I was so upset. I'm moving to a one bedroom apartment - I'm already going to buy a sleeper chair for my living room so he'll have something to sleep on while he's here as I don't have anything for guests currently. Not to mention - having to entertain two people?! Without asking. It's so presumptuous and really upset me.
2. I'm not going to be an enabler on this situation. I married young (1 year younger than she is). You don't know your rearend from your hands at that age, nor what you want for the rest of your life, etc. It's irresponsible. I don't even care about the age spread other than he should know better than to do that to someone. I'm not going to be party to that.
3. He was just scammed less than a month ago from another "long distance relationship" where the chick wiped out his bank account.

Regardless - whatever. It's not for me to tell him what I feel, etc. other than how it will directly impact me and my feelings. So, I did something I've not done in a while with friends and established the boundary of "No, she cannot come to my home. You can come, alone, if you'd like, but if you don't want to do that I understand and respect it." I left my personal opinions out of it for now and left it at "I don't have the space, I'm extremely uncomfortable with it and it was really rude and I am not entertaining two people at this point and time."

Eventually (within the next week or so), I think I need to tell him about how I feel now in regards to a relationship/marriage at that age, coming from personal experience. Realistically, though I know it won't do a damn bit of good.

ok, anyways, now everyone have a nice weekend.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 415 (permalink)  

I didn't say I agreed with my line of reasoning R&A.
I know—I wasn't just talking about the lawsuit, but the idea that the alcoholic on edge is purely a victim of circumstance. Early in sobriety, I was very careful to keep an eye on my drinks. Now I like to think I'm at the same point as LF—someone hands me a drink, it would be like if someone put mayo on my hamburger. I'd be upset and disgusted... but in no danger of asking for more mayo. Until I reached that point, I recognized the potential for drink orders to get mixed up, and took appropriate precautions.

Cleaning is one of my character defects. I am well aware of that. I blamed it on my drinking for years. No. I'm just an effing slob.
Yes, I have a lazy streak I attributed to alcohol. Turns out it's just me!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM
  # 416 (permalink)  

401 days now.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Woohoo—we are getting up there, Rossy!

I just wish there was a way to catch up to RZ and newby, but try as I might, I can never close that gap, lol....
Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

I'll be forever chasing their tails too! I'm ok with that.
There's plenty of good dust to catch in their wake!
Old 08-03-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I will have 40 years of pretty great marriage and 2 years of great sobriety next month, in that order.

LB this last minute relationship may just be to make you realize that your match is out there and you are good enough, you have it. This favorite quote from "The Great One" says it best.

"If you have it and you know you have it, then you have it. If you have it and don't know you have it, you don't have it. If you don't have it but you think you have it, then you have it."
Jackie Gleason

I don't think it is whether we are neat or slobs as much as are we happy with what we choose? I have a son who is cleaning challenged and the other who is OC about lining up his socks in the dresser drawers. I fall closer to the neat nut than the other end. However my slob son makes great money and so does his wife, and they chose to not have children. Which we are both happy with as the other son had three so no shortage of progeny to carry on. The point is they are both quite happy with eating out daily, and having their two Golden giant Retrievers hair everywhere in the house. They both ski and are divers like us, and do triathalons unlike us. He rides his bicycle twenty miles round trip here in the heat and he is 38! They have their priorities straight for themselves. I will insist on them being neat nuts when they convince me to start doing triathalons. In other words we are happy for them and their choices, and I ain't running anything unless a gun is pointed in my direction.
:rotfxko
Old 08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

LB this last minute relationship may just be to make you realize that your match is out there and you are good enough, you have it. This favorite quote from "The Great One" says it best.
Itchy, I almost said the same thing earlier and thought it may be a bit pompous. . I do believe that - finally. I truly do.