Notices

Class of March 2011 Part 12

Old 01-21-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Let's hear the George story!

Thanks for the recipe L and go go go to Marchers shopping and cooking and planning and eating and volleyballing.

The race was a great time. Thanks for all the encouragement! Easy peasy getting there. We drove instead of the bus. Scored the best parking spot, right on Central Park West at the start line. The snow was fine, it was the slush that made things difficult. It was twice as hard as running on pavement, much like sand running. It was hard. Very hard. I walked for the first time ever.

My friend and I were on the verge of bagging it or gutting through it when a race official closed the race at 7 miles. They diverted us so we could cross the "official" finish line. People faster than us were allowed to continue the full course but I was perfectly happy to be pulled. I didn't quit.... I followed race instructions. I'm as tired as I would be for the normal 13.1. Upsides are many--the bragging rights of having done my absolute best in really lousy conditions.

On a less-positive note, I'm all for forgiveness and understanding, but my dad's comment is just shi*tty. I can't change him and I don't have to be hurt by it, but I also don't have to excuse it or brush it off. Yes it still bothers me but I am not going to be self-destructive about it. So YEAH ME.

I'm cozy and warm on the couch and thinking wonderful things about all of you.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great job today, frances...that DOES sound tough! I saw on the news that it was snowing out there and thought about you. Glad it went well that that you're home, comfy cozy now. Sorry you're feeling crappy about your dad. My dad can be crotchety and negative too sometimes. Sucks to have your feelings hurt like that.

I'm gettin lots done today which feels good. We're having dinner with my rents after we help them install the radio/cd player we got em for xmas...it goes under a cabinet in the kitchen.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:09 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

thats pretty much how I pictured you Lofty

Congrats on the race Frances - and try not to dwell on stuff your Dad says - my dad is like that too....maybe it's something peculiar to that generation...

anyway - we know we're doing well, and striving to do our best with everything - and thats the main thing, I reckon

D
Old 01-21-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Editor

OH HELL YEA! I love it when a plan comes together! I havent read any other posts yet. I saw lofty and got a smile on my face. frances I know that you ran like the wind. I will read all the posts in a bit.
Can you believe that I am running my freaking air conditioner today??????WTH Its January!
DAve
Old 01-21-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
orangutan

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
& you're a poet too Aussie

D
LOL.

Originally Posted by frances2011 View Post
Aussie, is it so busy because it's summer? Hope you get a breather soon!
It is still school holidays here and we are a tourist town so about a week to go till school resumes and things get back to normal.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:46 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Editor

Ok caught up. frances...chin up..most would not have even gone. You are awesome!
PBC spicy chicken, coconut rice and mango salsa! Slap me and call me Ringo! I love that stuff!
aussie- just a few more days.....then peace and quite. I use to love the down season when I was younger. I missed the tips but It was nice!
Mirage your avatar scares me a little.
Lofty....save some lamb for me.
Dee keep it real!
DAve
Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid of King Don, he's a marcher! See him marching? He's wearing ballet flats, but don't let that concern you.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Whew! Kitchen is painted. It's "burnt sienna" color, which is a dark burnt orange/taupe. Deep color, so we primed with tinted primer, then one coat of Valspar Signature Paint and Primer in one. We TSP'd the walls first. Kitchen is hardwood, so we just used 3' brown runner paper for drops, and blue masking tape. No ceiling, as they are textured. 3/8 nap for the little bit rolled; most was brushed. Wife does NOT cut in. I don't like paint on the ceiling, and am particular about the cut in.

The only problem? I don't think I've ever painted without beer before. When we were done, it looked better than most other jobs, but I was looking for my reward! Smoke, drink? Nada. I'm still kinda jonesin for at least a smoke.

Sorry about the run, Frances. That sucks. There will be more in the future, though, so hang in there.

I'm tired. We went to church tonight, so I have the day tomorrow. My kids played their first night in the praise band. I was proud.

What's the G. Peppard story? My avi is him. Dee...I do look a little like that, but I'm not as old or as handsome as George was.

Good nite, all.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Dave, writing, "Can you believe that I am running my freaking air conditioner today??????WTH Its January!" is NOT the best way to win friends and influence people from the frigid north. Just sayin', as I shiver beneath my blankie with my morning coffee.

It sounds like you did GREAT, Frances! I'm so proud of you!

Mirage, they are very MANLY ballet flats. Ok, no, they're not. I suppose he's a metro man, before his time. Is a scepter more manly than a man-bag? I'm not sure.

Aussie, tourist towns are usually in really beautiful locations or have special sights/attractions in them. Would you be willing to tell us about your town? We have one BIG tourist season in May: the Tulip Time Festival, which is one of the 3 largest festivals in the US. I love it! Of course, it lasts 10 days and then is over, except for the summer people who come for the beach here.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Lofty, what instruments do they play? What songs did they do? We should get Mirage and put together a Marchers band!!! I'll bring the keys and sing backup, my daughter can do bass or flute or sing or percussion, you can do trumpet, Mirage can sing lead ... wooo-hoooooooooo!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'm in. I sing better than trumpet these days, but I'm dusting off the oldie goldie and gettin' her fixed. I have a son that's a bassist, and one that's a drummer. My daughter sings. I can't name the line up, but our new music director is great with selections.

BTW...I saw that video on Holland, and plan to visit some day. Keep me posted on when the festivals occur. I'd love for our families to meet up some time.

Also, post a video clip of your praise band somewhere!

Morning Marchers!

Mirage, forgot to mention, we use eggshell. Always. Kitchen looks great. I'll try to figure out how to post a pic of it. If it weren't for my aching shoulders, I'd have the painting bug, but I'm gonna take it slow...one step at a time. Today, other items on the agenda, including football, cooking and planning for my work week.

Frances...do you think David Allen is the yankee version of Larry the Cable Guy? Both espouse the idea "Git R Done". Is GTD called GRD in the south? Dave? Do you know?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Morning Marchers!

Woot Lofty! Way to go. That's funny about never painting sober before. Funny how alcohol was woven into life. What's a "cut in"? (Sorry if I'm just pre-coffee and not getting it.)

Going to yoga this AM with my friend who knows a lot about yoga. I have a feeling this instructor is REALLY GOOD and I'm excited for my friend to meet her. Could have run but decided not to because my knee is twingy from the snow-action yesterday.

When I talked to my dad yesterday, I skipped around the real story about cutting the course short and just told him "I did great!" he asked about my time but I just said, "Slower than usual, doesn't matter in this case." He was really nice and interested, which makes his obnoxious comments from the day before even more confusing.

I guess that's part of my past--inconsistent messages, inconsistent care--that's why ACoAs "guess at what normal is." I had an insight last night, thinking about all your nice comments saying you understand but not to let it get under my skin. I want to fight back at you, "But but but he's an A**HOLE!" Instead, I thought, "I don't have to accept my dad's comments or factor them into my self-esteem. I can be proud of myself just for myself."

A long way to go, but the end result is that I took another step towards healthily separating my self-esteem from my family of origin.

****Warning: Whacked-out deep-brain dream dump ahead.*****
Crazy weirdo dreams last night fighting and arguing with my older sister (the one I am No Contact with) and my mom. In this dream, my mom wasn't sick. My sister and she were really tight and I was the maligned sneered-at left-out black sheep. I kept trying to show that I was really a valuable part of the family and was helping, but my sister deflected all that that so she was the only one getting the praise and was "right." Competing for attention and losing the battle. Ca-Ray-Zee. CRAZ-Y.
****Dream End****

Ob-vi-ous-ly, my brain is unearthing some deep deep stuff. It's all good, just letting it out. Today is a new day and I'm going to enjoy the sunshine. Seriously, while the above stuff is nuts, I'm letting it go.

Hope you all are having a good day being your very best self today.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:11 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Lofty and PBC, we were posting at the same time. I want to be in the band too. I play guitar and I'll do back-up vocals for Mirage.

GRD, GTD, just DO IT!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Wow! We've got a whole band! What do Aussie, Dee, and Dave play?

Frances, you may hate me for this, but here's a theory. Your dad had so many questions and was nice to you about the race, because he realized he was an ******* before. Coming from a man who knows how to put his thoughts out there before thinking them through, I may have some insight. 'Nuff said.

Crazy dream, indeed. Is your mom sick? If so, I may have missed that in the past. Sorry.

Cutting in is painting the corners with a brush with enough margin to allow the roller to not touch the adjacent surface.

Great day, all!!

Oh yeah...Frances...what is this sunshine thing you speak of? Dave....same question about air conditioning?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Ahhh, now I understand the cut-in thing, right. Thx for explanation.

My mom died from cancer when I was a teenager, which was the real icing on the cake of her being a mean drunk. The few dreams I've had about her, sometimes she's sick, sometimes she's healthy, sometimes she's a happy person she wasn't in life. They are always striking because I dream of her so rarely.

Sorry to be talking about sad stuff on such a beautiful morning, but I am really feeling good. The air is crisp and cold and beautiful. That's what's real so I'm staying in today.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Aw, sorry that you lost your mom, frances..I'm not sure I caught that earlier either. Glad you're feeling good today, tho..regardless of the dream and all.

Thanks for the info, Lofty. Funny you said a burnt sienna color. Yesterday I got paint samples at Lowes and I got all like a dark dusty blue/gray color. Last night I was laying in bed and thought, that's what I tried to get MY bathroom to look like, but I got the color wrong, it's a lighter blue than I wanted...so maybe I should save that color and repaint ours like that and do the boys' a burnt sienna color. Did it cover ok? I get worried about red tones. We had to do 7 coats of a deep red in the computer room. I'd love to see a picture, it sounds great.

Lol pbc..yes, the scepter is definitely a fashion don't. Ha..a band, eh? I'm in!

Oh right, the George Peppard story...ok, so George is buried down the road from where I went to high school. I lived in that city till about 6 years ago. So when my kids were toddlers, I spent almost every day with my parents..they were retired and loved seeing the boys so much and it helped fill the days going to parks, to eat, to museums, etc. So anyway, whenever we would drive by the cemetery, my dad would say "you know George Peppard is buried there". It got obnoxious and sort of a running joke..that he always had to acknowledge dead George Peppard. So my youngest was about 2 I guess, and I taught him to say "George Peppard" when we drove by the cemetery as a joke on my dad. He couldn't really talk yet, so it sounded like "Joj Pepod". I prompted him with something like "Benny! Who's in there?" "Joj Pepod!" lolol It was funny.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm trying to get back into bass now, but it's like starting again it's been so long - I have all the knowledge...just lost my muscle memory in my hands LOL

D
Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My note above parses weird upon re-reading. Anyhoo, I had/am having a nice day. Yoga was great and my friend really liked the instructor. Went food shopping and did some laundry and played with the dog. Husband is making whole-wheat spinach mushroom redpepper cheddar cheese pizza on the grill.

He leaves tomorrow night for 9 days on business. This will be the longest we've ever been apart. I am ready for it!

Going to use Lofty's tool to WRITE DOWN some goals tonight for tomorrow so I hit the ground running.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

I'm sure you'll do great, Frances. You are strong in your new self. Sorry about your mom; I didn't realize she had passed. I know the hardest part of my quitting drinking in college was dealing with my feelings about my parents. It's not as major a role now, but when it rears it's ugly head, I get that burning, seething, adrenaline-like rush that doesn't easily subside. I think I get where you were coming from on your dad's comments. My wife gets the same thing with her mother.

I'm skipping my AA mtg tonight, as I intended to do my list for tomorrow. But, here I sit on the couch watching football. Wife is asleep on the couch next to me. Why are we beat at 8:30? Well, we woke up with the painting bug. So, with the kitchen done, we moved on to the hall, and started in on the great room. Whew! Great progress, but we are probably only 1/3 done. The nice part? By the end of February, we'll have a new looking house!

Mirage...we swear by Lowe's Valspar Signature hi-def paint and primers. The deepest color we painted was the burnt sienna (not sure of name as we lost the card). The lady at the store said to use a gray tinted primer, and one coat of color would do the trick, and it did. I wish I'd known that before putting 4 coats of scarlet red in the basement bathroom. We love the colors we're using. The card is 3008-10, Cincinnatian Hotel Briggs Beige, Light Raffia, and the Sienna, which was on a complimentary card. We're sticking with bright white for the trim, but thought about the Del Coronado Tequila, the third color on the card. I couldn't use it though, since I quit drinking. Plus I'm not really up to painting 61 bannister spindles just to change trim color.

Dee's our bass player!!!! Frances is on guitars and vocals! That leaves Aussie and Dave. We need someone on the sound board, and a stage designer!

Frances...I am a gourmet pizza maker too. Did you use white cheddar? I haven' t done one on the grille, but when/if I build a barbecue grille, I plan on putting a pizza oven in it for wood-burned pizza. Hope your pizza was great. My specialty? Breakfast pizza. Yum!

Mirage...I feel like I've had a brush with greatness, knowing someone who knows where George Peppard is buried! And I didn't even know he was dead! Great story. Ya gotta love the repeat stories from the rents.

Peace, love, and happiness, Marchers! Good night!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thanks for that info, Lofty. Interesting you like the Valspar..for some reason I've shied away from that brand. Nice to know you're happy with it. I'm gonna check those colors. Good job painting more today, wow! (You feel like you've had a brush with greatness because YOU HAVE.)

Ooh frances, that pizza sounds awesome!

Ha..I came to say good night, too! I'm on the couch watchin football, drinkin tea and eatin a Ding Dong. (Ok, fine...TWO Ding Dongs.) Just thinking about how much I appreciate you guys.

Oh crap..this game is going into overtime. C'mon New York!!! TAKE THEM DOWN!!! Freakin San Fran. I mean I don't have anything against the city in general. I like Rice-A-Roni as much as the next guy, and the trolley cars? Cute with their little bells ringin. Hills are cool too. My problem is I think Harbaugh's a punk. He's just got "tool" written all over him. Ok, I'll stop. (go Giants)