Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Thanks, Ghostly... really appreciate your words
Old 01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey really - I think Ghostly actually said everything I was going to

It is hard to deal with stuff when you've spent your whole life not dealing with stuff...but for me at least I think a lot of that was fear...

once I jumped off and started to deal with more and more stuff sober - be it everyday problems or some of that primeval dark stuff - it got easier for me

hang in there real
D
Old 01-31-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

All us here have realized by now in one form or another that sobriety as a way of life is achievable. In my case it required me to "reinvent" myself in my mind. I have set priorities of what is important and not. Being healthy, being fit being the best husband and father I can be, along with other personal and business goals and must do's.

I am not anywhere done in my "reinvention". I don't know if I ever will be. Actually, I hope I never finish and keep changing all my life. But one thing that I need, value, and I am willing to work for is sobriety at whatever the cost.

R4R. I had a moment this weekend myself where I looked at the mirror, looked at myself and felt really sad. I don't know why I felt this way, but I asked myself what was it that I needed at that moment and it was happiness. I need to program happiness in to my life. It does not come easy or naturally, but I am willing to work for it.

We have all gone through a lot of changes in the past four months. Some have been easy, some not so (for myself at least). A lot of other people tried sobriety at the same time and faded away from our group. We really need to celebrate our commitment to being here from time to time and continue on our journey. Like Hilary last week, you hit a bump on the road. We must stay on course no matter how heavy our load is.

Hang in there friend.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:52 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey Really-

I can totally understand where you are coming from....I think everyone here probably can in their own way. Searching inside myself has been painful, frightening, intriguing and immensely rewarding (sometimes all at once). At times, often even, I think with each hour and day that passes while I'm sober I discover a little bit more about whom I'm actually not and that gives me a glimpse of who I really am.

Anyway- as to the meds- I've been on sleeping/anxiety medications for almost 15 or so years (maybe longer). That's not something I could just simply 'stop' when I decided the drinking etc. were over with (in consulting my doctor he pointed out that seizures were likely if I did) - so what I have been doing is exactly what you stated, taking exactly the prescribed dosage. I did this through 30ish days, then I discussed tapering with my doctor and that's what I've been doing and I've been finding that for me it's actually working.....by staying sober, working the program of recovery that AA offers, coming to SR, trying to get back into physical shape etc. when the evenings come the anxiety is not so savage. It got to the point where I was able to stop using the anxiety medication altogether and just rely on the sleeping medication. Over time I've been finding that even in that area the dosage can be decreased and amazingly whereas I thought I would never ever be able to stop worrying or sleep with some doctor prescribed pills (and maybe I will always need a small amount, I don't know yet) I'm becoming hopeful that there's another reality out there for me.

There was at least two nights when I came home from meetings and was so wound up, sometimes with anxiety and once with happiness that I had the urge to take more than what was prescribed which would have gotten me high and I was able to remind myself just how precious sobriety has been for me/ to me thus far and I was able to stop myself before going 'there' and I was SO grateful the next day that I did (cuz who knows where it would end right?).

Anyhow I just wanted to share that with you so you know that you're not alone and also to share how my personal experience with the meds has been. Trust me when I say I do NOT want to be on them- I've been on them for SO very long but I also knew enough to consult with my doctor and work with him on the matter to be safe about the whole thing. Honestly if you would have told me ~100 days ago that in 100 days I would no longer be taking my anxiety med and have cut my sleeping medication down to 1/4 of a full dosage I would have told you (anybody, not you you!) - that you were effing crazy!

So as Tom and dee and Ghostly said- hang in there, you're doing great so far- watch the meds of course, and remember they are not your Goliath - Alcohol etc. is and put your energy into fighting your Goliath and following the doctors orders with the medications and who knows, if we all stick together maybe one day none of us will be on them any longer or maybe we'll all be on much smaller doses than we need today.

Either way as long as we aren't drinking or using drugs we're in the solution not the problem. Getting off or tapering on the meds is just icing on the cake to me as long as we aren't using them to get high which I'm not and your not either! Good job R4R and thanks for sharing with the class..

Laundry time!
Old 02-01-2011, 11:49 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

WOW! Thanks everyone... you kinda brought a couple tears to my eyes with all the kindness and stuff.

I've always been the 'strong' one - not wanting to be some stereo-typical emotional female. Although not much about my life has been 'status quo'.... But I'm realizing that being strong is in dealing with the emotions, not burying them. What I'm dealing with now is just a huge ball of anger on one side that feels more like a fury inside of me - and it scares me. And on the other side is a whole bunch of fear.
So, yeah, I'd really like to shut it down - through any means possible. But I won't... because I'm a survivor and I won't let those feelings rule me. Which means, yeah, I have to deal with them. My past is the past and although I'm dealing with it now, my past isn't going to be or rule my future.

TDC - Funny avatar... you made me laugh - thanks They should put a sign next to it that says "Caution: Ice Forms When It Freezes"... I do like what you said about reinventiing ourselves. I like to look at it as coming back to who we were originally intended to be without all the 'junk' -whether the junk is past 'stuff' or what we have used to cover it up or cover ourselves up in some way. I'm coming into who I'm really supposed to be.

Swan - Thanks for the openness about the meds. I was the kind of person a couple years ago that said no way to any kind of medication - that my 'faith' would get me through. My faith is helping get me through, but I had to realize that the medication is actually part of the plan. Only if I don't overdo it... and the last couple days, I've really wanted to.

Unless the ice storm stops it, I'll see my therapist tonight and try to make some sense out of all this... I'm sure that I'll be seeing things in different light tonight (or I'll just blow up and feel much better .

Thanks friends...
Old 02-02-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

No therapist last night - he called to cancel because of icy weather that was coming through. Had to set it up for next Tuesday. Major bummer... but I'll survive. Pretty much just kind of shutdown in the emotional arena.
Very, very much wanted a drink last night - so very glad there was none in the house! And kind of proud of myself that I only took one lone pill of the anxiety meds when I wanted to take two or three... Had some Sleepytime Tea instead and chilled with some music. I still feel a bit of twinge to drink, but I'm holding it down...

See you all later.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sept 30, 2010

Hang in there R4R. You have come a long way. This will come to pass.

TdC
Old 02-02-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you're hanging in there Really.

My most recent bottom will involve me losing my license and doing some jail time. I just want to go to court, admit my wrong doing, accept the courts sentence, sell my car, start figuring out how I can fulfill that sentence, etc. and begin to put this behind me.

My attorney on the other hand, who had ignored me for the past 15 or so days, finally called me yesterday evening and wants to drag this thing out even longer, is all filled with doom and gloom (it's a 2nd offense so there are mandatory minimums involved), and really 'got' to me last night. He wants to 'fight' the case. I hung the phone up with him and just reminded myself how awful it was 'whenever' I drank and that if I stay with my sobriety, since nobody got hurt in this recent event, that I can hopefully continue to look at this incident as a blessing because it got me sober and not the end of the world as he would like me to view the whole ordeal.

Different situations for certain, but I just figured I'd toss that out there that I've got a lot of things hanging over my head too and while it would be easy to throw the f'it switch and drink over them or overuse my meds I'm constantly reminding myself how it will end, that I'd have to start over again and honestly I just really don't want to go there.....staying sober and building a new life from scratch sounds so much more desirable even if it is going to be a longer and perhaps harder journey with courtrooms and jail and no driving (to abide by the courts ruling when it happens) - you know a whole bunch of things I'd either rather not deal with at all or deal with messed up- at least the old me would prefer to handle it all while drinking- and drive whenever I wanted to and just hope not to get pulled over during the probation period etc. Well, I should clarify that, my driving was not usually coupled with drinking, this was a rarity because I left the city (we have good public trans here) but it only took once. But you know what I'm saying, going to all the classes etc. - the old me would rather drink afterwards, and drink hard. Going to jail- same thing, drink hard before going in and party like a rockstar after getting out. So on and so forth.

Anyway....yeah, life can be not a lot of fun at times. And yea, my attorney was able to drag me all down into the doom and gloom last night somehow even though I had/have more or less accepted what I did and what I was going to have to deal with. Don't think I wanna turn back though, not over his thoughts, or what I have to deal with which, just like all my emotional stuff that I've had and have to deal with, are usually issues that were entirely of my own making....so they won't go away just be drinking again.

Yep, writing this for me as much as you. Nobody said this was gonna be easy but I still don't think I wanna turn back, not now. Hope you feel the same.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:45 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Thanks TDC... I'm hanging in there.... actually I think this is one of those times when I'm being held onto. Not feeling much like I have a whole lot of strength to hold on. But I guess I could be stronger than I look

Swan - Thanks much for sharing that. I'm one to believe in prayer - and I've been doing that a lot lately... but I pray the judge has leniency on you and that it won't get dragged out too long... It's really I guess all about consequences. I've been where you are now... except I didn't get a lawyer and they sent me to some three day evaluation rehab thing -- and did exactly what you said -- got out and started drinking again. It was my second offense also, but the previous one was 20 years ago... that may have saved my license (after the 6 months I had to give them up) and not given me much in-house time. Hoping the same goes for you and the judge sees you really are serious about your sobriety. What I'm going through is about consequences also... though this time, not by my own doing - but still have to be dealt with as if they were. We deal with the consequences and we get on with our learning to live again without the junk.

I really have to shake out of this funk... this is totally not who I am
Old 02-02-2011, 03:50 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Really, I do hope you shake the funk. Just know we all are here for you. I do understand not being able to see your therapist. After my surgery I was unable to get to see mine. I was so glad when she came out to my house to see me. I was unable to drive and it was physically hard for me to get around. Hang in there.

Swan, so sorry to hear about possible jail time and loss of your license. I hope and pray that you don't though.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:24 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

My favorite part of these posts is how we are all utilizing prayer as a key tool in our sobriety!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Not to say if anyone doesn't there is anything wrong with that either! I just think it's cool...I couldn't get into a higher power before, and I think that's part of why I couldn't make sobriety stick for me....

Coming to the close of another day sober...and happy to be sober indeed! hope everyone else is doing well...

TDC - I picked up a Cannondale Caad9 4 series road bike in preparation for having no car soon and so far she's a bunch of fun to ride!! Hope you're cycling has been going well!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:52 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

I believe some of us are soon or have reached that 100 days mark!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Have a great day class. The weather in out here said sunny and sober today! =P Let's make it so...err at least the sober part!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

sorry folks I wasn't available for posting but I was reading.

A friend and colleague buried her nephew yesterday on his 32nd birthday. His was a recovering heroin addict that had major health problems as a result of his addiction. It was so sad to watch this lovely family bury someone so young and such a waste of exceptional talent, he was a published author and very talented artist. Never been to a funeral of someone so young dead due to addiction. Never hope to attend another one.

Really - I am sorry to hear that you had a 'bump' in the road. Hope things are a bit more settled now. I understand about the medication but be very careful that you are not replacing one element with another. God knows there are times when we all want to feel numb...I think that is part of the addiction. I know that when I drank most of the time it was because I didn't want to 'feel' and to feel numb was great. Lets face it before we gave up alcohol, I am sure none of us were getting a buzz from it like in the beginning. Anyway you are a strong person and I hope the bump is in the distance. We all go through these tests and I am sure they will get a lot more challenging in the future. Thats what SR is for..

Swan that is difficult to have the whole court thing hanging over with your licence but imagine how much worse it would be for you and for any judge if you were not sober. Ireland's judicial system is not at strict as in the states so hope it goes ok..your in my thoughts.

Anyway I am ok...very flu'e this week with aches and pains everywhere. I have just got out of bed and after sleeping for the last hour or so. I never sleep in the afternoon but for the last 2 days I have felt so poorly and I have to work in the mornings. So I just struggle on till the afternoon and then crash. My husband is running the house/kids like a well oiled machine...might just not recover lol lol. He knows that I am genuinely sick so is really helping...he hated helping when it was just a hangover so thats a positive.

Anyway kids to sort and snuggle into bed on this very very windy and dark evening. Take care ps..4 calendar months sober tomorrow
Old 02-03-2011, 01:32 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your friends loss H.
This truly is a dreadful, often deadly, disease.

D
Old 02-03-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Drunk in Recovery

Catching up on reading everyone's posts tonight, I am struck by what a brave group of people you all are. It takes guts to talk about this stuff and keep on doing the next right thing even when your mind plays tricks, when life gets difficult, when you're just tired. I'm proud of and impressed by you all.

I've got four months and a few days into this thing now. I'm working in AA and doing my fourth step with a sponsor. I'm not sold on AA lock stock and barrel, but I figure might as well see what it does... and it certainly does wonders to keep me from going back to drinking when my mind tells me it would be nice to do so.

All the best to everyone!!
Old 02-03-2011, 08:02 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey Caribbean -- Congrats on the 4 + months!!!!

Looks like Hils is tomorrow and mine is on Monday!

Regardless of what I feel like doing, sobriety is what I want and need. Not a drink or several pills or whatever... I'm not about to shut things down when they are just about to explode and get some healing... So, I have to hold on a few more days, journaling and try to release some of the stuff little by little -- ok. Just like everything else I've been through, I've always come out the other side. This will be no exception.

I did take tomorrow off as a vacation day... kind of wondering what I'm going to do with myself. Only a bit afraid that my resolve to not drink will wane. But I'm going to focus on staying sober and getting past the junk so I can be just a little more free from the tentacles of alcohol.

Thanks Akasha - It's been such a blessing to me getting to know all of you and others on SR...

You guys have been my lifeline and my friends.... thanks from the bottom of my heart
Old 02-03-2011, 10:48 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Congrats Carribean! Way to go!

Moo Moos I'm very sorry to hear about your friend. I've lost a close friend at an early age (he was about 32 or 34 as well...) it was one of the worst experiences of my life going home for the funeral and watching his mother keep trying to run back to the coffin screaming...she couldn't let go.

One of a handful of very tragic days in this lifetime. The deadliness of this disease was never clearer and yet that wasn't enough to get me or my friend to sober up back in 2002, sadly.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
Dismember

Hello all.

Fallen off the grid but not off the wagon. Couple nights ago went out for karaoke for a friend's going away party. Sang three songs, all while sober. Also kind of grateful everyone but me was drinking because my last song was a bit of a disaster but no one seemed to care. (Note to self: never try to sing the Supremes again.)

My second night at a "drinking establishment" this month. No intentions to make a habit of it, but I am grateful that I have wonderful supports with me when I go. And it's proof positive that alcohol is totally irrelevant for me to have fun and enjoy myself.

Grateful for all I've read here today. It's good for me to hear others' stories. I've been on a pretty good streak lately, finding I've made a good change and experiencing more happiness than I have in years. Not perfect; my depression's kicked in pretty hard this year too. I have no reason to expect that there wont be hard times down the road, and it's good for me to be ready for that. But on the flipside, I think it's good for everyone to remember that hard times also do not always last forever, and we have a right to hope.