Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

August Sbriety Group-Part 3

Here is the link to the last thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html

Enjoy your fresh page...
Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

I did make it through the evening sober...thanks everyone for your much needed support.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hitting my 4th weekend sober.

Sitting here sipping my tea, greeting the Sun.

Good luck my American chums over the pond on your long weekend. These can be tough. NOT because of what we are doing but because of what we THINK other people are doing! When I face those weekends I usually visulise all the happy people and families doing great things outdoors, having b-b-q's, visiting music festivals, filling pubs and generally re-inforcing what an isolated, Johny no mates life I have. LMAO!

The silly thing is of course is that a lot of people envy my lifestyle (little do they know!).

I have today organised in that I am heading into town. Will attend the Orthodox Liturgy for a few hours. I will then hit the old bookshops and have a nosey around town. I will do a small grocery shop on the way home before finally settling down for the evening. I have run out of nice NA drinks so I need to do something about that.

The brain is a funny thing: it told me today. 'Well...yeah...you think you're doing okay now...but how are you going to get through Christmas eh?'

You have to laugh!
Old 09-05-2009, 02:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

2nd weekend sober. 8 days. Sorry I ain't been around. I didn't have anything to say about the topics at hand for a few pages. Nothing personal.

I read the other thread a half hour ago, so I'll summarize: congratulations everybody with days, months, and everybody still on board. Bounce back, angelina and traderjane. It's rough, but just do it before you know you did it.

Shakespeare, funny, I was talking about that just the other day. People wish they had my life... haha. I was told I 'have it all'. This makes no sense, what with my past and my present, but I guess I only type things. Don't feel compelled to talk much. But anyways, I don't think anybody likes what they have--in any aspect of life--always envying what others have. I have like you a 'Johny no mates' (I like that) life here, which I think only bothers me because I used to have a much fuller social life. It's the shock of the difference that gets me.

And my brain also likes to sabotage me. Luckily I learned today that my little finger is my body-part savior. And it knows how to drive.

I didn't drink today, meant to, was pushed off course by a rebellious digit. So I kinda been floating, not doing much of nothing. Got a bunch done though. Got my financial aid finally. Put minutes on my phone. Looked at a mall. Got a couple novels for if I'm bored.

Legal liquor sales stopped 6 minutes ago, and what with the long weekend even if I wanted to I wouldn't hit the bootleggers. Say hi to the checkstop guy. I don't fear the breathalyzer, but then I never did. I never looked drunk enough to get breathalyzed until the day I wrecked. Tip of the hat and I'm on my way, my friends were always amazed. Now I fear checkstops and I'm sober. Hmmm.

So, I guess it's pretty sure I'll make 8 days of sober in a row. Yay me. In twenty years, my record is two months, followed by 11 days last month. Now 8. And then 4, 3, and a whole lot of 1-2s when I didn't intend to stay sober, just had to sober up for a job interview or something. Wow. I've probably spent more hours on the road (used to drive for a living) than sober.

That's not a very good thing to be known for. Guess I need more sober days. I think I'll start with tomorrow, 'cause it looks convenient to me.

Laters y'all.
Old 09-05-2009, 05:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

August Sobriety Group Part 3....wow., I couldn't find out thread when I logged on this morning. Then, I saw that we have shared and supported each other so much we are on part 3.

Well done to everyone fighting the urges and cravings but not caving!!!

Re-discovering hobbies and talents that we drowned with alcohol for so long takes some time. It takes time for our bodies to heal..our brains to function properly. To say nothing of feeding our bodies with something other then alcohol as fuel. I tended not to eat as much when drinking., thinking it was a liquid diet. My body still needed nutrients and food to function. Slowly, I am trying to replenish my body.

Zebra..I will be curious to know if you are sore today. Each time I get back into my excercise routine, I reminded of exactly how old I am.

Waking up clear headed today to start a three day weekend is a great feeling.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ANEWAUGUST Zebra..I will be curious to know if you are sore today. Each time I get back into my excercise routine, I reminded of exactly how old I am.

I'm not too sore, but some muscle groups are a bit fatigued. But it's a whole lot better than feeling hung over, both physically and mentally. I'm probably going to go back today and I'll take my 16 year old daughter who runs cross country and is a fitness nut with me.

I ran a 10K with her last spring (well, I didn't actually run with her, let's just say that we rode there in the same car). I actually got passed by some young guy in his 20's pushing some type of 3 wheeled running stroller with his kid inside. I had 3 goals for the race. Number #1, don't die #2, don't walk, #3, try to look cool at the finish line by sprinting passed a couple of old ladies with blue hair. I accomplished all three. My point is, if I can do this kind of stuff, most anybody can.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just winding up day 28 and what a day it was.

My sobirety is costing me a fortune. I decided to take my eldest daughter to Tokyo to do some shopping, really for my benefit as I want to stay busy. For me this is a 3 hour train journey and alcohol is available all day here, in the past I would have had a beer on the 7:42 am train; I'm away for the day after all.

I got to Tokyo and spent the next few hours shopping. I bought some decently-priced clothes for myself from but ruined my frugality by buying a frigging Prada bag. As well as being a binge drinker I am also a bit of a binge shopper and I write this in all seriousness.

As there are no bookstores selling English books where I live I always visit a bookstore before getting the train home. The last time I was there I bought a book on wine thinking I would take my wine drinking more seriously. I guess I wanted to be another excuse to guzzle more wine. This time I picked up a book called Drunkard by Neil Steinberg. I started reading it on the train home and it is fabulous. Indeed it is another thing to help me stay sober. I think I'll start a new thread to see if anyone else has read it and get their thoughts.

Anyway another Saturday night sober and feeling confident.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Morning MY AWESOME AUGUST FRIENDS!!!

traderjane...You CAN DO THIS! And you will! :) (((Laura)))

box3...This...
The cold reality of getting drunk (not the happy one the cravings romanticise) is empty and depressing and does not bring relief. You will grow stronger from this.
...is SO, SO TRUE! Great reminder to give ANGELINA243! :) Thank you for asking about my back yesterday! Yes, it is better, but still not right. It hurt when I was walking around the park and I kept thinking how it was not good for me to be on those rides (particularly the one where the kiddie coaster came to an abrupt STOP! and jerked us forward...YOWZAH!). But that wasn't the worst of things that hurt my back. We were on the Merry-Go-Round and it's the kind where you are on horses with springs so you have to rock it back and forth as the Merry-Go-Round goes round. Anyway, I stopped rocking because it was hurting my back...(the kids were old enough to do their own and didn't need my help, instead insisting I MUST ride on a horse beside them! LOL) SO hubby comes up behind me and playfully says, "What wrong Mama? Running out of steam?!" and THEN, he does the worst thing he could have done (as I am sort of twisted around to look at him because he is behind me, on the side of my horse)...he pushes the horse back and forth SO HARD...and SNAP...YEEEEEEOWZAH! I was SO MAD at him! It was an accident, of course, but it really hurt. And from THAT point on my back really hurt :( The coaster ride was after. UGH. So anyway! I hope you are fully recovered! I thought of you and ANEWAUGUST on our ride home because I was starting to feel as if I was coming down with something. OH NO! Vacation starts TOMORROW! EEKS!

ANGELINA243...I'm SO PROUD OF YOU! YOU DID IT! WHOO-HOO! You must feel very empowered today! :) You go girl!

Shakespeare...Congrats on hitting your FOURTH weekend! WHOO-HOO! :) That's awesome! You must be coming up on your big 30 or 31, huh? AWESOME! I love this...
Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
Good luck my American chums over the pond on your long weekend.
Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
The silly thing is of course is that a lot of people envy my lifestyle (little do they know!).
I can SO RELATE. The grass is always greener, huh?

thirtybubba...I am so proud of you! 8 days is AMAZING! Celebrate, my friend but do NOT do this...
Originally Posted by thirtybubba View Post
I didn't drink today, meant to, was pushed off course by a rebellious digit.
Good Morning ANEWAUGUST! I hope you are feeling better! (((hugs)))

Time for me to GET MOVING! I have SO MUCH to do to get us ready for our vacation. I was out of commission all week so that means I have a house to clean, food to plan, shop for AND prepare/cook, all the packing to do and a camper to get ready...WHEW! NO time to think about drinking on this day! In the past I would have been sitting here hungover and unmotivated...tomorrow would have been SO STRESSFUL. On several planned trips, we failed to leave on the day we were supposed to because of me and my drinking :( Too hungover and lazy to get us ready :( BUT THIS TIME...crap week and all...is going to be different! It's going to be a GREAT day and we will leave not only on the day WE PLANNED, but ON TIME! WHOO-HOO! :)

PurpleCat, ChameleonBoy, Dee74, bohemianzen, tallcactus, anono, bdiddy, KC1, bananagrrrl, rubycanoe, Zebra1275,...so good to hear from you all! :) WAY TO GUYS! Keep on keeping on! :)

I probably won't get back here until later this evening so I hope you all have a WONDERFUL day! And if you DO see me pop in, kick me out RIGHT AWAY, okay?

Missed you yesterday...Beckles, BuddhaBear (it's been WAAAAY too long, Buddha!), effortjoy, Gofish, groggles55, KindBird, Lastthird, Midton, OceanBound, Reese321, sphalerite, TooMuchRum, ViciousCycle and Wildrover and all the other awesome people that have posted on our thread, but not returned!

Love and (((hugs))),
Old 09-05-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh (((Midton))), there you are! No wonder you didn't check in! You were too busy spending money! I can SO RELATE! :) We'll have to work on finding things to keep us busy that DO NOT involve spending money, huh? You sound AWESOME and very determined! 28 days! WHOO-HOO! That's the way to do it! :)
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good Morning classmates.. 2 all of U.
Check in: Sober, day 36.
No plans 4 this holiday weekend and that's okay.
After buying the 2 steaks, I discovered I had no gas or propane (whatever that stuff is) so I just cut them in strips, placed them in the wok, added, onions, garlic, green peppers and last tomatoes; it was very good, we all enjoyed it. (me and the chihuahua's)
Went to bed somewhere around 9pm and slept and dreamed well.
Congratulations 2 all so far that checked in, no relapses. Awesome!
How R U feeling box?
Midton, wow, Tokyo, what is Tokyo like?
Stay strong everyone.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

angelina.. i'm glad you didnt cave.. well done !!!!

congrats to box.. 1 month

TJ: i'm glad to hear things are going better for you.. and the relapse only helped strengthen your resolve....

sounds like things are settling down for people yay...

breakfree: sounds like your going to enjoy your camping trip.. is your back better?

so do we have 3 aussies here?

dee i'm not a footy fanatic either, but it is good to hear when your home state wins..especially over a victorian team

hi to everyone else.......enjoy your 3 day weekend, everyone sounds so positive about it! good stuff

except shakespeare, you on a normal 2 day weekend like me , well actually i got conned into working tommorrow so i have a 1 day weekend

happy fathers day tommorrow to all fathers in the region!!

i'm heading to catch some zzzz

wake up to day....11!

bye all
Old 09-05-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

afternoon all

check in from sunny england, day 9 for me, and I'm doing good, no cravings and all the horrible withdrawal symptoms have gone. Sleeping great, its only a 2 day weekend here, and me and the children are just blobbing out, they are still in nightwear and they've just informed me that they are not getting dressed and instead are going to play and make stuff!!!!!! Which will involve glitter and I have such a glitter phobia, weird I know, but you find it everywhere, and for days and days and days after. yuck.

Then tomorrow, we're going to a girl guide centenary thing, cos the guides are 100 years old. That's about it.

Have been reading all the posts, and every one is doing such a great job, keep going.

Have to go, gold glitter has just been spilt.

Take care all and big hugs.
xxx
Old 09-05-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good morning...still here and the start of week 3 yesterday. I hope all of you out there that are ahead of me in the days of sobriety stay ahead. I'll probably be gone from here for a couple of days since I have to go and build a kind of micro cabin for the oldest stepdaughter and her boyfriend/fiance?? Hopefully the days will be long so we can get it done in 2 or 3 days and that truly does keep my mind occupied and other directed...a good physical and mental workout. Keep on track folks!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Morning!!!

Slept about 12 hours of rock solid sleep last night (to make up for the previous night where I was up most of the night). That's the thing about me -- I can always sleep (that is, IF I stay away from alcohol!)

My ex-husband has the kids this weekend (phew!) so I get a much needed break. However, it's going to be a working weekend because I have the school directory to get together. My big work project was finished yesterday (YAY!) so I can now focus on the school project. I hope to have at least a little fun this weekend mixed in with the work. And by fun I don't mean running out to the liquor store kind of fun...learned my lesson on that one

Have a GREAT day everyone. Will check in later.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good morning all! It is almost afternoon actually. I slept 12 hours also. <yawn>

Day 32 for me and we are smoking a ham today on the grill thingy. Not sure what else. I am plagued with this feeling that someone mentioned on SR a while ago, that of waiting for something to start or end? That and not feeling like doing anything at all.

I need to let some of you guys' productivity rub off on me. I think it has something to do with it being the weekend and having all of this nice time on my hands.

I am reading a good book: The First Year of Sobriety- When all that Changes is Everything. It is quite good and I can relate to the stories of those in early sobriety.

Hope everyone has a sober and wonderful day!

Libby
Old 09-05-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

day 10 for me. breakfree you have truly helped me by helping me to focus on the double digits coming up! I had a couple rough days but what you said helped me to focus on the future and keep going! ((((((breakfree))))))))
I hope I can make it through the long weekend as well as all of you and also everyone who doesn't have a long weekend. I am really going to try and relax and also get things done.
My allergies are not too good right now, so trying to decide about meds or if that will make me feel worse, not sure? Take care all, we can do it , thanks for the support!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
ANEWAUGUST I had 3 goals for the race. Number #1, don't die #2, don't walk, #3, try to look cool at the finish line by sprinting passed a couple of old ladies with blue hair. I accomplished all three.
LMAO....Congratulations and thank you for sharing your success with us. Personally I think those are wonderful goals for running a race.

The mountains treated me well yesterday, I was going to post a picture of my favorite spot below one of the falls but I haven't had time to edit it down to size to fit. I woke up this morning and did my morning readings followed by prayer and meditation. I'm really feeling peaceful right now. I'm going to take my son downtown and drop him off at the city library then go hit a matinee......just because. I have no plans beyond that but I know it will be all good. Nothing on this earth can cause me to drink today just as nothing can separate me from God, with the one single exception of myself.

Separation, that is the real curse of alcohol for me. I am so selfish when I drink. I don't drink for anyone else's benefit. I don't know of one person that actually wants me to drink. Alcohol separates me from Loved ones and life. My desire today is to be in harmony with life and alcohol only puts me in conflict with it. So alcohol is not on my agenda for today.

I have as always enjoyed reading all of your posts today. The spirit of this group....you people bring peace to my heart. Thank you so much for sharing your lives here.

One of my favorite smiles ------> <--------To August group.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Early evening Saturday night.

Spent the day in York. Didn't manage to buy anything which is unusual for me. Not for want of looking!

Felt grumpy again tonight. There are a couple of irritations at the moment that are not serious but on top of not being able to drink I am finding that minor irritations really do **** me off!

I am going to check out Midton's book. I have zero cravings for alcohol in it's self but I am having cravings to do something to change my mood or cure my voidness (I don't think the word boredom does justice to what one feels without alcohol).

I think I need to do something about my isolation too. I do encounter people during some days and there is social intercourse but there are not enough 'significant' others close by me. I live alone and in the middle of the country. Everything is a car journey.

I have grown so used to living on my own now though I have concerns about how I would cope with anyone staying around here with me for any length of time. As soon as I get my spare room sorted out I am planning to get people over. I think I have avoided that in the past because I have so loved being on my own with my trusty bottle of wine by my side. With my wine I never needed any body. Just my TV on, my laptop on the go, and my music. Party for one!!

It sounds sad but it never felt sad. And I would be lying if I say I didn't enjoy it. I loved it! The point is with me,however, is when something feels that good..I just want to do it, and do it, and do it and do it........

What I need to work out for my self is why does it just feel so damn good getting pished and will I ever find the alternative satisfying enough.

I personally want to get to the 90 day point. That's when the brains reset button gets hit. I will be in a much better position then to evaluate this whole not drinking thing.

In the mean time well done guys and don't take any notice of me tonight....I'm just feeling sorry for my self.. LMAO!
Old 09-05-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey y'all. It's officially day 8. And 5 extra hours. Just making it official.

Have a lovely Saturday.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

evening

just thought I'd share my saturday evening with you, sat with my children watching X-Factor with a tonic water, lots of ice and a slice. mmmm bliss.

Hope your all doing OK. Its 8.30 pm in the UK, so we're winding down.

Shakespeare, I am the same, I used to put the children to bed, shut the house up for the night and get the wine or lager out, wouldn't answer the phone or open the door, have to say thought it would change once I stopped drinking, but even now I've stopped drinking most evenings I can't be bothered to speak to anyone, I guess I'm just happy being by myself, difference with me is I have children, so by the time they have gone to bed, I'm exhausted with their constant chatter and questions, or I"m a miserable arse, haven't decided which yet. lol.

Right waffled enough, better go.

Take care all.