Notices

August Sbriety Group-Part 3

Old 09-06-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey everyone,
Really a lovely day here in Southern Maryland. The weather lately has been remarkable. It is great to wake up feeling good right from the beginning. I used to tell my sober friends that they were feeling the best they were going to feel while I would be feeling better all day. Changed my mind, I don't mind feeling the my best first thing in the morning. I go out on the screened in porch and have my coffee and listen to nature. It is awesome. We have a large contingent of gray squirrels and they race all over the trees chasing each other. Really fun to watch.

After my wife and son got up, I made breakfast of eggs, corned beef hash and toast. We all sat on the porch and relaxed. My son is still having some difficulty relaxing, but he is so glad to be home. He asked me if I wanted to go out with him and his friends to party tonight. I assured him I really didn't want to go. He just smiled and told me how proud he was of me. Sure like those positive strokes once in awhile.

I am blessed to have a great support group at home and at the local AA meetings. My sponsor is perfect for me. He checks on me every day or two. Not over the top, just always there when I need him.

I truly have seen alot of progress by everyone in the group. Remember when we were have alot of repeat Day 1s, well now we getting more with 5-7 days. That is true progress. Congrats to the sucessful people, and keep up the great work for those who have struggles. The most important point is a DESIRE to quit drinking.

Have a safe and healthy Sunday where ever you may be.
Best to you and yours.

Wildrover
Old 09-06-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! More of the same today. Working on my school directory project, watching some tennis on TV and hope to go for a run/bike ride on this gorgeous day. Wildrover, I live in Maryland, too!!!

I hope everyone is hanging in there this holiday weekend in the US. I'm doing great. Like Wildrover, I really enjoy sleeping well and waking up feeling good. I have been eating Oatmeal Squares cereal for breakfast, something I would have never been able to stomach if I were drinking. Gosh I don't miss that feeling. Ugghhhhhh.....I know so many of you can relate. It's like night and day, really. Why it takes us so long to figure this out, I don't know. But I am proud of the progress I have made even though there were some road bumps getting here. No cravings at all after that last time drinking. Wouldn't it be great if the cravings just went away all together, forever? I wonder if that ever happens? Maybe we can make it happen with some positive thinking.

Happy Sunday, everyone.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

just passing through guys - it's great to see so many people doing well

D
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
KC1

Good Evening everyone! I am back from the golf course. I did "okay" today. Not as good as yesterday, but hey, that's golf. Tomorrow is the Couples Club Championship. My golf partner has already called and is starting to lecture me about "winning" this event. I could care less. I am glad to be able to play and get out in the fresh air and if we win, we win. If we don't, we don't. Hubby is away for the night and I have to admit, I ALMOST drove past the liquour store, but I came home another way instead. I know if I saw it, I'd have probably stopped. So here I am, back on the Pellegrino/Cranberry and feeling just fine. I am still really, really tired and am probably going to bed soon. Heck with the laundry. It will still be there tomorrow. I think I'll just set the alarm for 6:30am and do it then. Don't have to be on the course till 10:00am.

How is everyone doing? I know I'm not couting, but today is Day 21. Hard to believe how fast time is flying by.

KC
Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Sounds like everyones Sunday is going well.

After church, my daughter and I drove about an hour to do some seriousl shopping for some events she has coming up. Grabbed a Starbucks on the way there, at a great lunch outdoors at a quaint cafe and began our search. We are back home., and hubby has some steaks marinating...yummm..

Wildrover..I missed the post earlier about your son coming home. I know you and your wife must be so proud. Hopefully he will be able to relax soon, and enjoy being home. I am thankful for our soldiers, for young men like your son that fight for our country.

Looking forward to having tomorrow off...yeah!
Old 09-06-2009, 06:40 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Some might disagree with me RubyCanoe, but don't sweat it.
I agree with you 100% KC1. Drinking is dangerous for us but sobriety is about once again growing and living. The less power we give alcohol the less it has. Not sure if that makes sense outside of my head......
Originally Posted by Gofish View Post
This will be my first sober football season! Normally I'd be pissed drunk by now yelling at the TV as if the players could hear me.
I don't understand why they don't listen either. If my team would only listened to me they would win the super bowl every year....Enjoy your sober football season.
Originally Posted by tallcactus View Post
Not doing good, I hate my hubby.
He is away, but we talk daily.
It is always about him.
Now, it is about me and I told him this, so that he knows before coming home.
I want God more in my life and family and I want to B second, not anything else.
It is more important then him.
He does not believe and that is fine, so go, where U may go.
Struggling, but I will not drink, that is all over.
Actually, I feel relieved.... Can anyone relate...
Stay strong everyone, No need to drink over life's problems, we will get thur....
I can relate tallcactus. The desire to drink can be removed quickly when we stop fighting it and allow it to happen. Your letting go any expectations of your husband is great. Releasing what we perceive as something we can control brings a certain amount of peace into our lives. I no longer want to control everything in and around my life, I only want to live it, experience it. You've heard "Let go and let God"? Well how about "Let go or be dragged." because that is what our death grip of control is doing to us. We aren't in control when what we are trying to control robs us of energy that could be used in productive ways, seeing what we can pack into the stream of life instead of what we can take out of it for example. I love hearing your desire to have God in you and your families lives.
Originally Posted by traderjane View Post
I'm very content tonight.
That just made me smile.
Originally Posted by ANEWAUGUST View Post
I found that the only way I could maintain my sobriety was to nourish my spiritual soul. I have been able to reconnect and rediscover my relationship with God.
Me too. :ghug3
Originally Posted by BreakFree View Post
Hey Everyone! Yeah, the more I think about alcohol, the dummer it becomes. I am SO LOVING this new way of looking at life...it's looking very attractive to me right now.
I'm with you on this one BreakFree. Living in the solution instead of the problem is a whole new way of life for me.

It's been another great day to be alive for me. A great week for me actually. 16 days sober today
Old 09-06-2009, 08:00 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anono View Post

midton.. i'm looking forward to checking out the book drunkard.. have you started a thread?

I've started a thread. It's quite a new book, only came out last July, so probably not a lot of people have come across it. I only found it by chance. I'm already re-reading it. If anyone is interested do a search and get a sense of it. The guy is a great writer with a neat sense of humour.

I workout, always have done. I've been going to my gym for just under 2 years and have only spoken to a handful of people and that includes daily greetings. Normally I see myself as quite a friendly guy. In the last week 2 people, whom I'd seen 3 or 4 times a week for these 2 years, spoke to me for the first time and I suspect my sobriety is a big part of the reason.

Both of them complimented my body. Once praised my arms and the other basically said I was less flabby and more toned looking. This naturally made me happy and I believe my physical improvements are down to no alcohol and the junk I eat along with it.

A second, but more important reason, is that I think I might be looking more approachable. I as sure I look less hostile and less angry because I feel less hostile and less angry. My wife too, great wife that she is, was becoming a bit of a nag I felt as recently as 30 days ago. Now I'm 30 days sober I realise that she was a nag because I was a selfish git who probably caused her tons of stress. My stopping drinking has left her more pleasant and happy while her apparent nagging has stopped.

These are good things and I am sure there are more waiting for me.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Apologies, brain's not all working. Yet. Meant to say this this morning, I see its not there.

Wildrover, glad to see your son back safe.

TC, glad to see you've come to see some answers/ understandings about your relationship with your husband. It is freeing in itself...

Man, I have to apologize more sober than I ever did. Strange half-brain of mine.

Oh, and I went to church, came home, played on the computer till I fell asleep.
Woke up and made me some dinner. Very uninteresting day. Hopefully to be offset by tomorrow. What am I now, 9 1/2 days.

Take care y'all.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hi all, i have just ducked home for lunch and thought i'd pop in and say
Old 09-07-2009, 12:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChameleonBoy View Post
"Let go or be dragged."
I totally agree. Despite being Eastern Orthodox I practised Zen meditation for a great number of years which has a lot in common with Orthodox spirituality.

Stress, anger and anxiety arise when we experience life not as it is but how we WANT it to be.

Well done on the 16 days...that is a good distance to put between you and booze!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post
I've started a thread. It's quite a new book, only came out last July, so probably not a lot of people have come across it.
Well done on the 30 days and the toned bod!

I had a look on Amazon and found the above book. My only worry was that for me he may romanticise booze and it might provide a trigger for me.

It hasn't for you. Does he romanticise his boozing days? I'll check your thread too.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:23 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
Stress, anger and anxiety arise when we experience life not as it is but how we WANT it to be.
And I totally agree with this, good insite Shakespeare. When I feel Stress, anger and anxiety it is almost always connected to something I am trying to control. Seeing it and letting it go allows those feelings to be replaced with peace for me.

August 21st = First day of sobriety
August 27th = 47th belly button birthday
August 30th = Baptized at K2 church

August ended pretty good for me. September is feeling pretty nice too. Thanks for giving me a place to ramble.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:56 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChameleonBoy View Post
Seeing it and letting it go allows those feelings to be replaced with peace for me.
The visual we used to use was that of a leaf in a stream or river. Observing it pass by whilst we sat immovable, like a mountain. You do not follow the leaf, just notice it....and let it go.

Wow all those new starts in August...you must be buzzing!
Old 09-07-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
Well done on the 30 days and the toned bod!

I had a look on Amazon and found the above book. My only worry was that for me he may romanticise booze and it might provide a trigger for me.

It hasn't for you. Does he romanticise his boozing days? I'll check your thread too.
No, he doesn't romanticise. He just tells his story. It starts off with a court case and being a writer he kept a journal of his thoughts. He writes about what happened and how he felt at the time, but in an entertaining style. Reading this book wouldn't make you wish to drink. Alcoholism seemed to have crept up on him fast and I wasn't as far gone as he was but I could see myself turning out like him with a few more month of bevy.

He hit a lot of nails on the head with his insights.

PS don't have a toned body yet just a less flabby one
Old 09-07-2009, 03:50 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Now I'm 30 days sober I realise that she was a nag because I was a selfish git who probably caused her tons of stress. My stopping drinking has left her more pleasant and happy while her apparent nagging has stopped.
lol midton...... you probably were

glad to see things are going so well.... and i bet your wife enjoys checking out your toning up bod, rather than flabby one ...

i'm still looking forward to checking out book..
Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Good Morning...

Yesterday, I could have slept the morning away. But, I needed to get up to attend church.

Today, I am off, can sleep the morning away, and here I am up bright and early.

Midton..I too have noticed that I am more approachable sober. I think it is because I am more at ease with myself, I am more relaxed.

Starting back on my workout routine today. I have slacked up a bit between becoming sober, and not feeling well. But, now I am ready to be back on track. Excercise also releases those endrophins, so, I feel good naturally.

Well...off to work out...
Old 09-07-2009, 04:48 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Midton View Post

He hit a lot of nails on the head with his insights.

Just ordered it from the States ('twas the cheapest for the HB edition).
Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
KC1

Good Morning! A cloudy and somewhat windy day here today. Not good for my golf game. Oh well. The good thing is I woke up with no hangover (again). It sure is a good feeling. It is all about choices. I can choose to wake up feeling great or I can choose to wake up feeling like crap. The power of the addiction is overwhelming to me sometimes. I just can't believe I would even drink a sip, knowing full well that I won't stop till I have finished the bottle, knowing full well that I will feel sooooo bad in the morning, I would hardly be able to function. Yet I have done that. So many times. My husband called me last night (he is out of town till tonight) and said he is so proud of me and the way I have not been drinking. We are both headed away next weekend for a few days with a group of "drinking" friends. Right now I am thinking it's not goinig to be so hard. Watching them all get trashed and feeling so bad they can't function the next day. Yeah, sure makes me want to join them. :-) OK - off to the golf course for the Club Championship. Let's hope I come back here this afternoon with a decent showing. Would be nice to win, but I'm hoping just for a nice finish with my best score yet. A great day to everyone!

KC
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

KC...wishing you the best of luck today!!!

Just finished my kick-boxing work out....ugghh...getting old is brutal at times..

It does feel good though to work up a sweat!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hello to all,
Well it has been overcast but pleasant. spent some time with my son before he left to go to Norfolk. Sure is great to have him home.

I have a fifth wheel trailer which is parked at my buddy's marina. I love to go there and relax and watch the boats and birds. I did this again today and feel asleep sitting in the recliner. Wow, what a pleasant nap.

I came home and have been busy trying to determine exactly what tow vehicle I want for my new trailer. It is really more confusing the more that I read.

I fixed supper and my buddy and my wife are drinking wine and sherry, I am drinking water. I really don't miss it.

Hope you are all doing well and being good to yourself. You really are worth the effort to enjoy life.

wildrover.