Notices

August Sbriety Group-Part 3

Old 09-07-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

OK, so no way I am going to get caught up from all I missed this long weekend. I just got home from the long weekend at the cabin and I slept.... ALOT! I took like 2 naps a day and slept all night. Man I love this. I am leaving tomorrow for a 2 day road trip so I wont be on for a while. Hope you all are well! Hugs.

Brent
Old 09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm exhausted. Have been working all weekend on this school project for my kids' school. It's done and off to the printer. I could not be more relieved. Now that job is over

I knew it would be a quiet weekend on here with the holiday weekend in the US.

I haven't had time to think about alcohol -- have just been too busy, which is a good thing.

I have tried to quit alcohol many times, but this time it feels different to me. I feel more at peace with the decision instead of at odds with it. It's like I have come to realize that alcohol just isn't doing for me what it used to, and in fact, my body can't tolerate it anymore. It's a little bit different than before where I wanted to continue drinking but felt I could not. I hope to get to the point where I don't even want to drink. Maybe I'm already there. It takes a little re-training the brain. I'm definitely happier when I don't drink and more at peace with my life and the world (as Chameloen Boy pointed out). Alcohol makes me depressed and crazy in addition to not allowing me to sleep. I have four new days of sobriety and it has not been at all difficult. I hope that's a good sign.

Well, off to get caught up on things....take care everyone!

Laura
Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Meow

Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Some might disagree with me RubyCanoe, but don't sweat it. You are trying hard. A single Margarita is better than 12 Margaritas. It has taken me 3 years of trying so you will get there. I hope it does not take as long for you as it did me, nor as many embarassaments as it did me, but you will get there.

For those following my golfing adventures, today I scored 10 strokes LESS than yesterday!!! Whoooo Hooo. I am in contention for the Club Championship on Monday. I am exhausted. Usually I walk 9 holes and ride the back 9, but today I was so tired I rode the entire 18. I think my extreme fatigue has to do with not drinking. I slept about 12 hours last night and probably could have slept a few more if it were not for the practice round this morning. I love golf!!!!

So that said, another way to keep me sober -- I signed up to play in the State Championship Team matches over the next 4 weeks. Trust me, I am nowhere near Amatuer status, but the fact that I have a competitive goal to keep me on the straight and narrow helps. Can't let the team down.

Congrats to everyone in the August class who has made it thus far. Tomorrow will be Day 21 for me and Gofish, but I have decided to stop counting. Can't keep track anyway. Just one day at a time is enough for me. Golf Season officially ends at my Club on 10/20. Hopefully I can play a few weeks beyond that. I will miss it!!! am a golf addict!!!

KC
I am totally loving this! I hope you rock the course.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
KC1

Whooooooo Hooooooooo !!!!! Set a Club Record today. I WON! I WON! I WON!. Whoo! Hoo! Everyone was getting plastered after the event, but not me. I am home, now feeling refreshed and ready to go to work tomorrow. Set a course record!!! Won the tournament. Best score ever....ever!!!!!!!!

Whooooo Hooooo. Don't know what else to say..................

KC
Old 09-07-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Meow

Wheee!!!!!! Congrats! :-)
Old 09-07-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
KC1

!!!!

Hey folks!

Whoo Hoo..won the golf tourney. But.............

I do have to say... I am a bit worried about my golf partner. He was PLASTERED. And I mean plastered. I had "a few drinks with him" after the golf event (and I mean my non alcoholic stuff) and then we met for dinner. He was well on his way to La La Land. I was SOOOOO good. Had my club soda and lime. Did not drink. Did not want to. Totally enjoyed my pasta dinner. He could hardly hold his head up. I told him to come home with me (about a 1/2 mile) and he refused. Called my husband and he said we could not FORCE him to come to our home. Tried to take his keys and he threw them to the bartender. When I saw the bartneder take them, I went home. Not sure what the hell happened after that. I have been trying to call him every since and I get no answer. I am so worried. But another lesson learned......how many nights has someone else been worried about me and where I have been.

I just feel so responsible. What if he got a DUI. Is it my fault? I think not, but I am feeling so guilty...........Gosh Darn. So glad I am home and SAFE and sober!
Old 09-07-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

KC1 Whooooooo Hooooooooo !!!!! Set a Club Record today. I WON! I WON! I WON!.

Let's see, that would be your second "victory" this month, right?
Old 09-07-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

KC -- congrats on your win today!!! That must feel great. You sound really happy.

I think about your partner, you did only what you could do. When you saw him give his keys to the bartender, I doubt they will let him drive home. They'll call him a cab, right? You must feel so good to be sober at this point.

I worked really hard for 3 days straight on the school directory. I finished it tonight at 7:00 pm and it was literally all I did all weekend. The old me would have gone out and bought some champagne or wine to "celebrate" my job being done and all the hard work I put in. But the new me said: "Why would I want to punish myself like that?" Progress, progress. Is it possible that we can learn from our mistakes instead of actually making them over and over again ad nauseum??? The optimist in me thinks yes, it is possible.

Good night!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

KC...way to go..a course record...

Traderjane..isn't it a wonderful feeling of relief to have a project completed, congrats to you.

I hope everyone has had a nice weekend.

In the past a three day weekend would have been a three day alcohol blur. I had a nice, relaxing weekend, and I will begin the work week well rested. What a nice feeling.

Wishing everyone a rest filled night.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey y'all.

Bdiddy, safe trip.

Traderjane, feels good huh, getting stuff done and out of the way. Four days is good, feeling good is just fine IMHO, 'cause it's more likely to lead to a little bit longer. In my quitting experience, which isn't much, but most of that is four days.

Anewaugust, yeah I always (want to) sleep at the wrong times too. Sometimes I do... :yikes

Then its time for more sober-time apologies... I ain't never had to apologize so much in my life.

Hello everybody else. Hope y'all're doing well. I'm just here cause somebody asked one day, about the rock climbing. The lady I called yesterday, I asked her if they were open Monday, she told me "we're open seven days a week." Apparently today doesn't count as a Monday--or possibly even a day. Got there and it was closed. I could see it if I called last week, say. But the day before? Anyways, next door was a whole strip mall of big boxes though, I went to the craft store, the dress store and the grocery, managed to spend about 400 and am pretty much set for a while. Did not buy any liquor, though I almost did on autopilot.

So now I got 10.5 days, 1/2 short of last time. Well, a few times ago, but still.

And I was feeling real good, but now I'm really feeling down-er by the half hour. Made a really nice dinner, which had the side effect of annoying my roommates who were out there and not gonna say anything, I got a very large knife in my hand, cutting to the beat of my ipod... Ignoring them with a smile in my heart.

Anyways, hi everybody else. Be good.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 30. Tuesday morning. Sipping tea and checking in.

The weekend was a bit of a non-event and so was Monday really. I have been in a bit of a sober malaise. The euphoria of sobriety has definately worn off.

I did some reading around the subject and it re-iterated what I have heard before on here that to a certain extent not drinking is the 'easy' bit. I've done that, proved that, I have got the minor withdrawal out of the way.

The 'hard' bit is the dealing with what was always there before I drank. MY LIFE. The novelty of no hangovers, deep sleeps and losing weight has worn off. Now what? And its a big WHAT.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the get a hobby route and do more housework advice. This is not going to solve the problem of why we drank. It's just going to postpone dealing with things and is great in the early days to keep us occupied and put a good distance between us and the demon drink.

But we cannot spend the rest of our lives 'busy' to avoid things.

Even the most busy person in the world and some of us seem to be doing a great job of that at the moment are going to have five minutes in the day when they slump in a chair and are 'not' busy. Then what? Get busy again?

The thing is I do not have an answer to this so early on. All I know is that presently, and I pray for ever, I will be done with booze. I still feel as if I am in a bubble, on the outside of life looking in. I do not know if that is an alcoholic thing or just a ME thing.

That observing thing was interesting when I drank because I would observe being in an event e.g. being with my parents, but inside thinking....'mmmmm I will pop into the shop on the way home and get some wine.'

This would lighten my mood. Give me something to look forward to. Now I sit with my parents and that is all that there is. This is it. When I get home. This is it. When I wake up in the morning ...this is it!

As I have said above....I do not know where 'this is it' is going to lead. It is still early days for me. I am hoping that my alcohol soaked brain is just healing itself and will be for some time and one day I will wake up and shout 'BINGO'! So that's what this is!'

I don't know if any of the above makes sense or people can relate but I felt I had to get it off my chest.Hah!

Well done on all my stateside chums on getting thru the weekend!
Old 09-08-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

have tried to quit alcohol many times, but this time it feels different to me. I feel more at peace with the decision instead of at odds with it. It's like I have come to realize that alcohol just isn't doing for me what it used to, and in fact, my body can't tolerate it anymore. It's a little bit different than before where I wanted to continue drinking but felt I could not. I hope to get to the point where I don't even want to drink. Maybe I'm already there. It takes a little re-training the brain. I'm definitely happier when I don't drink and more at peace with my life and the world (as Chameloen Boy pointed out). Alcohol makes me depressed and crazy in addition to not allowing me to sleep. I have four new days of sobriety and it has not been at all difficult. I hope that's a good sign.
TJ this could be me... word for word.... though i am not thinking about drinking constantly anymore.. it is there, niggling.... i need to keep reminding myself how awful i felt, how hard everything seemed to be....

KC CONGRATS!!!! THATS FANTASTIC! well done,

tb... that rock climbing will come off eventually !! good you didnt go , oh well and go have a drink!

wildrover... great your getting to spend time with your son..

shakespeare.... this is a good place to vent! hopefully your brain is just doing a little dip.... i got to admit, i try not to think about the future too much... i guess there will come a time for me when i realise that i cant 'be busy' all the time. i know i am starting to feel very worn out with all this yoga, gym, and stuff and dont know how much longer i can do it, but scared to stop as i do these things in my 'drinking time'

have a good trip brent and hi to newaugust

Old 09-08-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Shakespeare

I am just finishing up day 31 and I feel exactly the same way you do. The buzz of being sober has worn off and while I don't have the same intensity of cravings I catch myself looking forward to the special occasion when I'll let myself have a drink again, just a little like (yeah right).

I found myself today on the internet doing searches like "Am I an alcoholic" and "Can I drink one bottle of wine a day"?. I even found an article in The Times, I think, that said that the daily advisable alcohol limits were not scientific but just a guess and that one bottle of wine a day may not do much damage. I almost rushed out to get a bottle but I had work.

I am at the stage I've read about so often where after a period of sobriety I don't feel there is much wrong with me. I have already forgotton the sheer horror of waking up embarassed, anxious and depressed. I'll make it through the week but Saturday night I can sense is going to be really dangerous for me.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shakespeare View Post
The 'hard' bit is the dealing with what was always there before I drank. MY LIFE. The novelty of no hangovers, deep sleeps and losing weight has worn off. Now what? And its a big WHAT.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know about the get a hobby route and do more housework advice. This is not going to solve the problem of why we drank. It's just going to postpone dealing with things and is great in the early days to keep us occupied and put a good distance between us and the demon drink.
I enjoy reading what you have to say. Yes there has to be something going inside a person for them to knowingly ingest poison to the extent that it kills brain cells, numbs emotions and alters moods thoughts and behaviors....and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously there is something more going on then just alcohol. The alcohol does become a problem itself but if that was all there was to it then we would just stop. No need to come here or anywhere for help and support. Once the problem of alcohol is removed we do have to get down to what is really going on inside us that would make such personal self destruction acceptable. If we don't I am convinced we will drink again.

Just stopped in to post a picture of a spot by the river I went to last Friday.

I could have stayed there all day. I may go back and do just that later this week.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

would be nice if we could do that wouldnt it midton.... i'd love it, just a glass or 2 on special occasions.

i just finished talking to a friend who was sober 2 months.. then came her birthday, just one she thought, and that day she did have just one....

now 2 months later she is embarrassed about the 'mess' she made of herself at the races...
Old 09-08-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

looks a great place to hang out for the day... chameleonboy
Old 09-08-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hey Midton, you are probably wrapped up in bed by now.

I have been to the place you are now last time out. Made 8 weeks. After that period I decided I was never a 'real' alcoholic in the first place and that all this self-imposed sobriety was really rather silly...and being a competitive person is the only real reason I lasted so long...because I am a winner, strong, decide my own destiny.

I remember the drink too. I had just been to the Orthodox Liturgy and a fellow worshipper suggested a quaint hostelry around the corner for a civilized pint. I thought, 'what the hell, damn it, I'm an Orthodox christian we celebrate life, life is about wine and song and God, sod this sobriety...yes I'm up for a pint!'

That first pint was delicious! Not the foul tasting toxic mix that people talk about once sober. I would have had another but that we were both driving. I felt good! 'Hey I feel so good I'm going to get three bottles of wine on the way home....let's party!'

I had a bloody fantastic Sunday. The best! TV looked better, Music sounded better. Food tasted better. Isn't life wonderful!!!

Problem was: back to square one. Expensive booze. Putting weight on. Thinking about drink a lot of the time. Un-productive hungover days. God knows what internal cellular damage.

The above Sunday would have been great if I only do those once in a while. But I can't do them once in a while...when they feel that good I want to do it EVERY Sunday!! 'Hell...why not do them mid-week too if they feel that good'.

BTW I tried the 'one bottle of wine a day' thing. That didn't work for two reasons. First, it didn't actually provide enough alcohol to deliver that lovely pished feeling (as alcoholics have great tolerance to booze). Second, because of the above, one bottle always left me drinking the last glass from the bottle as if it was the elixier of life itself and when it was gone....so was my good mood!!! In fact, I used to literally feel like throwing the glass at the wall and curse the fact I had only bought one bottle!

And you see....I am sick of all of this game playing. I'm done with it. Alcohol can go and do one...I've had enough.... (for now...I'm not infallible).

Keep in there Midton and watch for those AV lies.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Morning, everyone. It's 7:30 here on the east coast.

Shakespeare, I can relate to what you are saying. I think it takes brain re-training to be comfortable all the time sober. I'm not saying I'm there yet, but hope to be getting there. I'm dealing with my problems on the inside, why I drank, with therapy. It is going well.

I don't really have any euphoria anymore -- just life right now. And I like it. I like not having to worry about the alcohol problem anymore. And there's no getting around it. It WAS a problem.

The last time I drank it was really awful (did not even enjoy it!) that it left such an impression on me. Maybe that was what I needed personally in this journey.

Midton -- funny, that was all I ever drank, even at my worst (one bottle of wine at a time). But it would leave me seriously ill. And drunk. And hungover the next day until 2:00 pm or later. Maybe it's because of my size, but I read that and thought ... oh man!! That's a lot of alcohol.

Best to everyone on this Tuesday.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good Morning classmates, 2 all of U.
Just got home last night from Phoenix, spend a few days with a friend. She doesn't drink, but likes to indulge in a little weed, but it really doesn't bother me. The traffic was really bad on the 2 hour trip home. Saw an accident on the way and said a prayer. The weather is so much better, not as hot as in the previous months, cooling down, it's only going 2 B in the 90's today, which I can handle.
Check in: still sober, 39 days, but I think I will not count till I reach 90. I agree with Shakespeare on this counting.
Will B back later, want to hop in the shower and catch an AA meeting.
Stay strong everyone.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:20 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by traderjane View Post

I have tried to quit alcohol many times, but this time it feels different to me. I feel more at peace with the decision instead of at odds with it. It's like I have come to realize that alcohol just isn't doing for me what it used to, and in fact, my body can't tolerate it anymore. It's a little bit different than before where I wanted to continue drinking but felt I could not. I hope to get to the point where I don't even want to drink. Maybe I'm already there. It takes a little re-training the brain. I'm definitely happier when I don't drink and more at peace with my life and the world (as Chameloen Boy pointed out). Alcohol makes me depressed and crazy in addition to not allowing me to sleep. I have four new days of sobriety and it has not been at all difficult. I hope that's a good sign.

Laura

Laura, I couldn't agree with you more. Lately I have not had the cravings- but they do come and go. I have 35 days today and I can't believe I made it though the holiday weekend. I would have gotten blotto all three days if I was still drinking.

I am like you and I don't think my body can tolerate it either. I worked out on the elliptical this weekend and it is amazing how much more energy I have sober! It feels great and I am at peace also.

Best wishes for your continued sobriety! You are doing great!