# 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

August Sobriety Group Part 2

The last part:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-group-21.html
Old 08-21-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please take notice! :)

Our new thread is located in the Newcomer's Daily Support Forum, not in Newcomers to Recovery!

514 posts and 5,192 views! That's AMAZING! Way to go everyone!

:ghug2
Old 08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Look how cool we are to have a 2nd thread now!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Who is riding the sunshine, can I get a ticket?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A big, warm and belated WELCOME to (((rubycanoe)))!

Hello and welcome (((sickofthewaste)))!
Originally Posted by sickofthewaste View Post
Who is riding the sunshine, can I get a ticket?
You bet you can! There are 36 of us riding the sunshine, hop on and hold on tight!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Okay man but it's dark this of the globe can I ride the moon instead?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Melissa,

Just wanted to tell you a story. I noticed that you're a HUGE Dave fan. I went to a Dave concert in Nashville with my gf (she's also a HUGE fan). I ended up getting sooo plastered that I don't even remember it. What a shame, right? That's not the worst of it. During the concert (so I'm told) I went down to get more beers. Apparently I picked up a chick and brought her back to where we were sitting. The gf was SUPER pissed. I don't remember any of this.

Alcohol turns me into an idiot! And I missed a great concert!

Anyways, there's your laugh for today. I'm so glad to be free from this demon. Five days and counting...
Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well I see we finally graduated, eh?

DAY 10 for me.
Yesterday was difficult. My 4yo is downstate with the in laws, and hubby hadn't arrived home from his work trip yet. It rained. ALL DAY. I really had to battle the cravings yesterday. They just slammed me from out of nowhere. I could actually taste how good a rum and coke would be...Conditioned response perhaps, as I was bored, and did not have the responsibility of taking care of/keeping my 4yo busy.

I went fishing instead. This is significant, as I have not been fishing (I live on a river, and can fish from my back yard) SOBER in over 4 years. I am a fishaholic . Nothing I'd rather do...Except drink--but these two things can be done together. In the past I would always be heavily fortified while down at the dock fishing. To be honest, I am surprised that I never fell in!
Yesterday the rain let up a bit and I grabbed my rods and went down to the dock. It was strange, as while walking down there I felt like I was missing something--crawlers: check, rods: check, spare rigs: check...I had extra arm space. Then I realized with a chuckle that I did not have my usual GIANT 64 oz carry mug with me!

For the first time in a long long time I was actually keenly aware of my surroundings. It was beautiful. The sights, the sounds, all took on a different much clearer aspect. The blue heron that flew by almost close enough for me to touch, the family of ducks, the wind in the trees, and the muted traffic sounds all seemed almost surreal to me. It was beautiful.
I got back to the place I think I was so many years ago. The place where I fell in love with fishing for fishing, not the immense buzz I could gain while fishing...Something for me to think about this weekend.

I got 9 (count 'em 9!) hours of sleep last night! That has to be a (sober) record! It really does come back!

It is raining cats and dogs here today for the second day in a row. Looks like our week of summer weather has ended.

Bdiddy,
Did you actually enjoy those two beers? As I said to BF earlier, I cannot fathom just having two of any alcoholic beverage (and enjoying it!). Did those beers not make you want more? If not, you are a stronger (or perhaps just different) person than I am. Good job on only having two, but I think I am with BF on this one. From everything I've ever heard moderation usually does not work out well. Because what alcoholic truly only wants two? I think eventually that two may creep up on you. Just an opinion though, and respectfully put forward. As I said, you may be very different from me!

I'd like to extend a big WELCOME to the newcomers, this is a great place to be.

Take care my August friends. I may check in later, but will be away all weekend up at the cabin. Stay strong!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sickofthewaste View Post
Okay man but it's dark this of the globe can I ride the moon instead?
Whatever it takes, baby! Just hop on! ;) They are both beautiful, especially with our August friends along for the ride! I know we a have a few Auggies riding the moon right now :)

Oh Gofish! That's terrible! :O I posted the youtube video for the song "Break Free" on my July 2008 class thread last year. I don't think we had any Dave fans there so I'm thinking it was a painful post for them! LOL I find with Dave, you either love him or hate him (and I say that referring soley to his music...who could hate such an amazing, compassionate man!)...Unfortunately, my husband is a heavy metal head so he doesn't care for DMB. He always came along for the parties though. There was always lots of partying going on when we followed Dave around. Lots and lots of food and drink...and even if you didn't smoke weed, which I didn't/don't, you'd leave the show "high" because there was so much in the air. I haven't been to a show in a long time...having the kids definitely slowed us down!

(((sphalerite)))...I echo my words from yesterday...I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! I am shouting from the rooftops! I am so rooting for you this weekend! Please stay strong! NO DRINKS...PERIOD. Not even ONE! Right? You can do it! :) :) :)

I have made a list of things to do today that will help me MOVE FORWARD and so I've got to run in order to stay ON SCHEDULE! So much going on of late...the life and times of a crazy woman!

Have a great afternoon everyone! :)
Old 08-21-2009, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

O good. I thought the place where I go for mumbling was gone. Didn't even look, and I ran away. I don't think I'm learning much lately.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LOL, BF. Thank you for the vote of confidence! One thing I can tell you for sure is that I will NOT have ONE!
It will either be NONE or ALL, until the liquor is gone.

BUT, I am planning to do a lot of fishing. In times past the fishing went by the wayside in lieu of drinking. The type of fishing I will be doing is not the same as I do at home (relaxed in a chair on my dock), it is hiking through the woods to the river, battling with the thick thick brush along the river banks, fighting the insane HORDES of mosquitoes, and looking for a likely opening, small though it may be, where I can get a line into the water, and hopefully into a pool where a hungry trout awaits!

Not for everyone I guess, but might just turn out to be paradise for me.

Enjoy your day BF, and have a great weekend!
Old 08-21-2009, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sphal, that sounds like a great weekend.

Well, I took a shower, washed the dishes, swept up a little bit and am totally exhausted, so now I'm going rest some. But I feel better already, and hopefully by tonight/tomorrow I can make up a lot of the stuff I should have done by now.

I really hope the last time was the last time. I can't keep this up.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Right on Bubba you can do it !

I love fishing too..not able to go this weekend though.

Day 5 here and FINALLY back to somewhat 'normal'

Went to a AA meeting last night, it was most helpful.

Have a list of the meetings around here and plan to attend a couple this weekend.

I also plan to take a hike through a local wildlife (bird) sanctuary and do some photography.

I have 2 large bottles of San Pellegrino chilling for this evening, along with some fresh limes. Looking forward to it.

My local grocery store has the SP on sale this week, lucky me!
So I just might make a late night run out for more later on!

Hope everybody here stays strong and enjoys a wonderful sober weekend...

Cheers!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi folks wondered where you all were! just like to echo what richard has said; day 5 for me too, i am just finishing my second and last bottle of non alco pear cider, tried to get limes, but they had none, will get some tomorrow though, i think they will give the pear a tastebud tingle. Have a good weekend folks, will "see" you all over the weekend.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
KC1

Hey Richard54 -- I am drinking the Pellegrino with Lime as I write this. Try adding a splash of cranberry juice. It really tastes good. If you have a Costco or a BJ's Wholesale there in Canada, they have a CASE of quart size bottles of Pellegrino for only $7.99/case.
Well, I am almost through Day Five and the Friday night cocktail hour is getting to me a little bit but I keep thinking of how good I'll feel in the morning with no hangover. I keep thinking of that and it is making me NOT want to drink ... my husband and I are getting ready to go out to dinner.... may just go to a pizza place that serves no alcohol so there is no temptation. Of course, I could just get a non-alcoholic beer like I did last night if I really want to "drink". Back later, I'm sure.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, first, congratulations to all the day 10s and 5s and h-, anythings. San Pellegrino must have some I forgot when I stopped drinking, but I figure it's around 24h. Gonna count from midnight, though, so I got about 2/3 of a day.

I didn't get any rest, as soon as I laid down the school people came in to tell me they're doing work, so I'm not only awake I'm in the kitchen with the door open. Waiting. I made some spaghetti for 'breakfast.' It's hard to eat, but good for me, washed down with some juice.

I got eleven DTV channels in English, 3 that come through clear enough to watch without wanting to discharge a firearm. One is volleyball and one is trying to sell me something. The other one--I think--is the live action version of that Brazilian kids' show from the Simpsons. All networks have disappeared, except for PBS which is politely showing me a graphic telling me there's nothing on. At least those're quieter now than back in the 80s. Got 6 in Spanish, 2 are the same informercial, 16 in Asian/ European languages I don't know, and it looks like a lot of those are trying to sell me something too.

The point of TV, then is what? Oh, well, along with quitting drinking, that oughtta save me money now that I never have to buy another one.

Man, I'm bored and I got a weekend to come back to reality/ ?. I got a reprieve, school doesn't start next week like I had thought.

Although I suppose I shouldn't be feeling irritated, because it's my own fault I'm tired and want to sleep.

Well, y'all keep on doing positive things & telling me about them, because I don't have a TV and I can't do those things myself, so it gives me something to follow until I can focus on books again. 'Preciate it, I do.

Much love.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ugh! My first weekend sober. All I want is a beer -- a big one. Good thing I'm on the antabuse!

Thirty, I have over 200 channels and there's nothing on here, either!

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

I am with you guys......roomie broke all our plans and took off for a boating/drinking trip..........what to do..what to do................................................ .................................................. .................................................. .......................................... :wtf2:
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KC1

You will all find something to do! Watch the Food Network. I hate to cook and am always amazed at how much trouble some people go to for a sandwhich!

Hubby and I went to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner. I was the designated driver (for a change) so I had an O'Douls (not as good as the St. Paulie Non-Alcohol) and he had a Sangria. Suprisingly, I did just fine. He kept asking me why I wasn't drinking and I said that I felt too darned good the past few mornings to ruin it by drinking. So I just fixed myself another Pellegrino/Lime/Cranberry and we are settling in to watch a move. On to Day Six.....whooo hoo!!!!

KC
Old 08-21-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
perpetual optimist

wtg KC........can I watch the movie with you?

LOL...