# 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

morning all

Hope everyones Saturday was a good 'un

D
Old 09-05-2009, 02:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hello gang,
Well yesterday was very emotional. Our son came home from Afghanistan after his one year tour. There was a group called Operation Homecoming that really did it up right. They meet every plane load of returning soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan. Very impressive and very emotional for all the families. I can't tell you the relief that his mother and I have knowing he is home for good.

On Thursday night, I attended an AA meeting and picked up my 30 day chip. It was a great feeling and the whole group was very supportive. 34 days today, 5 weeks tomorrow.

My Dad is hanging in there and is taking this better than any of the family. I plan to go back up in 2 weeks.

To everyone, it really seems like everyone is having more sucesses. This is awesome. You guys and gals are what makes it easier. Everyone hang in there and enjoy another sober weekend. What a great thought.

Be good to yourself and those you love. You are worth it....

wildrover
Old 09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

good morning all.. a quick check in before i head to work ha not too bad really..

though if i had known how much extra money i had in my purse on payday i might have not said yes to extra shift !! lol... i cant remember the last time i still had money left over, those bottles of wine sure add up !

hope you are all enjoying your weekend,, wherever you are...

cheers all

day 11 !
Old 09-05-2009, 04:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

sorry

I scwewed up! I drove my sister back to the bar to get her car as she didn't drive home last night, thankfully. But we decided to have lunch and I caved in and had a margarita. Then I bought some beer to bring home. So I still want to stop so I am going to try for 9-09-09 to be my new sobriety date! So sorry guys, I flunked out of August. But I still made in 9 days, the longest I had in a really long time. Thanks so much for all your support and I hope you all continue on with your sobriety!

Old 09-05-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rubycanoe View Post
So I still want to stop so I am going to try for 9-09-09 to be my new sobriety date!

That's a cool date. A date that would be worth protecting all the more.

Talcactus, as for Tokyo it's great. It has nice really decent weather, great shopping/restaurants, superb public transportation and well-dressed generally polite people. Above all it's very safe, though they are overdue a big earthquake.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

We've all had multiple goes at this - I hope you do manage to get back on track Ruby - the sooner the easier....why wait til 9-9 ?

D
Old 09-05-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
KC1

Some might disagree with me RubyCanoe, but don't sweat it. You are trying hard. A single Margarita is better than 12 Margaritas. It has taken me 3 years of trying so you will get there. I hope it does not take as long for you as it did me, nor as many embarassaments as it did me, but you will get there.

For those following my golfing adventures, today I scored 10 strokes LESS than yesterday!!! Whoooo Hooo. I am in contention for the Club Championship on Monday. I am exhausted. Usually I walk 9 holes and ride the back 9, but today I was so tired I rode the entire 18. I think my extreme fatigue has to do with not drinking. I slept about 12 hours last night and probably could have slept a few more if it were not for the practice round this morning. I love golf!!!!

So that said, another way to keep me sober -- I signed up to play in the State Championship Team matches over the next 4 weeks. Trust me, I am nowhere near Amatuer status, but the fact that I have a competitive goal to keep me on the straight and narrow helps. Can't let the team down.

Congrats to everyone in the August class who has made it thus far. Tomorrow will be Day 21 for me and Gofish, but I have decided to stop counting. Can't keep track anyway. Just one day at a time is enough for me. Golf Season officially ends at my Club on 10/20. Hopefully I can play a few weeks beyond that. I will miss it!!! am a golf addict!!!

KC
Old 09-05-2009, 04:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hey gang! I'm back and still going strong. Just trying to stay busy. Tried to play golf today, but got rained out. Been watching football all day. This will be my first sober football season! Normally I'd be pissed drunk by now yelling at the TV as if the players could hear me.

Feeling a lot better about the breakup. I've realized that I'm better off. She was so mean to me -- the most selfish person I've ever known. I do miss her daughter a ton, though.

Well, I'm off to play board games with my sober friends. I hope that all of you are doing great. I'll try to post more later.

Jason
Old 09-05-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
KC1

Gofish - why don't we come up with an "online contest" for 9 holes. Would work for me. Play against the course? 1/2 point for each stroke that meets the course?

I am going to bed now. I signed up for an NFL "suicide" pool for $100. Very complicated but if I win, I win big. $60k is the top prize. Not sure what the hell I am doing, but anyting is better thank drinking, right?

KC
Old 09-05-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Not doing good, I hate my hubby.
He is away, but we talk daily.
It is always about him.
Now, it is about me and I told him this, so that he knows before coming home.
I want God more in my life and family and I want to B second, not anything else.
It is more important then him.
He does not believe and that is fine, so go, where U may go.
Struggling, but I will not drink, that is all over.
Actually, I feel relieved.... Can anyone relate...
Stay strong everyone, No need to drink over life's problems, we will get thur....

Last edited by tallcactus; 09-05-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: Damm spelling or typing tom quit...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
hypercube

ANGELINA, good on you, girl. You did a great job last night. I love kitties, too. I have a rather fat tabby cat called Beezle. He looks a bit like a wombat.

thirtybubba, let me know how the rock climbing goes! It's something I'd love to do when I'm feeling better. I completely understand wanting the adrenalin and endorphin high of doing something satisfyingly physical.

Shakespeare, if you're worried about Christmas, I would start to think about a sobriety plan i.e. how you can enjoy Christmas without drinking. Do it in little chunks to avoid being overwhelmed. That's what works for me, anyway. Did you enjoy Christmas as a child? You were sober then.

ANEWAUGUST
, sounds like you're really starting to nourish and care for your body. Got any nutrition tips?

Zebra1275, I love getting fit. Hope you and your daughter have a great run.

Midton
, Prada, darling. I can relate to the binge shopping. You didn't drink, and that's the important thing.

BreakFree, I was thinking about how your back would survive those carnival rides. Hope you're feeling a bit better today. The last thing you need on vacation is the flu!

tallcactus, the stir-fry sounds yummy. Do you have any pictures of your puppies?

anono, thanks for your congrats. You're in double digits now, so congrats to you too.

Beckles, blobbing can be extraordinarily satisfying, despite the glitter.

groggles55, the micro cabin sounds interesting. I hope you enjoy the building process.

traderjane, well done on getting the big work project out of the way. I hope you have some time this weekend to treat yourself to something relaxing (massage, movie, etc).

bananagrrrl, 32 days is brilliant, I hope you're feeling very proud.

rubycanoe, OK, so you slipped, you now have the opportunity to pick up where you left off armed with more knowledge than last time. Is there anything you can pinpoint that caused you to order the margarita? Were you thinking about it before hand? Do you usually drink with your sister? Hope your allergies are better.

ChameleonBoy
, I'd love to see a pic of the mountains. I think you're right, alcohol is a buffer to true intimacy.

Dee74, hope you're enjoying your Sunday!

wildrover080209, it's wonderful that your son is back home with you. He also has the chance to see his grandfather. Five weeks is a massive achievement, congratulations!

KC1, way to go on the golf. Best of luck with the State Championships.

Gofish, from what you've written, it sounds like you realise you're better off not being in a relationship with someone who didn't treat you well. It's always better to be single than settle for someone who doesn't respect you.

Now I'm going back to bed, my flu is still hanging around. I saw the movie Young Victoria last night and the costumes were incredible even though the narrative was a bit sappy. I'm hanging out to get my geek on and see District 9. Take care everyone.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
hypercube

I'm so sorry, TC. No matter what happens with your husband, please put yourself first. ***big warm hugs***
Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Evening everyone (that is it's evening here!)

Glad to hear that everyone is hanging in pretty well and that Dee has become an honorary member of our group. We need you, Dee!

Rubycanoe, I understand about the caving in. It is so hard. I would count it as a learning experience -- If you can learn something about it and what you might do differently next time, then it's not a wasted experience. I agree with Dee. Why wait until 9.9.09? My new sobriety date is 9.4.09 and it has allowed me to have a great weekend. (Totally off topic: my puppy was born on 8.8.08 in a litter of 8 puppies! How cute is that?)

Breakfree --- have a wonderful trip with your family. Be careful with your back. It is so easy to re-injure yourself. Try to stay away from roller coasters and crazy merry go rounds with horses that rock. I have never heard of that!

KC -- you are a maniac on the golf course! Nice going! I have a set of clubs that is collecting dust here. I tried playing about 10 years ago and got too frustrated. I'll stick with tennis. I'm playing doubles with some work friends on Tuesday night after work -- can't wait!

It's just me and my puppy home tonight -- the kids are with their Dad, the au pair went to her friend's house. In the not so recent past, I would have seen this as a great opportunity to go pick up a bottle of wine and get hammered at home. I'm getting smarter. I now realize that I was not being smart or sneaky and that the joke was really on me. I was the one who suffered the bad night's sleep, the vomiting, the feeling like crap the next morning, the guilt, the stess, the depression. I'm not even tempted tonight. In fact, I'm tempted to go out and buy a new flavor of ice cream because I'm not thrilled about the ones we have in the freezer. (Oh well, I stick with vanilla....)

So I've got a little work to finish up then plan to relax with a movie and hang out with my puppy. I'm very content tonight.

Later, all.

Laura
Old 09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Tallcactus -- big hugs. So sorry. Hang in there. We are here for you.

Box -- feel better. The flu already? Yikes, it's starting early this year. Nice post you had recognizing everyone!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Evening Everyone..

Zebra..a 10k wow, impressive...glad you didn't die, didn't walk, and most importantly looked cool doing it.

Tallcactus..sorry your hubby isn't providing the support you are needing right now. When I became sober six years ago., I found that the only way I could maintain my sobriety was to nourish my spiritual soul. I have been able to reconnect and rediscover my relationship with God. I think your decision to have more of God in your life is wonderful.

GoFish..I am watching two college football games right now..what a change to be watching them sober. I even had enough energy to run an errand or two during half time.

KC..you are rocking the golf course., way to go.

Box..I have always been into health, fitness and nutrition. I am reading Seven Weeks to Sobriety right now. It addresses alot of what our bodies are missing after drinking for so long. Lots of good info.

Shakespeare..sorry you are feeling blue. I know all too well what you are talking about with your friend the wine bottle. Even though I have a family, and am rarely completely alone, I would welcome and relish those times when my friend alcohol and I would spend that time together. As great as I might have thought those times were, truth to tell, I ended up feeling like crap the next day...and so the cycle would go. I am glad to have broken that cycle.

Bubba...how was the rock climbing?

Chameleonboy..I hope you can post your picture...from what you describe, it sounds beautiful. I love your approach to starting your day..thanks for sharing.

Wishing everyone a restful nights sleep...
Old 09-05-2009, 07:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone! :)

wildrover...Oh, I got SO EMOTIONAL reading your post! I'm SO GLAD your son got such a wonderful homecoming! They totally deserve it! I'm SO HAPPY for you! I'm also so glad to hear you are going to go see your Dad again...that's awesome!

rubycanoe...When I got my first good streak going in August, I caved when I went out to a restaurant. I didn't even TRY to say NO. It was the first time I admitted to myself that I may not have control once I start, but I am in control up until the point where I say YES to a drink. I realized it was time to say NO. The thing I knew that was going to be the hardest was going to restaurants and not ordering a drink. I've been to three now. The first time I had to keep telling myself I was NOT going to order a drink. I had to do it just that once to prove to myself that it wasn't so bad and you know what? It wasn't! :) It really, really wasn't. You will get there when you are ready to give it your all. I know you will! It really feels good...I PROMISE! It's EXTREMELY empowering! You aren't missing anything...

(((tallcactus)))...I'm so sorry you are having a hard time with your husband. It is very difficult when you are having a spiritual journey / experience and you cannot share it with your spouse. I totally understand this. Hang in there and STAY STRONG!

box3...Take good care of yourself and feel better! Awesome post, by the way! :) Thank you! :)

SO here is my revelation of the day...NOT DRINKING makes us SO COOL. Yeah, it does...I'm going to take really good care of myself...kick some a$$ and get into shape and start looking AWESOME! Yup...and once I am much stronger, we will go out with our friends and I will be the designated driver. I'm going to look and feel good all night long. Health and wellness will be written all over me and I'm going to have just as much fun as everyone else, but I won't make an a$$ of myself or feel like crap in the morning! WHOO-HOO! :) So then I started thinking about all of that and drinking started to look really UNCOOL to me. It makes us look and feel like crap. It makes us look and act like idiots. (well, it did ME anyway) It's a toxic poison that is being ingested...I think I read somewhere that alcohol is actually yeast poop...nice, huh? Yeah, the more I think about alcohol, the dummer it becomes. I am SO LOVING this new way of looking at life...it's looking very attractive to me right now.

I am leaving on vacation tomorrow. I spent two hours shopping for foods for our menu. I bought LOTS of fruits and veggies and healthy foods. I am going to experiment with some new foods while we are away. I bought lemons, limes, San Pellegrino, IZZE (sparkling blackcherry and sparkling clementine) and lots of bottled water. I am SO LOOKING forward to this trip. It's going to be the first vacation I don't spend drinking the whole time and feeling lazy and hungover. I am SO EXCITED. I came home from shopping and I am SO EXHAUSTED, but I looked in the mirror and I look 100x better than I have in MONTHS...even being overtired and unshowered! LOL This is SO WORTH IT. SO, so worth it...

I will miss you all next week, but will be thinking of you. Please be sure to keep the thread going strong and everyone KEEP KEEPING ON! I can't wait to get back and hear about how well everyone is doing! I am leaving on Day 12 and I will return on Day 18! I can't believe it!

Sweet Dreams Everyone!
Love and hugs,
Old 09-05-2009, 10:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Melissa, we will miss you!!! Your positivity is infectious. Hopefully when you come back we will have been able to maintain the positive vibe. Enjoy your trip!

p.s. I am up this late because I just finished watching Slumdog Millionaire at home. I know, I'm like the last person on the planet to see it. It was very good. Wow.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:40 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hey y'all.

Happy Fathers Day to Australian fathers.

I didn't get to go to the rock climbing today, because I'd have to be there at 10. And as I was getting ready I noticed my schedule paper--my sober brain can do nothing without instruction and reminder--said I was supposed to get my textbooks today, and the bookstore is open from 10 to 2. Since I kind of need them because I'm already behind on my reading 'cause of the whole financial aid fiasco, I figured I should do the responsible thing. Plus I now got tomorrow and Monday to do the reading. Monday I'm gonna go do the rock climbing.

Rubycanoe, like Dee said, um, it's easier to pick yourself back up the faster you catch yourself. 9-9-9 is a cool date, but are you doing it for a easy to remember date or for yourself?

Golfers, enjoy your golfing.

Box, you and NewBeginning may be the only two who do understand that... thanks for the ideas.

Everybody else, well everybody really, stay strong, have fun doing whatever y'all do.

In 01:40:00 I got nine days.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

hi everyone.... wow what a busy time .. its great everyone is still here and sounds like going strong... couple of hiccups but with such a good support group like this how could you not keep sober
(ruby canoe ) and anyone else struggling

midton.. i'm looking forward to checking out the book drunkard.. have you started a thread?

bananagrrrl... what do you mean productivity??? 32 days sober is a feat !! well done!

gofish... how was the board games with sober friends?? i dont think i've done that sober yet.. though was pictionary champ with a few wines in me !! i'll have to test my skills..

chameleon boy: i was always the 'happy drunk' the one that got people laughing.. getting people to dance etc... but i realise now how selfish it was to my kids, stuff i missed out on cause i was too hungover. or too busy (drinking) to help with homework.. etc..
it hit home yesterday morning with my daughters soccer grandfinal, she was at her dads and called in here on her way to the match to 'get a water bottle'

her dad has water bottles,,,, what she was really doing is checking in on me to make sure i was up and didnt 'have a headache' !

which i was up and raring to go cheer them on

box: WOW what a post !!

hi to BF, zebra, TJ, shakespear, thirtybubba, KC, tellcactus, dee, wildrover, beckles, and anyone else around :
Old 09-06-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
KC1

Good Morning, Everyone! Sitting here with a cup of coffee....hubby is making bacon and eggs ... lot of protein before I hit the golf course again. Hope everyone is doing well. I don't feel so good today, very tired, but then I haven't played 18 holes of golf three days in a row for a long time. I have been sleeping A LOT. Hubby says it's from not drinking. Ya think? Anyway, we were invited to the beach for a few days with a friend, but since I am in the golf tournament tomorrow, I'm not going. I told him to go ahead, I'll be fine. My plans for today are to go play in the practice round and then come home and SLEEP. May call the doctor on Tuesday...I don't think it's normal to be THIS tired.

Everyone have a great day! I'll check in later on today when I get back.

KC