Notices

30 Days and Under Part 2

Old 07-16-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Hi there everyone, just dropping right in on Day 15. I've got a mean flu, so I won't be typing much as staring at a screen makes my eyes hurt, but on the positive side, a bottle of wine never seemed so disgusting to my fragile stomach and aching jaws. Okay, see you when I'm coherent again.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  
Administrator

Get better soon, Larkspur
Old 07-17-2010, 12:14 AM
  # 403 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

((Larkspur))

I remember last year, when I sobered up for a while, I got the flu right away too. Then I got another one about two weeks later.

The second one I conquered without whiskey cure, and it did go away quicker...

I made it through yet another day sober. I might actually be getting the hang of this. And work might make it easier, have a set routine in my life.

My head hurts though, all day long mostly. Think I'm withdrawing from pepsi... figured it out when I went to a meeting and got a coke at the gas station. Headache went away. It's always something, I'll tell you what.

Take care,
TB
Old 07-17-2010, 01:15 AM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Day 10 is done. A bit frustrated that it feels like the last 10 days have taken SOOOO long. I feel like I should be on day 30 by now. Oh well. Feel a lot wiser than I did 11 days ago at the very least.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:25 AM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone!

Sorry about the flu Larkspur - that's terrible in the middle of summer. And I probably don't have to tell you about the plenty of fluids and rest. Fluids would of course consist of something non-alcoholic.

I'm on day 5 and guess I'll be here for another 25. Nonetheless, feeling pretty good today!

Nice to see ya bubba!

And congrats to all those other above taking it one day at a time.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 406 (permalink)  
HFA

Originally Posted by postparty82 View Post
Day 10 is done. A bit frustrated that it feels like the last 10 days have taken SOOOO long. I feel like I should be on day 30 by now.
I hear ya!!! I am on day 20. The first 10 days crawled. Every day I was like REALLY only X days, come on. The second 10 went much faster. I think it is just waiting to get to double digits thing.

As for me, I am doing ok. Cravings come and go. Some last couple days were strong as hell. I am eating horribly and to much. Need to get that under control. But If I don not eat, then I get bad headaches. I just need to eat better if I am going to eat more often.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Ooh, Lyddie, Larkspur, Murray, Post, Cat and HFA and who did I miss--I started something, didn't I? I was just trying to give myself something to look forward to, feeling kind of blue one day. Reckon it is true what they say, think positive and take some small action and good things will happen. Now we have a lovely little thread going.

I think there's something to that first 10 days seeming to have crawled. I've made it a couple weeks shamefully often in the past year (and that's usually about as far as I got) and those first 10 do seem to go slower. I think that was part of my frustration by day 15 or so, I'd go back out...

I suspect (now) that the reason the second 10 go faster is that you actually get sort of used to the idea of sobriety. Your body begins to adjust, you start taking it as normal--to a certain extent--whereas it's more of a fight in the beginning.

Not that I know much else I wouldn't be in this here thread lol, but that concept is one I've tried to pinpoint--they say don't think too much, and they say identify your triggers. Ah the contradictions.

I got a good night's sleep, now to have breakfast. Take care y'all, hope you all have a good day.

TB

ps I missed Dee. oops sorry mate.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cat1961 View Post
Hi Everyone!

Sorry about the flu Larkspur - that's terrible in the middle of summer. And I probably don't have to tell you about the plenty of fluids and rest. Fluids would of course consist of something non-alcoholic.

I'm on day 5 and guess I'll be here for another 25. Nonetheless, feeling pretty good today!

Nice to see ya bubba!

And congrats to all those other above taking it one day at a time.
Hey Cat,

Well, as a consolation of sorts, where I'm from, it's the middle of winter, so a little less unexpected

But the last couple of days have been lovely clear, cool weekend days and I would have rather been out enjoying them!

Seem to be on the mend and am on Day 16, so that's something to feel happy about.

Glad to hear you're feeling good on Day 5, and well done!
Old 07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Day 15 here. I am looking forward to 90 days - that seems like a magical number to me. But I am enjoying the summer and 65 days from now, it will be fall. Guess I will just continue to mark time, one day at a time.

Larkspur - glad you are feeling better.

Thirtybubba - I am finding that this time around (I have had several attempts over the past years) that not thinking too much is working for me. I have spent time in the past identifying triggers so maybe I just don't need to think so much this time. AND Thank you so much for reactivating this thread - you did good!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:09 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

Lol Lyddie, you're welcome for the reactivation. But I'm telling y'all, I just needed a motivation, and it was too late for the first 2 weeks thread. There's a 90 day one too, but that's mighty far away from today for me. I wanted something achievable. Generation X, what can I say, I want immediate gratification but I've found it is a stronger persuader in keeping me sober than future ideals. I've never really lived for the future anyways.

I hear what you're saying about the whole thinking too much thing... identifying triggers was what was told to me. In the first 6 months of trying to sober up--after a couple decades of not even thinking to try--I relapsed I don't know how many times. It seemed like I had turned from a daily drinker to a binge drinker... in that time I also learned that I have a million triggers. No one thing would guarantee I'd drink. Often the same thing that'd get me going one time, was something I survived intact before and since. So for me, the triggers are more of an academic topic than something that comes into play in real life.

Well, I survived another half day without drinking. Driving home in the dark and the rain, I almost missed a whole segment of street (I recently moved) and was thinking to myself, I would never have made it home if I'd been drinking. Another county over perhaps, still wondering if I'd overshot my residence and not being sure. The little joys of being sober: getting home to a new place without retracing one's steps.

Take care y'all,
TB, practicing staying awake late for work next week
Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 411 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Good morning fellow under 30 day travellers

YAY!!!!!!!!!

I went to a barn dance last night, didn't have a drop of booze, and felt comfortable in my own sober skin all night. I've been using alcohol for "loosening up my social inhibitions" for so long at parties that I didn't even know I was capable of having a good time without it.

Another hurdle cleared in the long race of sobriety

Murray
Old 07-18-2010, 11:34 AM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Nice, Murray!
Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good time, Murray.

I had to work a few hours late last night and this afternoon, so it's been a quiet weekend for me but I didn't drink.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 414 (permalink)  

I went to a AA meeting last night and got my 30 day chip even though I only have 29 days since I'm going to be working all week during the meetings.

Oooh, work. I start that again today after 92 weeks of not working. It'll be nice to have money coming in again. Not so nice feeling getting ready to go, but... I'll go.

The days seem easier now, I have stuff to do in them, like working, and going to those meetings. It's easier for me to stay sober when I have something to do. I never did well with knowing nobody would see me for a few days, which was fairly common before.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  
HFA

congrats on the job, bubba. Glad the days are getting easier for you. They mostly are for me too. Today is day 22, and it is a hard one. I am just wore down from.... I dont really know.My brain keeps telling me that a beer would make me go... AHHHH, and just relay. Place is a mess, I just cant find the energy or time to clean. Beer would pick me up and let me push thru the cleaning. Luckily I have one of my kids tonite, so im not alone.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck with the job TB - and congrats on the 30 (it's tomorrow here LOL)

D
Old 07-19-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days and the new job, Thirtybubba. That's great news.

HFA - hope the days get better for you. I have only had random thoughts the past few days - nothing very strong,

Hiked after work with a friend. I definitely was huffing and puffing - need to hike more often.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

HFA - one thing I've been told (repeatedly) is to think the whole scene through. Sure, you'd have that "snap" out of the not-feeling-like-doing-anything... but what would happen next? If you play through the what happens after the first beer, it may not seem like such a good idea. At least it always did to me, when I played it through in my head first.

Maybe try and do some of it? Go slow, it might get done that way... Although I gotta admit, I'm surprised my house is as clean as it is. It's somewhere between passing a CPS inspection and failing a Health Department one, I'm good like that I feel not one bit like cleaning it. But I'm picking up after myself, and I'm rating that as "good" for right now.

Anyways, I thank all y'all for your support... it's still kinda tripping me out... 30 days... but I have an insane work schedule for my first week of work, so I'm sure the realization will hit me roughly around shift end on Thursday...

I oughtta be asleep now, and obviously I'm not. Can't. Grr. I'm gonna lay here and watch tv, hopefully I'll get some rest if not actual sleep.

Take care everybody, don't drink or use nothing today
Old 07-20-2010, 05:00 AM
  # 419 (permalink)  

30 days - that's pretty awesome Bubba! I just finished up my first week and am on day 8. It truly is a good feeling and can so relate to the tidiness of the home front - I've been pretty productive myself.

So happy for you with your new job - it will really change your life and schedule in a most positive way (especially on pay day).

I'm right behind ya but about three weeks though.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 420 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats and hugs to all for their progress. Keep on moving forward, it gets better with every sober day that passes!