Notices

30 Days and Under Part 2

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

didn't Don Draper get the crap kicked out of him the last time he got Sh***faced? I keep waiting for him to Dx'd with lung cancer from all the cigarettes...but I love the show too!

especially the opening music.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

don Draper always gets in trouble or there wouldn't be a show
Old 03-02-2010, 12:14 PM
  # 343 (permalink)  

Don is so *innocent*...it's his wife that makes all the trouble.. that Betty is too spoiled..:rotfxko..(notice the episode where they have their kids mixing drinks for them when they sit in the "living room")?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:25 PM
  # 344 (permalink)  

...Mad Men??
..sounds like me....back to my book...
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

"MadMen" is an emmy award winning show here in the states, set at a NYC advertising agency.....It is taking place in the early 1960s...very authentic...complete with everyone smoking, drinking heavily, littering and driving big cadillacs and wearing giant bras and girdles...you can look it up online and catch an episode if you wish. it's the AMC network i think.

Today is Sober Day 16 and I am happy about this!....I never believed i would get this far, have my sites set on my next mini *goal*, 3rd sober weekend and Day 27 coming up...I do have to say, it is getting easier to find substitutes for drinking and destroying myself.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:02 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  

talking to myself? OK i'm good company.

Sober Day 17 for me!!! where is everybody?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

You're doing AWESOME Fandy!!!!!!

Day 12 for me! For a few days I wasn't dealing with any detox symptoms, but have had a consistent headache for a couple of days and last night was dealing with major night sweats and lots of tossing and turning. I hoped the worst of that was behind me, but I guess not. I'm not going to let that deter me though. I still feel much better than I have in eons

p.s. - Mad Men is an awesome show. Don Draper *drool*
Old 03-04-2010, 07:50 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

i've been waking up with a headache last 3 days, but caffeine seems to chase it away.

I haven't been taking my migraine/anti-seizure meds at night (as I should), one of side effects is this constant metallic taste in my mouth (like chewing tin-foil). I was blaming the dry heat and lack of humidity for the headache...but maybe not.

my symptoms pretty much disappeared after 5-6 days and some decent sleep...I do take good vitamins and supplements and am trying for a balanced diet...besides the chocolate.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  

Yes fand...in these first few months I need to pay particular attention to my nutrietin...which you just reminded me of....I haven't eaten in 48 hours and that is NOT GOOD....I have a tuna sandwich and lots of food I cooked and didn't eat...so I will make sure to do that soon.

The physical effects teh mental....and vise versa....

ok...off to eat
Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  

OK, 48 hours without eating???? not good....I would be chewing on the cat kibble by now!
Old 03-04-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 351 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

'Nanda being 'Bubba...

48 hours is no good, plus it puts you in a bad frame of mind. Gotta pay attention (me too) to that, eat real good for a while for sure (and wouldn't hurt if you kept it up) and be careful...

It'll get ya (the boogeyman that is).

Take care,
TB, at 13 and hanging out with the older crowd again (didn't this happen in the 90s?)
Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

Good for you Bubba!!!

I am working Sober Day 18...happy to say that I do think LESS about drinking as I am concentrating really hard to form better habits...I've not been as social but that's OK, because I need this solid layer of sobriety before I venture out and expose myself to places where booze is served...i stick to the little Italian restaurant that is a BYOB...so there is nothing to order but a soft drink or their awsome cappuchino, plus they have the BEST food...they have the lightest tender eggplant, baked with just flour, not fried or greasy....LOVE it....that is my friday night treat!
Old 03-05-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  

fandy that sounds good! I'd rather have that, but...tonight...my first friday of the night road trip....

J. and I decided the first friday of the month we would go to the MH potluck AA potluck meeting. It's an 1.5 hour drive, and now I have a van....so this is our 2nd trip...last time it was just the two of us, this time we are taking my van and her SUV....a sht load of women in recovery on the road....watch out world!!!!!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Well, I'm safe unless y'all take a serious detour. So... have lots of fun (although I assume this message will reach you a little late).

I got 15 days locked in. Yeah, was nervous announcing 14... I'm staying away from landmark days and chips. Especially chips. No 30 day chip for Bubba if she can at all help it... Last one I got I drank that night. And it was an evening meeting. And when I finished the court classes on Wednesday, I almost drank about 18 times, from 9pm to 1am... that's a lot of close calls in 4 hours. I don't do well when I finish stuff, I wanna celebrate.

Fandy, I was thinking like that too, to take it slow with the social stuff. But... lo and behold God's got other ideas... trial by fire is how I get to play it. Tomorrow I got a party (family friends... they seen me crazy messed up when I was a teenager) where there'll be drinking I'm sure, and later this month I get to host an event in a bar (I didn't pick the location, but it is a logical place for it).

I'm less worried about the party tomorrow... they're familiar with addiction (and actively learning more about it for the most of them) and seen me wasted, so I don't really mind telling them that I'm sober. Don't anticipate much in the way of problems. Until I had that event, I was nervous about the bar... but by then I should be reinforced.

Hope I'm reinforced? Something like that.

Oh well, one thing at a time. Go to sleep, Bubba.

Take care,
TB
Old 03-06-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Bubba, go to the party prepared...you might want to bring your favorite non-alcoholic beverage with you so you are sure you have something you LIKE to drink...if it were me, I would bring a bottle of seltzer and a bottle of ruby red grapefruit juice to splash in it.

it would make me feel like i'm having MY cocktail....and it looks festive.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:23 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  

Sober Day 19!!! and sober weekend #3!!! I am anticipating a good day and having some fun by going to a movie and getting some nice dinner going...i'm making some jerk chicken and wild rice.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:37 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  

19 and 3 weekends in there... congratulations. You sure start making dinner early, btw. Nice planning skills.

Um, in my realm and my family, they don't really make cocktails. We just pass the bottle. Or mix stuff if we gotta 'sneak' it... but not fancy-name drinks. Half liquor and half something to disguise it. There's a blatant acceptance that most people drink and get high and those that don't are on probation/parole. The party is for a teenager, so I'm sure there will be plenty of cokes.

Yeah, it's not very classy, I know. But it's my family and family friends and I like them...

That is one good thing, I guess. I did all of my drinking (and also all of my having fun, sometimes the same thing, sometimes unrelated) in poverty/ blue collar land. Now I'm in college, and they say when I leave, I'll be in a different world (Suspiciousbubba doesn't really believe any of this yet...). So, if everything's physically different (different places to attend events, house in a block where nobody sits outside... this is all I've seen so far of this alleged promised land) then there won't even be the memory to cause temptation.

Anyways, am rambling, woke up a little early and I surely stayed up late last night.

Take care,
TB
Old 03-07-2010, 01:19 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Did it! Survived the whole thing... crossed my mind a few times, since I never get very far anyways (that perception thing... *I* think 2 weeks sober is amazing, I keep hearing it's early sobriety for a long time after that) it couldn't hurt much... etc.

But I didn't drink. Had it offered, turned it down, didn't have a problem telling why. And my ex showed up, and in a crazy twist, he's in rehab... we sat and watched the whole thing happen, all the people getting drunk and just tripped out. I'm about a week ahead of him in sobriety, but it was for both of us the first time we were sober at something like this.

And when the song we first danced to oh so many years ago came on, we did a "do-over"... 'cause the first time round he stepped on my shoes he was so nervous. It went much better this time.

I'm still hyper from that, and ohweee. Yeah, it's been a *long* time since I did anything social, and back in the day, I would have considered something like this a drag. Funny how life changes make for different perspective.

Then I texted my sponsor, and was told it was way too late to be calling (I'd honestly thought texting would be silent... it is on my phone lol) and that brought me down from my happiness for a while. Then, I said scr- it... I'm gonna be happy. But it does concern me... everybody has a time to call, and none of them are when I really go crazy. So I'm kinda on my own when there's an actual problem... SR to the rescue, I suppose.

Seems to me that AA wants to help when it's convenient for them, and that way they can feel good about 'helping' the newcomer... I had a foster mother like that once. Didn't like her much either.

Take care,
TB
Old 03-07-2010, 06:05 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  

congrats Bubba!!!! you've done extremely well and SR is open 24/7...(i was posting a 4AM myself when i couldn't sleep)...congrats on getting through the evening and seeing things from a new sober perspective.

it's been a l-o-n-g time since I was in school....i did not grow up in poverty, but my parents were working class imigrants...they worked hard to give me the few advantages they could...i've never forgotten where I came from and the work ethic is ingrained (i realized this as I was cleaning yesterday....Dirt was afraid of my mother). there is no reason to be *suspicious-Bubba*...just enjoy exploring the new experiences, you are a very intelligent woman and you are going to do just fine!!!....I hope you tell us all about it too.

Ms. Fandy is working Sober Day #20 today.....but again I had that irritating feeling I had last week when I came home from shopping...I wanted that *reward drink* for a hard days work...i pushed it back, didn't do it, but I cannot deny i WANTED IT...grrrr....I couldn't even visualize the "bigpicture".
Old 03-07-2010, 12:00 PM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Yeah, it's not an equivalent reward... you do lots of hard work and get done what needs to be done, and then you

get caught up in drinking and all the bad stuff that used to happen happens again, somehow more frequently, and the fun part isn't as long but the painful part is longer than you remember it ever being and then finally you get to the point where you *know* you gotta stop again, so you get to go through that emotional rollercoaster again, but only after you go through the physical discomfort/misery (whichever is applicable) of withdrawals...

Not much of a reward, if you think about it. You'd be better off going down to the fabric store and getting one of those blue ribbons they hand out at track meets... they don't really mean much to most people, but they don't tear your body and soul apart either. I imagine they're cheaper too.

I say that and I confess... I get to thinking that way every now and then too. Like last Wednesday... and last night a little bit.

TB, working on day #18... am I only 2 days behind you? I thought you had a lot more than me.