Notices

Morning Gratitude Part 114

Old 04-06-2022, 03:15 AM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Palmer, actually the Moms of Teens lunch was organized recently because of some moms who were commiserating over the college application process. I think one of them even took a course about it. Not sure if I heard that part right, but all to say the struggle is real on those applications!
CBS and Aly that is so hard with your siblings. I hope you find supports for yourselves to detach some from their choices as best you can to protect your own well-being. As unfair as it is, sounds like they are pretty set in who they are and how they will behave. Big hugs!
Hev, phew! I should be pretty safe on the dust mites front . guess it pays to be a lazy slob sometimes? Okay maybe not that but I’ve always aspired to be an immediate or just in-general bed maker and haven’t quite gotten there.
Fearless, I’m so sorry! I feel you so much on the kids coming to mom front. Ever since they were little they would literally walk past my husband to come to me for something he could have done for them right where he was. In our house it’s because I’m far more responsive to them (sometimes to their and my detriment because I’m too quick to help them with stuff). The blurring of work and home and the psychological distress a parent (mostly moms I would contend) feels when being irritated by interrupting kids but feeling so bad because we love our kids but also have work to do—for me has been one of the hardest things to come out of the pandemic and now working from home.

Grateful I don’t have to get dressed up very often.
Not grateful I woke up at 4 a.m. after a slightly fitful night thanks to the dog— but grateful this positions me to get on the road early for a work trip.
Grateful I went to the lunch yesterday. It was too loud to really have much of a conversation but i did meet some nice women and really liked hearing about the different things people do. Gives me hope that if I have to earn some extra money to be able to stay in this house post-divorce I’ll have some options.
Grateful one of the women offered to pay for my lunch because I had to leave before it was over and the waiter was super busy.
Grateful there are still people willing to wait tables and perform airport security. Was reading yesterday how our airport delays here are caused in part by the fact that the security agents can’t afford to live here.
Grateful for the weather cooling down a bit after yesterday shattered previous records.
Grateful I have therapy tomorrow.
Grateful for podcasts and music I can blare on my drive.
Grateful for the special and probably kind of excessive treat of driving by myself on a road trip.
Grateful for Aquaphor.
Grateful for possibilities.
Grateful for all of you.
Old 04-06-2022, 04:42 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hev, I’m allergic to dust mites and yes, pull the sheets back and let the bed go cold. They love the warm temperatures. Also, unless you wash your bedding at 60° or more it doesn’t kill the little blighters.

Grateful to be back in the Grats after missing a few days.Grateful to have just finished my second assignment on dementia course. just one more to do now. Phew!Grateful it’s our dear Daisy’s 4 year anniversary of sobriety.
Grateful for sobriety and all it brings.
Grateful for all of you!
Old 04-06-2022, 05:07 AM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Coming in quick-ish because I have a lot to do! Yesterday, my mom was walking on an indoor track and fell (she has dementia). She broke her nose and some bones around her eyes. Of course, being my mom, she's a trooper and her attitude is still good, but this is the fall that will have to change their living situation. She is often very confused and disoriented, can't get words out when she wants to, and her balance is just awful at this point. I feel like my dad is trying to avoid assisted living at all costs, he even told my brother he doesn't want her sitting in a wheelchair in front of the TV all day - which I totally understand - but he is just not in a physical position to be able to ensure her safety. My dad can be very stubborn, but generally reacts a little better when I talk to him, because he and my brother are very similar and can butt heads. So grateful to be sober and able to deal with these challenges with a clear head, even though I'm groggy from eating sugar late last night and not getting nearly enough sleep. Sorry, that wasn't super grateful but you guys get it.

CBS and Aly, thinking of you with the mom stuff - it's so hard.
NL, that makes sense that there would be a support group for the college application process - it's just so much crazier than when we were kids, for a number of reasons (access to too much information being the main one!)
Hev and Mags, cool bed - got it! I do wash my bedding in hot water, so that's reassuring.
Fearless, I hope Mr. F and your son find some fun things to do away from the house! That will be me next week.
Turs, so nice that your daughter-in-law could come and hang out with you for a bit!
Free, it sounds like that $1.2M investment would really pay off, although the thought of DIY sounds like a really heavy lift!

Grateful for coffee - so very tired.
Grateful this week is pretty manageable work-wise.
Grateful for some good meetings yesterday, even if I had to rush out to the hospital in the middle of it.
Grateful that my mom has not lost her sense of humor.
Grateful we have good healthcare and the means to pay for it.
Grateful to be clear-headed and alert when dealing with crises.
Grateful today is a telework day.
Grateful to be sober.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:29 AM
  # 324 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful that my boss is feeling better and seems to be bouncing back.

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:55 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

NL safe travels on your road trip today.
Mags I guess that is 60 Centigrade? That is hot!
PS I am so sorry about your mom's fall. I hope she heals quickly. I know about the stubbornness of parents.
KTB I am with you on the gratefulness for the simple things.

Grateful for a good night's sleep.
Grateful for my sobriety, 475 days. In spite of PAWS symptoms that still plague me I am grateful.
Grateful for warmer temperatures.
Grateful for food in the pantry.
Grateful for SR and the GP.
Old 04-06-2022, 06:06 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Grateful to be with Mr. Alpine
Grateful to be back in my routine of getting him his tea and bringing it to the table for him, yes I know , a very simple thing but I enjoy it
Grateful you have taught me about bed bugs.. I always make my bed as soon as we are out of it. Time to be lazy and not make it for a bit. Lol
Grateful to have about 1.5 weeks left here
After reading about all the reservations needed for the National Parks so very Grateful we got to spend a lot of time exploring a lot of them out here in the west. That was also before they got crowded. That makes me be Grateful that when Mr Alpine and I climbed The Grand Teton several years ago we had the summit to ourselves which is unheard-of
Old 04-06-2022, 06:26 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Good to see you KT!
Mags, please give my congrats to Daisy on her soberversary!
CB, Aly, Palmer, Alpine, and anyone else dealing with parents with dementia, thinking of you. It’s very rough. There is a light at the end of every tunnel. So grateful we all support each other here. Aside from a sober support group, this really is a support group for many other life challenges too
Palmer, I’m sorry your mom fell. Sometimes, these are the events that happen as the catalyst to move to assisted living. like you said. I am glad your mom has a sense of humor and hope she never loses it. My Dad had that too, until the very end ❤️ I found it helpful to journal during the time with my dad. Now I wish I had time to go back and organize my writings. Some day I will. For now I’m glad I have the memories in some written form
Numblady, thanks for commiserating over the mom stuff. Yesterday Mr F took sonny boy on a train ride to another town. They were gone for several hours and had a great time. I am forcing myself to go to the office today. Makes no sense me complaining about this when I have a comfortable place to go just 2 miles away! I’m looking forward to it. Btw, I love how much you get out there. I need to get out more and be more social.
Grateful to commiserate with a coworker in a much higher position than me and learn he has the same issues as me as far as the company’s changing all the tech platforms. We laughed about how we are both just hanging on being yes people and dealing with the changes as best as possible all the way to retirement which is 4-5 years for both of us. It’s funny how the company says give us your feedback and input honestly, but then calls us complainers when we do. Then if we don’t speak up, the changes are implemented with all sorts of problems we could have warned of but didn’t feel comfortable speaking up. Then we can’t do our jobs effectively with the changes, people leave or get fired. Ugh! Grateful I’m fairly adaptable and know a little more about playing the game now that I’m older. It’s also funny that yesterday my boss told those of us who are assigned to be on a special committee for one of the data platforms that we don’t have to prepare much because the third party vendor has mostly already designed the system. So apparently our ideas don’t matter much anyway. 😂
Free, sounds like an enormous and expensive project. Exciting but stressful at the same time!
Grateful though the espresso machine is having challenges, it’s still hanging on
Grateful Mr F has gotten over his bad mood
Grateful to watch Finding Nemo last night. Sonny boys teen brain for some reason wanted to watch and it was a fun night
Grateful for all of you so much!

Old 04-06-2022, 09:26 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Grateful for Fearless mentioning Finding Nemo ... since I've been a little low lately, my best friend and my therapist have been encouraging me to stick with positive entertainment. I loved that movie and will watch it again. (As opposed to what I was watching last night, a highly-acclaimed miniseries on the Chernobyl disaster ... it's really good, but possibly not the most appropriate entertainment for me right now!!)
Palmer, so sorry about your mom's fall. It can be so hard to go from being "the child", to sort of being the adult trying to coach one's parents into doing what they need to do for their well-being. It's not easy to navigate this stuff.
Aly & CBS, I hear ya on the siblings thing. I always had decent relationships with my siblings, but those bonds were really tested during my parents' last few years. It's hard to get everyone on the same page, and a lot of times the work seems to fall on one sibling only.
KTB, glad you're here.
Alpine, so glad you are able to enjoy the daily rituals like bringing Mr. A his tea ... these moments are precious.
Grateful this morning that my neck/shoulder continues to improve, and now I can breathe fully and (mostly) sleep again. Still have to baby it for awhile, no paddleboarding.
Grateful for a pleasant dinner last night with my brother.
Grateful for a quiet day.
Old 04-06-2022, 09:27 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Grateful you are there for your mom, PS. I'm so sorry that happened. Such a worry. Sending love and prayers. You too are wonderful to your mom.
Grateful for all the warmness and kindness on this thread.
I have to go to the library and make a quick stop at the store for my mom sometime today. Right now, I don't feel like doing much of anything, but as time goes on, I feel better. Worry and taking care of mom kind of takes it out of me. Grateful I have the where with all to help her. 💗
Grateful for all of you so very much. 💗☮
Love and peace to all.
Old 04-06-2022, 10:21 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Grateful to be posting late, better than not, it’s before noon 😅
Grateful for good coffee today
Grateful had the ingredients to make herbed biscuits for breakfast
Grateful that our gen contractor fired us after we suggested getting Home Depot goods on part of the house. I mean, $17.5k for two single garage doors!?!?! Maybe I should join whiners too.
Grateful we are meeting another builder tomorrow at the lot, and maybe will share some of the subcontractors.
Grateful our HP sent a financial gift, now maybe won’t have to build half the house ourselves.
Grateful for my husband
Grateful I didn’t turn to drink this week, it wouldn’t have helped
Old 04-06-2022, 10:21 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PS - That's awful your Mom fell. I live in fear of that. I hope she isn't in too much pain from it.
Daisy - Congrats on your 4 years of sobriety!
Turs - I always go for the heavy drama stuff - but now doesn't seem like the time for it. I think I'll take a look at Nemo too.
Grateful we had one day of spring - though now it's back to yuck.
Grateful to shut down negative thoughts last night so I could sleep.
Grateful for the loud bird that sings below the bedroom window at 5am. If I was drinking, I'd be very annoyed.
Grateful for all of you!

Old 04-06-2022, 02:28 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  

Grateful to be able to read all of your posts in this thread - its good to get out of my head
Grateful for 11 days sober and the strength to share at a meeting this afternoon.
Grateful for fellowship
Grateful for learning to let things go, I pray I have more patience when dealing with those closest to me.

Have a great sober day/evening everyone
Old 04-06-2022, 03:32 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Great job, KTB! Glad to see you here.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:29 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Magsie

Fearless will let Daisy know.
Tursiops, I loved finding Nemo and just recently watched ‘finding dory’. Worth watching.

Grateful to have my rescue meds for chest infection.
Grateful I’m in the warm while it’s blowing a gale outside.
Grateful to read all your honest and inspiring Grats
Grateful for sobriety.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:11 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Grateful that my boss got out of the hospital last night.

Grateful for another day sober.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:53 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

PS, sending good thoughts and prayers for you mom. Glad it was semi-ok, all things considered but still. Just sorry because it’s also part of the larger changes Turs described so well.
FBL, glad your boss is out of hospital.
Mags, yes please tell Daisy we are so excited for her 4 years!
Fearless, so glad you mentioned how this can be a support for other life stuff too. I am not sure I totally have this right but I think in the AA group they want you to not “cross talk” which i think is talking about other life stuff. But I seriously don’t know how anyone would keep sobriety and life stuff separate. In the AA meeting they hold they say that you should limit your comments to your problems with drinking but that leaves me not all that much to say. It isn’t drinking that is the major challenge for me—it’s living life on life’s terms and cultivating a life I love that are the real challenges. Idk. I may not be understanding it right and I’m still going to keep going and even try some other meetings because I’m in a phase where I know I need more of a tribe in my day to day life, but I haven’t quite found it yet. I jokingly feel like that character going around saying, “are you my mother?”
Hev, glad you got back to sleep! I woke up at 4 a.m. two days in a row. Ick. Luckily today I got back to sleep. yesterday i just had to get on the road.
Aly, thinking of you!
Turs, I’ve pretty much weeded out negative entertainment already. I just can’t handle it. And now i am back to mostly avoiding the news. it’s just too overwhelming.

Grateful we can post about all kinds of different things here.
Grateful my kids aren’t going to see me inebriated. My husband came home so drunk last night. It was just pitiful along with annoying.
Grateful the trip yesterday was a success.
Grateful I don’t have to drive a giant truck. There were so many big trucks on the interstate. And seeing them having to navigate traffic. I just felt lucky to be in my mini van.
Grateful for truck drivers.
Grateful people have figured out how to move things like giant blades for wind turbines.
Grateful to meet with some amazing women yesterday and hear about all the incredible things they are doing to serve others in need.
Grateful today is a light meeting day.
Grateful for each and every one of you.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:10 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

whoops! Had to come back to say I’ve totally misunderstood what cross talk is. It’s when other people interrupt someone’s share and/or respond directly to them in what they share, with the idea being people should just share their story and that if people comment on it, it could make them feel bad and also people are really just supposed to share THEIR story/truth. And in looking this up I learned some other etiquette so that’s good! Okay have a good day everyone.
Old 04-07-2022, 08:30 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

NL sorry about your husband but I am grateful you are sober
As much as I despise going to the dentist I am grateful I just got back from having a cavity taken care of
Grateful to be able to roll over in bed and be able to put my arm around Mr. Alpine
Grateful that I am back in my routine of making sure dinner is ready for when Mr. Alpine comes home from work. He does not request that by any means but appreciates it. When I was living with my MIL I did the same thing for when she came back from visiting my FIL at the nursing home
Grateful for a restful day after packing. More to do,, just taking a break
​​​​​Grateful for all of you
Old 04-07-2022, 10:18 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Numb - I'm so glad you got back to sleep after the 4am wake up. I usually lay there & awfulize about stuff - past, present & future.
Alpine - I keep putting off a return to the dentist. Good for you.
Grateful for popcorn - it's a snack, but light & relatively healthy.
Grateful MrH made a healthy dinner last night - fish & veggies. We're trying to do better.
Grateful for the rain that will bring forth flowers.
Grateful to shake off sad thoughts.
Love ya, GP!
Old 04-07-2022, 10:52 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Grateful for all the vaccines I got this week -- another Covid booster, Tetanus, and Shingles.
Grateful to have plans to see the kids & grandkid this weekend.
Grateful to be seeing some old friends this afternoon.
Grateful I was able to paint yesterday, and grateful to remember it's a very healing way to spend my time.
Grateful for this GP & SR.