Favorite Childhood Summertime FUN

Old 06-12-2007, 06:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

No mercy on me either and somehow I always became the football....... hmm I dont think thats how it was supposed to happen.

Oh the cards in the spokes on the bike tic tic tic tic tic all the way home.

Girls spending the night in a tent in the backyard and always freak our selves out with ghost stories we would end up running back into the house and set up blanket forts and sleep inside the house!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Or However You Spell It....

You know though..........we can still do those things........lol.......I feel like having a pajama party now!! LOL
Old 06-12-2007, 06:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Me too I wanna get all my friends to come over and play hide and seek in the dark all over the neighborhood!!!!! Then have a bomb fire and have water balloon wars and run around in the rain and chase down the ice cream truck!!! Lets do it!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ohhhhhh.......and we can paint Astro's finger nails pink when he falls asleep.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I bought water balloons today, Im ready
Old 06-12-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Oh and we can put his hand in cold or is it warm water and watch him pee his pants too. Then we can freeze his unders. There always has to be a victom to all this fun. I always made sure I was the last one to fall asleep otherwise all that stuff would happen to me. Oh wait then put whipped cream on his hand and tickle his nose and watch him splatter the whipped cream all over. HOW MUCH FUN!!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's so many things on this thread I so fondlyremember doing...

Walking barefoot everywhere....You could drive a nail in my heel and I probably would't have felt it.

Going to the beach everyday.

Body surfing...I still love it and I still get sand down my bathing suit, lol!

When I was younger, my Mom worked mornings. She would put chores on paper in a white porcelan hat and each week each of us kids would pick a chore that we would be responsible for for the week....The chores had to be done by the time she got home from work or we couldn't got to the beach.

Riding bikes(barefoot too; I broke my arm the first day of summer when I was 12 because I slipped on the pedal!) ...all the time. We'd ride to the library and get tons of great books to read.

Did anyone else have a truck that came around at night to spray for mosquitoes? It was a big truck with a fog of insecticide it would release from a hose on the side. We'd follow the darn thing on our bikes to get lost in the fog....all the neighborhood kids would do it. I can't believe we did; it's a wonder it didn't kill us.

Building forts, houses and farms with blocks with my brother on the side porch and playing with the little plastic figures for hours.

Barbies on the side porch if I played with my sister.

Catching butterflies and lightning bugs (we never called them fireflies)

Going to the boardwalk and on the rides for really special occassions.

When I was in high school I was a mother's helper for a family who had a memberhsip at a beach club. How cool to make money by going to the beach every day and having the ocean and the pool.

Kick ball and softball in the street

Sleep overs

So many fun things...I still love summer and I still get a sick feelign in my stomach when Labor Day comes!
Old 06-12-2007, 06:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by kj0975 View Post
Oh and we can put his hand in cold or is it warm water and watch him pee his pants too. Then we can freeze his unders. There always has to be a victom to all this fun. I always made sure I was the last one to fall asleep otherwise all that stuff would happen to me. Oh wait then put whipped cream on his hand and tickle his nose and watch him splatter the whipped cream all over. HOW MUCH FUN!!!!
Warm water I think....We used shaving cream...We'd also hang cheese doodles off the lower lip...

So whose hosting the sleep over?

There were tons of lightning bugs out tonight...I haven't seen so many in a long time
Old 06-12-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I didn't play with barbies..........don't know why.........but I did burn up all my sister's little rubber smurf guys because she told on me for something...........can't quite remember what it was.........but I was pretty darn mad. To this day she still reminds me about the whole smurf deal.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'll host the pj party..........but no peeing please lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Administrator

we're all set! I'll bring the Cheetos and whipped cream

Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Awwwwwww...........look at them!! So cute Greet. Now I want to just go snuggle with my animals lol.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:00 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Get Caught Reading

Man! I can't believe I missed this thread till now.
So many good memories before me.
I miss being a kid because....

I could walk and run on gravel and hot blacktop bare-footed without missin' a beat.
I could kick everybody's a$$ in jacks. I was The Jack Champion.
The ice cream truck. Just hearin' that music and we were off.
Going to the top of the neighbor's hill and rolling hedge apples into the road.
We called'em hedge apples, anyway. Those big green bumpy thingies. Kris?
Yeah, it's a word. lol
Favorite memory of all...

I was 9 years old. It was summer and too hot to be outside. I was upstairs lying on my sister's bed. She was older, so she had the bigger bed. The window was opened and the breeze was blowing the curtain. I was on the very last page of Charlotte's Web. I turned the book back to the beginning and started it all over again.
I read that book so many times, I could narrate the whole first chapter without looking. Now, I can only recite the first page. lol I still do it for kids that come into my work. I tell them that memory too. Man! I'm cool. lol

Good Times!!!!!!!Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Just plainly tired

God I have a lot. But the that sticks out to me is of me and my two best friends I had to be 10, one friend was 9 and the other one was 6 we would scrape up quarters and by chips, cookies. and quarter drinks and have a picnic. That was such a sweet time. Those two girls are still my best friends, we have been friends for 26 years.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:04 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I have to add this one..waking up at night to a thunderstorm. I would go downstairs & sit on the porch swing with my dad & watch the storm light up a hill accross the street. I was always just us two, we enjoyed it & each other.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

We used to love to go exploring... ok, I guess technically it was really "trespassing"... whatever! We had a blast discovering new secret passage-ways (through our neighbors' yards). It was a great time to grow up. Kids could go anywhere and be free and have fun.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by helpus View Post
I have to add this one..waking up at night to a thunderstorm. I would go downstairs & sit on the porch swing with my dad & watch the storm light up a hill accross the street. I was always just us two, we enjoyed it & each other.

Yeah! Thunderstorms!!!!

Sometimes when it was a rainy day my dad and I would sit in and watch old movies on TV. They used to play Marx Brothers, WC Fields and Mae West in the afternoons.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:15 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Jujubee Queen

Oh gosh, such fun memories...

I remember playing Kick the can,
and playing kickball with the boys in the neighborhood,
going trout fishing with my dad,
going on Summer vacation in Canada...(the ONLY place we ever went)
and fishing up there....

I remember the lady down the street had triplets, and I babysat for a Summer while she worked....they were 9 months old...2 boys, 1 girl, and adorable!

Swimming at the Rock Quarry....
Going to Cedar Point (the amusement park)
Going to the county fair
Going horseback riding,

Lots of fun memories!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Bridge CLOSED

My Best Friend, who moved away when I was 11.. and I never heard from again.. David.. and I used to play cowboys and Indians.. but we learned about the Sioux and decided they were awesome. Pretty soon we just played being Sioux with lots of horses. We used to ride our imaginary ponies around and we had real good looking Winchester '94's that shot plastic bullets. We lost the bullets pretty fast but we would sneak up on imaginary foes and shoot them with our rifles.

Then there was the Great Tunnel and Underground Fort. In Albany, NY, the area is all sand from Glacial Lake Albany. You could dig a hole for the fun of it. David and I built an awesome underground fort... he got plywood from someplace and that was the roof... and we covered it with dirt so it was a huge "tunnel." If it had collapsed or if someone had driven into that vacant lot and on it, there would have been all kinds of trouble (and we could have died!).

But, no one died and we had the fort.....

David told my Dad he was going to marry me and we would have 3 children. I piped up and said yes to being married to him, but NO KIDS! LOL I knew my mind even when I was 11!

I think his parents divorced and that is why he moved, but I never knew. he just disappeared. The next year we moved out of Albany.

I have wondered for 40 years what ever happened to Dave. He was the first boy who ever kissed me. We decided it was more fun to dig tunnels than to kiss. LOL

Life is a mystery to be lived, not solved.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

My grandparents' farm and chasing the milk cows through the creek to the barn(they did not give milk on those days. Too Nervous.)
Hiking through a cool creek on a hot day.
Trees. Climbing them. Under them.
My brother putting me on the back of his bike and hurtling us both up and down hills daredevil style to the local pool.
Family clan picnics under my grandparents' killer pecan tree (it kept throwing my cousins out when they climbed it) with watermelon and...
waiting forever until my grandfather finished churning the ice cream. Has anything ever in the world ever taken so long?
Laying in cool grass.

How could I have been in heaven and not known it?