Things a "normie" wouldn't know.... Part 1

Old 12-16-2010, 12:21 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Eating protein and life.

Normies don't ask for a to-go container for their alcohol at restaurants.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Wow. I say "Thanks" to every post on here.

Normies don't smell Listerine and automatically also smell what the Listerine is trying to cover. Especially if it's Vodka.

And Normies don't know that Vodka allegedly doesn't have a smell. I could always smell it, but my exA insisted that I couldn't, because "everybody knows that Vodka doesn't have a smell". So many times that was said to me that I questioned whether or not I could actually smell it...another thing normies don't do.

Normies don't stay in a relationship when a partner drinks 1/2 flask of hard liquor, giggles drunkenly as they hold it up and say, "See? I didn't drink that much!"

Nope, I'm certainly not a normie. But I'm a hell of lot closer than I used to be!

Hugs to you all,
posie
Old 12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keepinon View Post
normies don't have to put carpet tacks all along their overhang so the addict boyfriend won't break in the second story window
Or read this and have their ex-husband come to mind and think, "That's a great idea! I'll have to do that! Where would I attach them...."

Last edited by theuncertainty; 12-16-2010 at 12:43 PM. Reason: fixed a glaring typo
Old 12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Normies don't breathe a sigh of relief when they hear their partner snoring because that means they are passed out and you can finally get some sleep. Normies don't look foward to Mondays.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

normies don't remember ex boyfriends and wish them the most horrible death possible (sorry but this is still true with me.... got a long way to go RE resentment)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:51 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

That the reason that your toilet doesn't flush properly is because there is is a bottle of booze in there.

That "2" means at least 6.

That "they were from before" means "yes, I am still drinking".

That "Let's draw a line in the sand" means "forget what I have done and have sex with me".

That "I love you" means "I need you".

That a bottle found in the yard is not just a leftover from a BBQ that you had last summer.

That a seemingly generous trip to the store could be anything else.

That getting the squits is not necessarily something picked up from the kids being in daycare.

I could go on forever.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Normies just wouldn't have a clue would they? They'd think we were sick or something.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

nodaybut2day:

A normie wouldn't have to convince herself to let her alkie husband have sex with her, tell herself it would "only last 3.5 minutes",

OR LESS!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Misspelled texts and emails trigger me big time.

If she emails or texts me and there are spelling or usage errors I am pretty much tense until I see her in person. Even worse, she has the world's worst texting device, an iPhone, so there are errors all the time. I advocated for another BlackBerry but she shut me down.

Stupid iPhone.

This one kills me.

Originally Posted by SteppingUp View Post
Oh yeah, Normies believe that all of the misspelled words in those rambling texts were actually due to "that f-ing auto-fill"!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:39 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Have you seen this site, C? Damn You Auto Correct! - Funny iPhone Fails and Autocorrect Horror Stories
Old 12-16-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Aaagh! The "going to the store"...

Normies haven't heard their hysterical and crying daughter, over the phone, begging you to come home from work and begging her mother not to "go to the store." They haven't listened to that car door slam and the car drive up the drive while their daughter cried even more because she knew, SHE KNEW just like you did, that another alcoholic event was beginning.

This brought tears to my eyes. I was born in 1965 and I'm a man. I was trained to not cry. I don't cry. I don't.

Originally Posted by Bolina View Post
That a seemingly generous trip to the store could be anything else.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Please cry, C. Crying releases good stuff in the tears. Forget the stupid sexist rules. Check out my link. You'll be crying laughing.

The store thing is an ass. "Look how thoughtful I am whilst I go kneck half a bottle of vodka".
Old 12-16-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Normies don't have to close out the childrens accounts and re-open them in their name and not the A so that no more money will be stolen.

Normies do not keep a supply of drug tests in their home for their spouse.

Normies do not cry almost daily in the shower so their children will not hear them.

Normies do not check the floor, sinks, toilets and pants pockets for little baggies to make sure no one else finds them.

Normies don't look at the pupils in peoples eyes.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lc1972 View Post
Normies don't have to close out the childrens accounts and re-open them in their name and not the A so that no more money will be stolen.

Normies do not cry almost daily in the shower so their children will not hear them.

Normies do not check the floor, sinks, toilets and pants pockets for little baggies to make sure no one else finds them.

Normies don't look at the pupils in peoples eyes.
It is kind of scaring me how much of this I have experienced.

Here's a lovely--normies don't have to sit in a hotel room with their children and turn up the TV so they cannot hear their drunken father vomiting all over the floor in the bathroom because he had to decide whether to use the toilet or the floor because he was so drunk he was vomiting and sh**ing at the same time.

That was truly disgusting. normies also don't need to send their children into their friends adjoining room to use the bathroom because of the mess in the bathroom in their room.

Why did it take me so long to leave this man???? normies would have dropped him like a hot rock.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:00 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

normies aren't bothered if their partner gets the mail first.

normies don't change their phone number every six months.

normies have friends of the opposite sex.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:42 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

normies don't know 'alcoholese'

Quick example: " I didn't drink in your house, I went out for a few" means- I sat in my non-working car, in the drive and had a quick forty oz while you were at work, so I could say that I followed your unreasonable rule of "do NOT drink in my house".

or " you always smell something- even when i haven't been drinking"! means I dont care if you do smell beer, I will just deny it, and you will just wonder-haha

great thread, Coyote. it feels good to get some of these things out, tho sad that so many of us deal with this . thank God for recovery. ours and theirs.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:53 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Chicory is right. It really is a great thread. Some of it makes me laugh and some of it makes me cry. All of it makes me realize how very sick I was and how far I've come to not allow this type of behavior in my life any more. That's why I keep coming here and keep going to AlAnon. It helps me to keep things in perspective for myself and maybe along the way we'll help a newbie.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:14 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Awakening

Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
Chicory is right. It really is a great thread. Some of it makes me laugh and some of it makes me cry. All of it makes me realize how very sick I was and how far I've come to not allow this type of behavior in my life any more. That's why I keep coming here and keep going to AlAnon. It helps me to keep things in perspective for myself and maybe along the way we'll help a newbie.
It's funny to watch a thread morph, I had this exact thought myself. Mostly funny stuff, but some that stabbed me right in the heart.

Cryanoaks post about his little girl crying on the phone.

A normie wouldn't get a phone call at work from his, then barely 5yo daughter, crying that it was dark outside and mommy was "gone".

Turns out mommy had passed out on the back porch while LMC was eating dinner and watching T.V.. In the meantime night had fallen and LMC was afraid to go out onto the back porch in the dark to check, and after she'd looked all over the house, assumed her mom had just left her home alone.

She called me crying and practically hysterical, and I was driving a truck 2 hours from home. She called me every 10 minutes, and I soothed her as best as I could for about an hour till my phone died. I have never felt more helpless in my entire life than that last hour till I could get home. Mom was still passed out when I got there.

I am brought to tears of frustration again just typing this out here. God damn it.

Not very funny.

Thanks and God bless us all,
Coyote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

NOrmies probably do not think taking or making a call quietly in the bathroom is that shady.

Normies never had a significant other who was to "go out with friends " go to the corner gas station to meet those friends, instead of then=m coming to the house.

Normies cannot sense a lie coming from a mile away.

I was sitting w my recovering A two nights ago, we were looking over the photos from the last five years...our sons birthdays, christmases, everyday events. Every few bunch of pictures, even if he was in the photos, he would say, almost suspiciously,"When was that? I dont remember that?"...I had to remind him how the day or evening played out.

We went to bed distant and awkward. It stirred up a lot for both of us.

NOrmies dont have to endure a cheating, lying addict asking them who was there at the house while they were out on a bender for 5 days...suspicious and angry, not thinking that his 5 or 4 year old had the flu the whole time, and you could not have had 'company' if you had wanted to...or if you could have kept your mind from wondering where he was, how bad off he had gotten...Maybe he was mad at the end of his bender that you went ahaead and took the child to the amusement park, as promised, when he blasted off into oblivion...

The day after we looked at those pictures, he went to a meeting. He came home, put child to bed, came downstairs and cried. HE said he never realized, he didnt see. He said he was sorry for leaving me high and dry like that all those years.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Normies trust themselves and their spouse. They do not know what it is like to be so afraid to trust anyone, including themselves.