OT: A special feline friend transitioned this morning

Old 06-27-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Present

OT: A special feline friend transitioned this morning

She's been roaming around the apartment complex where we live for somewhere around four or five years, at least.

When we first saw her, she was so very thin. I thought she looked like a piece of paper with four legs.

She was obviously feral. She was never quite clean and, if I could get close enough, a bit smelly from being dirty. If I saw her around the complex not near our apartment, she'd scoot away - I never did see her run.

Gradually, I got her to come up to our apartment. I made sure she was fed and had fresh water.

It took about a year before she would let us pet her.

I'd open a can of Fancy Feast on the front porch and she could hear it from a quarter mile away and would start her slow walk to the apartment. I'd watch her come from behind one of the buildings, from the area that leads to the river confluence near our complex. I don't know where she went down there.

For the past three winters, she has been on our porch on a heating pad. I've taken comfort in knowing she had a place to be where she wouldn't get too cold.

I could see marks from some type of battle, or maybe scratches from foliage. They'd heal up and then reappear.

I had no idea how long she would live, but I knew she was near the end. I've been saying that for at least four years.

I learned a lot about why people say that cats have nine lives.

In late March, I saw that it was taking her longer to get up the stairs, and she was visibly weaker.

We have a patio in back that doesn't have access from the ground level, so one day when she made it up, looking more tired and weary than normal, I made a home for her on the back patio.

I put her heating pad there, took food out to her about four times a day, and was heartened to see her appetite so good. She drank the fresh water I took to her daily.

I'd seen her pee in some dirt near the building, so I took that dirt and put it in a litter box with the wooden pellets we use in the litter box for our cat, who will be 15 in August and is healthy and happy and spoiled and loved.

She took to using the litter box on the patio. I kept it on one end, and her bedding and food far enough away from it to define the areas.

Yesterday, I took food out to her and she didn't seem able to find it, even right beneath her nose. From the day before yesterday to yesterday, she appeared to have gone from the fed kitty to the skinny one like when we first saw her.

She had always communicated to me that she wanted to live. She had an appetite for life. Her gift to me was for me to see how she wanted to live. It gave me more of an appreciation for life.

Even last night, when I finally cracked an egg into her bowl and stirred the turkey into it, making a soup of it; even last night, as she lapped up the food that she was finally able to find; even last night, as I wondered if she would live through the night, she had an appetite for life, and was bumping her head on my hand, wanting the company, wanting the love.

This morning, I woke up extra early and went out to see her, to find her in the death throes.

I made her as comfortable as I could, adjusting her head so she could breathe better. I made myself comfortable in front of her.

She stared into my eyes, and I saw recognition. She and I communicated in the language of soul talk. We communicated love and thanks to each other.

She was a little afraid. Her breathing slowed, and she began to gasp. I was a little afraid, but I gently petted her in ways I knew she liked, and she seemed comforted by it.

An hour and a half after I first got outside, I watched her let go. I watched her relax and leave her form.

I thought, It was a good death... She was such a brave spirit.

And I was honored to give her, for the last months of her life, a home of her own, where no other four-legged would compete for food or fight with her, where she could sleep, was warm, was comfortable, and was loved.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm moved to tears. Bless you for being there, even in her final moments. :ghug3
Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

OMG!!! Why didn't I wait until I got home to read that???? *CRY* *CRY* *CRY*
Old 06-27-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It's wonderful that she had you. Am so sorry for your loss, hope you're ok. x
Old 06-27-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Present

thank you, friends, for caring - sorry to make you cry at work - your love for the four-legged friends of the world shows through and I appreciate it.

thanks, too, Tally, for hoping I'm OK Being there for her transitioning was beautiful and bittersweet - I'm just taking it easy on myself today. I think what helps most is the love that we shared.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

May God bless you for taking care of one of his least. I know she was glad to have you with her at the end. I am sure you brought her as much joy as she brought you. You are a special person to take the time to do all this for her, most of the time these days people cant be bothered with small acts of kindness. Sending you Hugs as you deal with your loss
Old 06-27-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I Love Who I Am

Beautiful. Thank you.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i love people like you Merideth, you have done an outstanding job of caring for kitty-girl. I know you will continue to honor all cats who need care, whatever you do to help...my neighbor also took "custody" of a ferral cat for the last 2 years...he hasa crate on her deck and is quite chubby now...part of his ear is missing from a fight..i always think he has gone, but then he shows up again....she also took in a ferral kitten who is now the office pet and lives in the suite...she chairs all the meetings, everyone loves her and they take turns going in on the weekends to feed her, clean her box...she is quite spoiled, fixed and the queen of the Fertilizer Sales Office.

my 3 kitty-boys are fat and spoiled, ages 15, 4 and 2...they are happily consuming turkey breast and teasing the rescued dog...( a little Pom I adopted in my 3rd month of sobriety).
Old 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Meredith, I'm so glad that she had you. :ghug3
Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you were there when it all happened, that's what they want the most, is to be with you when they go. I'm so sorry for your loss, and so glad you had each other for the past four years.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's people like you that this world needs more of.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so sorry for your loss but thank you for the post Meredith

D
Old 06-27-2011, 04:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((Meredith)) - I, too, am crying but it's because of the love you gave this kitty, and the compassion you had in helping her to ease over to Rainbow Bridge.

I'm glad you are taking care of you, and I'm really glad there are people like you in this world.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hugs, you were good to someone who appreciated the love.

Sometimes that's darned hard to come by.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Meredith,
Bless you. My heart aches,and my tears are for her and for you. I am sorry that she had to leave you. You kept her fed, warm, and showed such kindness. She had her forever home with you, and knew real love- that is the greatest of all gifts. You gentle touch must have made her passing so much easier. You were her angel, Meredith. Thank you for sharing her with us.

Rest sweetly, precious one.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Meridith...your one of the special people. What a loving kind heart you have. Thank you so much for sharing with us. Brought tears to my eyes too. Bless you and your precious Kitty.

:ghug3

Best Wishes To You!
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

May God bless you, Meredith. Thank you for posting.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

((((Hugs))))) I'm so sorry your lost your dear friend and companion. You were a good mom.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Present

Wow...

I can't tell you how much your comments have meant to me. Thank you SO much.

I spent a good deal of time today, perhaps "over"-cuddling my 15-years-old-in-August Freya, filling my nose with the smell of her soft, silky fur, feeling her purr against my hands and face, not wanting to miss a moment of her precious sweetness. I attached a couple of her below here

thanks again, so much.

Freya, who will be 15 in August, doing one of her cutie-pie poses.

Freya - it's a little blurred but one of my favorites.

I know I had some photos, not close up, of "Girlie" as I called the special friend who transitioned today, but I haven't been able to find them yet. I feel that they will turn up somewhere! her on the front porch on her heating pad.

I do have a "picture" of her in my mind from after I'd been taking care of her for a while, and she had recovered enough to look taken care of.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

that story definitely made me tear up, what a good kitty friend you are!

My Pepper, the cat I'm bringing with me, was a 5 week old feral kitten when I found her in my garage. She's now a healthy, sassy 4 1/2 year old cat.