The Blue Day Directory

Old 04-15-2003, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

The Blue Day Directory

Well, its spring and we all know what that means sometimes, spring cleaning.

Well, when I was cleaning I came across a book I bought a while back and actually never used. Not sure why I didn't use it but I was taking a look at it and perhaps some of the things it says to do can help us on a "blue day".

The book is called the "The Blue Day Directory" and "it is a personal list of things to do when you're feeling blue. A ready reference for delightful diversions....."

I was thinking perhaps we could all make our own Blue Day Directory with the suggestions of lists through the book and little tidbits through the book.

Another quote from the book - "The best thing about using your Blue Day Directory is that you will realize that, whether you act on your lists or not, there are many things in your life that you truly love and enjoy. There just so much on this planet to look forward to."

Okay so the first list it asks you you to make (it suggests ten but I think it could be as many or as few as you want) is:

People Who Always Cheer Me Up

Okay folks get your paper out, your journals, etc. and your writing utensils and start listing. Share if you want to and I will add on from time to time

I think this sounds fun, I hope you do also.

I will share with you who will be at the top of my list for cheering me up - my Mom and Day. They always make me smile

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 04-15-2003, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

People who always cheer me up

All three of my kids, they have amazing senses of humor.
My sister, ditto on the sense of humor.
My niece, nephew and nephew-in-law, they have infectious smiles and always have something wonderful to say
One of the ladies at the daycare center, she is ALWAYS in a good mood
Everyone on this board. I rarely read the posts here without getting a big smile on my face.
Great idea barbiedeb!
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-15-2003, 04:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

It would have to be my grandson!! He is my silver lining in all of this.

And my mom. We were estranged for a while but now things are great. She is so funny and laid back. And she thinks I am funny too!

Thanks Deb,
JT
Old 04-15-2003, 05:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

I really think this will be fun Just wanted to mention what it says on the page to list the people who always cheer you up.

"...people whom you love to talk to, laugh with, have coffee (and maybe a little slice of chocolate mud cake) with, and generally just enjoy each other's company. Friends whom you might occasionally like to hug, who are pretty good listeners, and who always make you feel special."

Wow, I can add a lot of people to my list, including all of you!!

Hugs,
Debbie
Old 04-15-2003, 05:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Okay, well the next person

Who invites me over for good conversation, coffee and chocolate mud cake gets added to my list quick and a hurry.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-15-2003, 06:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Oh this is great Barbiedeb. It makes me realize how many really fun and happy people I have in my life.

My sister-in-law. She is crazier than me and we always end up laughing until we cry.

My friend Gail - I can tell her ANYTHING and she doesn't fall off her chair. She's one of the few friends that I would actually love to travel with. She likes "the road less travelled" and we always get lost in the strangest places.

My elderly neighbour Eileen (the feisty nurse from WW2). I love inviting her to sit while I "play" in my garden and she tells me wild stories from her youth. My cat loves her too.

And the most wonderful people I never met....all of you. Having you here just makes every day brighter for me and it is the one place I can really just be myself and know that you'll still be here.

What a great "feel good" post BD. Thanks!!
Old 04-15-2003, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great Idea...Something FUN!

My Mom has to go at the top and could probably count for more than one person. She is ALWAYS there for me.

My best friend CHRISTI. She is very kind with her words and so complimentary.

Most of the staff at the Christian pre-school where I work. A wonderful bunch of ladies who have seen and heard it all!!!! They are much like the group here only not all of them deal/live with addicts.

My Sister (as long as there is no competition for anything) We walk a fine line of the love/hate thing. Always have, but she is a great friend.

Did I mention my MOM?
Old 04-16-2003, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Okay your list for today (if you choose accept this mission ) is:

Places I Love to Visit

This is the message from that particular page:

“Places that are exciting or peaceful – places where you can think about your world or think about nothing! Public gardens and parks, back-street cafes, museums, art galleries, pet shops, theaters, a beautiful old church, or even the nearest zoo (try to arrive around feeding time).

I personally think I would eventually like to add a few of those to my list. I think a few of my favorite places are going to the mall, I just let loose there, the Showboat in AC, NJ another place I feel excitement – after thinking about this, I came to realize I have no places I go to visit for peace, that has got to change

So when I find my peaceful place, I will add it to my list and let you all know what it is.

Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 04-16-2003, 04:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

OH the very 1st thing that comes to mind is a college football game. Of course this would fall under excitement!!! Or my on kids football games, basketball whatever!

The 1st peaceful place that comes to mind is Church. I always feel relaxed and connected to peace there.

The beach would have to come in 2nd. Although I don't go often, usually once a year. Love the sun, sand and the relaxing lapping of the ocean. The air smells fresh and is warm all around your body! Sounds of birds and laughing children fill the air. Really makes me in touch with our creator!

Can't say that I have very many places.....guess I need to work on this! Maybe I haven't placed this high enough on my list.
Old 04-16-2003, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh, what fun!

Sorry, I missed this list yesterday! So I'm going to list my people who cheer me up first--I have 4 best friends! Now, how lucky is that? All 4 of them are women that have always been there for me. One of them is my bestest best friend, and she has prayed with me through all my struggles. Also, my mother-in-law is a wonderful lifter-upper! She loves me and we love to spend time together.

Now for places I love to visit: There are 2 gift stores not far from me, one is huge, and the other is in an old Victorian house. Both play soft, peaceful music and always have wonderful smells to enjoy. I could spend an entire day in either place! Also, the library--because I can delve myself in history and geneology, and forget the whole world!

Thanks for starting this!

Lyn
Old 04-16-2003, 06:22 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No More Mrs. Nice Guy

PEOPLE: my sons, my mom, my cats (who THINK they are people) and a few kids who are almost like my own kids.

PLACES: the beach, the mountains, botanical gardens. Anywhere I can be close to nature and close to God. Living in a big city makes me really appreciate the opportunities to be surrounded by total calm and quiet. Those moments are precious, though few and far between

OH - and the Forum boards. This is my most favoritest of all!

Osier59
Old 04-16-2003, 06:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My best friends are here at SR

And my daughter.

Thank you all!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
believer

OK, I'm a little late but here goes:

PEOPLE - My sister-in-law who knows how to have fun and loves to drag me along with her, and my girlfriends who've been in my life for a long time and can always make me smile.

PLACES - Any place with water, any quiet spot that I can be alone and connect with me, and of course these boards!
Old 04-16-2003, 07:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Places I love to visit

The beach. As a friend of mine once said "When I'm at the beach, I can really get next to myself."
The lake. There is one close by with a path that goes all the way around it (it's a small, man-made lake). It is very peaceful to walk there.
The park. There is a park in my old neighborhood that has a hiking trail. It also has a creek running through it. All of the trees there are very tall and old. It's a very "get back to nature" kind of place.
I used to love to visit some of the religious shrines downtown, but haven't done that since I was a kid.
I have very fond memories of my trip to Atlanta last November. So I "visit" those memories whenever I need a smile.
Peace,
Gabe
Old 04-16-2003, 07:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Places I love to visit.

The city...I love the energy.

The beach...if I am lucky twice a year.

The Smoky Mountains.

I live in the midwest in a farm town. My dream is to someday move southeast. An hour to the beach..and hour to the blue ridge and a hop to Savannah or Charleston.

Hugs,
JT
Old 04-16-2003, 08:50 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

PEOPLE: My daughter, nieces, nephews, and friends at SR.

PLACES: I'm blessed to live in BC and am surrounded by trees, mountains, and water, so I don't have to go far to find a peaceful spot. Driving through the farmland around my home - llamas, sheep, cows, crops - beautiful! Long Beach on the west side of Vancouver Island where the next stop across the Pacific is Hawaii. The Japanese gardens in Vancouver. Bookstores!!! Absolutely guaranteed to make me lose myself for hours. And a strange one - the laundry room! I love listening to the chug of the washers and the hum of the dryers. And anywhere I can people watch - way more entertaining than TV!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Southern through and through

Ok, so I'm always a day late and a dollar short.....

People: My family. Parents are great, just so cute. Sister in law is crazier than I am. She makes me feel sane. Children, on their GOOD days. Husband who is so easy going it makes me hate him sometimes!!!... And my BEST friend Chris who just the other day pointed out something so disheartening to me as we were on a daily walk. She said, "Have you noticed we used to talk about sex but now we are talking about our bowel habits?" YIKES!!!!!!

Places: Mountains in north Georgia in the fall. And the mall, or my favorite place to buy clothes...that is, when I have a wallet full of money. No, wait! I NEVER have a wallet full of money. What am I talking about????????? Ok, so I might have a credit card that wants me to hear that 'cha ching' noise though....

And JT, just to make you drool, I live 50 minutes from the beach. What you say we have a soberrecovery retreat there?????? Oh my, I think I'm on to something!!!!!!! Shall I start scouting out for the discount rates at the hotels? Huh, huh, huh?????
Old 04-16-2003, 01:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm a little late but here it goes:

People: My husband (now that he has come back to me sober and really working to get better), my children (the two cutest girls in the world), the babies I work with (I am a pediatric PT and find they are the strongest people I know), my sister-in-law who has really been there for me, and all of you!!!!!!

Places: Hey JT I'm going to make you drool too. I can smell the Ocean from here!! (I am surrounded by water - live on Long Island). I really LOVE the beach and the local ports. Walking on the docks and looking at all the boats is GREAT! STanding on the soccer field and watching my girls play (My 8 yeard old is starting to really find her way in the sport and my 5 years old just runs around laughing).

Thanks Debbie this is great!

NoDoubt
Old 04-16-2003, 02:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Just look at all the great people and beautiful places we all have, isn't it wonderful

A little quote from the "Blue Book Directory"

"You can't stop to "smell the roses" if there aren't any around. Make the effort to seek out and enjoy beautiful things and experiences -- they make life worth living."

"When was the last time you bought a friend, colleague, or even yourself a bouquet of flowers?" (This sounds like a suggestion to me, and I just may do it.)

I am so glad you are all enjoying this. I do think its fun. I will have your next list mission tomorrow morning

Many hugs,
Debbie

PS....I forgot about the library....that is one of my peaceful places when I get a chance to go.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:11 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Bookstores!! Margo you reminded me! I love bookstores! Used books stores are the best!

You guys are inspiring me to go for it. Ward keeps saying 5 years, for the last two years. He has deep roots, but that is my dream. I love the south with all the history, great food and slow pace.

In my neck of the woods I live in a quiet community and my nieghborhood is perfect for a walk. I appreciate the season's more as I get older. Winter to rest and spring to awaken. Fall is great everywhere!

Hugs,
JT