Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Archives > The Best of SoberRecovery
Reload this Page >

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Whiners Anonymous Part 307 "We'll Whine Again" - Remembering Ann

Old 02-05-2022, 01:47 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I also remember the mouse-mobile story. The description of her 'shaking her leg like the Hokey Pokey gone wrong'. She had such a way with words.
Old 02-05-2022, 01:55 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

Loving all the Ann pictures and stories.

Alpine, hoping that Riley is good.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:08 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Suki! If I remember, I think Ann swore to Bubba that she would never set foot in that car again.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:15 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

^^^ Yes, that's what she said. Never never never! They did get rid of it rather quickly.

I get a mental picture of her 'shaking her leg like the Hokey Pokey gone wrong'. Just thinking of that mental picture makes me laugh out loud.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:25 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Oh, my gosh, I have been loving these wonderful stories and laughing until I cried, at realizing how much I , and we all, miss her. Thank you for posting these, its soo good to revisit Ann. What a woman. Just miss her so very much.
Hokey pokey gone wrong... She was hilarious.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:46 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

This is the original post by Ann, of the famous and fearful 'Blackened Lasagna' I didn't copy it right, but I found it and here it is!

http://Angry Killer Lasagna
Ohhhh lordy, I have a horrifying killer blackened lasagna whine. I picked up a nice take-out caesar salad for dinner and put a frozen veggie lasagna in the oven to bake. I always put it on broil for just a minute or so at the end so the top is nice and brown...follow me here. So, the lasagna was done, I took my oven mitts and picked it up to take it out of the oven....and it caved and the entire lasagna slid into my very hot oven...on the door, on the racks and on the burner and bottom. It gets worse... I turned off the oven as the lasagna started to spark (from hitting the burner at the bottom of the oven) and burn and smoke...then the smoke alarm went off so I had to open windows. It's cold outside so I now have a freezing cold condo with burning lasagna sizzling and spitting at me. I tried shoveling it out to the floor (so at least it would stop smoking) and a big piece landed on my foot and burned it...I'm hopping now and have a kitchen that looks worse than Fandy's, no dinner and an alarm that doesn't know when to stop. Bubba looked terrified, I don't know if he was afraid of the killer lasagna or me. He offered to help but what could he do? Once I finally cleaned up the mess he did have the decency to wipe out the now-cool oven and then spray it with oven cleaner, promising to clean it all out in the morning when I go to work (he's off tomorrow). No wonder I hate cooking, you just never know when you will be attacked by a killer lasagna.

__________________ I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars. ~Og Mandino
Old 02-05-2022, 02:49 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

I am laughing so hard I am choking.....need water.

That is even funnier now than the first time I read it. ❤️
(Well, at the time, it was hard to laugh too much with the burned foot and the terrified Bubba.....)
Old 02-05-2022, 03:07 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Oh lordy indeed. Reading her description makes me laugh out loud. I remember that tale of woe so well. Got a mental picture of that too. Oh lordy lordy. The adventures she had and so glad she shared them with us. She painted a picture with her words, as clear as one of her photos.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:08 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I have to say that Lucy Ricardo had nothing on our Ann!
Old 02-05-2022, 03:18 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
We went to the opening of the Buddhist Temple a few towns over this morning and it was magnificent. Remember my new best friend Buddhist who helped us with information the other night? Well, when we arrived (at 8 am) we had to park at a ski hill parking about 4 miles away and my new best friend Buddhist followed us and gave us a ride back to the main park...saying the shuttle should be running by the time we left.

The statues were gorgeous. We climbed and climbed up hills to see the grounds (ponds and gardens are yet to be finished) and finally hopped on a cart shuttle to the temple at the top. It is gorgeous but we couldn't get in to see the inside because importance dignitaries were coming for the formal opening and security was everywhere. But I got some good pics and met some very nice people and after about 3 hours we decided to head out (thousands had headed in by now). When we got to the gate...no shuttle. We would have to wait another 2 or 3 hours until all the ceremonies were over....so we decided to walk.

We walked and walked about 3 1/2 miles and I whined and whined and we walked some more. About a half mile from the parking lot a police officer who was working the opening, stopped in his car to offer us a ride...in the back...where criminals sit...and me without my Clorox Wipes! Actually, he had a big box of park stuff on the front seat so there was not other option and I was really really glad to get a ride, even if I had to ride in his trunk.

We hopped in, well crawled in, it's teeny weeny space back there and my handbag almost didn't fit. He drove us right to our car (big lot) and posed for a picture for me before he left.

Bubba and Ann's Excellent Adventure was fun and worth the walk and I don't hurt too much after a lazy afternoon.....

Some strange queeny with one of the little Buddhas....

Office Friendly, I was never so glad to get a ride after walking almost 4 miles....

.........and then.......

This is what the back of a police car looks like...no foot room, no handbag room, just a teeny area behind bars. He laughed when I took a picture and said most people who "ride" back there don't have cameras. The reflection is Bubba's hand, lol, he got the bullet proof glass side, I got the bars.

Old 02-05-2022, 03:25 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Love this... you almost feel like you are there, when she tells a story. So glad you found that one Suze.
Suki, you've got that right!
Old 02-05-2022, 03:25 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

I agree Suki.......Ann would give Lucy a run for her money ! I remember when the mouse mobile saga was going on, I'd just have to check in for the mouse count - LOL !!
Old 02-05-2022, 03:29 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  
Administrator

Omigosh, the blackened lasagne and the police car ride - I can't stop laughing. I used to tell Ann she should publish a book with her beautiful animal/bird photos, interspersed with her hilarious stories. It would have been a best seller.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:30 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

I agree ~ I said the same to her many times. ❤️
Old 02-05-2022, 03:30 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I hope this doesn't put a damper on things, but I just ran across this from Ann. Even with her and Bubba's health issues, she remembered to be grateful for all they did have. I know I could take a lesson from her.

We love and miss you so much, Ann.

12-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Ann
Nature Girl

Small confession here...I have been feeling a bit blue this year as my friends prepare to head to Florida right after Christmas. I love the nature in the swamps and the bird rookeries and all things palm trees and sunshine. It is out of the question for us to go, even if we paid the very high insurance it would cost us, we can't take the chance of something going wrong (like what recently happened to Bubba) that would not be covered....and yet I yearn for the smell of salt water and warm beaches at sunrise watching the shrimp boats head out or come in with the night catch. So I have been blue....until this morning.

I was sitting in the waiting room while Bubba had his CT scan and I just looked around at others there, bravely on their journey with cancer (it's a cancer hospital). Some with a daughter or son to help them get around, and many who were obviously sick, from the disease or their treatments, but each one braver than me. And then there was the young girl, maybe 12 or 13, who had lost her hair and yet smiled and waited her turn. Losing one's hair to cancer has an emotional punch that compares to nothing else we may go through. I lucked out on that part too.

I have so dang much to be grateful for, Bubba and I got really really lucky to be well today. We live an almost normal life and hell, when was my life "normal" anyway? I may not be able to go to Florida but I can go to the Rockies with my nephew or to whale watch off Vancouver Island with my niece. I can travel anywhere in Canada and there is a lot of Canada worth seeing, and worth seeing again if I have already been there. Bubba can travel with me when he wants and I'm happy to travel with family when he opts out. We live in a lovely area and can cottage on any number of lakes next summer. Life is good, darn good.

So I am soooo over myself now and it feels good. Sometimes gratitude needs to bowl me over before I feel it. I need to do something about that.
Old 02-05-2022, 03:44 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

She was the best! Funny and wise. Love all the stories she told, Toby in the tree, the moused auto, moving to a new condo. Miss her.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:08 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Suki's post reminds me of a time when Ann was going to the hospital and I mentioned that I would drop a line upstairs, and she said that I should save my prayers for the kids they see at the cancer center. That may have been the most brave and selfless thing I've ever heard anyone say.
Old 02-05-2022, 04:34 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

(Suki - I held off posting this because I didn't want to be a downer, so I'm glad you posted what you did. )

The funny stuff is definitely the way to go, but I want to share something a little more serious that reminds me of her incredible spirit. The lessons I learned from her will always stay with me & will help see me through any hard times ahead.
After her diagnosis, it was so typical of her to keep going and not let it affect her participation here. We'll never know if she suspected that the end was near, but maybe it was just as well. I know she didn't want things to change. She wanted to be able to keep helping us by sharing her wisdom, making us laugh, & giving valuable advice until she had to leave us. I feel sure she's somewhere wonderful, watching over us.

You know that saying - not to be sad because it's over, but be happy because it happened. We're not there yet, but I know we will be. Her lesson was - keep going with your head held high - with dignity & hopefulness. We'll always be grateful to have had such a beautiful friend.

This is from an email she wrote me - an answer to one I sent her, saying how brave she & Bubba were after they found out they both had cancer. In it, she mentions having good friends she can be honest with - and that included all of us.

From Ann in 2015 (I believe she made it another 7 yrs. thanks to this attitude):
"Joanie, Bubba/George and I are both pretty optimistic people and I have to say this did really hit both of us hard, but sometimes something is so big that you can't take the time and energy to feel sorry for yourself, you need all you've got to fight back. So we're taking it one test at a time, one medical procedure at a time, one prayer at a time...and we got this far in pretty good shape. It brought us even closer in a way that only someone that had been through this would understand, but I think you do too. We had to hang on to our sense of humour as we took time to discuss..."What if I die first...how will you be?" and vice versa. We decided in the end that neither one of us was going to check out any time soon, but we do have our wills and wishes in order for when we are 105. We made up our minds that we are not "dying of cancer" but instead we are "living with cancer" and therein lies the difference. And I thank God every day for good hospitals and wonderful doctors who know what they're doing and have never once suggested that this is going to end badly. I live in faith that they are right.

So don't give me my halo yet, you'd be amazed what you can do when you have no alternative, you get to choose only the attitude with which you do it. I often tell members on the board "You are stronger than you think" and I mean it. When you set the fear aside and face life head on you can do just about anything you set your mind to doing.

I'm babbling on, but I just wanted to let you know that I was really touched by your letter and that having dear friends like you, with whom I can be totally honest, is a huge part of seeing me through this and keeping my heath, mentally and physically both.

Love you lots, big hugs to you and "Mr. Hev". Look out your window at that beautiful world in front of you and just know that all this is bigger than either of us and God's got our back. Ann"
Old 02-05-2022, 04:59 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Hi to all of you, I've just been reading back over the last few pages, reading all the lovely stories about Ann and wanting to laugh and cry at the same time. What a woman she was, brave, funny, honest, wise, loyal and beautiful, honestly I could go on forever listing her qualities. If I could be half the person she was, I'd be happy. Anna, Venus, Mags, thanks for sharing those lovely pics, its good to see her looking so good. Hevyn, your post above made me cry, it's so moving.
I always looked forward to Ann's posts, I loved reading about her blackening food cookery skills and I loved her magnificent nature photographs.
I remember when I first joined Whiners and I was stressing about my wayward son, she sent me a p.m telling me all about herself and her wayward son, she really understood where I was coming from and gave me such good advice, she made me realise that I wasn't alone and that what was happening wasn't my doing. Ann was one in a million and she will live on in all our hearts.
Old 02-05-2022, 05:07 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

(Suki - I held off posting this because I didn't want to be a downer, so I'm glad you posted what you did. )
It is all a part of who she was, Hev. We love her for all of it. The laughs, the tears, the joy...just the reality of life in general.