Authenticity V

Old 06-28-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Damaged is damaged. That I spent decades hiding it from myself is atrocious enough.

I feel like a newborn. Scared and clumsy, just learning to stand. What is this world? The problem is, I'm not newborn. My past is with me, reminding me, beckoning me. "Just do what you used to".

Every step forward is a war.
Initially it is a war in early sobriety, and it was for me certainly too. Eventually I won that said war, and my past damage was thereafter much less in my face and so more behind me. Sure, I have life-long consequences from my past drinking, and this creates present responsibilities moving forward. Being responsible for one's self though is not a problem in itself. Rather, its a blessing and another opportunity to turn myself around for the betterment of myself.

It may feel like being a newborn. Still though, life experience is everything, and in fact none of us our newborns when we choose to draw on our past life as a resource rather than as "damaged goods" Still though I do appreciate the analogy of being a newborn.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Venecia, thanks.
i was sober for several years before i thought the AA program might be a good way to get "the rest of life" in order, something i hadn't understood whatsoever that there would be something to "get in order" once i'd successfully quit drinking. in fact, i was convinced that if going to AA was what it took to quit drinking, i'd die still drinking.
it's been an odd journey
but without doing "the stuff" that got me to this step, and without help through those prior steps from my sponsor-type-guide...i most likely wouldn't have done it at all or would have done something very messy and probably destructive. i have no doubt about that.
it's been an amazing thing to see the immense value, to experience it, in something i so entirely distained not long ago.

and
Old 06-28-2015, 09:11 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Not lashing out at presumed slights is good, yes?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jeni26 View Post

I'm aware that I'm scrabbling around in the dark a little here. As real feelings emerge, I find myself inadvertently slipping back into old habits of covering them over...using chocolate, shopping for new clothes, losing myself in work....anything to change the way I'm feeling. But I'm aware of what I'm doing now and I stop myself. when I'm down I'm down...and...it's ok. The next day may be better, who knows?

When I'm happy, I close my eyes and let it sink in. I let it wash right over me. I look around and notice the way things are, and try and create a snapshot in my mind of what it looks and feels like.

When I'm sad, I do almost the same thing except I no longer get lost in it. Life is tough sometimes, but I have so much to be very grateful for.

I'm strong. I'm vulnerable. I'm wise. I have so much to learn. I love and I allow myself to be loved.
Yes, a thousand times over.

That's the exhilarating part.

Beautiful post, Jeni.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Presumed?

Yup, its better to know for sure before lashing out. Kidding....

Refraining from lashing out is likely the best policy, yeah?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
p***enger

Damaged is damaged. That I spent decades hiding it from myself is atrocious enough.

I feel like a newborn. Scared and clumsy, just learning to stand. What is this world? The problem is, I'm not newborn. My past is with me, reminding me, beckoning me. "Just do what you used to".

Every step forward is a war.
I've been there -- still am, sometimes, trach. A couple of things that help me:

I fundamentally don't believe a person can be damaged, tho they can obviously see themselves that way. I used "damaged" as an excuse for too long to buy into it in recovery. Oh, don't trust me, don't rely on me, I'm damaged. I call ******** on myself now. I'm whole -- a whole alcoholic whatever else woman with all my past current and potential for the future. Thanks Rob for helping me understand that.

My past is never going to go away. I can resolve and stick with the resolution not to return to ways that I know are harmful to myself and others -- instead to *try* tto integrate what I gradually come to understand about my life including my past into a concept of myself that will help me just possibly live well for however long I have left.

Every moment is recovered from certain misery, 's way I see it when I'm at my best.

We're all in the same lifeboat, trach.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  
p***enger

trach, re lashing out -- I've had the experience sometimes after a certain waiting period of saying to a person, privately, something along the lines of -- "I didn't understand why you said that, & just want to know if it's personal. Are you mad at me? What's going on?"People more normal than I have said similar things to me. It's pretty freaky, communication, but it seems to work.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  
...holds the key

(((Trach)))

I feel like I've been run over by a train and feel like I need to take a break from such heavy introspection today and just let things be for the moment.

The posts from last night and today are timely and I can see myself growing in my understanding and ,dare I say acceptance , of real-time living and dealing with things as they are and not as I wish them to be.... be it the past or the here and now. It's hard and I can tell this is going to take come practice.

Thanks for all the shares y'all. I'm reading today and allowing myself the day to just be....no analyzing every feeling and judging it as good or bad. My mind and body need rest and for the first time in a long time I feel good enough about myself to WANT to take care of myself. I hope everyone can be gentle with themselves today.
Xoxo
Old 06-28-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Robby & Melissa
Old 06-28-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Hi Wolfie
Old 06-28-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello again Robby just wishing you a goodnight im off to bed soon

Spk tomorrow my friend
Old 06-28-2015, 05:17 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Good night all... I am having a bad day and need to sign off. Take care!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Hope you have a better night ((ArtFriend)))

And goodnight Wolfie.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:28 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Thanks Rob... Hope you and Melissa had a good day and also a good night! Talk to you tomorrow. Love.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Thanks for all the shares y'all. I'm reading today and allowing myself the day to just be....no analyzing every feeling and judging it as good or bad. My mind and body need rest and for the first time in a long time I feel good enough about myself to WANT to take care of myself. I hope everyone can be gentle with themselves today.
Xoxo
Awesome you WANT to take care of yourself. I remember when I first realized same for me in early sobriety. It was really a life changing realization.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
p***enger

How are *you* doing tonight, Rob? I like that we all chat about our respective ups & downs in the whole "living" thing, but you *are* the precious one here. What's percolating at the front -- or back -- of that mind of yours?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

I have been reading and continue to learn so much! Very grateful for you all.

I may be a bit more slack in posting, several issues going on including the fact that my anti-d is no longer working, so back to the dr.

A dear friend's mom died on Fri., another dear friend's cousin (who is like her sister) is dying of cancer, and I just found out a really good friend who I've known forever is being placed in the heart transplant list.

I will do whatever I can for her, though I still have to work and take care of all the cats I have (she's a huge animal lover, so understands). As it stands now, we are going to have a sleepover, she just has to name the time.

I will keep reading and learning, gaining inspiration from all of you, but just because I don't post, doesn't mean I don't care, as I do, greatly, for all of you.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-28-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

yes.

YES!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

wishing all a good evening or morning or whatever time of day you're at when you read it.
from muggy heat-wave BC.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hope you had a good visit with your brother, Robby.
Good night y'all.
Xoxo