Notices

Sohard here...

Old 01-13-2021, 07:33 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Congrats on day 6 Sohard, looks to me like you are doing a lot of positive things to keep this going. What is the "first major challenge" you reference in your previous email?
Hi Scott, this challenge will be visiting my mom from this Friday-Tuesday. We do enjoy drinking a couple of bottles of wine together. In my 476 days sobriety, I got used to not doing that with her, but in the past 5 months I have drank wine with her a few times so those cues are all tee'd up. I just have to remind myself it will get easier.

Admittedly, even once it got relatively easy to be with her at nights not having wine, I still missed it. I could lie, but what would be the point.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:57 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, the old habits and feelings we have die hard. Perhaps instead of viewing it as a challenge, you could simply view it as an opportunity to be with your mother. Alcohol or no alcohol, many people don't have the luxury of being around loved ones with all the things happening in the world, and many people have lost family members to the pandemic as well. Plan out some activities ahead of time and enjoy the company.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

This is terrifIc advice, Scott. THANK YOU.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:49 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Yes, the old habits and feelings we have die hard. Perhaps instead of viewing it as a challenge, you could simply view it as an opportunity to be with your mother. Alcohol or no alcohol, many people don't have the luxury of being around loved ones with all the things happening in the world, and many people have lost family members to the pandemic as well. Plan out some activities ahead of time and enjoy the company.

Again, I really appreciate this. I feel a little bit of a nervous weight off (just a little). Yes, I need to think of it POSITIVELY. I am not being deprived...I am getting time. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Keep it up Sohard. Welcome back!
Old 01-14-2021, 05:13 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luvchunk View Post
Keep it up Sohard. Welcome back!

Thank you! Day 7.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:43 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Day 7 is Coolio 😎! I've sent you a PM with an infographic which I found on SR, which I found beneficial when I last 'wanted' to drink. Sadly, it's contained within a commercial site, which is obviously against SR rules. I don't have time to cut, paste and credit now! Take care, and stay strong.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:38 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sohard View Post
Thank you! Day 7.
I'm day 5, Sohard. I'll be tracking your progress closely!
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Late to your thread but I’m caught up now. I’m so proud of you sohard. Keep writing, it helps you as well as others.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:42 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Day 7 is Coolio 😎! I've sent you a PM with an infographic which I found on SR, which I found beneficial when I last 'wanted' to drink. Sadly, it's contained within a commercial site, which is obviously against SR rules. I don't have time to cut, paste and credit now! Take care, and stay strong.
Just to qualify the above, Dee74 suggested PMing the infographic to people. I haven't breached any rules on SR. You are fortunate indeed to still have a Mum, plus to actually be able to visit her. Why not count your blessings? I found that wallowing in self-pity, that I couldn't be a 'normal social drinker' led me nowhere, but back to the bottle.

You write that you buy a whole bottle of vodka, pour some into a glass, then pour the rest of the bottle away - to stop you drinking it. If your Mum knew you'd reached that stage, would she still want you to drink with her?

This thread of yours is on the 'Best of SoberRecovery'. You posted almost a year ago, on 18 January 2020 when visiting your Mum: https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...p-quickly.html (Please help quickly...)

Old 01-14-2021, 05:08 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Drinking but I plan to start again tomorrow. I’m trying to pull myself out of the well. I disappeared for a good five months (thank you Obladi for caring enough to get me back) But it’s just hard. I had a disagreement with a friend and this is all I could think to do. I know that that’s just a stupid excuse my addiction used. But it’s so early in the game I was excited for the excuse. More than being upset about the big disagreement, I was thrilled because this gave me the drinking excuse. Truth.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:09 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I made five days and then seven days. I don’t know how that is supposed to jump to a lifetime. I have to believe it’s possible in order for it to be possible, but I don’t believe it’s possible. But I know I can believe that. I’ve done it before. I’m just trying to get there now.
Old 01-14-2021, 07:45 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

actually, you don’t have to believe it’s possible in order for it to be possible.
tons of things are possible without us believing they are
maybe it’s more like having to believe it’s possible so that this belief gets you motivated to put in the actions to make it happen?
and, you know, all lifetimes are built up of five days or seven days or one day and then adding another
Old 01-14-2021, 07:57 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Yup, luv. It is hard, really hard. You didn't put up much of a fight though, did you?

It is perfectly natural that a part of you wants to drink. No amount of trying or hoping or getting ready to be strong is going to have any impact on that part. You know this. I know you know this.

Are you at mom's now?
Old 01-14-2021, 08:01 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on a week SoHard. shows you can be sober.

I think finis post is especially good. I don't have to necessary believe something to take the correct next steps, you know?
Many days I remember 'no drinking for you today' was the best I could muster...it added to the total and got me to where I am today, where I know lifetime recovery is possible, and nothings a good enough excise to drink again.

D

Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Start again and come up with a plan to do a specific series of concrete actions when tempted to get past acute cravings.

Make a cup of tea, walk ten minutes, write stream of consciousness in a journal, take a shower etc. . .

You don’t have to believe anything to try harder, but do believe you are worth it.
We do
Old 01-15-2021, 05:15 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Good morning, friend

I dearly hope yesterday was a momentary lapse. You do not need to keep doing this, though when I was in that place I felt there was no other option. It's not true - there is another option. For me, I finally just needed the grit to hang on no matter what. That was so very uncomfortable - impossible to describe to someone who doesn't share our condition.

Dump what's left and take hold, woman. There's a lot of hands reaching out here that you can hang onto with all your might.

xo
O
Old 01-15-2021, 05:49 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
actually, you don’t have to believe it’s possible in order for it to be possible.
tons of things are possible without us believing they are
maybe it’s more like having to believe it’s possible so that this belief gets you motivated to put in the actions to make it happen?
and, you know, all lifetimes are built up of five days or seven days or one day and then adding another
Oh, this is really thought-provoking. Thank you so much.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:50 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
Good morning, friend

I dearly hope yesterday was a momentary lapse. You do not need to keep doing this, though when I was in that place I felt there was no other option. It's not true - there is another option. For me, I finally just needed the grit to hang on no matter what. That was so very uncomfortable - impossible to describe to someone who doesn't share our condition.

Dump what's left and take hold, woman. There's a lot of hands reaching out here that you can hang onto with all your might.

xo
O
Thanks, O. I'm here. Trying again.
Old 01-15-2021, 05:53 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
Start again and come up with a plan to do a specific series of concrete actions when tempted to get past acute cravings.

Make a cup of tea, walk ten minutes, write stream of consciousness in a journal, take a shower etc. . .

You don’t have to believe anything to try harder, but do believe you are worth it.
We do
Okay, concrete steps. This is a good idea. I'm thinking of things I could do. I like the shower idea. That appeals to the lazy person in me.