Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Notices

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Old 04-14-2020, 04:05 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Cow, I like your theory about the ideological culling. Therein lies the ultimate power battle, which of the sexes is actually more expendable...

I have nothing new to report as my only real hobby at this point is trying out new recipes. Not that anyone needs to know the details but so far I've made a pasta/lasagna type dish that starts on the stove and is then baked in the oven, shrimp scampi which led to an even better discovery of garlic shrimp with parmesan alfredo sauce, chipotle-honey chicken tacos, and now I want to attempt pulled pork (made in the slow cooker) for sandwiches with coleslaw and cornbread. Cooking wasn't a skill I learned growing up and I've experimented with various recipes since getting sober but am now really trying to master some basic ones I can confidently keep re-using.

I'm also thinking of possibly starting a creative project. I know most people, especially in the older age groups, look down on astrology as a childish fairy tale.. But even if that's true, I've always been a cynical opportunist. I think it's subtly becoming more widespread and I've always known there's the potential to make money (possibly big money) by finding ways to disperse it in mass amongst young people.
Old 04-14-2020, 04:52 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

It's also not entirely ideological, men are statistically more likely to be exposed or put themselves at risk due to their role as "bread winner". Is that still an essential role in today's day and age? In some cases yes, but usually not.

I was reading somewhere that minorities or marginalized groups are more likely to die if infected due to their lack of access to adequate healthcare.. So it's not that it's premeditated or these people "deserve" it in any way, but rather it points to things we can and should be willing to change as a society.
Old 04-14-2020, 07:47 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Sorry guys I think I might be losing my mind a bit and need to seriously cut back or take a break from this site and other forms of social media.. but just wanted to leave one last random article I found relevant. This really is a rare and important opportunity to re-evaluate what life could be like without the constant pressures of neoliberal consumerism.

https://forge.medium.com/prepare-for...g-6a8ce3f0a0e0

I saw someone write something on facebook along the lines of "it's funny how the economy is about to collapse because people are only buying what they need" and I think that's pretty accurate!
Old 04-15-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post

I was reading somewhere that minorities or marginalized groups are more likely to die if infected due to their lack of access to adequate healthcare.. So it's not that it's premeditated or these people "deserve" it in any way, but rather it points to things we can and should be willing to change as a society.
This!
Old 04-15-2020, 12:42 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

Originally Posted by Cow View Post

N2K, “thin the herd” is a rather cold phrase. I wouldn’t use anywhere that someone who might have a loved one affected might encounter it…
Sorry, that was my attempt at gallows humor. Too soon?

Yah, everyone probably knows someone. My own mother is 85, has Covid and is in the hospital.

Lots of people want to thin the herd. Just not via them or those they know.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:01 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Cos,

Dont take a break from us ....

XX
Old 04-15-2020, 03:51 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Cos, I read that same article and it jives with my thoughts, too. What a wonderful world people could be discovering and keeping once life goes back to "normal." Wouldn't that be a miracle? If there's a time that could ever happen, this is it.

And too, I think the author's thesis reinforces your observations about particular demographics being especially at risk, and perhaps this is a time we might actually give changing that reality an actual serious thought. The US health system is completely unjust not to mention unconscionable.

Yeah, please don't leave on our account!

N2K, yes too soon. Never would have been too soon for such gallows "humor." Not sure how Courage could have made it any plainer. I don't think there's any way you can make it better or soften the blow at this point...
Old 04-15-2020, 05:40 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  
p***enger

Humans are social animals, not herd animals. Even the Cow herself.

& I believe it's called gallows humor when the joker is the one on the gallows.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

From Google:

gal·lows hu·mor
/ˈɡalōz ˈ(h)yo͞omər/
noun
grim and ironic humor in a desperate or hopeless situation.

The joker in this case, has an 85 year old mother with the disease.

Also from Merriam:

Twitter is currently full of gallows humor about a global pandemic. — Helena ...

But if you have to explain it, that is the definition of not good.

Sorry for stirring up trouble in your salon Cow. Par for the course though, eh?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:25 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

Need2Know, I send my very best wishes that your mother recovers soon 🤗.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:33 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes for your mom Need2Know

I hope you reconsider leaving Cos - everyone's a bit on edge these days but I still believe most of us mean well.

D
Old 04-16-2020, 04:51 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee but I don’t feel it’s healthy for me to be here at this point. I love all of you guys but need to take a step back from this place to deal with my own issues. And honestly this forum has become an addiction of its own kind and it gives me more anxiety than anything else.. So it’s not any of you but really I have to try to stop posting for at least a month or so.
Old 04-16-2020, 04:54 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Administrator

I support whatever you think is best Cos. See you down the road a ways

D
Old 04-16-2020, 06:32 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Big hugs Cos
We are here if you need us
Old 04-17-2020, 12:31 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Cosima, I do hope you resolve some issues soon. Take great care of yourself ❤️.
Old 04-17-2020, 12:40 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Tatsy,

I came accross your "orginal" thread from last Summer over in Secular.

Made me think of you and how great you are doing.

Great job on that.

X
Old 04-17-2020, 06:14 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Drops, thank you dear friend. I'm very grateful for your support during my dark time last year ❤️. I do hope the you are well. X
Old 04-17-2020, 04:53 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
The lock down is pretty comfortable for me, too. It removes all the pre-Corona pressure of feeling like I should get “out there” and “do more” or I should be more social, even though I don’t really want to. In essence, it kind of makes my preferred lifestyle mandatory. It brings all my friends down to the level of my typical existence. It makes me not only normal, but actually perhaps more well-adapted to the current situation than they are!

N2K, “thin the herd” is a rather cold phrase. I wouldn’t use anywhere that someone who might have a loved one affected might encounter it… but yeah. Just like any other animal, the Earth can only take so much overpopulation before putting a check on it. The sick and elderly are always nature’s first targets, but I find it interesting that more men are dying than women. Is it because they don’t give birth and are more biologically expendable? I kind of like the notion that it is maybe an ideological culling, making way for an era of female driven values.

Hope all y’all are hanging in there.

It isn't ideological. In fact in other diseases the opposite is true. Women are often more susceptible to serious illness or death by flus. The widely accepted scientific hypothesis for COVID-19 is that estrogen is protective for some reason, and women have more estrogen than men. This phenomenon is also observed in other species that are non-human, including some types of birds, with different diseases.

Also, there are lifestyle factors, such as men being more likely to smoke cigarettes, which was observed especially in Asia, I don't know about the West where gender roles are less traditional.

But it's been shown that men are more frequently extremely ill even if more women actually catch COVID-19 in parts of the US, and that it does have some innate biological component, other than Asian men smoking more heavily than Asian women. Again everything I have seen points to estrogen.

It is interesting to me though that it could potentially ideologically lead to more feminine values in the long term. It's also interesting to me that conservatives are seemingly more willingly to endanger themselves and their families to exposure in the US than moderates, independents and liberals, and that could also result in a culling of conservative ideology in the US at least. Not to get political but it's true. Some are flagrantly putting themselves and other people in danger, acting like the pandemic is made-up or exaggerated, it's gotten especially ridiculous in the past week - thankfully nowhere physically near me.
Old 04-17-2020, 05:54 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  
All is Change

relax ...

when i feel as if I'm loosing my mind (which from a buddhist viewpoint is where it's at!) I work on focus (or concentration) like this :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5ii6R6LTM

and try to stretch that mindfulness to an hour and on. In time when the focus is stronger, doing what may have seemed un-balancing becomes easier and then, relax into the lost mind.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:58 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

Originally Posted by Tatsy View Post
Need2Know, I send my very best wishes that your mother recovers soon ��.
Thanks Tasty!

She is on a good trajectory. She was just released (forced out of) the hospital because her temperature has been normal. She is in some kind of half way house hell hole now though. We can't get her back to her apartment.

No one can visit her. She is confused. Not good mentally. But apparently survived the virus.

Yea?