Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Notices

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Old 03-25-2020, 06:31 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Hey back at ya, Dee!
Old 03-25-2020, 09:08 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Hey Everyone.

Practicing social distancing (we have a shelter in place order here) and thought I d drop and say hello ************
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

has anyone had their medications shipped to them from places like Walgreens or cvs? I'm trying to respect the "stay home" request, but I need to pick up my meds .
Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm going to do that tomorrow BD.
I need Ventolin and Seretide (asthma drugs) so I wonder if I'll have a wait.

Different country of course
Will let you know
Old 03-26-2020, 07:23 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hey Courage

I hope you are doing ok. I am thinking of NYC. I've only been there once, don't really know more than 1 person that lives there and haven't talked to her since this started.

Anxiety is contagious. It's like a slow tightening of a rubber band with each statistic, each news report, each new case, every siren. Your posts have that same feel as Mera's in Italy. That sudden and slow, all at the same time, realization that shlit's gettin real.

It seems the very nature of New Yorkers that makes them such, well, New Yorkers, isn't working as well in a pandemic setting. If its a war, or a bomb, or Aliens I'll take team NYC. But making New Yorkers stop 'being' New Yorkers, thems fightin words. Now I could have that all wrong. NYC has pulling together down to a fine art form, but separating and dispersing? Not only is it not even possible based on how 'life' flows, but its so not 'natural' or that's how it appears to me.

Now you are reading the words of an Idahoan, former Californian. Whatever that mish mash is. I may be just spewing garbage and totally wrong. And hopefully I'm not offending you.

I very much empathize with people whose ability to put food on the table depends on them taking the subway to work. I can't even imagine.

But hopefully folks will start to really stay at home and the number of cases will start to drop.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:40 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  

My wife was able to get my meds shipped to me. I couldn't figure out how to do it. I hate computers. Dear God, I HATE computers.

I have a great wife.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:25 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

My local pharmacy wanted $156 for a month's supply of my anti-psychotic, so I get it from Costco by mail for $27 for THREE months. My wife is on Medicare, and she seems to be doing okay with mail-order service from (I think) CVS. I have a three month supply just refilled.

There are now two known cases of COVID-19 on the island, the second being someone in the same household as the first case. We went to the market yesterday, and had to wait about 20 minutes before being allowed in. We got most of the items on our list, and should be set for two weeks but could last two months in a pinch.

I just made hummingbird juice. I am not sure that we do nature any favors by putting this out. For one thing, there is a certain little black cat (our "Nalu") that likes to hide in the bushes below the feeder and wait for the hummingbirds to fly low. But my wife likes the idea of feeding them.

Courage2, I wish you the best in the city there! Stay safe and healthy, everyone!
Old 03-26-2020, 01:08 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I bought this really fancy bar of soap with a hilarious label (one of those joke soaps you buy in a gift shop) and I was using it as decoration. I decided to open it for hand-washing so I wouldn't waste my liquid bath soap (which can double for doing laundry in the sink) and I must say, it's a nice large bar of soap with an extremely pleasant smell. I guess that makes it easier to wash hands frequently.

Annoyed with my old roommate talking about what a "burden" it was for him to get his replacement to sign the lease before she moved in...he's seriously 20 years old and went back to stay with his parents so I am not sure what the hell he means by "busy" or "burden"...but I'm so glad he did go far away, lest I hit him upside the head for being a spoiled brat, with my fancy bar of soap.

Things are getting settled here now. The new roommate seems nice. I'm grateful for that.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:02 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I haven't been outside of my apartment in NYC for 4 days now and just went out today around 3pm, to hopefully enjoy the beautiful weather a bit. Not again this time of day for a while! There are still people everywhere, often in groups, often 2-3+, many with dogs, walking in a horizontal line on the sidewalks so you have to step into the bike or car lanes to get some distance and go over them. Then there was a guy coming near me and talking to me. These things are normal in a normal NYC life, but I can't stop being astonished how (and how many) people still don't seem to get it... it is so frustrating and makes me feel like yelling at them out loud. It killed my mood for some sunshine completely and I came back home after ~15 minutes. I knew it probably would not be a good idea to go out in the middle of the day, and certainly will not attempt it again for a while, however nice the weather or strong my urge in a moment to get out.

There is no better time to learn or exercise self-control than now, if anyone is interested in a crash course - the problem is that so many don't seem interested in it
Old 03-26-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
p***enger

Aellyce, I'm sorry you had that experience. Different neighborhoods are no doubt quite different. I'm amazed by how hard the people in my neighborhood are trying to keep their distance. We're all veering away from one another on sidewalks -- even walking in the streets, which is otherwise a deadly game -- but there's little traffic. Taking turns riding elevators, one at a time

Then think of the people in public housing projects. Maybe that's why Queens and Brooklyn have it so bad.
Originally Posted by entropy1964 View Post
NYC has pulling together down to a fine art form, but separating and dispersing? Not only is it not even possible based on how 'life' flows, but its so not 'natural' or that's how it appears to me.
I think you've hit it, entropy. for understanding.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Yes courage, my neighborhood this afternoon definitely didn't look like the picture you posted. I moved here a while ago in part because I wanted a livelier neighborhood with a lot of things going on and accessible in a few minutes - not such an advantage now. People also don't do that with the elevator where I live. Oh well, I will just go out early in the morning when I want

What I really like is the strong community spirit and realism where I work. Not only a great community, lots of support etc, but my departments announced that all salaries are fixed and no one can lose their job during this crisis. I didn't fear that myself, but I know many did, and it's a great burden off their shoulders. I have always loved the organization, why I have stayed there in the last ~10 years even when part of me really wanted to do something else and somewhere else for the novelty, and it stands up to my experiences now, too.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

How now, my purple cow?

I feel at a distinct advantage because I was already prepared to have to really switch things up after my recent Colossal Collapse and Subsequent Plan to Rise like the Proverbial Phoenix. So now instead of it being just me who has to do everything differently and practice the true meaning of the Serenity Prayer, I've got millions of people who could be getting right on board in recognizing that we are pretty much powerless over Every Single Thing aside from our own actions and reactions.

Which sounds rather grim (and perhaps vindictive?), but I actually find it to be enormously comforting.

O
Old 03-27-2020, 01:14 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

I don't know if anyone here has seen or shared this resource, but a website that has meditations, short yoga practice videos, soothing music, and other helpful tools is offering some of their things completely for free, and a couple of them I think are designed specifically for the pandemic:

https://blog.calm.com/take-a-deep-breath

Also, if you go to their main website, you can get 7 days free to look at and use everything they have. Just make sure you cancel somewhere around day 6-7 so you don't have to pay for a year's subscription (unless you want to!)
Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
p***enger

Unexpected lockdown side effect: My internal clock is shifting to what is, I suppose, its natural state. I don't fall asleep until after 3 a.m., eat dinner later and later, get up after noon. It's 6:30 p.m. and I'm just deciding whether to take a nap before lunch or try to get some work done.

Is anyone else experiencing similar?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:32 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you got the meds sorted out BD - I actually got mine delivered personally from the pharmacy and they don't do home delivery...

kindness of strangers and all that
D
Old 03-27-2020, 04:03 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

C2, don't you usually stay up till midnight or so anyway? I've been staying up till 9PM! So late! It could just be the Daylight Savings thing though. I'd rather be up early in the mornings. When I drank I stayed up late every night...no more. Staying up late leads to nighttime eating too, which isn't good for me.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:52 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
p***enger

1 a.m. or so. But give me another month of this-- which looks like the way it will be at a minimum -- and I'll be living like
Old 03-27-2020, 09:44 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
1 a.m. or so. But give me another month of this-- which looks like the way it will be at a minimum -- and I'll be living like
You and my nocturnal 13 year old should hang out.

She has been nocturnally based since the day she was born. Any day off, she lapses immediately into nighttime mode. She will stay awake of course for school and life but it has never, ever been her preferred time.

My theory? Some humans are wired to be awake at night, some at day: so that someone was always on guard to watch the village.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:53 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

^I've always preferred to sleep during the day like a vampire. I appreciate the evolutionary theory on that.. it's been explained to me as "delayed sleep phase syndrome" in which my circadian rhythm will always naturally gravitate back towards nighttime hours. I thought working nights would be a natural fit, but honestly it just cements the problem and makes me feel even more alienated from society. With no set hours my sleep schedule seems to have actually improved. So if anything this break is making me seriously not want to go back to my bar job. Which is now looking like it might be shut down much longer than expected anyway, but we shall see I guess..
Old 03-28-2020, 04:55 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Just to vent a bit (my sleep schedule clearly hasn't improved entirely) my optimism seems to have taken a sharp decline as the end date of all this becomes more and more uncertain. Schools have closed for the rest of the school year here. My friends in Vegas (an 8 hour drive) have invited me to come stay with them for a bit or until this blows over. I'm sort of considering it. I can't rely solely on this guy I'm seeing for human interaction, and this situation is sort of showing me I do have friends here but not the kind that are basically like family. It's hard to picture another whole month of this level of isolation.

Of course I also feel I can and should be using this time to do something productive. Real estate is considered an essential service, there's one person I've been talking to who still seems interested in listing and/or buying.. but I can't be entirely sure he's not just wasting my time as he also asked earlier to take me out to dinner. So not really counting on it but I could still take incoming calls about properties during very brief "shifts" from home. Or I could finally start working on some form of social media marketing for myself.. but still hesitate to try that, especially at this time.

So what does that leave? I've had a lot of fleeting and ridiculous ideas including maybe making some kind of app.. That's always been a lofty and impractical goal of mine, to pay someone who knows how to code to make an app I've merely only thought about in my imagination. But again who knows how worth it that would be. I'm sure everyone else feels the same way but it's just getting difficult to find my center of gravity as all of this is pretty disorienting..