Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Notices

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Old 04-03-2020, 10:30 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
I’m pretty much down to just meat, olive oil, sparse vegetables like cabbage, romaine, Kim chi, etc. and I have never felt better or stronger in life.

Well, maybe a little stronger while I was CrossFit active, but yesterday I mowed a huge paddock with an electric push mower in the sun, cleared brush, etc. for hours and felt great.

I’ve lost so much visceral fat and inflammation. For me, meat heals
Hawk,
My 21 year old middle daughter; who has a French name and the looks and attitude to match is now eating only eggs, meat and salt.

She was keto for a couple years, then gradually started eating a lot of beans, oats and bread.

A couple months later, she developed a hive like eczema appearing rash all over her neck.

She tried cutting out dairy, then wheat, when things got worse she stripped it down to meat and eggs.

It’s now less red, more pink, and has some scales as if it is healing.

She needs to see an allergist, but we have been sheltering in place since 3/16 in our state. She’s going to wait until all this is over.

Her elimination diet experience has been interesting, though.

And my oldest kid is now hiding our organic backyard eggs because middle daughter eats too many at one time, so we need to make a Costco run at some point.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:19 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

If you check out some of the carnivore podcasts and facebook sites on carnivore, you can find case after case of severe skin issues, IBS, joint pain, obesity, diabetes, etc. etc. reversed by what is in effect, the most minimal of elimination diets.

People also have found mental issues such as bipolar, brain fog, anxiety, etc. also much better. And finally, it seems to really help many people finally beat their addiction issues. I know I have never felt less desire or cravings to drink since I started drinking.

Not advocating anything here--but remember who pays for all these big nutritional studies. Big food, which wants us all to buy their cereals, highly processed food, and to ingest pounds of high fructose corn syrup per capita to line their pockets and get us to the doctor so Big pharma can cash in on our illness.

Not a cynic or anything
Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
p***enger

Your food choices are fascinating! Food has never been a salient substance for me. A whole realm of pleasure missing from my life. But I exploited the heck out of the other available realms

Originally Posted by Cow View Post
I may have instead gone on a bit of a walkabout with coffee and chocolate and wine ...oh my! Soooo easy to slide back into it, soooo hard to pull out.
((Cow)) I get it. I encourage you not to do that again. Thoughts of drinking are bubbling up for me, too. I associate severe isolation with my active alcoholism, so methinks I should be drunk now.

Anyway, I'm not drinking, & hope none of us are.

One technique developed after a foray into relapse -- I built a little iron box in my brain with no door or hinges, with room for thoughts of drinking to bounce off the walls, but not to develop into imaginings or plans, or communicate with the rest of me. Works ok.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you, C2. I went searching for your last post earlier in hopes that you were/are still safe.

I have not thought about drinking to get through this even one time. I actually haven't seriously entertained sugar thoughts either, which is good. Low-er carb keeps my brain quiet-er. Much needed right now...keeping the thoughts contained seems to be a fulltime deal. I'm down to one cup of coffee, and that's just to stave off caffeine withdrawal. Half in the morning, other half at noon. Even one full cup of coffee is too stimulating.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi bim I'm glad you're taking good care of that big dear brain.

On one of my two daily forays into the world, I buy a latte. I don't actually actually want one -- I'm actually quite sick of them by now -- but I want to check in and give some business to those of my locally-owned neighborhood shops that make espresso and haven't shut down, yet. The Sicilian immigrant whose 80 year old mama is still in the old country is my favorite. I tip lavishly and he gives the tip to the Mexican who works for him. He also makes great cole slaw.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:03 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Cow, it is a strange concept. I could never stick with the gym either, but found a great hot yoga studio that has both slower meditative classes and more intense, sort of boot camp style fitness classes.. which I had only recently started doing. Combined with loud music and the slightly delirious effect of being in a heated room, it's honestly the exact same feeling I used to get going out to drink and dance (which I always thought was a bit National Geographic objectively speaking as well).. Except now it's less embarrassing, and I feel better afterwards rather than worse.

entropy, I'm 29, old enough to have already gotten my sh*t together years ago! I could feel sorry for myself, considering I graduated high school during the last financial crisis.. got myself into debt for an education I don't use (by following my parents advice based on what they did in a very different economy), and then chose to support myself with jobs (in the restaurant/bar industry) that have no benefits whatsoever. But I know there's no one else to blame for my current situation, really.

And even if the housing market does crash.. I'm trying not to be too morose about it because there's always another opportunistic angle to take. It'll be good for first time buyers and investors. And since investment is the real path I'm eventually trying to take, I figure I can still get myself into a much better long term position by 35.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Maybe I should clarify so no one thinks I'm still chasing a dangerously addictive high.. there was a time where I could (usually) drink in moderation, and "partying" was still fun and relatively innocent. That's the time and feeling I'm referring to, I know it's never coming back with alcohol but it's been a pleasant surprise to realize I can still find it other ways.

And I really don't want to speak too soon, but it's still looking like this person I'm talking to might be serious about wanting to list his ( relatively expensive in this market) property. I've just sent him a more precise price estimate so fingers crossed he actually wants to do it before the full economic consequences of this thing take effect.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Its funny, yesterday I thought well at least if I was drinking I would have something fun to do.

But drinking isn't something you do -- you read a book, play a game.. drinking alcohol is just a way to change the way you feel while the doing of things. And at least for me, drinking meant I did less, worse, and in the end had less fun.

But still the mind returns... and as always I put it back in its crazy place.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

I found out an old friend/co-worker has died of "natural causes". Can't help but think it was probably alcohol related as he did drink excessively and I can't imagine what else that could possibly mean for someone in his 20's that the family wouldn't be willing to say. Don't know why it's affecting me so much but I just find it to be really tragic. There was sort of a mutual romantic interest at one time but in the height of my alcoholism I was in no position to keep it together enough to see where that might've led. In astrology terms.. his Sun was conjunct my Moon and it really was a meaningful and genuine connection lol. It also really seemed like he was going to be fine with his drinking and I was the one headed for complete destruction. I'm grateful to be sober but very sad this was the end of the road for him.

On another note, yesterday there was a very small bird that fell into my (rarely ever used) fireplace. It refused to go outside, flew around my kitchen and slept on top of my cupboards in the corner. I got it outside eventually but I've always liked birds and it made me want a pet. And that's literally the only other noteworthy thing that's happened in days.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:39 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

That sucks, Cos.

I have a bird story too. Yesterday at dawn, a mockingbird and her fuzzy little fledgling jumped onto my balcony railing from the tree that grows in front of it. I hadn't even realized there was a nest in it. Mom marched the youngster over to the side, clear of the tree and tried to nudge him off. But he was NOT HAVING IT!!! It was so funny. She finally flew away leaving him there alone. I spent the next half hour enthralled. At least 50 times, he would look like he was about to jump, but then chicken out. He was looking down. Crying. Faffing about with his wings. Finally, (and I'm sure my cheering "You can do it!" was a big part of it ) he leaned forward and dropped off the balcony. I ran to the window to see him crash land in another tree a few yards away. Mom was on the roof watching the whole time and went right after him. What a treat to behold! Later he was back in his nest cheaping away.

Hawk, I am pretty much all meat and meat fats, except for one small orange per day, and sometimes 1/2 an avocado or micro sprouts, and a bit of cheese. It's definitely getting interesting. A bit fraught, but I think it might work. I am going to see it through for at least 4 months in the hopes of getting off my seizure meds.

How are all y'all doing?
Old 04-07-2020, 10:36 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Aww cute!

Just to keep story time going I have another one, when I was a kid my sister and a neighborhood friend decided to “rescue” a baby bird that had fallen out of its nest. The problem being it was still too young to eat solid foods. But I was holding it on my deck and the mother bird actually came and landed on my arm and fed the baby. So that’s something I’ll never forget..

I feel bad about this recent bird situation cause I think it was traumatized by the fall into my fireplace. I made matters worse by assuming it might be a mouse at first so I made sure the latch was secure (loud clanking) and made it sit in there trapped while I figured out what to do.

In my later efforts to get it outside I felt like the antagonist in a horror movie. At one point it was hiding behind the curtains, totally still and quiet.. I almost couldn’t tell if it was still there or not but crept up slowly to pull the curtain back.. it then freaked the f out.

Is that what parenting is like? Lol. Cow I hope your diet really can help you to get off your meds, it’s amazing how huge of an influence dietary changes can have for health purposes (I say as I eat my late dinner of “dessert bars”).
Old 04-08-2020, 07:45 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Good morning!

Aw bird stories! I have so many. Some happy, some sad. Seems I'm always trying to rescue something....birds and dogs seem to be my primary patients. I think if I try to share them now I'll cry.

I will say that I have seen no ducklings on my walks yet. I'm not sure why, there should be many. Last year it was the end of March and they were everywhere. I have seen all the ducks do their love dance and their nesting. But no babies. Hmmmmm.

I am SOOOOO tired of having people in my house. Blahhhhh. This is one time I simply wish I had a safe place. On a positive note the kitchen back splash looks amazing. I've never done anything like this before and I am pretty proud of my selections (pats self on back). But damn I wish they'd get rolling. My daughter is dying to come home. I am glad she's has finally stayed with her dad for more than a few days. I think now he sees, hey kids eat and I have to buy groceries. He actually commented on it....I'm like, yeah, now you know how I've felt for 19 years. During the summer my cost of living would double. And I'm the vacation person too. Although don't have to worry about that at this moment.

My kiddo and her dad have to put their puppy down today. She was all distraught because vets aren't allowing folks in, its drop off only. So we called around and found a service where they come to the house. So they are doing it at 5 today. My heart breaks for them. He's such a sweet boy but he has been kept alive way too long and at this point its really a must. I'm glad its not my fur babies. My cat is so old and has arthritis. He had some kinda weird freak out day before yesterday....like his legs were cramping or something. It was terrifying. He was literally screaming and hissing. A millions thoughts were going through my head in the 30 seconds it was happening. Poor lil guy. But after a bit he settled down, sort of, then I was able to pick him up and comfort him, which is hard to do with an angry main coon who weighs like 21 lbs. He could rip my face off if he wanted. Jesus. Scared the hell outta me. He's back to his grumpy, limpy self. Living in this one room with him, I've never realized how much he uses the kitty litter. It is truly disgusting. Can't wait till he can hobble outside and use the back yard. Yikes.

Ok wow. That was a long and pointless post. Gonna do yoga. Love to all of you! Oh and I have a great possum story. I'll have to share those. Yes, so exciting, I know you can't wait. Hahahaha.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:17 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

Hi Cow and Friends! Already on page 7, post 133! I guess I am late to the party again.

I am happy to say that the home lock down (NYS) has been great for me. I am finding a silver lining in the virus dark cloud. I am enjoying having my kids home all day everyday. It is great bonding time. A windfall of time with them before they are gone for good. They are teenagers.

My lovely wife and I are getting along great too. Best in years. Any port in a storm, I guess. I'll take it!

We always did get along best the more we were together. She needs a lot of attention and if we are together 24/7 I can give it to her. It is like being on vacation together but without spending a fortune. We have all the food we could want, a large comfortable home with acres of land to enjoy and enough fond feeling left between us to make it almost idyllic.

I still work from home as much as I ever did at the office. I am not exercising at all though. I can't play hockey. I can't run bc I injured myself in the last hockey game I did play. I sometime don't even get out of my pajamas for days.

I did go off the wagon for a long weekend. Boredom has always been a lure to drink for me. I did not enjoy it as much as I though and it was not as much of a relief from boredom as I expected either. Plus the taste of it was repulsive. Strange.

Funny that here in NYS, liquor stores are considered exempt from the lock down. Essential businesses! My wife would argue that the beauty salon is far more essential.
Old 04-13-2020, 08:42 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

So quiet!

Is it something I said?

I do know that I shouldn't let on too much that I'm really enjoying social distancing and sheltering in place. I am sociable enough with people I know and like but have always hated having to make small talk and exchange pleasantries with strangers in public. Now I can go to the store and not even look at the other shoppers, much less speak to them. No one expects me to go out, I can stay home almost all of the time. This is great.

#Thintheherd
Old 04-13-2020, 09:28 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

We're doing fine here too. I love not having a job, and am getting to more AA meetings now that I don't have to drive to get there. I have started an exercise regime, involving not leaving my little two acres. We jumped in the ocean (47˚ F water temp) the other day for a spiritual cleansing.

My wife had a minor meltdown when she had trouble refilling her muscle relaxers and her back was spasming. She told the nurse over the phone if she didn't get her pills she'd start drinking again (we're both sober 7 years). She finally got them. I understand where she was coming from to some extent: I rely on my anti-psychotic prescription, and treat those somewhat addictively. But on the other hand, I am able to manage my pills so I don't run out.

I'm not noticing any changes in wildlife behavior. The deer are always welcome in our yard. I guess there are fewer airplanes flying over.

I hope all of you are happy and healthy!
Old 04-13-2020, 10:08 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  

I have noticed that the baby ducks are late. That or I'm completely wrong but I'm pretty sure they were all here big time by now....believe it was end of March last year. I miss them.
Old 04-13-2020, 12:23 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Pastafarian

I have way more birds at my feeder this year than normal. Even before the virus lock down. Its been very warm here.

Since I've been home the last three weeks, I've been feeding them three or four times a day. More food. More special foods. Word has gotten out. I'm very popular with the bird community right now.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:34 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

I prefer bird popularity to people popularity too Need.

I also love being at home(s) and realize that retirement will be an excellent thing, not a void without structure as I feared. Drinking is more off the table than ever. I always figured showing up to my job was a mainstay of my sobriety, but my sobriety has grown and has stronger roots than only that now.

I've got about 40 more work weeks whether at home or on campus (not concurrent as I'm an academic), not that I'm counting or anything
Old 04-13-2020, 04:18 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

The lock down is pretty comfortable for me, too. It removes all the pre-Corona pressure of feeling like I should get “out there” and “do more” or I should be more social, even though I don’t really want to. In essence, it kind of makes my preferred lifestyle mandatory. It brings all my friends down to the level of my typical existence. It makes me not only normal, but actually perhaps more well-adapted to the current situation than they are!

N2K, “thin the herd” is a rather cold phrase. I wouldn’t use anywhere that someone who might have a loved one affected might encounter it… but yeah. Just like any other animal, the Earth can only take so much overpopulation before putting a check on it. The sick and elderly are always nature’s first targets, but I find it interesting that more men are dying than women. Is it because they don’t give birth and are more biologically expendable? I kind of like the notion that it is maybe an ideological culling, making way for an era of female driven values.

Hope all y’all are hanging in there.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:47 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
p***enger

It's likely there are people reading this thread who have a loved one affected by COVID-19. I know several people who have it, have had it, or have family members sick, one whose father is intubated.

A wild hyena thins a herd of gazelles by attacking a weak one, crippling it in increments by taking bites on the fly, ripping chunks of flesh from its legs and thighs as it flees until it falls. It's not an interesting thought-experiment for the gazelle. One of these days, every one of us will be the gazelle.

Peace, out.