Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Notices

Cow’s Corona Corner – A Place for Alcoholics to Isolate Together

Old 03-28-2020, 07:38 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

I'm glad I didn't offend Courage. I'm not a New Yorker, obviously, so just my observation. Its a great time to be an Idahoan. Actually, it always is, I love it here. But I have tremendous empathy for you guys. Not even being able to go for walks without being around a bunch of people. I only saw 2 people, far off in the distance, yesterday. I had to take my kid shopping for her dad's house yesterday and even the store was pretty quiet. And people were being very respectful of the distancing, for the most part.

Cosima I'm so surprised that Real Estate is considered essential. I'm pretty sure thats closed here. Hardware stores and construction material is open here, which is good, so I was able to get my shower tile. But I'm hoping I now have all the materials to complete my project....which my contractor seems to have forgotten. Ugh. I'm going have a little talk with him next week about getting the downstairs completed. No more of this 'chipping away' as he calls it. Bang it out bro. haha.

Have a great day All.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:52 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  
p***enger

g'day.
Old 03-28-2020, 09:26 AM
  # 103 (permalink)  

G’day bunny

Whadaya recon’ ?
Old 03-28-2020, 12:28 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Hawkeye. Going to try to get some work done today because it seems to help my mood. I zoomed with one of my classes of students, and they did a show-and-tell of their pets, which was nice. One said she's lives in the 'hood in the Bronx, and the shelves are full because so many are unemployed that they're not buying.

Thinking I might reach out to one of my colleagues -- maybe he'd even like to do a weekly chat about getting research done. Maybe it's helpful to have a non-virus focal point around every day. Besides checking the daily stats.

I was imagining drinking through all this. It would be grotesque. But I expect a lot of people are doing it.

How about you?
Old 03-28-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I posted in another thread about how DIFFICULT it would be to be drinking through this. Besides trying to stock up, there would be the question of what kind of weird things I might do when sensible thinking was out the window!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:00 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

I'm actually pretty good--I have a teaching, not research, focus and so am grinding along. One of my classes was a mid-semester 8 week online anyway, so little change. The other was clinical, so having to move to contracts / portfolio as some just can't do clinical (teaching component) with no classroom or students.

The other one, though, is kind of sad as it was a gender class and the tangible connection was the magic, but that is more or less gone.

I'm just starting to organize a huge backlog of delayed projects and clean-up of my life-in-general which I've been too busy working to fix after two decades of drinking. It feels very odd not to go to the office after 20 plus years, but honestly, I'm making use of the extra time pretty well so far.

Mentally feeling good, physically getting thinner and fitter on very low / zero carb lifestyle. Lots of the inflammation I've had for years has healed up, and I actually am not far from having visible abs with actual muscle on them visible.

I theoretically could be "bikini ready" in a month or so, which feels very odd, but I do live most of the time on a lovely lake, so why not?

No urge to drink these days. Just done with it. I feel less stress than many because I'm used to isolation anyway, and I've grown up careening from crisis to crisis with my alcoholic mother, so this situation isn't as hard for me as for many. I can't bear to watch orange-hair man on the TV, or listen to his voice, but I expect I'm not alone in that.

I'm very worried how things are going in your city bunny--what's all this about "quarantine" Trump-style?
Old 03-28-2020, 05:44 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
p***enger

You sound good, Hawk! Post us a shot of those abs!!

Re isolation, I'm finding that I want to isolate far less than I did as a drinker -- less and less over sober time. It's exciting to connect with other human beings, even if I'm not too good at it (decades without practice ). Yesterday I had a lovely chinwag with two lively little old ladies (LLOL) on a Privately Owned Public Space (POPS) bench 6 ft from mine. And it's a good way to learn things.

About quarantine, at first I was going to write that the horse has already bolted. But on second thought, there are still 14-or-so million of us here, and we're a threat to the rest of you in the US. So if I could shut down the roads out of NY, I would.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:42 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Yeah we can't do open houses but can still do showings and listings and pretty much everything else (which when it comes down to it is a lot of referring and working with other companies to navigate through the process). I sort of understand cause I don't think they can just terminate deals that were already under contract and if you keep some parts of it going the rest have to be open too. The market was really "hot" and prices are still remaining steady (here at least) but mortgage rates are really volatile now. I was planning on buying a house but was partially wanting to wait longer to see if the market would crash or swing in the other direction, and I think this might do it. Although not yet it seems.

I think the uncertainty and lack of any real schedule are bothering me more than the isolation. I went on a long hike again today and felt better afterwards and mostly relieved to not have any real social obligations. And I can still stay in touch with people via texting or phone. Although I talked to my other friend/coworker/potential client today and she's convinced the whole thing is a government conspiracy designed to take away all our rights, leading up to some sort of global New World Order type of event. So that was a comforting perspective lol. Ugh I guess everyone is panicking in their own ways but I refuse to get dragged into the doomsday predictions.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:49 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Although I talked to my other friend/coworker/potential client today and she's convinced the whole thing is a government conspiracy designed to take away all our rights, leading up to some sort of global New World Order type of event. So that was a comforting perspective lol. Ugh I guess everyone is panicking in their own ways but I refuse to get dragged into the doomsday predictions.

Good grief. Too much internet, social media, fox news, 24 hours news.

I'm gonna do yoga and breath deeply. That's my solution to everything right now!
Old 03-29-2020, 06:42 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hey y'all. How about some funnies?
Old 03-29-2020, 10:54 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I should be doing yoga but haven’t been sticking to it at home. I’ve been eating extra sugar instead. I think I might actually be a little angry about all of this currently. It’s like the memes saying “I finally got my **** together and now the world ends”. That’s kind of how I’m feeling. Like I was finally in a really good place emotionally and physically, had exciting plans set in motion, was about to start seeing some of my long standing efforts pay off... and now this changes everything. But that’s life sometimes.

courage, I couldn’t help but laugh at your comment in O’s thread (which I’ve read but don’t feel I should be posting much in my current self-pitying state of mind) about being force fed liquor.. so thanks for that!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:09 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know a lot of peoples plans and visions of the future hand in the balance at the moment.

I still have optimism tho that this period of pain uncertainty and fear will end, and I have hope that we'll learn some really positive lessons from this.

D
Old 03-30-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Cosima11 View Post
being force fed liquor.. so thanks for that!
Don't get me started, please.....
Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

I've definitely had some mood swings about the whole situation but hopefully I'm making peace with it now. I'm sure once I'm working again I'll be wishing the break had been longer. Hiking is keeping me sane, and also keeping me from gaining a million pounds. I tried going on a difficult up-hill hike earlier after eating literally nothing but doughnuts all day... it wasn't pleasant. I'm reminded that might be the real reason my diet improved along with my exercise routine, not because I care about the weight aspect but because it's physically a lot harder to work out after eating terribly.

Interesting. Hope everyone else is doing well..
Old 03-30-2020, 09:25 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Cos,

My daughter has a sign in her room with the classic "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." We got a chuckle yesterday by substituting COVID19 because COVID19 is really what happens when you are busy making other plans. Thought of you.

We are blessed to have each other.

Take care,

Drops
Old 03-31-2020, 01:33 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
quat

I don't know , but I think I have to hand it to the fellow man. The big screen in the living room said 'Stay put' and for the most part most do, no big scary tanks or such like.
We will have to see just how long the fellows stay put.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:00 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Cow, how's your keto diet going? And the coffee addiction? I've mostly run out of things to complain about but do have an observation/rhetorical question.. is it weird that I'm more self conscious working out alone in my own living room than I am in a room full of people doing the same thing? Who knew the herd mentality of group fitness would possibly be the one thing I miss the most.
Old 04-03-2020, 06:16 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Hi All Y'all!

Checking in from my western ghost town. So far I'm not particularly proud of my quarantine. I wanted to use it to settle down deep into my VERY restrictive ketotic seizure diet, but I've not done that exactly. I may have instead gone on a bit of a walkabout with coffee and chocolate and wine ...oh my! Soooo easy to slide back into it, soooo hard to pull out.

But I'm back in line and on mission this week. The diet is simple, but not easy. I know it will pay off, but damn it is harder giving up my little treats and comfort food than anything else. I've never been a big protein lover. My favorite food is gluten! But I am doing it. I am all stocked up on meat and more meat. And when I feel like cheating, it does help that running to the market is now lethal.

Cos, I have never been able to join a gym. I tried once, but felt like a doofus. Like, here I am, this little creature driving my steel box to a cement box every day so I can move about in a forced manner with the other creatures cuz we are so freaking denatured we have to formalize getting enough exercise to stay healthy! ... ... yeah, I know, but I just couldn't get over the conspicuous irony of it.

How are you all going?
Old 04-03-2020, 06:45 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I’m pretty much down to just meat, olive oil, sparse vegetables like cabbage, romaine, Kim chi, etc. and I have never felt better or stronger in life.

Well, maybe a little stronger while I was CrossFit active, but yesterday I mowed a huge paddock with an electric push mower in the sun, cleared brush, etc. for hours and felt great.

I’ve lost so much visceral fat and inflammation. For me, meat heals
Old 04-03-2020, 07:33 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Cos I know you are youngish, not sure your age, but I have so much empathy for the young-ish right now. I can't imagine being in my late 20's and having this happen. My daughter is just lost. Now she's 'lucky' per se in that she is a freshman in College. But the whole 'college experience' has just been a massive let down for her. She is really lost emotionally. My nieces and nephews are all just graduated or graduating college. Brand new jobs and now this? Most facing lay offs. Or not being able to get hired. Now that really sucks. And then for those really launching...like yourself. And suddenly, screeching halt. Massive uncertainty.

Everyone has their own windmill to joust in this. People like me? Oldish, immune compromised? Will I die? So yeah, it is what it is. But mostly just worry for my kiddo. And sadness for her and others like her.

Cow I love what you are saying about the gym. So freaking true...even tho I go to the gym. Well I used to. I hope the demons of caffeine and booze are at bay for the moment.

Hawk that is amazing. The amount of time you have been eating meat. And pretty much just meat. I can do that for a brief period but then I simply feel sick. Like awful. I absolutely need a wide variety of veg and fruit every day or I just don't function. Now processed carbs? Loves them and enjoys them. But don'ts needs them. Fiber tho? I can't live without it. Just shows how differently it seems our individual systems function. For me, its variety of food and a small amount of it. I just don't need that many calories. Oh well!

Sigh. I ranted like crazy in the other corona thread so I'll just shut up here. Yoga time.