Notices

Sleepie's Testing Countdown Support Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
This situation is a lot to handle on my own. The best I could get is paying someone to talk to about it. Buy someone's time. And that doesn't appeal. That's not like a family member or friend who has known you and can say something about you or your life because they were there with you.
Counselling is not meant to be or replace a family/friend relationship. It is a professional relationship that can help you see things more rationally, help you work through your pain, help you make sense of your past and your toxic family. It is not about buying someone's time or paying for a "friend".

I hope you don't make any rash decisions right now (such as break up with your boyfriend). Don't needlessly remove your support systems when maybe you need them the most.

I know you are scared about your upcoming test but try to stay present, tomorrow hasn't happened yet and you being here today is proof that you can survive the future (because you know today is yesterday's unknown future, right?!).

Hang on, sleepie, we love you it is tough right now but it won't always be tough
Old 04-14-2016, 06:07 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  

Hi Sleepie! I'm usually on F &F but come over here every once in a while.

My RAH also has LD he is dyslexic and has some comprehension issues. He is also BiPolar, has OCD, and ADD. I remember when he was diagnosed with Bi Polar and did get depressed. Me, I was jumping for joy. A diagnosis of an LD or MI is not a death sentence, its a path to education and learning how to deal with a disorder whether it be behavioral or medicinal. Knowledge is power, its not the other way around.

As for your BF and your thoughts on being a liability. I suppose if one were to look at my RAH on paper and his many issues which are more than what I listed (he has health issues as well), a person may say or think why would anyone be with a person with so many problems? He isn't a problem. He isn't because he deals with his issues. I choose him because a person isn't just a sum of Acronyms assigned by the medical community. Do we have an acronym for being an amazing person? My support system? The person who wakes everyday and my happiness is important to them? Loves me, is my best friend, is a faithful partner? He makes me happy every.single. day. What a blessing.

We all have issues its just that some are not a diagnosis. I dated plenty of men that had AS (a$$hole Syndrome) for which there is no cure. I have PS (procrastination syndrome) DS (disorganized syndrome) NDS (non detail syndrome), NPS (no patience syndrome) and I am a codependent enabler, but that I work on daily.

Wishing you the best as you move forward in dealing with this. Fear is much worse than reality. Reality we can make a plan and move forward in a healthy, and prosperous manner.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redatlanta View Post
Hi Sleepie! I'm usually on F &F but come over here every once in a while.

My RAH also has LD he is dyslexic and has some comprehension issues. He is also BiPolar, has OCD, and ADD. I remember when he was diagnosed with Bi Polar and did get depressed. Me, I was jumping for joy. A diagnosis of an LD or MI is not a death sentence, its a path to education and learning how to deal with a disorder whether it be behavioral or medicinal. Knowledge is power, its not the other way around.

As for your BF and your thoughts on being a liability. I suppose if one were to look at my RAH on paper and his many issues which are more than what I listed (he has health issues as well), a person may say or think why would anyone be with a person with so many problems? He isn't a problem. He isn't because he deals with his issues. I choose him because a person isn't just a sum of Acronyms assigned by the medical community. Do we have an acronym for being an amazing person? My support system? The person who wakes everyday and my happiness is important to them? Loves me, is my best friend, is a faithful partner? He makes me happy every.single. day. What a blessing.

We all have issues its just that some are not a diagnosis. I dated plenty of men that had AS (a$$hole Syndrome) for which there is no cure. I have PS (procrastination syndrome) DS (disorganized syndrome) NDS (non detail syndrome), NPS (no patience syndrome) and I am a codependent enabler, but that I work on daily.

Wishing you the best as you move forward in dealing with this. Fear is much worse than reality. Reality we can make a plan and move forward in a healthy, and prosperous manner.
What red said--you are not a bunch of Acronyms but a loving person
who is loved not just by your boyfriend but by many.
You just need to add yourself to the list of those who love you, dear sleepie. . .
Old 04-14-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening Sleepie x
Old 04-14-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Thanks for your input guys.

I have been confused about this for months. I am very worried about having a dynamic that is detrimental to either myself or my partner. Part of the problem is, he is basically the only person IRL that I can be myself with, I have to be "on" for the world, as we all do to an extent- so when I crash like I did at my last job- and he says he can help, he doesn't care, he makes good money etc. it's like I go "thank god because I can't do this anymore".

But then I don't want to be dependent, or take advantage, or make him an enabler so then I go out and try again only to the same results. I mean it's constant screw ups at every job. Every single one. If it's because of having ld and I have to deal with this stress all the time maybe we should break up because I'm sorry folks but that is a kind of stress that is not humanly possible to handle. It feels to me like running a race but you're the only one running on ice, everyone else is on pavement. And they can't see the ice, just you can... And everyone's like "Just try harder" and the ice is cracking and they're off in the distance soundly on pavement running fast and free and you're about to plunge into some icy depths.

And part of me is foolishly still hoping that the tests will say something different, anything, because LD is a label I don't think I can handle after all the other experiences I've had.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hey sleepie!

Out of curiosity I googled nvld and read a few stories from other people with it too.
It looks really harrowing! I'm sorry you've had to go through that xoxo
You're awesome though! Look at you working through everything despite the odds!
You have spirit and you're stronger than you know <3

Learning disorders aren't a lack of intelligence- I hope you know that
Old 04-14-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Hi jsbodhi! Thanks for checking it out.

What did you look up? Maybe there's stuff I haven't seen yet.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

I did a google search of nvld adults

Here's one I read
NonVerbal Learning Disorder

What do you think of it?

I was looking at this too- have you considered a support group?!!

http://www.ldonline.org/xarbb/topic/33101

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-dark-side-nld
Old 04-14-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

I saw that one before and still haven't read the whole thing! It sounds really accurate.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Hey there Sleepie,
I second what Jsbodhi is saying, you are awesome! You have accomplished so much, survived so much, and added so much to the lives of many of us here.
You are always spot on with your posts and so caring and helpful.
I nominate you for FRIEND OF THE YEAR here on SR! :-))
You know what Sleepie, I really miss the good times on Cow's thread in 2015 back when I was Ringthedoorbell, and you were drawing and sharing with us (Trach uses his drawing everyday!), and we were discussing everything under the Sun.
Do you remember the lengthy discussions we had about vitamins, and what to do for insomnia? I learned a lot.. (BTW, where is Tooshabby these days?)
I think that's where I really got to know you...( in this internet kind of way I mean!)
Anyway, I am rambling..I know your testing is coming up soon, and I want you to know that I will be thinking of you..
Old 04-14-2016, 05:27 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

Thanks Croutie!

That was a fun time, I agree. It was 4 months ago, I am only off the pills and the booze for about that time! How are you on sober time? Have you got like 2 years and I didn't notice?

Croutie it's good to see you here. I was wondering too, where does "Croutie" come from?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Sleepie, hang in there. You know you do this and you know you'll come out the other end.

As far as "only" having your bf to love and support you in real life, that's no small thing. I've got no partner and envy you for that.

But this isn't about me - I just would like you to take a pause to think about the good stuff. It's ok - things don't have to be bad all the time. You deserve the good just as much as anyone else does. And there's been a fair amount of that going on lately for you. And you don't need to be worthy - you just are.

xo
O
Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Sleep, my beginning date was June 8, 2015. I choose to have a little champagne at Christmas, and a glass of wine here or there. I am not trying to moderate, and I don't really have cravings, so I don't really know exactly what you would call what I am doing..
I really think my over drinking started with my Son's illness. I just felt so helpless and lost and sad. It broke my heart and I used alcohol to cope. I still have my sad days, but I don't even think about drinking.
As for Croutie, that was a nickname my parents called me when I was a child.
Kinda' odd, but certainly better than RTDB.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

I liked RTDB Croutie, I like both

Anxiety's real bad tonight. It's always bad.
Test is getting closer.
Sigh. Most people have better things to look forward to at my age.
Nice life.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Do your best

Try this Sleepie

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...er-thread.html
Old 04-15-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I never sleep.

I'm too anxious.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 197 (permalink)