Notices

Sleepie's Testing Countdown Support Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
under new management

Originally Posted by Croutie View Post
You'll get a kick out of this; I'm actually reading Agatha Christie right now..
a Hercule Poirot mystery. I don't usually read much fiction, but was in the mood for one of her quick reads. You gotta love a book that mentions the butler's "rheumy eyes.."
I used to be a huge Agatha Christie/Hercule Poirot fan. I read every book of hers that I could get my hands on!

Also, a shout out to Fawlty Towers, sw, love, love, love!

And, sleepie, I am a voracious reader, fiction all the way
Old 04-09-2016, 08:33 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

" the butler's rheumy eyes" made me laugh!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:17 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I have only seen "Ab Fab" of the bunch you mentioned, Wolf. I have heard of Fawlty Towers, Kimmy Schmidt I'll watch today on Netflix. I kept seeing it on the list of options but didn't know much about it.

Yesterday at the used book store I was thinking that I might like a mystery, I haven't read one ever. The closest I got was "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" and it was excellent but it wasn't like a paperback mystery. I was also in the mood for something trashy like VC Andrews, don't judge lol!

I have read a lot of Joyce Carol Oates. She has a lot of short stories as well as novels. I met her briefly at a signing once. I'll never forget it.

Everyone was in line and as each person met her she asked them "What do you do?" I was already rolling my eyes because that's a question I hated for years because when I told people my job it was often instant attitude, judgement, dismissal. I had a desk job. Big deal, it was the best I could do. Anyway so my friend says "artist" and JCO brightens visibly and says "How noble!"... then the lady in front of me says "I'm in cancer research" and JCO does not even look up. And I was like "Nice, Oates". Then I just said "Hi how are you it's nice to meet you" real fast so she wouldn't ask me and it worked. I mean I just thought it was weird because she didn't seem to care much for the cancer gal, wasn't impressed. I was a very dedicated painter for years and also at the time. I guess she would have been impressed.

But since I don't play all those social games, like the whole "What do yo do" and then basing further interactions on the answer as many seem to, there are 2 things I have always detested. Judgement based on what I do for work or how much money I make- or what I do in my personal time, back when I pursued art. Because I don't know what's worse- being dismissed because I don't make much money or have a cool job, or being glommed onto because I can be somebody's "Cool artist" friend. Nope. Nah. Not for me.

When I meet someone, I want to know that person, not all the surface stuff. I just don't care. It took me a long, long time to recognize that and manage it though. Because as will happen with nvld, I can be naive, unfortunately. I was very lonely in my younger years and also alone often and I would talk to literally anybody. The Russian guy on the bus covered in tattoos he got in prison. A drug dealer. The corporate suit who wanted some "cigarettes sunglasses and leather" like courage mentioned earlier LOL.

It took me many years to see class divisions as well. And as will happen again with nvld, I learned not from life or living or people but by being told. By PBS. I saw one morning a special on social classes. Then I got it, and it really stuck because I became hyper aware of my situation and learned to play things off as much I could as far as my job and everything. I was embarrassed I didn't seem to be able to do better. I mean it's ok not to "see" class divisions and to look beyond appearances- but only if you are aware and choose not to. But to simply not get it at all is not a good thing. A girl could get in trouble. I mean, a solitary female as I was for so many years. Like I said, Russian guy with prison tats... maybe don't talk to that guy I mean for safety's sake as an alone female.

I still have to suppress this urge to just talk to people all the time, I am so curious about them. I have always been because I was always trying to figure them out, like how do they seem to be doing life ok and what was I doing wrong? I was just a dum dum in that respect. I mean I'd ask really inappropriate personal questions trying to figure them out and how I could be more like them. What can I do, I had no idea I was living with nvld.

Well now you know some inner workings of a dunder head. I mean it's embarrassing but at least after I am aware of a thing I can kind of get a handle on it.

Now for something entirely different, you know how people will often have dreams in which they are drinking? I had a dream last night that Patton Oswalt gave me a muscle relaxer, and then I asked him for valium...
Old 04-09-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  
under new management

I read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time" quite some time ago! I remember thinking it was kind of quirky and off beat and I really enjoyed it.

I hope you get to check out Fawlty Towers, I think there were only about 11 or 12 episodes made but it is one of those shows you can watch repeatedly and it just gets funnier every time.

I haven't seen Kimmy Schmidt but would sure like to.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Sleepie, I have the talking to everyone problem too.
I've gotten better at dismissing some people because they're creepy.
I also like to know who a person is rather than what they do, or present as who they are based on income etc.
But to be honest I always have room for a cool artist friend haha!
I'm not an artist- just creative, it's more as a little hobby for me; I always love when people are serious about their art.
I am not at all.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Do you like true crime novels? I know it's not fiction but it reads like fiction a lot of the time.
Ann Rule is GREAT!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

I hope you'll post more pics of your work jsbodhi, did you ever work it out with the tree painting? If you want any tips on color mixing as well I can give a few tips.

If anyone has a recommendation for a good mystery paperback I am all ears.

Oh who mentioned Pierot? My bf loves the show. He loves Pierot so much! he used to like Agatha Christie too. and Ms Marple I think.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:47 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Oh good! Yes I will write it down jsbodhi...I could go for something like that right now. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2016, 10:53 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kimmy Schmidt is awesome you got to see it to believe it such a funny show & netflix recently put wonders of the universe on which is interesting if you like science stuff ?

There is quite a lot of stand up which is cool I saw one of my favourite American comedians on there he's not as well known but I like him from important things with Denetri Martin il include a clip at the end

You know you can sign up to Amazon for a free 30 day trial you get loads of shows on that too

I had crazy dreams last night none of it made sense

Right enough rambling from me lol

Old 04-09-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

See! That's why I want a cool artist friend! I was thinking of doing some painting today- I may hit you up for some tips!

DEFINITELY check out Ann Rule- I have read every single one of her books and I'm always checking to see if she has a new one out.
I read an amazing mystery novel and I can't remember the name, I'm going to check my bookshelf and see if I still have it to get the title for you.
Old 04-09-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Oh! I was just looking to see if she had any books I haven't read and I found one! I'm going to try and hunt it down today- there goes anything productive I might have done....
Laying bed reading all day actually sounds pretty good now.

Ok, I called chapters and they have a copy of the book across the entire city haha!
This is gonna take me an hour and a half to drive there and back but I'm going for it!
Old 04-09-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

SW I watched a stand up recently with Demetri Martin he was funny!

Jsbodhi if you want some tips just pm me when you find you need some. A day of reading, Yes!

I ate a potatoe SO Sorry jsbodhi!

Well now I have to make myself get some work done as I have a couple commissions. Then for a reward I can watch some Kimmy Scmidt.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome x
Old 04-09-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Found the book on my shelf, its called this body of death so good!!!
By Elizabeth George

Got my Ann Rule book too.
A potatoe!! Scandalous!
Old 04-09-2016, 01:31 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Cool! writing it down now... I bet they will have a section at the used book store with these now I have 3 titles to look for including one Stephen King. Now to force some exercise...
Old 04-09-2016, 02:57 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Hello Sleepie,

I see a lot of progress in your threads. I'm not always on this side of SR and I wanted to wish you well on this test countdown!

To try true crime, one could start at the beginning with Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. Some of the fairly recent movies about the book and the author were well done.

I cut my mystery teeth with Christie and the many Sherlock tales many years ago. Perhaps due to this I have a fondness for Laurie King's Mary Russell series. I pick them up at the library. I also like L King's present day detective series.

Mary Russell

Have you tried The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo? The whole series carries a big theme of violence against women. There's a lot of legal set up in the first 80 pages, but Lisbeth might be a character you would quite like. The first book is a classic locked room mystery.

One summer I took a class in mystery books and it was an absolute blast to delve into all sorts of great little books and dig a bit deeper into the genre. Some of the 'pulp' fiction is really well written.

Take care Sleepie!May each day bring a good chapter, a good scene, some pleasant weather, or an interesting encounter.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

I really liked the girl with the dragon tattoo as well.
In cold blood is also one of my faves
Old 04-09-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Do your best

Mrs sw read a great book called 'girl on the train' she really liked it

I'm off to bed now so goodnight beautiful people
Old 04-09-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Alright.

I'm late to the show.

Sleepie. Kindling.

Also, I'm currently reading book 2 of the millinium trilogy "The Girl who Played with Fire"
Old 04-09-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

Hi Kallistia. Is Kindling a book? Or do you mean you are reading on a Kindle?

Good to see you How have you been?