Notices

The Island of Misfit Drunks

Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Little Sleepie, you're such a good person... ��
Old 01-20-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Sorry, Those question marks were supposed to be " clapping hands"!
Old 01-20-2016, 10:57 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

Thanks guys

So what have you two been up to?

I go back to work again today. It's ok but here's the 1st thing that kinda gnaws at me. Like Gilda Radner says in her autobiography, "It's always something"... so it begins.

I've worked so many of these jobs and they can be ok and everything, but they always try and wring you dry somehow. So, I am to be 15 minutes early to work everyday to be considered "on time". To "settle in". 'Cause god forbid they pay me for the 2 seconds it takes me to put my coat over my chair and log in?

So that means with my schedule it equates to an hour of free work a week. Because it does not take me 15 minutes to put my coat on my chair and log in (settling in). Well, if they want to hand me a check for 52 extra hours worked at the end of the year, then sure, no problem. They underscore this insult by informing me there is a "5 minute leeway" to being 15 minutes early. Oh ok, thanks! So, in other words, I shouldn't be late to being early. Cool. Got it.

I mean who has time to give away? That's totally uncool and demeaning.

Ya know? If I took 15 minutes of their time every day you can be sure they'd dock my pay for it.

I'm so tired of being a tool.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

I'm sure that has to be illegal, Sleeps. It certainly sucks. Most employers are always looking for their pound of flesh, eh? You're not a tool at all - we just have limited options and have to suck it up sometimes, unfortunately.

Hi Drops. It's shaking well in some ways and not so well in others. I'm afraid I'm still plagued by that cursed procrastination problem. I read elsewhere that you are too, by the sounds of it. Why do we insist on sabotaging our own asses?! Forcing myself to attend to a couple of things right now - tax return being one of them. I have a pathological hatred of forms and paperwork. I'd much rather go to the dentist :-/
Old 01-20-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Thanks guys

So what have you two been up to?

I go back to work again today. It's ok but here's the 1st thing that kinda gnaws at me. Like Gilda Radner says in her autobiography, "It's always something"... so it begins.

I've worked so many of these jobs and they can be ok and everything, but they always try and wring you dry somehow. So, I am to be 15 minutes early to work everyday to be considered "on time". To "settle in". 'Cause god forbid they pay me for the 2 seconds it takes me to put my coat over my chair and log in?

So that means with my schedule it equates to an hour of free work a week. Because it does not take me 15 minutes to put my coat on my chair and log in (settling in). Well, if they want to hand me a check for 52 extra hours worked at the end of the year, then sure, no problem. They underscore this insult by informing me there is a "5 minute leeway" to being 15 minutes early. Oh ok, thanks! So, in other words, I shouldn't be late to being early. Cool. Got it.

I mean who has time to give away? That's totally uncool and demeaning.

Ya know? If I took 15 minutes of their time every day you can be sure they'd dock my pay for it.

I'm so tired of being a tool.

Been out of the field for ages, nearly 15 years now, but I strongly believe that is illegal. US Wage and Hour defines hours worked as "all the time during which an employee is required or allowed to perform work for an employer, regardless of where the work is done, whether on the employer’s premises, at a designated work place, at home or at some other location."

If you are required to clock in or log in as being at work, then you should be paid. Are you hourly? that is another factor. You can contact your state or US Department of Labor ( I assume you are US) and ask them for an official "rule". I know of organizations in the past that have been fined for doing less.

A lot of the issue will hinge on if you are getting paid for the time or not.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

My current employer informed me of a similar requirement after I showed up for work. We had a long talk about "unrealistic expectations". Hourly pay is just that. You get no bonus minutes from me. He has been bonusing me, though. He wasn't able to supply the agreed total hours so, he's stepped up. He's seen I'll work the necessary hours.

There are always ways to deal with idiocy. When I worked at a college it was in the building where a Dean officed. After pitching a fit when unable to find technical help one morning, he declared we all had to be there at 9 AM every day. So we sat on the front steps every morning as he walked in early. Our hours went down as we worked his enforced schedule. He lasted about 3 weeks.

I'm not saying throw down a gauntlet so early on but don't give yourself away.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

What is this thread about? Can I join in?!
Its so many pages to read to see the theme! But maybe that's the price of admission
Old 01-20-2016, 05:58 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

It is about a lot of things, and I do not think there is a theme. Our fearless leader Trachy will fill you in.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:04 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, Js, it's a substitute for when Cow isn't threading. It's seems to have got legs of it's own as a feel-good, tell me something good about your day thread.

There is a group of people here(maybe 150,000) fighting hard, in every way possible, to stay out of the darkness. Lot's of threads about it.

So, tell us something good about your day.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Hey guys. Back from the salt mines again.

Ok so, I am spineless. This is a case where I need to just b**** about it, be heard and move on. I admit I am accepting this. It may gnaw on me enough to say something later but for now I'm too new and unfortunately the huuuge employment gap on my resume is being rectified with this job. I mean I knew I was gonna be less than thrilled no matter where I ended up but at least the people I work for and with are genuinely good people. Yeah it's a little shady but unfortunately I have to for now, at least, "suck it up" as Shab said. I've sucked it up so many times though I had to check my a** to see if "Hoover" was stamped on it.

So that's my story for now... lol
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

sleepie, that's the reality of modern life! It ain't perfect but it keeps us out of the mental hospital, right? Right?

I'll admit, going there has it's attraction.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Just make sure it's not a state funded vacation Trach 'cause that sucks big time.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Just had a couple of slices of leftover pineapple-ham pizza. I'm free!
Old 01-20-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Well, Js, it's a substitute for when Cow isn't threading. It's seems to have got legs of it's own as a feel-good, tell me something good about your day thread.

There is a group of people here(maybe 150,000) fighting hard, in every way possible, to stay out of the darkness. Lot's of threads about it.

So, tell us something good about your day.
Well today I cancelled a contract I just got- the lady is too hard to deal with.
I'll miss the money; but I feel so relieved!!
I'm a bit of a workaholic- so I feel proud of myself that I chose well being over money

What about you?
Old 01-20-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

That is why I work for myself but at about 1/3 of what I used to make. I have everything I need but less of the nightmare stress that left be broken and almost penniless.

Well being and a bit of control over things goes a long way. There is a down side, all the unstructured time is an addict's best friend so I have to keep busy.

I had spaghetti squash with sauce and chicken salad tonight. Left over pizza would have been good too.
Old 01-20-2016, 07:34 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
That is why I work for myself but at about 1/3 of what I used to make. I have everything I need but less of the nightmare stress that left be broken and almost penniless.

Well being and a bit of control over things goes a long way. There is a down side, all the unstructured time is an addict's best friend so I have to keep busy.

I had spaghetti squash with sauce and chicken salad tonight. Left over pizza would have been good too.
Yes exactly, I drink my work stress away.
I'm too busy as it is, I shouldn't have taken that contract in the first place; but my greedy little eyes were wide with dollar signs.

I'm starving, gonna grab some take out.
Vietnamese I think
Old 01-21-2016, 03:11 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

There's a Vietnamese place up the road from here that makes a beef stew to die for.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I thought about it a bit. I could take a state mandated vacation if I could have a few things when I got out. My sofa. My cookware and knives. A few pictures. Everything else could be gone.

Hell, everything is almost gone now.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Black Turtle is rising
Old 01-21-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  

I pen pal with inmates in the USA trach.
They tell me about their day to day life and sometimes I wish I was in prison!!! Ha
Especially the minimum security ones.
If you go down, I got your back, I'll send you letters, books and come to visit you.
I got your back