Notices

The Island of Misfit Drunks

Old 03-15-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 541 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
I always found watches to be a really cool hobby!
Got any pics of your faves!?
Most are old Seiko or Bulova watches from the last 20-30 years. These two Hamilton Venturas are the only special ones that are collector's items. The gold one is a vintage one from 1957-1958. Venturas were among the first battery powered watches and are still produced. The 1950's one is worth a lot, but it does not work. Batteries are very difficult to find, much different than the current watch batteries. A working one can bring $2-3,000. The other one is about 10 years old and probably just needs me to get off my tail and get the battery replaced.

Guess I can only upload one pic so this is the old one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_ventura.jpg (16.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 542 (permalink)  

This is the newer one, from 2006 (looked up when I bought it.) About the only difference is internal mechanism with more modern battery and the removal of the words "electric" and "pat. pending" from the face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rsz_newventura.jpg (11.0 KB, 81 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 543 (permalink)  

Morning all. Feeling meh lately. I know a lot of it is hormones. I moved away from the city...to a beach community. Much more laid back down here but not a lot going on and there really are no jobs. I could commute to Boston...but that would be an hour ride to the train and at least 45-50 minutes on the commuter rail into Boston. Doesn't make sense. Then I think...do I want to go back to the Boston area anyway? Maybe a move someplace new would be fun...not right away...but down the line. Where to though? Lived in NYC right after college ....too much for me! Lived in the Midwest for grad school and I really missed being on the coast. Don't like anything TOO hot. Seattle and Portland are too rainy for me. The Carolinas are too hot. I'm not really sure what I want or where I want to live. I just know this isn't it
Old 03-15-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 544 (permalink)  

Ooooo! Both are nice drake! I like the first one the best even though there isn't much of a difference.
Do you fix them and stuff too?
Old 03-15-2016, 10:40 AM
  # 545 (permalink)  

I can change the battery, that is about it. Except for the Hamiltons, they are tricky and as I said, the battery for the old one is hard to find.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 546 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Lol oh my... well let's see... Ok, but it isn't a happy story. At a market years ago I ran into a person that I struck up a conversation with as they had some tattoos by an artist I recognized. We became friends. They disclosed mental illness after we hung out a few times. Well, who am I to judge? So we hung out quite a bit. They were very impulsive and bought me some small gifts, and wanted to see me a lot. They were a bit out there, seeing faces in the lights and such. And witnessing other supernatural beings. But like I said who was I to judge, and they seemed very sweet if a bit clingy.

But soon they were calling me all the time, even at work, and I couldn't get a moment. Then they really started to lose it... talking to things that were inanimate and such... and I ended up buying meds and some other things for them, and I wasn't even working regularly.

One day we were walking around together and they just straight up asked me for drugs (that I didn't have or do) and then mentioned they got them from various people in the neighborhood. My hair stood on end as I realized I'd gotten involved with an addict... I wondered about everything they'd ever told me about themselves. They got clingier and clingier until I just had to ask for a little space... they flipped out never to be heard from again.

Years later I saw them as a subject in the photo work of an acquaintance... got chills.

Not exciting but just an example of the folks I get tangled with.

And that's why I stay in...
Oh god, this type of thing has happened to me too- and for the same reason.
I do the " who am I to judge" line of thinking as well, though I've become a lot more judgemental after learning a few lessons.

I have one that's kinda cool though.

So when I was 17 ( 33 now) I was riding the subway and a kinda strange man started talking to me ( surprise surprise) he seemed maybe autistic.
Anyway, we were chatting about the zoo ( I'm not a fan of zoos)
He asked me what my birthday was and my email ( like a 17 year old idiot I told him)
He wrote in down in a black notebook full of other names and birthdays.

The funny thing is every year after that on my birthday he has sent me a happy birthday email on my birthday- what is that?! 16 years?!
All he says is " happy birthday Jennifer, what's new?"
I reply and tell me whats new that year, he never replies back.
He sends an email for milestones too, in ex: " happy 10 000 days alive Jennifer, make it a good one!"

I guess its just his thing! It must be interesting for him to hear about all the things that have happened each year to all of us as the years go by.
People get married, divorced, have children, move, finish college etc.
Anyway, I've always enjoyed it! Siblings, friends, lovers etc will Accidentally forget my birthday, but he never does!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:46 AM
  # 547 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
I can change the battery, that is about it. Except for the Hamiltons, they are tricky and as I said, the battery for the old one is hard to find.
How do you decide on a new watch to buy? Do you see one randomly, go looking for a certain one, Browse around online?

And do you wear them or just collect them?

I love people's hobbies! Its special just to them and they have little methods and routines for their hobbies.
Any why watches?
I think stamp and coin collecting is cool too ( though I don't collect anything except postcards)
Old 03-15-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 548 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bunny211 View Post
Morning all. Feeling meh lately. I know a lot of it is hormones. I moved away from the city...to a beach community. Much more laid back down here but not a lot going on and there really are no jobs. I could commute to Boston...but that would be an hour ride to the train and at least 45-50 minutes on the commuter rail into Boston. Doesn't make sense. Then I think...do I want to go back to the Boston area anyway? Maybe a move someplace new would be fun...not right away...but down the line. Where to though? Lived in NYC right after college ....too much for me! Lived in the Midwest for grad school and I really missed being on the coast. Don't like anything TOO hot. Seattle and Portland are too rainy for me. The Carolinas are too hot. I'm not really sure what I want or where I want to live. I just know this isn't it
I read somewhere that you live in cape cod?! I've never been, but its way on the top of my bucket list.
Along with new orleans ( all of deep south actually) new Mexico, Seattle, big sur, all of Maine- well new England in general.
I'm crossing one off in June ( deep south)

Have you considered Northern California? That seems to fit a lot of your criteria!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:05 PM
  # 549 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jsbodhi View Post
How do you decide on a new watch to buy? Do you see one randomly, go looking for a certain one, Browse around online?

And do you wear them or just collect them?

I love people's hobbies! Its special just to them and they have little methods and routines for their hobbies.
Any why watches?
I think stamp and coin collecting is cool too ( though I don't collect anything except postcards)
I never pass a jewelry counter or store, antique mall or estate sales without looking at watches. I get email from about every online watch retailer as well. The one I am looking at now is an online retailer that mixes real wood with the metal for an interesting look.

I just find them fascinating, decorative yet useful, unlike a ring or necklace. I have 6-7 that work and I wear off and on, and about that many around that do not work. I rarely throw one away when it stops, no matter how cheap it was.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 550 (permalink)  

Hi all.. wow Clocks ticks tocks rings dings or makes music.. I have to see a clock it has to be working.. we have 4 big old wood clocks that chime.. ding and make music.. I have 3 face watches that are old Swiss that are my pride and joy.. when sick there is one that has to be with me.. it has a painted face of flowers and the hands are two tiny branches with a tiny leaf...
not feeling to well today Kids and beans my tummy on the upper left by the belly button is like it has a hard something and it hurts a bit.. if I walk around it helps ... have been careful on what Iam eating as the stress since Charlies death is a little much... looked this up.. and will need to have the Doc take some blood and do some tests.. sure why not. was never good at Tests when I was in High school ekekkeke.. hey thanks for the spot on the island and love and prayers forever ardy
Old 03-15-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 551 (permalink)  

Hi ardy

jsbodhi wow that was daring of you to give that info to that guy!

That person I mentioned played my (former) soft spot like a fiddle. They came from money too and I was on unemployment. Oh well lesson learned.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 552 (permalink)  

Hi ardy

jsbodhi wow that was daring of you to give that info to that guy!

That person I mentioned played my (former) soft spot like a fiddle. They came from money too and I was on unemployment. Oh well lesson learned.
Its happened to everyone at some point I think.
Opportunistic predatory types know exactly what buttons to push on.
Xoxo
We learn as we go to recognize red flags- that is until the next one haha
Old 03-15-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 553 (permalink)  

Awww! I hope it turns out to be nothing ardy xoxo
Nice to hear from you!
Old 03-15-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 554 (permalink)  
Do your best

Evening everyone Mrs sw is hogging the remote : (
Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 PM
  # 555 (permalink)  

LOL SW Hi

You know I don't think they were predatory.... just straight up nuts and also coming from where she did had zero concept of necessity... kinda saw money as a plaything. But they were looney. It was the addiction and drugs thing that scared me.
How are you feeling today Jsbodhi?
Old 03-15-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 556 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hitting the sack hopefully sleep like a log tonight
Old 03-15-2016, 03:12 PM
  # 557 (permalink)  

LOL SW Hi

You know I don't think they were predatory.... just straight up nuts and also coming from where she did had zero concept of necessity... kinda saw money as a plaything. But they were looney. It was the addiction and drugs thing that scared me.
How are you feeling today Jsbodhi?
Ahhh gotcha! I tend to befriend the sociopaths ha

I'm feeling better! I actually went out for a drive, might try out a walk later, still feel lightheaded and queasy- but I'm thinking tomorrow I should be up and about- ready to wear myself down into sickness again!

I'm not really into sugar, but today I had an overwhelming sugar craving.
I ended up with a ton of 5 cent candies, doughnut, and I want more candies.
Normally I'm a salt addict.

How are you? Whatcha up to?

I hope you feel better too SW xo
Old 03-15-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 558 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey, Misfits. Since were getting up there in post count I asked TPTB to close this one and started Part 2 here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-2-a.html