Notices

just got out of detox

Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

just got out of detox

Just got out of detox, went home and had a few beers. I think it's out of defiance of something, but this has been my pattern after leaving treatment, but It never lasts more than a day, than I settle down to sobriety. go figure. Anyhow, I start IOP next Monday so that should help. actually got a lot done today, did a lot of cleaning around my apartment today. felt good. My kitchen hasn't looked this good in months. keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome back. Not sure what to say. Detox then beer sounds strange.

But heck if you think this is what you need who am I to judge.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hmmm. Well I guess you're going to get some strong responses here over your choice to drink beer again.

My opinion... it doesn't sound good. Defiance as a knee jerk reaction suggests that you aren't committed to sobriety yet. Is sobriety what you really want? Good luck either way.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok can't help it. When you say out of defiance, against what? The detox centre that you went on your own will for help, or defiance against your addiction?

If it's about your addiction, defiance would mean you would find a way to get support and stay sober, if it's against the detox centre it seems illogical.

Just saying, couldn't help but ask.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Old 07-11-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
Welcome back. Not sure what to say. Detox then beer sounds strange.

But heck if you think this is what you need who am I to judge.
I know, it doesn't make sense to me either. I think it's a control thing, but I know once it's over, it's over. than I can move on, and be okay with that. I know I won't drink tomorrow. Today is it. the mind is a weird place to be.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure I understand the point of getting out of detox and then having "a few beers." Did you go to detox voluntarily? If so, who exactly are you rebelling against?

Doesn't sound like a great idea to me, to be honest.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It is amazing the batterings many of us endure before finally seeing the writing on the wall.
As well as stopping we need to replace the old ways and minds set in a more creative and healthy pattern.
Some find AA, AS A FELLOWSHIP HELPFUL IN THIS REGARD............
Old 07-11-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

In a way, I feel like a kid that was grounded by my parents, that let lose to show them who is really running the show. Pathetic I know, but at least I'm adult enough to enroll in an IOP next week. Not expecting any pats on the back with this, just being honest.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

And honesty is a very good thing.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Yikes Toomuch. Well if that ain't cutting off your nose to spite your face I'm not sure what is.

Come on buddy. Seriously ?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for being honest. Personally, cleaning your environment is a good sign and I hope you're doing okay. Having a few beers after rehab doesn't sound cool, BUT you are the key to your recovery and I wish you the best.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Just got out of detox, went home and had a few beers. I think it's out of defiance of something, but this has been my pattern after leaving treatment, but It never lasts more than a day, than I settle down to sobriety. go figure. Anyhow, I start IOP next Monday so that should help. actually got a lot done today, did a lot of cleaning around my apartment today. felt good. My kitchen hasn't looked this good in months. keeping my fingers crossed.
I would say thats true to a certain extent. Its like giving them the middle finger to the people that wanted to help you. Like drowning in a pool, and telling the lifeguard to F-off after saving your life. I get it. I done it myself, getting out of prison and drinking. Going to see the PO then drinking. Getting out of the ER or ICU and drinking. Fun Times.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I personally saw pure AV in there.

We went to detox, We cleaned up my house, we deserve a beer, tomorrow we will make it day 1 and succeed. Of course our friend doesn't want to drink, but the AV is always thirsty and can easily wait until after detox to strike.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Insanity indeeeeeedies
Old 07-11-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In a way, I feel like a kid that was grounded by my parents, that let lose to show them who is really running the show. Pathetic I know, but at least I'm adult enough to enroll in an IOP next week. Not expecting any pats on the back with this, just being honest.
Your AV does feels like it was grounded.

Have you looked up AVRT?

Kudos for the IOP, that is you that wants that. I bet your AV will start making excuses just the day before.

Hope this helps, learning to recognize your AV is key in recovery. It is extremely cunning.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I have known others and I'll some people on SR that have gone through the same thing I am dealing with that have slipped back for a day or two than went on to lengthy sobriety. I don't think this is anything knew.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

You know who's really running the show? the Beast. you're obeying the Addictive Voice.

I'm so worried for you

Love from Lenina
Old 07-11-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have known others and I'll some people on SR that have gone through the same thing I am dealing with that have slipped back for a day or two than went on to lengthy sobriety. I don't think this is anything knew.
What others have done is not really relevant. What's important is how you move forward on your own. I certainly hope you can find the resolve to not drink until your IOP starts.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

"but this has been my pattern after leaving treatment, but It never lasts more than a day"

A "pattern" of relapse? A far cry from Sober Recovery.

"keeping my fingers crossed"

Never worked for me.

Don't get me wrong; it's just that it doesn't really sound like sobriety or recovery,and because you're not sober or recovered I wonder where this is all headed.

I wish you the best of luck; it's just so contradictory that it's confusing