Notices

I Don't Think Alcoholism is Real

Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Don't Think Alcoholism is Real

Guys I don't think this is a real disease. Let me tell you a little story.

Since I was 17 years old I was drinking every day. Every single day I would come back from school and hava a six pack. Once I went to college I drank even more. There was not a single day when I wouldn't have at least a six pack of beer. Usually I went out with friends, had some drinks, went to someones home, had more. Got home drank by myself. On weekends I was never sober.

I was good at doing what I had to so I graduated with a hight GPA, got a job and started working. My drinking continues. I drank with friends, I drank by myself, most night for over 5 years I had times when I didn't remember when going to sleep. It went from beer to wine, etc.

One day 2 years ago, I woke up with a hangover, something I very rarely had. I thought to myself, **** it, I can't drink every day anymore. I'm getting older, my wife is pregnant, I feel like ****, I'm not getting drunk regularly anymore.

From what I see in movies and TV and read about alcoholism, everything points to the fact that I'm an alcoholic. But also on TV, web, movies they make it seem like you can never have another drink, you always crave more, and that simply isn't true.

I still drink, but not a lot. I never sit home and drink by myself anymore. I have a glass of wine at dinner once a week with the family. Once a month I go to a poker night where I have a few beers. New years I had a glass of champagne. Over the summer I sometimes went to a BBQ and sometimes had a beer or two.

3 months ago I went to a friends wedding and had a few shots, that was a one time I had maybe too many.

So now I basically drink like normal people do. I looked at my alcohol consumption and I'm averaging less than 5 portions of alcohol per week. Some weeks I drink nothing, some I have just a glass of wine per week. That wedding I probably had like 10 shots, so that was a lot for me.

I don't crave alcohol. I can have one drink without wanting more. I don't think about alcohol unless it is around and someone offers it.

I am not in any way special, but if I can go from 10 years of getting drunk every day, to just deciding I don't want to do it and now consuming alcohol like a normal person, why can't everyone do that?

Its like quitting smoking. I smoked for 5 years, decided I don't want to anymore and stopped. Cigarettes I have to admin I craved for about a month or so. Now I have about 5 cigars every year, haven't had a cigarette in 7 years.

So basically my point is that either alcoholism is not real, or it is greatly exaggerated, or alcohol is simply not as addictive I they would like us to believe.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you can count yourself very lucky indeed then...

...but your individual experience is not what everyone else will experience.

I've never been obese or anorexic, although I've eaten all my life. It doesn't mean they don't exist for other people.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jason

you're in the minority - especially on a site like this.

Trying to drink like a normal person nearly killed me.

I'm glad you've found something that works for you tho

D
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I don't believe believe in the disease model, but I do know that people can become addicted to substances and behaviors.
There are any number of reasons/theories for why people become addicted, or re-addicted after abstinence, and while interesting to me, they are ultimately not important to me on a personal level. I don't drink alcohol. It's the choice I made that suits my life best.
but...yeah...cool story bro...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good point.
My theory though. People aren't so strong as you, maybe! They have hardships and struggles and alcohol or drugs takes away the pain. So that's wer I think alcoholism is a concept. Along with a drug user it becomes habitual because it alters ur mind takes away pain n makes thing better. For a while until they take over and become worse than your problems.
You sound strong and if its not causing you pain I salute you n wish I could be like you. Honestly though I can't n that why im here seeking help.
Call it alcoholism drugism hideaway fromrealityism its a thing n it sucks to be in it and its hard to get out and stay out.
Peace
Old 01-02-2013, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience Jason, it's good to hear a story like that. They don't come along often.

Unfortunately for me, when I had that, 'sh;t, I can't drink everyday anymore' moment, my drinking got worse, not better. I tried to cut down and I couldn't. I am a relatively intelligent, stubborn, strong willed person in all other aspects of my life, but booze had me beat. It took me 3 and a half years to stop and I am not interested in having a few drinks ever.

I don't care if it is a disease or not, I'm just grateful I don't have to drink anymore
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by JasonL76 View Post
So now I basically drink like normal people do. I looked at my alcohol consumption and I'm averaging less than 5 portions of alcohol per week. Some weeks I drink nothing, some I have just a glass of wine per week. That wedding I probably had like 10 shots, so that was a lot for me.
That's a great little story, but really what is the point of it? Are you trying to convince us or yourself? This is a site to support people struggling with addiciton issues, if that clearly is not you, then why are you here? I don't have an eating disorder or struggle with gambling, but you don't see me spouting my useless propaganda on their websites. So again, I am confused as to why you are here.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I prefer to let the academics discuss the disease model of alcohol dependency.

For me, I know that alcohol was a destructive force in my life and that not drinking alcohol ever again is the solution.

Not sure why you're here though. I used to gamble excessively and now I don't...in fact, I can gamble moderately and responsibly.

Yet I don't join a gambling help forum and post my story...now do I? I am the exception, not the rule and my story is grossly unhelpful to gambling addicts.

Cheers and welcome.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't subscribe to the disease theory, I see addictive drinking as a behavior disorder. But regardless of what it is it kills too many people. It is a serious affliction to many.

Some people can moderate, some can't. I'm glad you found what works for you. Not drinking works for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i would have to agree, i do not accept it as a disease. i really do not accept it as a behavior disorder cause some see that as a medical health diagnosis. it is a series of bad decisions that lead to addiction. like you i finally had enough, i stopped drinking and i really do not have cravings. i used to smoke for 8 years, and i stopped one day and i smoke 2 to 4 cigars a year too at sporting events.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well Jason, maybe you aren't an alcoholic...but some of us are. I cannot stop drinking once that first drink passes my lips. I either have to run out of money or be arrested by police to stop. People are wired differently so one person's experience certainly is no proof of anything.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
High on Life

Originally Posted by robgt350 View Post
i would have to agree, i do not accept it as a disease. i really do not accept it as a behavior disorder cause some see that as a medical health diagnosis. it is a series of bad decisions that lead to addiction. like you i finally had enough, i stopped drinking and i really do not have cravings. i used to smoke for 8 years, and i stopped one day and i smoke 2 to 4 cigars a year too at sporting events.
From a previous thread of yours.....

i am so upset, past few days i relapsed again. it sucks, i hate my self right now. i feel terrible. i dont even want to look in the mirror to shave or comb my hair. i want to quit drinking so bad. i think i wil go see my doctor again to get some antidepressants or something to help my stop. has any one tried this? thanks for lestening,, i need someone to talk too.
Really.....you just stopped drinking and you have no cravings. Hmm.. sounds pretty simple then.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sie

Alcoholism isn't a drinking problem, its a thinking problem.

Simple as that.

You don't have a thinking problem, I do and I used alcohol unsuccessfully to try and cure it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You could have qualified your statement like this: I don't think alcoholism is real to me. That would be the truth, instead of a blanket statement that it's not a real disease or addiction or whatever you want to call it.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sie View Post
Alcoholism isn't a drinking problem, its a thinking problem.

Simple as that.

You don't have a thinking problem, I do and I used alcohol unsuccessfully to try and cure it.
That's exactly what Craig Ferguson said in his humble and from the heart monologue about his struggles with the drink.

Is that an expression from AA?

Craig Ferguson Speaks From The Heart - YouTube
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

if I can go from 10 years of getting drunk every day, to just deciding I don't want to do it and now consuming alcohol like a normal person, why can't everyone do that?
I have no idea...
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You're newly sober and I congratulate you for that.

However, your post history indicates a history of many relapses. 12 09 12, in relation to relapsing you wrote " i did the same thing many many times."

About craving booze, on 12 02 12, you wrote " i have nightlly cravings also"

What gives with your post about how quitting drinking was a snap and you do not have cravings?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sie

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
That's exactly what Craig Ferguson said in his humble and from the heart monologue about his struggles with the drink.

Is that an expression from AA?
I've not heard him say that Xune, but I know Father Martin talks about it in his Chalk Talk videos...

Its so true of me...
Old 01-02-2013, 05:03 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

G
I am not in any way special, but if I can go from 10 years of getting drunk every day, to just deciding I don't want to do it and now consuming alcohol like a normal person, why can't everyone do that?
Most of us here had some success doing just "that". I did it for 30 days on several occasions. I know of many members here who did it 3 - 6 months.

However, a few months is far from "stopping for good". Plus the next try at it gets even harder (and harder after that). Don't count your eggs till they hatch after a year or two of incubation. Alcoholism is patient. More patient than any of us can imagine.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 2 for me today. I wish I could believe alcoholism isn't real, but due to my experiences, I can't say that. Not much else can explain the insanity some of us go through. I've done the same thing over and over again and each time I've expected different results. Once I take a drink, it's all over until I hit a new low. A new bottom. My hole's gotten pretty deep.

“First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you.”

― F. Scott Fitzgerald