Notices

I Don't Think Alcoholism is Real

Old 01-02-2013, 05:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheEnd View Post
That's a great little story, but really what is the point of it? Are you trying to convince us or yourself? This is a site to support people struggling with addiciton issues, if that clearly is not you, then why are you here? I don't have an eating disorder or struggle with gambling, but you don't see me spouting my useless propaganda on their websites. So again, I am confused as to why you are here.
TheEnd is absolutely spot on. What's your point? Also, you sound pretty young to me. What makes you so sure that as you get older, your ability to drink responsibly won't change? I just can't imagine why you would have an axe to grind with a group of people who kindly support each other.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've found that I do get used to certain behaviors. For example, if I sit and watch tv every day from 10pm to 11pm for a week, that's all I want to do at that time every day. If I go to the gym every day at noon for a week, I design my day to be able to do that every day, and if I can't, I crave it or miss it. I think that was with my drinking as well. I fell into a pattern of doing something so I kept doing it. Once I stopped the pattern, things become easy. I think, at least for me, it was more of getting used to a pattern then on getting addicted to the alcohol.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:20 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonL76 View Post
I am not in any way special, but if I can go from 10 years of getting drunk every day, to just deciding I don't want to do it and now consuming alcohol like a normal person, why can't everyone do that?
And what about all those people that claim to be "allergic" to peanuts and strawberries and such. I can eat them no problem. I think they are all faking.

Just starving for attention I bet.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by BadCompany
And what about all those people that claim to be "allergic" to peanuts and strawberries and such. I can eat them no problem. I think they are all faking.
LOL yep that anaphylaxis is so totally all in their heads.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've found that I do get used to certain behaviors. For example, if I sit and watch tv every day from 10pm to 11pm for a week, that's all I want to do at that time every day. If I go to the gym every day at noon for a week, I design my day to be able to do that every day, and if I can't, I crave it or miss it. I think that was with my drinking as well. I fell into a pattern of doing something so I kept doing it. Once I stopped the pattern, things become easy. I think, at least for me, it was more of getting used to a pattern then on getting addicted to the alcohol.
Then you are the exception and not the rule.

The reality of this 'whatever you want to call it' is;

The economic costs of excessive alcohol consumption in 2006 were estimated at $223.5 billion.

80,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States.

CDC - Fact Sheets-Alcohol Use And Health - Alcohol

The reality is that the absolute vast majority of persons who are alcohol dependent, will not be able to one day successfully moderate the consumption of alcohol. If someone wants to get well and leave the destructive behaviour behind, their surest means of achieving long term sobriety is via abstinence.

Yes, there are a very small number of addicts who learn how to successfully moderate. No one in this thread has denied this reality.

Best of luck two you and I still don't know why you, without a drinking problem, are on a drinking problem web forum?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I think, at least for me, it was more of getting used to a pattern then on getting addicted to the alcohol.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Audrey Kishline had the same ideas when she wrote the book "''Moderate Drinking: The New Option for Problem Drinkers" and look where it got her.

You sound like what we call in Australia a "P*ss Head", that is someone who can drink himself sober, do it every night and still take it or leave it. A type of "Hard Drinker" not an alcoholic per se.

I know a guy over here who has been bitten by about 3 different venemous snakes and has developed immunity. I have friends that drink and drug but don't use when they would rather not. Some people get sick, some don't. Some get immunity, some get addicted.

Think yourself lucky but don't get complacent. It has a way of sneaking up on you.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by Xune
80,000 deaths attributable to excessive alcohol use each year in the United States.
Yes and that's just the ones "attributed". There are tens of thousands more that may not be listed as such, but alcohol or other drugs were the cause. Case in point, my friend's "cause of death" listed? Heart failure. But smoking crack cause his heart to stop. One of an untold number of deaths from addiction that is not "on the books" as such.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

you dont have to believe it is a disease, and if yer still drinking and can control it, hats off to you, but i really dont know why this was even posted on a site named sober recovery.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I would say you just never became physically addicted. Lots of people drink stupidly in college or during military service and later slow down. I know I've tried for years to drink with restraint and it just ain't happening.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thumbs down

So basically my point is that either alcoholism is not real, or it is greatly exaggerated, or alcohol is simply not as addictive I they would like us to believe.
*OR* maybe YOU are not an alcoholic.

It's the same as saying that diabetes isn't real, or diabetes is greatly exaggerated, because you personally used to eat a lot of sweets, and suddenly stopped.

Don't quit your day job. Your days as a expert on alcoholism are numbered.

I'm burying a friend on Friday who felt that he could control his drinking.

Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Xune View Post
FAKERS!!!

Zube
Old 01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I don't blame you for posting here Jason. I get that you want to hang out with the cool people for a little while.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stang View Post
I would say you just never became physically addicted.
Not to derail, but I think that is the one thing that sometimes leads me to questioning whether or not I have a "problem" (I do know that I have a problem, but that doesn't stop me from questioning it occassionally )...

I read about all of these horrible withdrawl experiences that people have, yet of all the times I've "quit", I've never had any physical withdrawl symptoms... And I've been drinking A LOT for a LONG TIME (up until a couple of months ago)... Minimum of 12 beers a night and usually closer to a case during the week for at least the past decade, and much more than that on the weekends...

How rare is this I wonder???
Old 01-02-2013, 06:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Originally Posted by TheEnd
That's a great little story, but really what is the point of it? Are you trying to convince us or yourself? This is a site to support people struggling with addiciton issues, if that clearly is not you, then why are you here? I don't have an eating disorder or struggle with gambling, but you don't see me spouting my useless propaganda on their websites. So again, I am confused as to why you are here.

Tomsteve:
you dont have to believe it is a disease, and if yer still drinking and can control it, hats off to you, but i really dont know why this was even posted on a site named sober recovery.

What these two said.

Personally, I do not know what kind of response you were expecting on a sober recovery site? More power to ya for being able to learn to drink responsibly after 10 years of alcohol abuse/alcoholic activity but majority of us can't. You are the exception along with not many few others. Me and a lot of other people here on SR tried to moderate our drinking or learn how to drink responsibly and it almost killed a lot of us in the process. Why the heck do you think we are members of this site trying to remain sober? Because our lives depend on it in most cases. You aren't trying to get and stay sober so why are you here, again....seriously this baffles me.

Blahhh what's the use? Wasted energy blows!

Best of luck to ya and I will keep you in my prayers cause I think you are trying to convince yourself with this thread. The whole ordeal doesn't make much sense really....

it really does take all kinds....and that's OK.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I don't blame you for posting here Jason. I get that you want to hang out with the cool people for a little while.

LOL! I think you pinned it, soberlicious!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Guys I don't think this is a real disease. Let me tell you a little story.

So basically my point is that either alcoholism is not real, or it is greatly exaggerated, or alcohol is simply not as addictive I they would like us to believe.
Post edited by TrixMixer for space:

Well Jason I am not sure what you want us to say! I think you just posted on the wrong thread. Perhaps you should find a forum of like minded people that would be very interested in your theory.

If you want to let us know how well you can handle alcohol,,,,more power to you! Although there is a very strong possibility your not even an alcoholic---so no biggy and have at it

TrixMixer
Old 01-02-2013, 07:46 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

theres a lot of people in early recovery on this site. i hope and pray none of them reads this and gets the thought in their head that maybe they dont have a problem, maybe they arent alcoholic and decide to try drinking again.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

and this is what can happen:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-back-out.html
Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Well, I think there is some good that can come of Jason's thread.... Isn't his perception the same as many people out there that have little or no experience with alcoholism? ... I see this as an awesome opportunity to educate Jason and any of our lurkers out there who believe that alcoholism is just a bad habit... It was for Jason, and from his POV...

Welcome to SR, Jason!!!