Notices

Does Society Hate Alcoholics?

Old 09-07-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Does Society Hate Alcoholics?

First off to anyone who has been reading my posts I am still sober. I had a rough day when my detox meds ran out but I'm doing okay today. I'm wondering how others feel about how society views them. People say that addiction is not a stigma anymore but I disagree. I struggle with the disease concept at times. Is addiction really a disease or am I just a selfish criminal? I know of no other diseases that cause criminal type behavior. Can I really tell someone with cancer (a terrible disease) that I know what they are going through? I have to accept that family members will never believe in the disease concept. I have posted about my staggering medical bills that I will never be able to pay. Do other diseases cost this much to society? They say 80% of people in prisons today are there due to alcohol/drugs. Thank you for any input.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Society LOVES Alcoholics and Addicts. They have their own tv shows now. Just sayin...
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't worry about what others think. I drank because I worried about what others thoughts
about me were. I can't control those thoughts. Today, I'm ok with me.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If anything..society should learn from alcoholics....and embrace a part of them that they hide....everyone loves to point their fingers at others...when 10 go back to them....
I have accepted this part of me..and honestly don't think I would even be close to the person I am now without the struggles of alcoholism....it has made me one of the most grateful people on earth....recovery has brought a whole new dimension to my life!!!
Good or bad, I am who I am!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Society LOVES Alcoholics and Addicts. They have their own tv shows now. Just sayin...
Yes that is true but society doesn't like the criminality of addiction. It frightens people. Granted some of you never gone that far but some have. I don't see cancer stricken folks begging for change on the street to seek chemotherapy. Some say obesity is a an addiction to food and it's genetic. However, when I'm in line at the grocery store & am behind an obese person buying a cake/cookies they are not arrested. While addicted to drugs/alcohol I have always maintained a proper weight. I think I need to learn to accept things better.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well, I was arrested and charged with a dui.....certainly not proud of it...but you tell me one person who sober or not hasn't made wrong choices in their life!!! whether it's greed, sex out of marriage..etc.....we all have made "criminal" choices....alcoholic or not...
Old 09-07-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
The disease concept itself, or rather its use by some addicted people for self-serving purposes (F&F forum has examples) is responsible for much of the backlash. Studies have also been done that show people do not view those with diseases favorably. The abdication of personal responsibility for quitting, and the expectation that addiction be accommodated, is what troubles society.

Although addicted people will apologize and repent for all manner of misbehavior while under the influence, not very many addicts are actually willing to take personal responsibility for continuing their addictions in spite of the consequences. Try doing a fearless moral inventory on drinking itself, and not on what you did while drinking, or in order to acquire drink, and you'll see what I mean.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Love2legs, yes DUI seems to be a very serious crime today, however, 30 years ago it was not. I have had 2 DUI's & gave up driving, moved to the big city, and continued to spiral downhill. I am currently being offered a potential job where I will need to drive to and am seeking a permit which requires a breathalyser. Even though I suffered a 3-4 day bender I must continue to battle life. DUI's in 1996 & 2003 yet still must accept those consequences today. I believe it is a myth that consequences changes an alcoholics behavior.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
Some say obesity is a an addiction to food and it's genetic. However, when I'm in line at the grocery store & am behind an obese person buying a cake/cookies they are not arrested. While addicted to drugs/alcohol I have always maintained a proper weight. I think I need to learn to accept things better.
Now, if that aint the pot calling the kettle black.......
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Justfor1,

I've watched your posts for a while, and noticed that traditional "treatment" has apparently not worked very well for you. In my case, after spending lots of money on addiction treatment, I came to the conclusion that treatment was never going to save me from myself.

In other words, I had to conclude that there was no treatment, and that I had better bite the bullet and do what I needed to do. Have you considered that the same may be true for you?

Though you may not believe it at present, I have full faith in your own capacity to recover.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
I don't know if it's because of my own struggles with alcohol or because of my personality, but I can't watch shows like Intervention. Watching the details of a train wreck that is someones life does not entertain me. Nor does seeing how bad another persons life is make me feel better about my own.

As far as society hating addicts. Addiction to prescription medication is rampant in my area. So much that when most people hear that such & such is strung out on Oxy's, they say "Really, I'll have to give them a call & see how they're doing." It's just a sad part of life, not much hating going on.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

AVRT, I've considered that as well. I have given 100% to traditional recovery methods only to fail. I enjoy AA folks though. This may sound mean but I get a lot out of listening to others misery with addiction. I know I'm not alone. It's ironic that society believes alcoholics/addicts are lazy but I assure you I have had to work hard hustling up money to continue to booze. There is no "calling in sick" when one is physically addicted to booze. Perhaps one day I will find strength in my addiction struggles.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

AVRT, I've considered that as well. I have given 100% to traditional recovery methods only to fail.
You know what they say about insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If what you have been doing for so long has not worked, isn't it possible, or even likely, that it never will?

Perhaps one day I will find strength in my addiction struggles.
Why not today? It won't be any easier tomorrow.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

You know, I have always "walked to a different drummer." I used Alcohol and drugs to self medicate and of course, ended up addicted for years.

I started to learn in early recovery that it was OK that I didn't give a rat's azz what others thought of me, but I also had to learn that what I and HP thought of me was important.

I also didn't learn until almost 9 years sober that I am Bi Polar. Well, that did explain a lot finally, a good part of why I 'process' things different than most folks and look at things in life 'differently' than most folks (yep, I do walk to a different drummer). Today IT DOES NOT MATTER ONE LITTLE IOTA.

DUI are of course looked on with more seriousness today than 30 years. There are one he!! of a lot more drunks and one he!! of a lot more people out there that they can kill when driving.

As to how 'society' looks on me and other alkie/addicts I could honestly care less. I keep my side of the street clean, continue to 'work on me' (progress not perfection) and enjoy MY LIFE.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I know I detested myself when I was an active alcoholic.
I know that changed when I found AA recovery...

I've not concerened myself society thought at either time....
Old 09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

If the law, our creditors, our employers, and our friends & family didn't hold us accountable for our actions because we're sick (we can't help it), few of us would ever find the necessary desperation to get better.

I'm not responsible for being alcoholic. I believe I was born this way. I am, however, responsible for my own recovery, which includes cleaning up the messes I made in the past.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This question used to occur to me in early recovery, now, not so much... I go to work like everyone else, go to the store, drive... whatever... I am society, I guess. LOL, frightening isn't it...

The antidote is integrity. Get recovered, which means all that cleaning up, amends, personal inventory... then the question is moot.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm wondering how others feel about how society views them.
"Who gives a s***, who gives a f***?" (SL - Howard 100 News)
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I haven't noticed much stigma. I don't exactly trumpet that I have a substance abuse problem either though.

Once in a while someone gets uncomfortable when I told them that I stopped drinking, but more often than not people are amazed that I was able to do it.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Not caring about what anyone thinks and engaging in grievous, antisocial conduct, to the detriment of others, is a hallmark of addiction. I believe that those who have recovered had better start caring about what society thinks and start acting like proper citizens again, if only to serve as an example.