Notices

Does Society Hate Alcoholics?

Old 03-18-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Definitely the whole stigma has lessened with education. Everything used to be more hush-hush and viewed as "personal problems". Now that addiction is more openly discussed I think society as a whole is letting go of the notion of skid row bum as the sole face of alcoholism and realizing that addiction does not discriminate.

I think the problem society has with the addicted (or the other groups mentioned) is when people don't take responsibility. It's not that one is an addict per se, but rather when they are an addict not taking responsibility for recovering, thereby lessening their egregious behavior that costs society as whole. I would have to agree with mark75 (haha I know right?! that I don't think when one is recovered they are looked down on at all. At least that has not been my experience.

and lastly...

You really don't know that with 100% certainty...
wow. you spend a good amount of energy in persnickety judgementalism, and i guess you find that rewarding. i feel sad to read it. but i'll forget it in about a minute, and i send you best wishes for a nice, coming day.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mercurial me View Post
Many in society view alcoholics as weak, useless, a burden on the system.

I think that's the exact reason why many alcoholics have a hardened veneer. We try an over compensate for the perceived inherent weaknesses that society puts on us. Not a fun life but we still have our place in society.
i thank you for this post, and must admit i have that "hardened veneer," a defense mechanism, because i've felt so hurt. but i don't like to live that way, so i get better and better about ignoring negative things people have to say about me or others like me. it's not easy. but i drank because i cared too much about what others thought. i never want to go back to that way of living! thanks again, and nice to meet you here!
Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I struggle with the disease concept at times.
Alcoholism is a mental illness, classified as such by the American Medical Association. It's not a disease of the elbow
Old 03-18-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Yes society hates alcoholics. Especially DUI. When I was in jail a meth addict asked me not to do it again because her kids are out and in the streets. I understand the gravity of my actions, but the logic escaped me. Most if not all of my jailmates were there because of drugs. But there is certain glamorization of alcohol and drug abuse and celebrities always get off easy. Unless they die of OD or accidents. On a positive note the society is generally in favor of people bettering themselves and that is one reason why I am not ashamed of therapy or AA. Look at Andrew Zimmer, of TV chef fame. A total turnaround from a purse stealing homeless person to a celebrated chef and travel star who has a beautiful family. He is quite open about it, too. As is Anthony Bourdain who says he was a cocaine addict. You may not watch these foodie shows but just a couple of recent examples.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Ps

HuskyPup, you mentioned Jackson Pollock. I think you know that he died in a drunk driving accident that he was responsible for and also killed a friend and injured his mistress. Ernest Hemingway, I believe, took his own life. This is NOT what we need to do. Let's be sober today and find positive examples! I know so many people, many in AA, that have made amazing recoveries. It was not easy but they did it.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:09 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Folks, just a heads-up that this thread is 7-1/2 years old. The general subject may be of interest, but directing responses to particular posts or posters may not result in productive discussion.
Old 03-19-2018, 12:55 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Vehicular deaths, broken families, damaged kids, lost days of work.........

what's not to love?
Old 03-19-2018, 05:25 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by happiernow
wow. you spend a good amount of energy in persnickety judgementalism, and i guess you find that rewarding. i feel sad to read it. but i'll forget it in about a minute, and i send you best wishes for a nice, coming day.
Hi Happiernow,
I just logged on after several months to see what everyone was up to. I see that you have some strong feelings about my post. I believe it's several years old (can't recall really), but I still hold the same opinion. I don't think society "hates" the addicted, I think society has some disdain for those who do not take responsibility for their negative actions.

It was 11 years ago last month that I decided to take responsibility and I haven't once regretted it. It is absolutely within our power to stop shifting blame and own our actions. Not pleasant, no, but it must be done for any real lasting change to take place.

I extend my sincerest wishes for all the best to you on your journey. xo