Notices

Does Society Hate Alcoholics?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
That's great that you were able to get sober and that your parents helped you with a place to live. I have no idea what enabling is or isn't anymore either. I've stayed with my AH, given him a million chances, asked him to leave and then let him stay, helped him find a job, helped him keep a job etc etc etc... I've been told that all of this is enabling since he's never had to fall on his face and figure it out for himself.

Congrats on 2.5 yrs of sobriety. I hope that my AH will make the choice to get himself some help too before it's too late.
I backed myself into a corner, but for me, it took a choice between the family or the street. If I had kept on drinking, I would not have been allowed to stay. That snapped me back into my right mind, so to speak.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
It doesn't take being an alcoholic to lie. I know plently of nonaddicts who have done similar things. Guess everyone exhibits antisocial behavior?
No, it doesn't take being alcoholic to do antisocial things, but this isn't kindergarten, either. Just because Johnny does something wrong doesn't mean that you get to do it, too.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
And that's what I mean about making choices. People with cancer do not have the option/luxury of personally deciding they are done. Alcoholics do.
This is true, and you are indeed correct, but I will also say that never-addicted people cannot imagine what the prison of addiction feels like. Once upon a time, prior to becoming dependent, I used to think I was pretty clever being able to drink all I wanted to with impunity. I couldn't quite understand why some people drank every day first thing in the morning, for example, until I did it myself. I simply could not imagine the reality of it.

That said, I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
And yet some people describe alcoholism as if it were cancer, that it took their loved one away from them.
I imagine there is some measure of comfort in believing that alcoholism took a loved one. People often need to know "why" in order to move on.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
No, it doesn't take being alcoholic to do antisocial things, but this isn't kindergarten, either. Just because Johnny does something wrong doesn't mean that you get to do it, too.
Thing is, I don't see anyone saying that. Sure there are lots of addicts (I include alcoholics with addicts) who won't take responsibility for their actions, but where do you see anyone saying, "well, clean and sober people can be aholes, so I'm gonna be one too."?

You don't know me, nor I you, from a hole in the wall, but I can confidently say there are plenty of clean and sober people who have caused more problems and been more of a burden to our society than me (and I'm talking I PERSONALLY know these people). In fact, as I admit I am no angel, I'd like for anyone to show me what horrible crimes I've committed to this world. Addicts create problems (I'm not immune) but addicts are not the entire cause of societies ills, which is what you have been implying here.

If I thought my drinking wasn't a problem, I'd still be doing it, now wouldn't I?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Wheresthefun;

Great response !
Old 09-08-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wheresthefun View Post
Thing is, I don't see anyone saying that. Sure there are lots of addicts (I include alcoholics with addicts) who won't take responsibility for their actions, but where do you see anyone saying, "well, clean and sober people can be aholes, so I'm gonna be one too."?
By pointing out the indiscretions of others, you are trying to mitigate, if not outright excuse, your own actions. What does reckless driving have to do with the impropriety of driving drunk, for example? The fact that you would even consider them in the same category is revealing in and of itself.

You don't know me, nor I you, from a hole in the wall, but I can confidently say there are plenty of clean and sober people who have caused more problems and been more of a burden to our society than me (and I'm talking I PERSONALLY know these people).
What do those clean and sober people have to do with your particular burden to others and to society as a result of your addiction?

How do their actions in any way, shape, or form change yours?

In fact, as I admit I am no angel, I'd like for anyone to show me what horrible crimes I've committed to this world. Addicts create problems (I'm not immune) but addicts are not the entire cause of societies ills, which is what you have been implying here.
I made no such implication. I am not naive enough to assume that there are not a whole slew of people out there causing trouble.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
In my Own Little World

that is over glorified by Beer and Liquor commercials, and the negative stigma that is being mentioned here is do to the fact that an Alcoholic has lost control over their consumption,
Along these thoughts, I actually overheard someone saying, "Well, it IS the alcoholics fault. They do warn them to consume responsibly in all those commercials!"
The discussion was about government sponsored recovery programs of course.

Interesting read though through this thread.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Alcoholic and addiction are very hard to stop.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:58 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
It depends on what stage the alcoholic is in. I have resorted to drinking many household items that contained alcohol. I even use to eat the hand sanitizer in the hospital because it had alcohol in it. I'm guessing you are not an alcoholic? In prison/jail they make homemade alcohol. If one wants to drink one will find the way. Is that why society hates me because I'm so sneaky?
I'm not an alcoholic, but the ones I know never ate hand sanitizer.

I remember seeing something on Discovery about how the inmates would ferment orange juice or something.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

I would add that there are plenty of people on this site who look down on alcoholics as well...we don't even have to go into society
Old 09-08-2011, 03:08 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I would add that there are plenty of people on this site who look down on alcoholics as well...we don't even have to go into society
It is not an easy thing to understand if you haven't been through it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Society does NOT seem to hate recovered alcoholics.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I think that we all are MORE than just alcoholics!!
Old 09-08-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by loveon2legs View Post
I think that we all are MORE than just alcoholics!!
"Most people don't have what it takes to be alcoholics"
- Clarence Snyder
Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Lately I've noticed that several shows and movies feature characters who are in recovery. It is a great way to create flawed characters and generate struggle/conflict in the plot. This is good, imo, because it makes the condition or process much more acceptable to mainstream society.

Maybe this is related, but I have an old roommate from college who is a screenwriter in L.A. (one who actually gets jobs, lol). He quit drinking many years ago and told me that AA is almost a networking experience for people in the business. His words were something like, "if you go to the right meetings, not only do they help you stay dry, you get to meet a lot of people, and you'd be surprised who shows up to these things."
Old 09-08-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Many in society view alcoholics as weak, useless, a burden on the system.

I think that's the exact reason why many alcoholics have a hardened veneer. We try an over compensate for the perceived inherent weaknesses that society puts on us. Not a fun life but we still have our place in society.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Lately I've noticed that several shows and movies feature characters who are in recovery. It is a great way to create flawed characters and generate struggle/conflict in the plot.
Why does "My Name is Earl" sound like someone about to share at a meeting?

Why does he have an "Amends List"?

Why does he have a brother who is a drunk?

Why is he a low-life character who suddenly recognizes that he is a low-life character?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:42 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Definitely the whole stigma has lessened with education. Everything used to be more hush-hush and viewed as "personal problems". Now that addiction is more openly discussed I think society as a whole is letting go of the notion of skid row bum as the sole face of alcoholism and realizing that addiction does not discriminate.

I think the problem society has with the addicted (or the other groups mentioned) is when people don't take responsibility. It's not that one is an addict per se, but rather when they are an addict not taking responsibility for recovering, thereby lessening their egregious behavior that costs society as whole. I would have to agree with mark75 (haha I know right?! that I don't think when one is recovered they are looked down on at all. At least that has not been my experience.

and lastly...
Originally Posted by choublak
I'm not an alcoholic, but the ones I know never ate hand sanitizer.
You really don't know that with 100% certainty...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by mecurial me
Many in society view alcoholics as weak, useless, a burden on the system.
well, to be fair...I have been all 3 of those things in the past...
Old 09-08-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Cholub, the life of an alcoholic is not an easy one. I wouldn't wish my addiction upon my worst enemy. Getting the money to use, using, recovering, repeat. You truely have to be an alcoholic to understand the insanity of addiction.