Notices

Withdrawal Question

Old 03-19-2018, 04:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Question

Hello all,

I am new here and have a question. As a little background, I am a 33 yr old male, 5'10" weighing around 200 lbs. No major health issues aside from 2 recent panic attacks. I started as a social drinker in my mid-20s. My consumption increased over the last 4 years or so, drinking mostly rum. A few nights I drink more, a few less.

For a few months now, I knew I had to get sober. Last week, I decided it was time and started to taper off my consumption. Withdrawal symptoms were almost non-existent as I started tapering off. As I was doing this, I caught the head cold my wife had (started feeling it Thurs night). I finished my last drink on Friday night around 8:30 but took Nyquil over the weekend to help with the cold. Since Nyquil has 10% alcohol, does the body perceive that as a drink and essentially restarts the withdrawal clock? Aside from anxiety (which my cold isn't helping with). Seems like a dumb question that I am probably over thinking.

As an aside question, I have never experienced the more severe symptoms (hallucinations, seizures, elevated heart rate, etc), thankfully. I have read that DTs are rare in their own right, but what are the chances someone goes from the mild symptoms to DTs without experiencing the severe?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-19-2018, 05:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Skitch01 View Post
Hello all,

I am new here and have a question. As a little background, I am a 33 yr old male, 5'10" weighing around 200 lbs. No major health issues aside from 2 recent panic attacks. I started as a social drinker in my mid-20s. My consumption increased over the last 4 years or so, drinking mostly rum. A few nights I drink more, a few less.

For a few months now, I knew I had to get sober. Last week, I decided it was time and started to taper off my consumption. Withdrawal symptoms were almost non-existent as I started tapering off. As I was doing this, I caught the head cold my wife had (started feeling it Thurs night). I finished my last drink on Friday night around 8:30 but took Nyquil over the weekend to help with the cold. Since Nyquil has 10% alcohol, does the body perceive that as a drink and essentially restarts the withdrawal clock? Aside from anxiety (which my cold isn't helping with). Seems like a dumb question that I am probably over thinking.

As an aside question, I have never experienced the more severe symptoms (hallucinations, seizures, elevated heart rate, etc), thankfully. I have read that DTs are rare in their own right, but what are the chances someone goes from the mild symptoms to DTs without experiencing the severe?

Thanks in advance
It doesn't work that way... Withdrawal symptoms are like the disease...progressive.

You don't "kick start" them with a shot of nyquil. Withdrawal is a cumulative reaction to what happens to the body when cessation occurs after a period of time of heavy drinking. Be it binge or maintenance.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Alcohol can postpone the inevitable in withdrawal. There are also medical solutions such as a benzo taper that makes withdrawal relatively painless...but they should be done in an inpatient situation, IMHO.

The alcohol in the Nyquil may have lengthened your taper, but doubtful that it's going to come back with a vengeance.

BUT!!!

Withdrawals are highly unpredictable. It's good to have a doctor available (or urgent care or the ER) just in case things take an unexpected turn, no matter how unlikely.

Good luck on your detox. How are you planning to stay sober once you get there?