Notices

Class of August 2014 Part 3

Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

And I am a 43 year old woman. So ashamed of myself
Old 08-27-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  

New here, day 3 and feeling strong with a plan.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by striket View Post
New here, day 3 and feeling strong with a plan.
Hello! Welcome to the Team August Class. Lovely bunch of people on here.

Post often and share your plan and how it's going.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by knb02 View Post
On gosh I have done that so many times. My last embarrassment : got drunk the night before. Went to a friends lunch time barbeque the next day completely hung over.
Drank a huge amount of wine in the space of an hour. Found a bedroom and fell asleep/blacked out the entire afternoon . Very ashamed
I so relate to that one. Hungover arrival or even intoxicated and then out-drinking everyone else until blackout, saying and doing embarrassing things or being taken home or put to bed (the latter if I was lucky, I had a habit of just leaving without saying anything, anything to isolate again and not cause any issues) Thank you for that, powerful reminder which I need today
Old 08-27-2014, 01:19 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

That old AV is something else-huh? Hang in there! A craving will always pass. That AV, though, works on our thoughts even when we don't have an outright craving. I think that's why it's so important to follow a program-one that addresses your thinking as well. AA, Smart, Women for Sobriety, etc all address addictive thinking. That's the stuff that has allowed us to keep swallowing something that was clearly harming us. I always think of it like a sex drive-think of all of the behavior that is ingrained into our culture to support our sex drive. Our thoughts and behavior often accommodate our sex drive. Here is a link that helps explain what happens to our brain in addiction: Understanding Addiction: How Addiction Hijacks the Brain

I quit smoking 8 years ago, and it helped a lot to realize that it was a FAKE hunger. My brain didn't know that it wouldn't die without nicotine. It was up to my rational brain to stay in control. My fake hunger told my body I might die in so many different ways-look at everyone around me, I have to die of something, I would never be able to relax without it-for my fake hunger drive it was a life or death situation. For my rational brain, it was telling it no, and finding other ways to accomplish what I associated with smoking. I missed being able to leave the building for breaks, so I went outside and took a book. I had a hard time relaxing, so I did deep breathing for 4 minutes every couple of hours. I made sure that I was never hungry, angry, lonely or tired-times when my hunger drives might have to take the reigns when my rational brain needed a break.
It worked! I never think of smoking. I don't miss it at all-never. I am missing nothing and all of those nicotine receptors in my brain are completely dormant-as long as I never take another puff I am free.

Let's keep going! I'm going to make a goal to find something that I find enjoyable and relaxing. Find a way to truly rest my rational brain. It's really getting a workout these days! It will get easier. It really will. And it will be worth it.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Hello everyone! I thought I'd pop in here earlier today, but there are still so many pages for reading. I quite enjoy it. I am coming back tonight with my tea and will read what happens from now and then.

forabetterlife - Your post really hit me. Since it's labor day weekend coming up.
calichris - yours too for the same reason. I don't want to feel horrible in the morning anymore!
dingodog - your post about continuing in a crazy cycle is so true. I feel horrible that you're feeling bad and still out of sorts for slipping, but your honesty and thoughtfulness just to post it for the rest to read was very generous. I know it doesn't make much sense, but your pain helped me from maybe doing this again myself. Crying isn't always bad, it can be cleansing. But then make sure when you're done you smile to know you are stronger then you think. I think it takes a lot of courage to share with strangers even if it is online.
rah555 - LOL, I read these forums for hours and it wasn't until I started my first post that I decided to actively find out what AV meant. They have an acronym thread on here somewhere that I finally found the meaning. I never did guess it correctly
Choobie - No coffee?? I'm with your husband, whut now?!?! I love my coffee, but I limit it to just 2 in the morning. Some things I just don't want to give up. Yay that you got 7 hours!
knb02 - thinking about this. I haven't come up with anything yet. But I do love a challenge. What to thank myself for in the future..how far in the future?
JD4040 - lol good thing we have no dunce hats.
Raggletaggle - we need to find a selection of fun teas
CristinaN - I want to stomp around my house now too. Just because I can, hehe
bblackbirdflyy - Now I have to do 30 minutes of exercise too. Does stomping around the house count?
TXAlchy - oh man, so much I can add to that. I quit my job. No structure, lots of lunchtime drinking. I have so much more to tell, but I'll save that for another post. I'm still working there until November, but I work through lunch now
To everyone else, I wave hello! I read everybodys post and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

So it's labor day weekend and my sister and her husband are coming in tomorrow. There is a 30 year age difference between us. Yes, 30. My mom had her at 17, me at 47. Anyway, the last time she came she brought a watermelon full of vodka. She may be older, but she can be fun. I don't know if anyone has tried this, but the vodka kind of pools up and it's not that tasty. I don't worry she'll do this again, but I haven't told her I stopped drinking yet.

So AV - go away!!! Repeat it with me everyone, we don't want to feel like crap in the morning! We don't want to feel like crap in the morning!!! If you think about it, there are so many tasty beverage options besides booze. Not like ice cream where that coconut milk thing I had yesterday tasted like .. well.. I'm not even sure how to describe it. Lets just say NOT ice cream. But I will have it again, trying the chocolate one I bought, and I will NOT drink. Why? Because I do NOT want to feel like crap in the morning. Now if I say it until I go to bed, I am going to stay sober. I'll be back later
Old 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Lot's if great info and sharing on here today!!

Feeling a bit "antsy" (for lack of a better term), so I am going to have a cup of chamomile tea and head out to a quiet/restorative yoga class. Just need a healthy distraction. I know from past experience that this feeling will pass, but if I add something positive to the moment, it will pass more quickly than simply letting it be.

Thanks for all the thoughtful shares, you guys are a great bunch!!

MV
Old 08-27-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Mv yoga sounds wonderful!! Enjoy
Old 08-27-2014, 01:46 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

knb02,
I have never been chased for 5k so I don't know what my time would be. I hate exercise more than most things. I plan on doing it more, since I feel like doing it when I am not drinking. Sort of a byproduct of drinking; not exercising. I have a long way to go to get even close to a competitive time in running. It was though, the room did not smell of stale beer and even though I sweat like I am in a shower it felt good instead of gross. Thanks for the challenge. I will keep it up and see what I can do!
Old 08-27-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Heres a good one,
My wife just came into my office and told me we are having a party this weekend with 20-25 people. So I immediately thought, ok I need to get mixers, get out some Pendleton, Johnnie Black, Goose, and a 750 of Herradura. I have to go to the meat shop and have them make 15 lbs of brats and 20 rib steaks. Need to stop by the micro brewery and get either an 8 gallon keg or 6 growlers of beer, 2 ipa, 2 hefe's, and 2 Scottish ales.

Then I stopped for a moment and thought, I don't drink anymore, what the hell am I thinking. I guess old habits are hard to break. I told my wife after much thought, why not have them come over after dinner for some pool time and tennis. Saves me a lot of $$ not drinking everyone on my tab, and I don't have to be a drinking host.

Still going to the store for some Pelligrino and a few cases of flavored water, but it is not my job to make sure everyone gets drunk at my house. What a relief!! I will serve wine and hors devourers. It is easy for me not to drink wine, I just don't like it.

Anyway I will see how it goes, but I have to change the way I think, just difficult as I have been "party guy" for a long time.

I appreciate the support I get from reading other peoples issues and what they are going through planning for a long weekend in the States. Not alone here.

BTW the Vodka watermelon thing never works, and it usually tastes pretty gross if it is not iced.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2014, 03:11 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
ph7

Evening all from the UK.

Just about completing DAY 21 - WOO HOO!!!

It looks busy on here today and I've managed to wade through all you're wonderful posts.
I was going to reply to so many but as I get to the next post I forget what I was gonna say on the last one. Haha. The drink has definitely destroyed my short term memory.
I don't really want to do AA so SR is great for reminders of how I don't want to drink

I'm gonna love you and leave you now as doing this update on a smart phone isn't the way forward

Keep strong everyone. Back tomorrow for more sobering thoughts
Old 08-27-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Thanks team August for helping me stay sober today, needed the Class support.

Tomorrow is another day and I hope for a better one. I knew the journey will get tougher before it gets easier, well I am UP FOR IT AV!!

Good night from LondonTown and have a great day wherever you are.

Accountability - going to try a 7.30am meeting to mix it up a little tomorrow to set me up for the day. Maybe that can unscramble my pre work head. It's now here in writing so I will post on the way there, alarm is set! :-)
Old 08-27-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  
Free your mind

Hello all! New here and on day 13. Still struggling with some lingering withdrawal issues, but I'm in this fight for the long haul. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Just been told a job I want is in the pipeline! Wooooooohoooo! Oh and 27 days sobriety here! But hanks guys for the continued words of wisdom and hope!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Great news about the job Buggirl! Day 27 here too. Observed way too many sweating glasses of Chardonnay at outdoor cafes in my neighborhood today, but I didn't cave. Instead, I made up another pitcher of "Sassy Water" (if you haven't heard of it, it is water infused with ginger, lemon, cucumber and mint). SW doesn't cause hangovers nor guiltovers!

What an active thread this has become. Go team August!
Old 08-27-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

day 1 starting all over again

Hi,
I am starting all over again to be sober! I think I drink from loneliness and shyness and anxiety.Not sure , but it doesn't help. Just makes me feel bad the next day. So I am very excited and happy to begin a journey to sobriety hopefully one day at a time. Glad to be in class of august 2014.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Way to go Buggirl and welcome Ruby. This is a great class.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Welcome Badsneakers and hello to everyone else!

Slowly winding down day 9 here.

I won't drink tonight!!
Old 08-27-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Winding down on Day 16 and my cravings are increasing. I know it's because I haven't eaten in 7 hours not good. Need to take care of that! Hugs to you all A-Team !! Stay sober! Stay Strong! Keep flexing those sober muscles!! They do get stronger with every day !
Old 08-27-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Way to go Herradura! I love your new reasoning. That will save you a ton of money and you won't have to be around all that booze.

Hello to everyone else old and new!

It's 8:30pm here and I just got home from grocery shopping and sushi dinner feast with the kids. It was great, if not a bit expensive. When I left here last just a few short hours ago I was chanting I do NOT want to feel like crap tomorrow. Then as soon as I logged off I thought I won't feel bad if I just have 1 or 2. So I logged back in and read that sticky thread that has all the details with what alcohol does to each part of your body. That did that trick. One or two isn't worth it. Plus, I'm really trying hard now to lose this extra weight and the thought of alcohol calories just isn't worth it. Now that my belly is full of sushi and this awesome banana cinnamon tempura thing, I'm feeling strong. I have to admit though I cheated on my no dairy. There was some mango ice cream that came with the banana tempura and it was very very good. If I'm going to cheat on something, then I'm glad it was ice cream.

Good night everyone